Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tewdrig posted:

The Wirecutter used to have good reviews, with like, here is what we suggest and why, here is what you give up if you go for the budget option, if that's important to you, and here is what you get with an upgrade pick, but we don't think it's worth it.

Then it got bought by the NY Times and it's like, here are 25 father's day gifts, why you need a peloton, or 9 deals you need right now.

Rolling Stone does this now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Peggy Edson posted:

anytime a developer thinks adding an extra menu to something that was easily accessible should get the guillotine

We use Microsoft Dynamics for CRM and in the previous version the “Save” and “Save and Close” buttons were right next to each other, which makes sense.

In the latest release they moved “Save and Close” to a drop down under “Save” and the button next to “Save” is “Close as Lost” which definitely didn’t cause any issues when everyone’s muscle memory went there to save and close.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Barudak posted:

I had a boss who worked in corporate for pizza hut at the time and their description was "the stupidest, cheapest mother fuckers who didn't know what a pizza hut was got put in charge"

This but every other company also

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Cracked.com died years ago and fired all of their writers pretty unceremoniously. What’s left is just the domain being used to plug ads to anyone who happens to stop by.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hasturtium posted:

¡¿La televisión policia?!

I heard Samsung’s smart TVs are so cravenly aggressive that they’ll automatically connect to unsecured wifi to pull down ads, but mercifully there aren’t any in range of my house…

Don’t buy a Samsung TV. If you already have one I guess turn the TVs WiFi off in the settings and use a Roku/FireTV/whatever to add smart functionality. Samsung TVs are enough of an rear end in a top hat that I’d probably block it at the router just to be sure.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

skooma512 posted:

Someone did block a smart tv at the router level and the tv basically self destructed because it kept trying to find a wifi that would let it get ads and it made the tv overheat.

Lmao I love technology

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hollismason posted:

Its really loving hard to find a large television that is not a smart tv piece of poo poo.

I’ve found Sony TVs to be the least intrusive. The OS is just an overlay over Android so yeah Google but you can shut off ads and tracking. The closest thing to an ad I’ve seen is just a “you might like” ribbon that’s at the bottom and completely ignorable.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Computer viking posted:

We do sporadically try the chromecast functionality, but the last half year or so it loads the correct youtube video but never starts playing. Oh well. :shrug:

That might be more the fault of the Youtube TV app itself which is horrible. What’s even weirder is that my wife and I both have iPhones yet it works fine with mine but dislikes hers for some reason.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Fools Infinite posted:

I like that Google maps no longer considers a business's phone number relevant information and helpfully hides it.

Googling a phone number and it gives me the math result

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Apple Maps blows both google and waze out of the water. Also I hate waze with a fiery passion.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Probably already mentioned but the HBO streaming app changing to MAX then moving 4K and HDR content behind the highest tier in 2023 is some loving bullshit.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

run on sentience posted:

The last one is pretty funny, but those are still insanely cheap prices. You would be lucky to get those meals for under $20 in Canada.

I paid $10 and change US for a QPC meal at McDonald’s last week, those Wendy’s prices are good af.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

is pepsi ok posted:

I went to a restaurant with my wife awhile back and the hostess told us they don't accept walk ins and you have to have a reservation. The place was only like a quarter full, but we were like ok whatever and started to leave. The hostess then goes "hey wait you don't have to leave, you can download our app and make a reservation and then I can seat you."

Please tell me you laughed and still walked out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

PhazonLink posted:

would a real gps device be better? like phones do psudeo gps with celltowers and some other smart things.

I used to pay the $300 bucks or whatever for the stupid SD card that unlocks the vehicle GPS because it’s so much more reliable and doesn’t need a cell signal to function. I also travel for work occasionally to rural areas that don’t always have great cell coverage and if I know I’m gonna be out in East Bumfuck I’ll spring for the stand-alone GPS unit for the rental car.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have a report that I give out at most three times a year and because it’s so infrequent I don’t always remember all the information I need to provide so I made a template in OneNote that I can just swap info out of in 15 minutes and then just read it out on the call. Hard to explain but the OneNote format worked the best for it because the report I give out is basically a verbal consolidation of data that already exists elsewhere.

That’s the only time I use OneNote.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Ok so how many times did you Onenote users use a OneNote printer driver?

Zero, but I also haven’t printed anything at work since probably 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Highland Park 12 was my go-to scotch because it was nice and peaty, smooth, and was 40 USD. They rebranded as some Viking poo poo, made it sweeter, and it's 60-70 USD. Who is this for?

Yamasaki 12 used to be $80-90 around here and was worth it. Now it’s anywhere from $110 to $150 and it sucks. Absolutely not the same whiskey.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Outlook moving the tabs to the side

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol where the hell are you you people staying? I travel for work all the time and stay at decent places and the only time I’ve ever paid for parking is if the only option is a garage and I usually get one or two bottles of water per night for free. Hell I stayed overnight in Boston at the Omni Parker last weekend and you just ask at the front desk for bottled water or a free fridge.

Do some research and stay at better hotels.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

I have paid for parking at hotels many times, which does suck.

The garage parking at the Omni Parker was $58 a night lmao.

We parked 2 blocks away at Pie Alley for $23.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DrPossum posted:

tmobile now charges you $10/mo (or argues you've lost some "discount" they were offering you) if you don't directly wire up a debit or bank account for automatic payments rather than a credit card

I signed up for autopay last month because they’re supposed to discount $5 per line if you do, which for me would be $20 a month.

They billed me the same amount they always do.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

A Strange Aeon posted:

Stuff like this seems like it happens all the time and probably if you spend an hour trying to sort it out, you can fix it, but I wonder if they just assume most people won't bother so it's worth it for them to move ahead anyway.

Lol I’m waiting for chat with customer service right now. Gimme my money T-Mo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

My experience was that no matter when in the month you sign up for the autopay $5 discount, it'll still take at least one extra billing cycle before the discount shows up. You'll probably see the discount start on your next bill.

It was a new billing cycle so I figured it should have activated. Anyway customer service told me I’m actually not able to get the discount because I’m grandfathered into an old plan lol.

The plan I’m on is half the price of the new plans so I guess I’ll take that :shrug:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

credburn posted:

This probably isn't exactly what the thread is about but for lack of a better place to post:

I listened to the album "Dookie" by Green Day recently. For years it was my favorite album, but I haven't heard it in like a decade. Man, this album fuckin sucks. When did it become fuckin sucky?

Listen to some more recent Green Day then go back to Dookie

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

haldolium posted:

what really got worse are status LEDs. Monitors now can have their super bright (why???) led turned off when on, but then start blinking or some other poo poo when off. Where are the chill amber lights...

same for most other devices. Status indicators via led used to be great to get the status of many electronic devices at a glance and today they're mostly absent or entirely poo poo

The USB-C cable that came with my work laptop has a little indicator light that is bright enough to read a book by from across the room and took three layers of electrical tape to cover enough to be able to sleep at night. Even with the tape I can still see the light on underneath.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Easy to make and dumping a ton of oats in to make it hazy covers up poor brewing technique.

There are some legit good breweries that just make a couple NEIPAs to fund their actual good beers but chances are that new brewpub that just popped up out of nowhere overnight and has nothing but hazies, pastry stouts, and syrupy sours is a VC-backed scam.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Black box is great, bota box is fine, Franzia's swill turned a whole generation against box wine but some of it is actually better than bottles unless you are paying like $40 per.

You can get 4 bottles of wine in a box for $20 or less and I swear it's good, yeah it's a blend but it stays fresher even.

I mostly mess with Cabernet Sauvignon black box, but all our friends agree it's good.

:hmmyes:

My only problem with Black Box is for some reason the red blend doesn’t sit well with me but that’s a personal issue. The cab and Pinot are way better than the price would indicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

poo poo, none of the guys I know have made jack fuckin poo poo off touring in the last 10 years

they made a lot off Bandcamp though

Yup. They get hosed on merch now too because the venues take a cut.