Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My TV is 15 years old and still going strong. Are all TVs "smart" now, or can you buy a normal TV and avoid all that dumb bullshit?

not really. i had to buy a smart tv recently when my 15 year old samsung died, which i wasnt happy about . but its not that big a deal, i just never connected it to the internet and only use the hdmi feeds. so it behaves just like a regular tv, thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

It's kind of annoying, too, because in the Fallout universe, there are canonical cars driven during the time just before the war, and they didn't look like that.

They looked like these:

edit: though I'm not sure how much classic Fallout is even lore anymore :\

its not really. bethesda cranked the 50s cosplay up to 11 and also made it so everywhere on earth is a perma waste. f1 and 2 laid down the basic lore but ultimately aren't the blueprint any more

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Someone should figure out a p2p image share platform. A lot of people have enough bandwidth at home that dumb image macros could be entirely decentralized.

yeah. for me to ruthlessly leech from :twisted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anonumos posted:

On Windows computers F6 usually puts focus on the address bar in Windows explorer and most browsers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

naem posted:

Van™️©️ Life©️™️©️ used to be a wacky fun alternative thing you could do temporarily and make a youtube™️©️©️™️ channel to document it because of what a free spirit you are

then it became “I can’t afford rent” and now it’s “vans cost $200k and you poop in a bucket”

the climbing bros i know who drive around to climb rocks around the continent definitely didnt pay 200k for their janky hobomobile

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

infographics are extremely ftw. the more info the better

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its too bad all the airbag and saefty poo poo is tied into the bcu/ecu these days. would be nice to buy a safer car (structural and airbag setup) and just gut the thing and put a k24 and homebrew ecu in it instead. ah well. will probably buy a volvo 7xx turbo wagon or some wacky saab instead

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

euphronius posted:

In Wednesday I drove 300 miles

If I went 55 (speed limit ) it would have taken 5:30

If I went 70 (I did ) it took 4:20

Not including stops

Edit

The math is probably woefully wrong

the point is you make a lot of assumptions about average speeds. if you're travelling a long distance in low traffic, speeding is definitely the way to go. in typical daily mixed city/highway driving, your actual, average speed is probably very minimally impacted by your top speed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cars loving suck now. its brutal

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cars suck now, for the most part, due to compliance with government regulations. mandates for minimum crash safety metrics and "smart" features like lanekeeping and backup cameras have made modern cars heavy, expensive to build and complex in their maintenance. all in an effort to make it so the driver has to be less and less attentive and can feel free to crash their car whenever because they (the occupant, certainly not pedestrians or cyclists) will be safe. couple that weight with mandates for minimum fuel efficiency + emissions standards and you have all sorts of wacky tricks to meet those requirements. turbochargers on every engine, more complex engine management, etc.

they've advanced automotive efficiency technology in some ways but ultimately these bloated expensive pieces of poo poo are even worse for society, even if they're "better" for motorists

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's time to get rid of cars

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol thinking about that nytimes (?) article about a libertarian detective, or perhaps Philip K DIcks classic "Ubik"/

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mirage posted:

Not necessarily a "thing getting shittier" problem, but I'm disappointed that an AT&T "YOU WILL" commercial from the 90s never came true: The one with the guy loading up his pockets with stuff in a grocery store and then walking out through a scanner that instantly scans everything he picked up. THAT's the checkout experience I want. I know it would involve a tremendous amount of bullshit work to achieve in practice but I don't care. Workers doing bullshit work is the American way.

iirc amazon is developing this tech currently and trialing it at whole foods i think?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

shut the gently caress up about the suicide cords jesus loving chruist

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Buddy e-commerce is like 30 years old, it's a bit late in its life cycle for the 'doing things on the Internet isn't a real job' Boomer canard

falling for the most low effort troll ever

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

euphronius posted:

Why would you ever use it on a phone

:confused:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

duncandisorderly posted:

wow, tough crowd.

you think I'm judging someone because I got impatient with them? gently caress's sake.

"It's a supermarket, not your fiefdom.

People can buy as much stuff as they want and pay how they want.

If you don't like it, that's your problem."

what was this thread for again?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:thanks:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is the service that does the interviews

https://www.hirevue.com/

lol every single person on that page is looking at a screen. i think that service IS an ai

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Yes. AI dudes could do a much better job of explaining it, but basically cars are designed to run at freeway speeds/RPMS, so starting the motor and letting it idle doesn't necessarily push all the oil at the right pressure through all the parts of the system. Also when the engine block is cold, the computer on your car will make it run very rich while its idling. Combine these two and you get a lot of gunk buildup and excessive wear on the seals and piston rings and poo poo.

what. no. the engine doesn't know what speed the vehicle is travelling at, onyl the crank speed and load. cars run at very low rpms on the highway because the efficiency of highway design and low rolling resistance means there is low load on the engine while cruising. so start up/idle rpm is often close to cruising rpm. and the engine is designed to run at ALL speeds between the stall point and the redline. thats why those indicators are (used to be) on the speedometer. how would the car ever efficiently accelerate if it couldn't run through all of its potentional rev ranges

idling the engine is less necessary with modern synthetic oils but in the very cold, the motor oil is still viscous and has less lubricity. not to mention the steel/aluminum changes shape and size when cold. the "gunk buildup" and "excessive wear" would come from someone firing the engine up and then jumping on the throttle and pushing the cylinder linear velocity to very high reciprocating speeds before the motor oil and moving parts are at operating temperature and can handle the friction

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

does your car do 700rpm on the freeway? no? ok then

i didnt say exactly idle speed dumbass. cruising at 90 km/h in a modern car will put you around 1400-1800 rpm, that is relatively close to idle, considering the full rev range of an automobile engine. do you honestly think that the engine is designed to only be run at loving lawnmower rpm ranges? lmao. nice cherry pick from my post. suffice it to say basically everything you wrote was wrong

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sitting and idling the car for an hour: bad
allowing the car to gently come to operatuing temp (either through a short idling period or a period of low load (gentle driving): good

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im fuckign redlining here

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

if your total rev range between teh stall point and redline is 500 to 7000, and your idle is 700, 1400 is close to 700.

ANYWAY. stupid as gently caress derail and its making GBS threads up the thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

teh thread is warmed up for the day, it can begin its journey

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

tangentially related: sometime back during covid, when supply chains got all hosed up, material suppliers and a lot of fab and machine shops started quoting poo poo with ultra short quote durations. like i remember at the height of absurdity my local metal supplier started quoting me for 15 minutes. if i didnt place the order immediately the price would change lol. since going back to normal, material supply has stabilized somewhat so some places started lengthening those quote durations again but some places just left it on their quoting sheets and didnt change the wording ("this quote is valid until 14:24:32" or whatever so its just some automated system spitting it out). i dont have a problem with it usually but i'm getting an engine block and head decked by a fly cutter and i responded to a quote today that i was sent yesterday and they said the price has changed lmfao. bitch its a material removal process! what cost changed?!?!?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

I need a second garage cuz the first one is just for a ton of junk.

mine has my summer car in it so my winter drivers still get cold :(

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spebding a substantial, considerable amount of time posting about, thinking about, and talking about ads. ftw

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Lots of white people being very proud here

lol yup. beaming proudly when they say to the guy behind the counter "make it how you eat it" with a knowing wink

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Sloppy steaks lol

lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Here, have some more content.

lmao epic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol at goons missing the point by a fuckibg mile

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

You've read it?? I've never met anyone who has.

euphronius posted:

It’s a classic lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it is really good tho

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Google on the take from toll road operators or something? Whenever I use google maps now it will try to direct me to a faster route that it doesn't mention is a toll road so I can pay $5 to save 2 minutes. I have to pick up my phone while I'm driving and press a prompt on the screen to make it stay on the route I told it I wanted. I was driving about 600 miles on Friday and it kept telling me it had found a faster route and trying to redirect me onto a toll road that, when looking at the screen, it claimed was actually 30 minutes slower.

toll roads lol. crazy rear end poo poo. i cant believe that's a normal thing in most of the world

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol yeah, hm i think what cars need are MORE electronic driver overrides.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I think you should get therapy if you have that much anxiety about it. I’m already pretty leery about giving the state that much power over me, tech companies are not better

probably most people feel this low level of anxiety. i think its rare to be very confident as a motorist. which is part of why car centered cultrue ultimately sucks rear end. most people just wanna get from point a to point b, its unreasonable to force most of the population to master a high stakes skill like driving and do it competently at all times just to move around imo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

run on sentience posted:

Stevia is the most nasty tasting and gut destroying of the artificial sweeteners and they sneak that poo poo into everything these days, not just diet/diabetic products (and I feel bad for the people who use them who have to put up with the decent tasting sweeteners being replaced by stevia in new formulations of these products). No evidence of it being healthier than aspartame or the others, some evidence of increased risk of heart disease and stroke, but "it's naaaaatural, not like those evil chemicals!"

Just let things be less sweet. When I buy something with reduced sugar or no added sugar, that's all I'm asking for. I expect the product to be less sweet and fewer calories than the full/added sugar version. I don't expect it to be twice as sweet with the thick filmy toxic aftertaste of stevia.

On the other hand, the abundance of options of flavoured but unsweetened soda/seltzer water has gotten much less lovely the past few years.

probably one of the #1 contributors to obesity the world over is the widespread availability of something known in nutritional science as "highly palatable food". basically food that has been highly processed to be easy to eat, easy to eat a LOT of, and easy to digest. generally through the addition of sweet boosters like sugar and artificial sugar, or umami boosters like salts. nothing specifically wrong with processed food, in fact you process food every time you prepare it into a meal. but the more i work in the food industry, the more i see this type of insidious poo poo. these foods aren't processed like we chop and grind and cook meat, and cook and bake foods into finished meals. these foods are so highly processed that it's more appropriate to describe them as engineered, and manufactured.

probably not a mindblowing revelation but my combination of last year joining a food equipment engineering firm and seeing these types of facilities + my new focus on health, strength and athleticism (of which good nutrition obv underpins all), its become really obvious that this poo poo is the #1 problem. its like freaking crack, or slot machines, or gacha games, or w/e. and it's expressly designed to be that way

its completely busted the human brain and people really need to get back to just eating regular rear end food, like you say

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i find it trivially easy to not drive drunk. in fact i do it every day

fun fact: britons call it "drinksy drivesy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anyway. alcoholic motorists slaughtering countless bystanders and people apologizing for them isn't really noticing something got shittier for no reason

we call that "out of scope" on the modmin team. and that's another ticket successfully closed