Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

ghost emoji posted:

I haven't used Spotify in a while. Tried it out at work today. I counted six ads in a row before they played two songs and then played more ads. I am so sick of advertising. I don't have any money, I'm not buying your poo poo!

I think if you use it in the browser, ublock origin will block the ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I ended up at McDonald's the other day, but we had a bike and the dog with us and the only way to see a menu was to download their app and then give them your location. OK the veggie wraps were reduced to £2 each and we ordered through Google pay, which was nice, but good lord that thing spams your phone hard if you don't shut it down. "come get a 99p big mac" "if you order a chicken burger we'll give you extra points!" "have you been to McDonald's today???"

Maybe if there was a way to tell it I was vegetarian I would have let it spam me a little more before uninstalling it, but I guess they don't want my data after all.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Unless they've done some bullshit to stop you opening stuff in new tabs! Yay! You didn't really mean that middle click I'm sure.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think you're looking for Matrix.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can get an addon to force it and it's seamless, never see new reddit again.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There's a ublock origin script which blocks them, if you check the reddit, should be in the first few pages from what I remember.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

shazbot posted:

Man I hope so. They phased out the "scan all your items as you shop" handheld deal real quick. I assume people just stole them all.

The IKEA here just lets you scan poo poo as you walk around and chuck it in your bag, then you just scan the app as you leave. It's great, you could nick so much poo poo if you wanted to. I've been through it like six times now and I've never been checked.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

At least in my local supermarkets in the UK, self checkouts have got better in the last 10 years I reckon. Bigger packing areas, more responsive screens, fewer “unexpected item” warnings. My local Tesco even has ones designed for trolleys rather than baskets, with a parking spot for the trolley and enough space in the bagging area for a whole trolley worth.

Yeah, they just installed one in the Aldi here and it's smooth. Even worked out that I can hang my bike bags on the back of the bagging area and pack straight into them, which is cool. Quick and easy.

The tesco one which has been in forever flags bleedin' everything though because it hates the bags. What a pain.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

bossy lady posted:

I just got a new phone and it is made of the worlds most slippery material. When I'm talking to someone on the phone and am pinching it between my cheek and my shoulder I can feel it slipping down. I can feel it sliding between my fingers when I go for it in my pocket or hold it up to text or browse the internet. If I put it on the couch next to me, the divot in the couch made by my rear end can cause it to slide forward and off the couch. I live in mortal fear of this thing slipping out of my hand like a bar of soap and shattering on the ground.

Cases! I got a nice leather one (from upleder while I was living in germany) and I wouldn't use this thing without it, even though it makes it much bulkier. You can generally get more form-fitting ones with a non-slippy back on too from like, amazon. The phone even came with a case which wasn't terrible for that.

Without one though it has a glass back, and I can see that being trouble in multiple ways.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Every time I get a marketing call from my internet/mobile provider, my phone marks it as SPAM in big red font.

They're not wrong.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have an ancient orange Vax which will probably live forever, but if it ever does die then I'll probably just buy a Henry. How can you say no to that face!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Thunderbird just did this. A new update a month or two ago changed all of the font and it's all closer together and it makes it much harder to read anything. No idea who came up with that idea.

Almost came here and posted when it did that. :arghfist:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, I had a look at discord mobile thinking "it can't be so bad"

You're right, this sucks.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

Why would you ever use it on a phone

I've spent a minute of so thinking about how to respond to this, everything from sincere reasons to memes, and I've just decided not to.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Fuckin' Google Drive. This is the second time it's done this, the only way to get it to work again seems to be a completely clean install, and it will not let me log in with Firefox. Even with all extensions disabled. It just gives me "something went wrong lol" as an error.

I keep my Keepass folders in drive, which despite being tagged "always let me look at these" won't work without the program open. So I have to go into it on my phone, send the password to myself via Discord or something, then log in via Chrome, and then get all the settings set up again, because clean install.

What a loving pain in the arse.

I miss Dropbox, but they made that poo poo too, it doesn't let you install it on more than three devices now.

(It has read/write permissions. Of course it does. It worked fine before my last reboot.)

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 8, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the amount of discord posts in this thread since the update makes me think you should all hit da bricks. gently caress a platform

If only it were that easy.

I dislike the privacy issues on Discord and it has issues, such as this new stupid update, but it's also where everyone is. The ease of making new servers is great. Voice chat is generally extremely solid and works well, and it allows me to send pictures to my PC without having to mess with fuckin' google drive or whatever.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

My YouTube feed is unusable. There are broadcasts ??? And shorts and all kind of crap idk

What happened to videos

Edit

It got worse today even !!

It’s getting worse by the day !!

https://old.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/rpmx2y/how_to_remove_related_to_your_search_related/

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There's some good use for adverts. This year I wrapped all my christmas gifts in pages from The Metro, which is full of half-page ads. The chocolate got a mcdonalds advert, the little animals I'd sewn got one for a Star Trek Chronograph Watch. I didn't get to use the one for Mean Girls, but there were some good ones and it went down well.

Wrap your presents in free newspaper, it's awesome and much easier to recycle than "proper" wrapping paper.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's makes sense. But who doesn't wrap everything at 3am the night before!

You can use the copious amount of free paper that amazon gives you underneath if you're worried and it's something damageable. I bought kitchen roll this week on sub/save and they gave me like 5m of brown paper to pad out the box.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Just put the frozen meal into the microwaves meal slot and say your prompt, and then the advance microwave meals ai will mix up all the core components in the meal into a slop like thing that if you squint really hard could conceivably look like what ever prompt you gave it! All in just 4 hrs!!! All yours for just $1800*

*plus additional $22.95 a month ai access fee.

**AI frozen microwave meals microwave only usable with AI frozen microwave meals, available through AI frozen microwave meals, meals subscription service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbzdGR-pOr8

Amazon tried to convince me I wanted one of these a while back. The OMNI-COOK! Replace all your kitchen gadgets with one, lovely kitchen gadget!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh man I went to Ikea the other day to get a box for a christmas present. Got to the checkout and they were all like 5 deep and everyone with trollies competely full of tat. Walked right past them all, tapped my card on the "scan it as you go" checkout, and was out of there in like 2 minutes, despite being flagged for a bag check. I don't think the lines had even moved by the time I was gone.

In the UK I don't think I've ever been pushed to sign up for anything at a till. Even places with loyalty cards generally don't ask. Maybe a "if you had one you'd get a discount?" but I think it's on you to do it yourself most of the time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

MrTargetPractice posted:

I forgot what it's called but there is some sort of patch out there that nukes everything shutty in wibdows 10 for you. It's a .bat so you can right click open it in a text editor to make sure nothing spooky is in there. Takes like 30 seconds to run and disables all that crap for you.

I think it's Windows10debloater. I have a whole folder of this junk so I don't have to track it down every time I reinstall:

Not sure why nohboard is in there, I should add 7zip.

I stuck with win7 until last year or so, until stuff was literally no longer working. "Upgrading" to windows 10 added literally nothing but hassle.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

So I must have had at least 6 months of Prime last year, and I didn't pay for it once. I think on one or two occasions it offered it to me for 99p, I accepted, got the thing I wanted shipped, and then when I went to cancel it gave me a full refund.

They just keep giving free trials. There literally hasn't been an occasion I needed it and it wasn't offering me a free trial.

That said, you have to bookmark this page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/mc/pipelines/cancellation because they hide the poo poo out of it. Sometimes the cancel button isn't even there wherever it's meant to be.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I've been on TorGuard VPN for a few years now and it's been very good. Openable ports for torrenting and plex, and their customer support had always been quick when I've needed it. You can find a permanent 50% off code if you Google around. I was on PIA before that and it was rubbish.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Jelly posted:

I like it when it lets me drop it off at Staples but it doesn't always let me do that, but fortunately my UPS store is less than ten minutes away. If you expect this to be a regular thing for you you can order your own shipping label printer for like under $100.

Buy a label printer, use it to print the return labels, and then return it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Plex seems to have a thing going where it can tell you where something is avaliable, and you can tie your netflix and poo poo into it. I haven't tried any of that, because I use Plex, and that means I am a dirty pirate, but it might be good?

I also installed the Plex app on my phone and had to instantly turn off notifcations because it kept spamming me about shows which had been added. None of which I give a poo poo about, I think they must be on plex free somewhere. If I cared about those things, I'd find them myself!

Also my step-counter app, which I use entirely to put a counter on my main phone screen and to alert me when I've hit a good amount of steps has also started spamming a message every day about how "walking 10k steps is good for you!" "why don't you go for a walk!"

Seems like something they added on the new year, and it's a lovely christmas gift, so I had to turn off ones for that too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

loving pointless e-waste. Bought a pack of 3 pregnancy tests, the first two (normal ones) worked perfectly. The last one was a digital one, which thought about the whole process for a while and then gave me a picture of the instruction manual. Apparently I didn't tilt it correctly or count the seconds right or something.

Thanks. What a piece of junk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWDLX93CNM

Look at all this poo poo! and it didn't even work!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Not exactly. :( Miscarried at 6-10 weeks so I'd been saving this one, which is why I'm doubly pissed off it didn't work! I'm just gonna buy the ones next time which look like pool-test strips instead of this branded garbage.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I ended up making a whole spreadsheet for "is it cheaper to bake this myself". (I call it my breadsheet)

A loaf of bread works out cheaper, if I'm not buying the cheapest white bread:

Dumpling wrappers, ridiculously cheap, but labour intensive:

A Chef John recipe for peacan pie brownies, just ridiculous:

Anything involving both butter and eggs instantly shoots up in price, although croissants still worked out very economical.

If I still had my own chickens, it would be less so, but... This isn't even including the stuff I have left over afterwards.

Edit: Pizza dough works out very economical, at least here in the UK where a Domino's Pizza is like £15

Probably add like £2-£3 in toppings with a bit of cheese, mozzerella, garlic and a tin of tomatoes, not too bad, that's enough dough for two large pizzas or four personal ones. But none of this takes into account labour or the costs of running the oven, which I could work into the sheet I guess, but I'd start to go mad...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 13, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Discord search is garbage because you can't specify that you want the just the word you searched for. If you search for train it'll also give you results for trained or training and it drives me mad.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I honestly prefer that, because I'd rather go in mostly blind. If I really want to know, I google for a more detailed summary.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Time to come join us in the Plex thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

We can't help you with :filez:, but everything else...

(Plex is amazing, and when it finally enshittifies completely I'm going to be very sad)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The only one I have is for Plex, and it's paid for itself by now. I looked at the ones for Nebula, but it would have taken 10 years to pay off and who knows if they're gonna be around by then.

Considering picking up the one for Bigbox, probably in the next sale.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Apparently the thing getting shittier is my ability to read really long posts.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I messaged Jon Crosby from VAST on Facebook a few years back, because I never got to tell David Berman that he was important and cool.

He friended me and I watched his page for a while, and it turns out all he posts are DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH garbage. I called him out on a post where he was saying people are poor because they don't cook and just eat fast food, and then unfriended him when I realised it was futile. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

My city is switching bus fares over to primarily be done through a mobile app instead of oldschool bus passes, where you buy the bus pass in the app and then wave your phone in front of a scanner on the bus. Because of this most places have stopped selling bus passes and pretty much the only place to get them anymore is by going to a lightrail station and buying them from the kiosk there (the train uses the same passes as the bus).

Except like half of the buses don't have the mobile fare scanner installed yet so if you only have the phone pass, you can't board.

So to ride the bus every day I have to ride the bus to a train station every once in a while just to pick up a bunch of passes. And if I ever run out of bus passes I have to walk 3 miles to the train station just to get more!!

I bought an in-app bus ticket the other day and every bus I went onto with it the driver just shrugged when it wouldn't scan and then waved us through. Got like four bus rides out of that single.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I've never had an issue just buying the tickets on the train, but I also haven't tried in a while.

They only check like 1/3 of the time anyway.

As a bonus, the Railcard website is dogshit. But you can get 3x the value of your tesco-clubcard points towards a railcard. The last one was £15 after the clubcard points. I then signed up for the very scammy looking site at the end of the railcard buying process, which gave me £20 cashback.

I've done this twice now, over two years of railcards. Absolutely worth it. Just remember to cancel the scam-site before the month is up.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 11, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, I live in a lovely area. No barriers here unless I go into the city. Most stations outside the cities don't have any sort of barriers. On the Manchester to Liverpool line I think it's only Manchester and Liverpool that have barriers, everything else is just come-as-you-are.

And if I don't have a ticket when I get to the city, I can always just buy it from the people on the station. Shrug!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 11, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I had a couple of Echo dots for my mum, for when she was going blind and her tremor wouldn't let her type easily. They were great. She could just shout at them and they'd play music or whatever, or if she wanted to google a fact, there it was.

I unpluged them the moment she died and wouldn't have another in the house. It's not just you.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

When is the last time you got a reward from a rewards card

Sheetz used to give you a free coffee after buying 12 but idk where that went

Once a year I use my Tesco points to get a free railcard, otherwise... Maybe if I still ate at subway? I remember getting a free sub like a decade ago.