Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, AdBlock still works on YouTube, use it ffs if you value your time

Sadly it doesn't work on horrible in-video "promotions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is actually an addon for this as well: SponsorBlock.

It's just an addon where users can flag chunks of a video as 'sponsored' and it automatically skips them. As such, the usefulness of it will scale with the popularity of a channel, but it catches quite a lot in my experience.

Very cool, thanks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kiminewt posted:

I don't understand why a reddit-style open-your-own-forum but with classic vBulletin isn't more popular. Other than being a very old-school thing wouldn't it be much better for small/medium communities than reddit/discord/FB groups?

Yes, but most internet users are so computer illiterate that anything that isn't available via an app might as well not exist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
YouTube is a series of tubes

That all siphon poo poo straight out of a sewer into a larger sewer and than back into the original sewer

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Denim Dude posted:

is it just me or did youtube stop filling out suggestions in the search bar in the last 24 hours? i used to be able to search for some poorly typed, poorly spelled poo poo and the suggestions would get me to where i wanted to go. now i get nothing. dead silence.

edit: it was just me

No, but the quality of the search is getting worse literally by the day

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

has google search like, poo poo the bed even more so lately? For a ton of different searches I’ve been getting something along the lines of the below:

Like garbled rear end URL with descriptors that kind of match what I’m looking for, but rarely precise.

Google has been recently merrily directing me to obvious scammy stores as well. It never used to happen, now it's a regular occurrence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

Ceasar die for the right to eat stale bread in salad, and you just go and throw that stale bread right in his dead, dead face like this.

Pah, no respect.

"Brutus, don't let them put in no loving chicken" - Immortal last words of the noble Caesar

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

What does it mean when someone says "computer touching"? I've seen this term twice today now!

It's what IT people call themselves when they pretend to have humility.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tarkus posted:

Spotify has this new AI DJ feature and the poo poo it serves me is just trash. Mostly that new whiny rap stuff. I know they still make normal rap and music but I think that the royalties are cheaper so the AI likes to recommend swill.

Uh, how is"ai DJ" different from the old radio?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tarkus posted:

I don't know I haven't had Spotify for more than a couple of years. This DJ interjects with some DJ like commentary every 4 or 5 songs while basing most of it on your liked songs but mixing it up with other stuff.

Chris that sounds awful.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

flesh dance posted:

I want oldschool last.fm to come back. It used to be so awesome for nerding out about music and discovering new things and just being solid-rear end streaming radio. But then it kept continually removing features & shittifying itself over and over to the point that I went from being an enthusiastic paid subscriber to cancelling my sub to not using it at all

I'm shocked that it still exists as a website, I don't know if it even does anything anymore

It's where people subscribed to other services go to count their scrobbles and other pointless statistics

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Amazon, the online store, kinda seems like a quaint atavism that's only weighing down Amazon, the surveillance empire.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wasn't there a Taylor Swift fan club leader who mysteriously disappeared one day and then resurfaced years later saying she had been in Israeli prison for refusing military service

The swifty leadership has revolutionary praxis, and is battle hardened by state repression

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, I'll be the one to say that akshyually GIMP is pretty good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

caleb posted:

Sure. Just do whatever you want.

One feature of excel that I'm pretty sure is a bug, hasn't been fixed in years, and for which I haven't found any solution is that if you use "separate into columns" with any seeing other than default, it will gently caress up how copy pasting works EVERYWHERE and it will try to separate anything you insert into a worksheet without asking. So you have to do a fake separation on some random data to reset the settings first to make the copy pasting work properly again. Infuriating as gently caress.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Probably because records from the 60s were produced for vinyl. And digital just is better, there's no way around it so you won't find a magical modern release that sounds better on vinyl.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There was a recent poll I think on Discogs asking if people were actually listening to the records they were buying, and even in that self-selected enthusiast community most answered that they weren't, or only very occasionally, and a sizable share didn't even own a record player. I think that goes a long way to explain why publishers wouldn't be very concerned about quality.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's just merch now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Internet browsers were an understandable, tangible thing that made your life worse in concrete ways. Meanwhile nobody understands or wants to understand the barely functional web of services and applications that is every modern MS product.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those built in zip locs are awful, just get a bunch of these

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PhazonLink posted:

what are they called? also is any dropship random letter brand/seller good or is there a real and good brand/company that makes them?

I'd imagine any household supply store should sell them, but if not IKEA carries them as Bevara clips, and they are like 100 for 10 cents so it's not really worth hunting for deals, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't mind me pulling up with my truck and filling up my tank with delicious java

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MoonshineWilly posted:

While we’re complaining about clothes, can jeans companies please stop putting flexible fabric in the jeans so that after a few washes the jeans have shrunken an inch? I understand that I’m buying cheapo jeans at Walmart, but if I wanted a size 32 instead of a 34, I would have bought the 32s. At least I can chuckle to myself about being too fat for fat jeans.

Real denim shrinks, even if it's old fashioned non-stretch fabric. Some people prefer it and buy accordingly. If you want jeans that don't shrink, check if the brand you are buying used sanforized fabric. If not, but a larger size.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Adults shouldn't need to use straws.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Something that might actually work would be putting up huge signs that say “Straws available by request for children and disabled people”

"Sir, we can't offer you a straw, but we do have reusable sippy cups for sale"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Plan R posted:

I'm in and out like a duck mating.

I really hope I never end up behind you in the checkout line.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They still should be tarred and feathered

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In bg2 you could stuff your newborn baby into the bag of holding

Anyway, I'm positive this is just a case of positive feedback loop among a very insular and small circle of online creeps detached from reality, and not a fair assessment of why BG3 is a major game release (but one of the biggest games of all time? C'mon now)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It shows search interest was already rising quickly in time for the release and kept rising at the same pace with a small temporary peak after that trailer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well I choose not to believe it for the sake of whatever shreds of faith in society I still may have left.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean the ironic thing is that the younger generations are notoriously not into loving, compared to their parents' generation. It maybe it's not ironic at all

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Laserface posted:

The hentai car thing is a legit Japanese sub culture

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itasha

The cringe is the point.

Yeah "legit" lmao

Just because it's also done by creeps in the glorious Nippon doesn't make it better

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wizard2 posted:

the Boomers and Xers are coming from inside this very thread, gasping and weezing over the moral decline of today's misguided youth, what with their illicit Dungeons & Dragons video games and their "Japanimation"

It's true

It was wrong for the past thousands of years, but thanks to the magic of the internet, it's true now, and I won't hear otherwise

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does Tineye still work as a viable GIS alternative? Haven't used it in years, but the time may be right.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Returning to Google - Google Translate. Used to be if you highlighted a word in the translator, it would automatically show you its dictionary definition and a list of possible translations to the other language. Now that absolutely essential feature is hidden behind a link that opens up a side window and only then are you allowed to ask for details and they are displayed in a much inferior vertical layout that makes them less legible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently the issue is that the landing page with the age warning is set to "do not index", and as it's the page that pops up for every new visitor, it causes the robots to ignore the site.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wikia is a victim of a vicious pincer attack of the owners being incredibly, egregiously greedy on the one flank, and the kids who should be their primary demographic not knowing how to use a web browser so they never leave discord on the other flank.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Firefox with Ublock is all you need. If you switch to desktop mode, you can even play videos in the background, something Google has been selling as a feature of YT premium or whatever it's called. No need for any additional apps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Get one of these bad boys powered by an AAA battery

But for real, there's like billion services that are viable alternatives to Spotify, if you hate Spotify. There's Deezer, Tidal, Qobuz...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They do work, if you have a fundamental moral objection to the concept of streaming, then obviously you aren't going to be happy :shrug: