Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube seems to have buried watch later into the dots menu, and in it's old place there's a button that marks the video as already watched. why. why you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube is loving with cytube's API access, which is annoying as gently caress since my internet friend and I use it to group watch stuff all the time. we tried using some alternatives, including discord search together thing. it sucks! awful interface, ads, desynchronization, random pausing etc. even has a watch limit. this is the difference between a project made by users for use and one made by two corps agreeing to work together for money. smdh.

thankfully there are other similar sites that still work for now. but quit loving over APIs, websites!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Cytube lets you use google drive, so you can download a video and upload it to your google drive. There's plenty of sites and extensions to download youtube videos with. Of course if you and your friends are doing something more spur of the moment that won't work, but it should be fine if the stuff you watch together is planned.

yeah we have alternatives for stuff planned ahead, we mostly just use it for late night impromptu. synctube seems to still be working at least. thanks, tho.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I switched to artificial sweeteners, took me like a week or two to get used to it and since then it's been fine. taste is not completely the same, but now that I've done that and also somewhat cut down on salt, I can actually taste food again. plus the health benefits. worth it, in my experience.

windows search is def trash, agent ransack was mentioned. I also like Everything, which seems to be loving magic because it's exactly what you want search to be but so fast it seems like it shouldn't be possible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

is pepsi ok posted:

I went to a restaurant with my wife awhile back and the hostess told us they don't accept walk ins and you have to have a reservation. The place was only like a quarter full, but we were like ok whatever and started to leave. The hostess then goes "hey wait you don't have to leave, you can download our app and make a reservation and then I can seat you."

so the restaurant is just a front for their data business then

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

also stuff that comes in those "resealable" plastic bags with a ziplock strip -- they seem to fail about half the time. either one side of the strip isn't glued strongly enough to the plastic and it just rips off after a few cycles, or the "cut here line" is in the wrong place and leaves a 1 mm of plastic to grip above the strip, or they don't align so you can't seal.

it's not exactly something that's gotten worse, but rather something i'd think manufacturing processes could've gotten right by now. some brands seem to to better than others, but anything that my local grocery store brand puts in those bags has a coin flip's chance of working.

yeah what's up with tear here stuff? I swear this poo poo used to work fine. now I just get out scissors every time. did they have to make them bullshit because too many people were just hulking out and tearing it apart or something? it's like less than useless now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
dollar tree has been doing 1.25 for awhile now, but today I saw signage for them adding 3 and 5 dollar items. great, the decent store is gonna become another dollar general, ain't it? gently caress off

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
grocery store in my town has these fancy new automatic sink faucets and they're kinda good. you can do the whole process without touching anything. also the hand dryer projects a little DRY text onto your hand for aiming which I find hilarious for some reason.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Riatsala posted:

Fruity Pebbles are still the artificially flavored sugar bullshit I loved as a kid but now an inexcusable number of the pebbles are stale, dense, inedible bits that ruin every bite. The QC on these are negligent

get fruity dyno bites instead

i get the ones with marshmallows :yum:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

surely this bodes well for my therapy group that does all our stuff via zoom

what could go wrong

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
use antifandom or similar to make wikis less poo poo

there's plugins too

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
do you think boomers will do that tho

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, but Riatsala can at least turn it off for himself, and then maybe try to sneak around the office and turn it off for any Boomer that leaves their PC unlocked, which in my experience is most of them.

There is also a Group Policy setting that can disable it, so if you're chummy with anyone in IT you can ask them to try and push it through:
https://www.prajwaldesai.com/disabl...ests%20feature.

that's true. goonspeed.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube does that to me and it drives me nuts.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like image sharing has gotten worse. wanna be able to just post images straight to discord or line etc without saving it locally first or linking the post that contains it. gonna force me to boost your engagement? how about I just not share poo poo at all bitch

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i probably already posted about this itt but I think YouTube buried watch later even farther. it's like three clicks deep now. yet there are several other one click buttons I never use. gently caress off.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I know someone who did dona bunch of professional dog training with theirs and that dog has still eaten my clothes and ran and jumped nails first directly into my nuts, so I have my doubts!!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i think there's some plugins that will intentionally feed wrong data to tracking bots and stuff. poison that well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

So SLC Punk was real, except no one is trying to take the system down from the inside

there's a line in that talking about something like "we were all so sure the world was gonna end" and like, it didn't, so wtf do we do now? and I kind of think about that a lot

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I don’t know how old people are dealing with all this garbage. It’s overwhelming

they yell at anyone younger to "fix it".

I have at least two people in my life that watch a lot of TV and absolutely cannot or will not learn the concept of inputs. totally mystified by the concept. despite using the drat things hours a day for ages. I figured out inputs when I was like 5, shits been around since at least the 80s, what's the problem?? why do I have to fix the thing you use all the time and I use never?? shouldn't you know it better than me?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah hobbyists would have fixed printers by now if hobbyists ever wanted to actually print anything. anyone with the required knowledge doesn't want anything to do with the cursed devices.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

All You Can Eat posted:

Also air horns are quieter these days? The factory must be getting thrifty with how much noise they put into the can. I asked them about it but they kept muttering unintelligibly.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
seems foolish to be giving more responsibilities to the employees since they already understaff so hard

surely nothing will become shittier from this!!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
cool winamp skins there patreon

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RuBisCO posted:

I'm terrified to search for anything on youtube that's not incredibly specific because after like 5 videos related to your search, it'll just shunt a ton of poo poo including ads. This would only be annoying except they once showed me this promoted video ad for ... i dont know skin care or some poo poo that was just a forehead with a bunch of loving holes in it and I have mad trypophobia.

please block ads

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
ads vs blockers will be an arms race until it gets to a breaking point where people either stop using the service altogether or organized mass piracy starts happening, i'd imagine. seems like a big waste of time/money/effort/hardware to me, but :capitalism: i guess

We Got Us A Bread posted:

It's about spooky stuff (https://www.youtube.com/@ReignBot, we're on a break right now doing other stuff) although my wife was a baker for a Japanese bakery for a while, so she does have bread experience. My av comes from a love of Japanese pro wrestler Satoshi Kojima, and his love affair with bread.

https://twitter.com/cozy_lariat/status/1517996360183681024?lang=en

ay nice, i've been subbed to yall for awhile now

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
PayPal sent me a new card to replace my old one. it had several options for activating it. I of course tried to use the website url, but going there just directed to my usual PayPal page. didn't even try to load whatever it was allegedly going to.

so ok fine I do the phone method. somehow, an activation phone line has fuckin business hours. so I try it the next day, and it goes through. didn't talk to anyone either, so I dunno wtf.

so now my card is activated, great? no, it's still hosed. I've had the previous one for years set to just draw from my bank when I use it, so I don't have to actually trust PayPal to keep my balance for me. updating to this new card has apparently stopped that, so it just tells me oh it was denied, why don't you move some money over to PayPal?? I of course cannot find anything on the website to set it up the old way. I'll try the phone tree again eventually. during business hours.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
turns out my paypal issue is because they have removed the backup funding feature altogether

well there goes any reason i ever had to use that card

gently caress you paypal i don't trust you with my money, i do not want to keep a balance on you for more than a few minutes ever

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

All You Can Eat posted:

This will sound super hipster of me, but I stopped using PayPal in 2005 when they froze all that money Lowtax was raising for Hurricane Katrina relief

this and several other similar incidents over the years is exactly why I don't trust PayPal with a balance to start with, lol

they have a long history of going hey nice 500 bucks you got there. this is mine now. don't ask why.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
wth piracy if your subs suck, you can fix them yourself or get alternate ones. if you have plex or such it might even be semi automated.

as usual, piracy provides a superior service, cuz it's made by and for the user instead of maximizing some metric or whatever

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i'm amazed at how many useless features discord can add monthly yet we can't get a simple word filter or a block feature that like, works

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

To be honest I've had pretty good luck with chat options once you get to message with a human being. Still annoying as hell playing the kings quest style prompts to find the secret passage to a human being.

I've had good luck with either saying agent it just crumpling like a bag of chips when it asks a question

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh yeah everyone knows that

back when i had to call microsoft like, monthly for 360 problems i had this poo poo down real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

corn syrup