Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

Ok thread, what ad blocker should I use for Android?

You change your DNS to adguard's, install Firefox as your browser and use ublock origin on it, and sideload a 3rd party youtube app like Newpipe.

I know people like vanced but I couldn't get it to work for me. Newpipe was more straightforward.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

wikia / fandom is basically a complete collection of all the things that make the Internet lovely.

I didn't realize they bought out something awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Firefox with Ublock is all you need. If you switch to desktop mode, you can even play videos in the background, something Google has been selling as a feature of YT premium or whatever it's called. No need for any additional apps.

Adguard's dns often blocks ads in apps, so that right there makes it good to use. And I find youtube's desktop site to be a pain on a mobile screen which is why I use another app. But the Firefox adblocker is good for video sites where you can't get someone to bypass their ads in apps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Armacham posted:

Yeah anyone in marketing or advertising should just jump off a cliff into a volcano

Hey, there are degrees here. People operating the camera for a commercial, they're just getting by. People creating a marketing campaign? They're rotten. People developing new ways to shove even more ads down your throat in more deceptive ways? They should be entombed in concrete to avoid contaminating the environment.

Professor Shark posted:

It drives my wife nuts when I turn the tv on mute when an ad comes on. They irritate the hell out of me and using ublock has made me even less tolerant

I remember getting a Tivo back when they were new, crazy technology. You hit select-play-select-3-0-select and then the advanced button skipped commercial breaks. It was magic.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 25, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Welp, YouTube seems to have finally defeated my ad blocker. I'm seeing commercials for the first time in forever.

I had one ad try to play but I got a few seconds of audio with no video. Then my ad blocker shoved that poo poo back down the dark hole where it belongs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

not really. i had to buy a smart tv recently when my 15 year old samsung died, which i wasnt happy about . but its not that big a deal, i just never connected it to the internet and only use the hdmi feeds. so it behaves just like a regular tv, thankfully

I bought a TV last year and specifically paid extra for a model that wasn't a smart TV. Every time I turn it on, it wants me accept a licensing agreement and connect to the Internet and I have to cancel out of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Have you considered connecting it to the internet? Then disconnecting it?

At this point hitting cancel is more me flipping the bird to "smart" features than anything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Huh, maybe things can become less lovely? The FTC is suing Amazon basically over all of the enshittification strategies they've employed over the past few years. It's focused on their Amazon Marketplace strategies and while I can think of a few other areas where they could use some government oversight, I'm not going to complain if they can get some of this poo poo undone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I use Podcast Guru and never noticed any ads or anything like that, but I might be blocking all of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Triikan posted:

Remember when some people were burning podcasts onto cds, so the podcasts limited themselves to 74 minutes?

I used to do that because my car only had a cd player and I could only play them through a computer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

That actually makes perfect sense in the early days of smart phones, back before most cars had an 3.5 mm input (let alone bluetooth / a USB port). You just had a CD player, so if you wanted to listen to a podcast while driving, you might as well just burn it to a CD and listen to it that way.

Hell, my wife's car (a Camry from the turn of the century, which will live forever) still doesn't have a 3.5 mm input -- we use an adapter to plug her phone into the cassette player.

Yep, and as I posted I absolutely did this. I had a 40 minute commute at 10pm; burning a show to CD cost me a dime.

I still have that car that only has a CD player, it's old enough to drink at this point and shows no signs of dying.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Use the website in Firefox with an adblocker of choice. There's also a 'play in background' plugin for firefox.

Newpipe also plays youtube videos with the screen off on your phone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Biplane posted:

Guys, I don't think we survived that plane crash in 93. I think we're in hell.

That's stupid. Hell would be full of nazis.... oh poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ArmedZombie posted:

ugh I'm going to wait as long as possible to get another car because I'll have to hack it

I've been driving my car since 2004. I'll buy a new one when it dies but it refuses to die.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I once got picked up in a Tesla Model X with the gullwing doors and everything and I have no idea how someone who drives Lyft could afford one or why anyone who could afford one would drive Lyft.

I got a Lyft from a guy who rented the car they were driving that day. I guess if you can clear the rental fee each day it can work, but it strikes me as a really bad idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Candy bars are $3. But don't worry! You can buy two fun size candy bars for $1.29!

Also:

Popcorn. loving popcorn. $65 for a tin.

Those are 40 gallon drums, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

A chain of sports store is sorta getting there, but not yet there. You have a bin, in which you can put your bag, in which you lower your products one by one. The RFID reader automatically reads them as you put them in your backpack.

Doing it all at once is more complicated (many different RFID tags attempting to send their ID at the same time is a problem) but i do think it's a problem that can be solved.

It's one of those things that has been just shy of working for decades. Close enough that any big retailer keeps trying to make it work, but every time someone figures out how to deal with a big problem with it there's another one that arises.

Walking into a place, grabbing stuff off the shelves, and walking out again with everything paid for and no fiddling with transactions or cashiers will probably happen eventually. It's a trickier problem than it seems at first glance, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

This actually brings up something really dumb that is poo poo recently which is spam filters. Both phone and email spam lists are based on people marking them as spam. So if enough people mark emails from a certain sender or texts from a certain sender as spam, everything they send ends up in spam folders. For the most part this is good, except a lot of people mark things as spam just because they don't want to receive the emails, not because the emails are spam. Like, instead of unsubscribing from a lovely mailing list with their ISP that they signed up for, they just mark the emails as spam. And I get it, because no one wants to get emails from their ISP. Except in cases like this it causes those emails to get marked as spam, so you couldn't have known that your email was going to get shut off.

This happens with e.g. texting too. So like right now the job market is incredibly poo poo. If you get a text or an email from a place you applied to, you're technically best off marking it as spam because that might get them placed on spammer lists which could prevent their texts or emails from reaching your competition, the other people who applied for the job.

I've had a few responses to job apps over the last year go into my spam folder. It's generally considered the sender's responsibility to stay off of spam lists except in this day and age you can do everything possible to avoid being on a spam list and still end up there because people you email mark the non-spam emails as spam. If you work for a place that gets marked as spam incorrectly and you're the one who handles that poo poo, you're going to have to put in an inordinate amount of time and effort to get your company removed from spam lists, because different providers use different lists and there are dozens of lists that get used. You'll have to put in huge amounts of time to get yourself removed from each one of those lists individually.

Email in general is loving terrible and compromised/gamed beyond belief, much like SEO.

If I didn't sign up for a marketing e-mail and they started sending them to me anyways, then it's spam and should be blocked and the sender should be blocked until they stop doing that. It is not my responsibility to opt-out of poo poo that I never opted into. And there are a lot of big companies who just automatically sign you up for garbage without informed consent. So flag them, block them, and get them blocked until they stop doing this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TBLALV posted:

Youtube keeps recommending me random video game LPs or something that were released only 3 days ago and have like, 400 views max, even though I haven't actually watched any video game related stuff in ages.

Pretty sure it's people who just pay for THE ALGORITHM to boost them

I keep getting those as well, though I watch (and produce) enough nerdy video game stuff that I just figured the all mighty algorithm was trying to boost small creators with some kind of interest overlap. People buying boosting does seem sadly likely.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mirage posted:

Adobe (fairly radically) changed the interface in Adobe Acrobat, and now everybody at my workplace is freaking out about how they can't do anything.

It has almost the exact same exposed functionality, just now all the buttons are in different places.

I can't even figure out why they changed it. There's been almost nothing added to the program, and the old interface would have easily held what did change.

Some ergonomics firm made a couple million bucks, maybe.

That last update to Acrobat is truly awful interface design. It took me forever to figure out basic things because of the button layout didn't make any sense and they buried common functions.

Outrail posted:

I donated to a wildlife charity foundation and they do the same thing. Just piles of mail outs every few months with gardening gloves and cards etc etc. I stopped donating because of it but they keep sending it out anyway. Just take my money and don't bother me again tia.

I donate to MSF from time to time and now every couple of weeks I get phone calls from people to ask for more donations. On the plus side, I get it; it's hard work and pushing for donations is a good use of volunteer time when most people can't drop everything and go to a warzone. But thw calls get on my nerves and it's a lot harder to tell someone to gently caress off when they're calling because they actually need help and aren't just running a scam.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 7, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Peter Falk posted:

I have so little trust for modern capitalism that I'm going to spend $100 at a lumber yard and then build a bed for my kid rather than buy something composed of sawdust and used motor oil.
Yeah I just booked up all my free time for the next week, but drat it at least I'll know that that bed isn't poisoning my family or about to fall apart.

I'm going to assume you haven't checked the price of wood lately if you think you can do this for $100.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

The lumber itself has gotten shittier too, at most places the overwhelming majority of boards will be warped or split.

A lot of wood was imported from Russia and that got closed off. Wood is a mess right now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redshirt posted:

I got a lot of wood up here if you truly need it.

Only if it's a mess. :wink:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've read the sequel to Canticle for Liebowitz.

Don't read the sequel to Canticle for Liebowitz.

Also, I just got recommended a book that is like Canticle and The Name of the Rose got together and had a baby: The Second Sleep. I'm only 50 pages in but so far it's decent. Not as good as its obvious inspirations, but readable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wash bucket posted:

They generate profit.

~*the end*~

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/funko-pop-30-million-inventory-collectibles/

Looks like they don't even do that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

While we're at it let's lock all non-navigational or hands-free mobile apps when traveling above 20mph, there's no goddamn reason Pokémon Go should be the loving vanguard of responsible phone/vehicle use.

Sorry y'all, I get real hot about car culture in the US. It's the loving pits.

You are aware that vehicles often have passengers, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thathonkey posted:

no it's part of the onion

But the same basic thing happened to the AV Club: purchased, immediately gutted, and then repeatedly chopped away to make sure that nothing of value was left. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got AI writing articles now, but I'm not going to that blighted wasteland to check.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think Amazon search is actually getting worse. I know that's a crazy thought given how they were leaders in the "getting shittier for no good reason" field with making their search results come back with fewer and fewer relevant things while pushing up garbage to the top of the results, but this is getting absurd.

Take a wild guess how many results I have to go through when I search for "[television show] blu ray" before I get to a blu ray disk of the television show I was looking for.

Eight to the first result that was actually something relevant to my search. 46 to the second one that actually matched which was the most recent blu ray release for the show, which you'd think would be the result you'd want at the top of the list.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Spec Ops doesn't have any decisions though. The biggest scene is practically linear, and they say it's a choice because you could simply just stop playing before you did that thing, that was the other choice.

The big narrative hurdle for games who want to say something "important" is what happens when a player says, "No." And shockingly, they're not equipped for that and it breaks their stories.

When Bioshock was released, I was already sick of games with handholding guide characters who told you every single move to make. So before I exited the bathesphere at the beginning of the game, I decided I was going to do the exact opposite of whatever the guy on the radio told me to do. I heard so many 'Would you kindly..." lines repeated over and over that I went "Would you kindly gently caress off." Of course, when I got to the twist, the story failed since I hadn't engaged with the game the way I was intended to.

When I went to play Spec Ops: The Line, I already knew what happens in the game so I just decided to see what happens if I didn't do war crimes. Turns out you're not allowed to progress out of the tutorial without attacking civilians so I just uninstalled.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

:lmao: that anyone would use a non FOSS software solution for streaming your own media, if it's not made by hobbyist turbonerds it will enahittify, learn to love clunky interfaces and jank

People: I am going to rely on for profit commercial products in a declining economy where nearly every investment loses money, even though slightly less convenient non-commercial alternatives exist

Same people: :qq: how could the vc firm do this to me

"Yeah, that interface bug that makes everything annoying to work with has existed for five years. You can always fix it yourself if it really bothers you; the rest of us just got used to it."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had a better time at Bryce than Zion, but they're in spitting distance of each other.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Outrail posted:

Can somebody please develop an AI tool that responds to website optimization emails and wastes their time negotiating prices and projects until they go out of business?

The problem is those businesses are already using AI to make those e-mails and negotiate prices. Welcome to the lovely AI future where it's bots flooding everything including eachother forever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

This was the state of things like 4-5 years ago.

In the last couple of years, Google has rolled out something called the Helpful Content Update, which requires another huge binder full of criteria for the quality raters to use. Great to hear they've laid all these people off; I'm sure that's going to do wonders for search results quality.

Oh hey, there's a shittier thing I noticed this week: google has started returning shopping results as the default. As in pricing and store ratings, notnjust shops getting pushed to the top of the search results. Google was already nearly unusable, now it's worse.

I feel like I almost want to go back to a 1994 yahoo style curated yellow pages for the Internet instead of this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thathonkey posted:

we were a one volume household growing up. i think it was letter h. no idea where it came from

My father bought a set of ten year out of date World Books (the bargain bin of encyclopedias) at a garage sale. It was missing two volumes.

I still read them cover to cover because I was that kind of weird kid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

20 Blunts posted:

after a windows update recently my wifi often just disappears and the dumbed-down windows "troubleshooter" dies trying to find it.

Like the little router symbol and menus are just gone

Have to hard reboot the laptop and it comes back

I had that last week and rebooting would blue screen. The new hotness for turning Windows to trash here was an update moved all of my local documents folder to OneDrive. OneDrive was lovely enough already without it literally abducting my files and mixing them together with things I already saved there by accident because Microsoft software tries to stealthily force everything into OneDrive and makes saving locally harder.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

At least our implementation results in two "Documents" folder on your computer where some applications use one, and others use the other.

Depending on how you open the One Drive version, it also won't let you drag and drop files anywhere, like the desktop or an email

I've still got my Documents folder, it just won't let me do anything with it. I wound up unhooking my OneDrive account from Windows, creating a new C:\Users\id\docs directory, copying everything into that folder, and then unpinning "Documents" from explorer and pinning "Docs" instead. It's a stupid solution that definitely will not cause trouble down the road, but it saves me from the immediate problem.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought I'd pick up House of Leaves to read on an upcoming vacation, and Amazon continues to be shittier.

You get a tin sign with a stolen picture of the book when you search for it. "Sponsored", too, so Amazon is doing an extra bang up job.

Then there's thebl product description which I saw because I was trying to make sure I had the right edition:

None of that makes sense to the point that I don't know if it's part of some metanarrative or if an AI went rogue after trying to make a description of House of Leaves.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Even nature can't avoid getting shittier. The sun just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer today.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time_pants posted:

I'm calling my shot here: within the next 10 years, Windows is going to become a subscription service.

Finally, the year of linux on the desktop will come.

It definitely looks like Microsoft wants to do that, but I'm dubious they can effectively pull it off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Google wasn’t even good in terms of accuracy it was easy to use, looked nice and had no or minor ads (lol)

The past 20 years is an excellent example of capitalism killing a public good

Google was amazing for accuracy compared to everyone else.

When someone passed me the link to http://alpha.google.stanford.edu it was like magic. Suddenly I could actually find things and not use paid for results and people gaming the algorithm to have their useless, ad-filled site come out on top.

And in the decades since then, google has become what they fought against: altavista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Outrail posted:

Improving bad things requires the cooperation of people who benefit from things being bad. Seems like a solid system.

Congratulations on uncovering the central truth behind every aspect of human history.