Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's the theory on why enshitification massively accelerated in the last year? Google squeezing real hard right now with search being almost unusable & YT cracking down on ad blockers, Reddit axed 3rd party apps, etc.

Most of the tech industry is highly profitable, made a shitton of money during the pandemic and the tech job market cooled down. Why are they doing this now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Google has had bad years or phases of stagnation before though. And it's a lot of different companies ramping it up at the same time. Feels different, like something has changed.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just tried to look up some very common legal information and the first few search result pages were littered with grotesque ChatGPT generated websites made by a man from Cameroon, who pretends to be three middle aged European stockphoto models. The articles are 70% empty filler with no information content and ~10% of the information that is there is blatantly false(sometimes even contradicting things in the previous sentence) and could get you in trouble with your employer or even get you fired if you acted on it.

I weep for the next generation, for they will never know the wonders of a functioning internet. They will have to go to the library to get information like cave people.

e: the bizarre stock photos on that page still haunt me. I've seen a creepy chemotherapy child in a hospital garment with a prop sword and shield stare at me. I only hope it was AI generated or a stock photo that was heavily digitally altered, and not a real chemotherapy patient.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 25, 2024

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Google search is getting worse by the day. I swear, they are testing how far they can take that poo poo.

Also, the Google search engine ads sales department is firing hundreds of people and replacing them with AI tools. One little step closer to an utopian world where ads are made by bots, sold by bots, bought by bots and watched by bots, with no human involvement at all. Then we'll finally be free to never interact with any of that garbage again.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I just can't fathom wanting mcdonalds so bad I'd pay like $25 for it.

Maybe if you screamed "MCDONALD'S!" at your TV more often you wouldn't feel that way

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

They're getting rid of the HTML-only inboxes on Gmail soon. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere with lovely internet, and the current Gmail takes ages to load for him. Everything online is optimized for people who have a high-speed connection that never falters.

There are a lot of good mail clients for desktop and Android around(I assume for Apple too, but idk). I use K-9 on Android and Thunderbird on Windows. Nobody has to use that slow garbage Gmail UI

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Incorrect. In the Hangouts PC client (technically it was the Hangouts Chrome Extension), I could copy and paste an image directly into a chat.

Google Voice has a web interface, but you can't paste images inline. At least not last time I checked a few months ago.

On top of that, the Android Voice app is worse, too. It will show me the preview of as webp image on my phone if I go to the image selector to send a pic to someone, but will then error when I try to send it saying invalid format.

It also doesn't allow you to browse the entire file system to find an image, for some reason it has a few folders it pulls from (looking right now and it's Camera, Screenshots, and Downloads), and it's it's not in one of those, too bad (or go to the Files app and copy it to one of those folders, but that's absurd.)

To be fair, the US is the only country left in the world that still uses SMS for communication and where any of the above stuff matters. Everyone else moved on to internet based messenger apps like a decade ago and doesn't even know what the hell you are talking about. It's not a priority trying to tack on modern chat features to some ancient communication format from the late 80s.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

True for a lot of jobs, maybe most, but not really for construction. Construction pays really really well.

People say that a lot here too, but somehow this is never reflected in average salaries. A quick Google search says the average salary for construction workers in the US is just $40k.

At least around here it's also a field that employs a lot of desperate immigrants that don't really have many opportunities anywhere else on the job market due to lacking language skills or education. A lot of illegal employment and exploitation too. Not exactly signs of a highly paid field.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

You have a PHD in data science? Maybe you could get a job as a sports gambling bookie or as a data entry intern.

P-H-D data ... science? You mean like a prompt engineer?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Baffling how a piece of software designed to hallucinate information could ever hallucinate information. Someone should look into that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Feeling increasingly vindicated for my decision to just not file taxes while I was abroad. How're they gonna know how much money you're making?

Sounds like a perfect plan. Can't believe nobody ever thought of that. :hmmyes:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, that's been another big swing recently. If Google can interpret your search in a way that allows it to show Shopping Ads, it WILL interpret it that way. Those ads are way more effective than Google's display ads or search results ads, but they are only allowed for e-commerce websites. So you may have a search where you have no intention of going to an e-commerce site, like maybe you want to find a store or a service in your area, but Google's just like "Oh, you want to buy raw materials for the job? Want to buy this crap from a dropshipper? Buy buy buy now now now!"

Google posted the highest revenue & profits in its history last quarter. And massive growth. Stock was at an all time high. Lots of the tech giants did similarly well.

They took a huge gambit with the enshitification and it really worked out for them so I think the lesson here is that enshitification=profit and they learned this lesson very well now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Back in the long, long, ago, the Before Time, someone in cubicle at a company that made jars of olives realized that the company could simply put one fewer olive in every jar they produced. This tiny savings, magnified a hundred thousand fold, produced such a sizable profit that every person who dwelt in every cubicle across the land tried to do the same kind of thing in every single industry, paring the apple as closely as possible without ever digging the knife into the flesh of the fruit. At some point, they put computers in charge of everything. The 21st century dawned. There was a recession, and a pandemic. Though the greater society wallowed and foundered upon the rocks, the numbers needed to rise. Even if the hose was on fire, the plants needed to be watered. The machinery of 21st century capitalism no longer required the rind, or even, the flesh. It wanted blood. And so the enshittification began.

Up until a couple years ago we had a 1960s era consumer protection law here that allowed packed food products to only have round weights like 100g, 150g, 200g, etc. to avoid deceptive packaging. Then they repealed the law to allow the manufacturers more ~freedom and creativity~ in designing their wonderful product packaging and to offer customers a ~better visual shopping experience~ and more ~freedom of choice~.

Those corporate ratfuckers immediately started ripping people off with everything suddenly weighing 97.3g instead of 100g while keeping the price and the packaging the same. Never saw a single benefit to consumers from any of that poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

teen witch posted:

Sorting recyclables in Sweden is a Big loving Deal, and apartments typically have a room to do so, bins indicating what material goes where.

Unfortunately the one for my building is a loving wreck. By the way it looks, half of the building can sort recyclables with little issue, but the other half couldn’t give a poo poo and trash is in every bin, or just dumped immediately upon entry. Last year they flat out got rid of the recycling specific bins for about six months because it got so bad. By the way it looked yesterday when we dropped off cardboard, I think it may happen again.

The signs have images of what can go in the bins. They are pretty easy to understand signs and have pictures of actual consumer products to illustrate what goes in what bin and still, trash in every bin. This can’t be ignorance.

I feel like if I put up an arga lappen I’ve finally hit middle age, but come the gently caress on can we do the bare minimum as an apartment building?

Don't worry, it all probably still gets sorted in the end, just not by you but by the nice Romanian ladies at the waste processing center. The city probably charges a hefty fee for that service though.

A place I used to live in had its garbage sorting shed turn into a garbage dump over time. Rats and hedgehogs were having parties and fights in there all night and the stench became unbearable. Main problem was that the city workers collecting the compost bins refused to empty them when they saw that they were full of old broken toasters and used diapers. And the unsorted garbage collection workers didn't take them either because they were either full of electronics or car engine parts or because they often looked like they actually had compostables in them when the old carburators and shoes in there got covered by a layer of compostable waste. So the bins just never got emptied and people kept throwing trash on the ground and in other bins, which led to those also not getting emptied and it spiraled out of control from there.

For months the property management kept writing and posting these long convoluted letters in bureaucratic German begging people to sort their garbage. I don't think any of the worst offenders even understood more than a handful of words of German (and nobody ever thought of just posting pictures). In the end the management probably got scared of the potential media reaction when some child eventually gets attacked by a rat or if there is a cholera outbreak and just hired a private company that would go there daily, fight the rats and hedgehogs and clean everything out. It was expensive as gently caress. Our garbage fees more than tripled due to this lol None of these systems are designed to handle a situation where some people just don't give a gently caress

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DeepThought posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_(web_browser)

surf is a minimalist web browser developed by suckless.org. The user interface does not include any graphical control elements; it is controlled via keyboard shortcuts or external tools, which may manipulate its behavior by setting its window's properties.
Most configuration of surf is performed by editing its configuration header file in its source code, and then (re)compiling it. Some settings can be changed without recompiling, via command-line arguments or hotkeys.[2][4]

This is a really cool tool if preparing browsers to open a webpage is your hobby

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Corporate schools and universities sound like a really cool idea. You could use a branded and copyrighted form of math and science that's not compatible with regular math and science and this way all the kids can only go to Amazon university after graduation and can only work at Amazon later. Good to keep wages down if workers can't just switch to a different company due to math incompatibility and you also don't lose out on your education investment.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Please don't forget to tell your parents that Prime Day will have a 30% off on learning derivates! Ok, now let's get back to biology. Timmy, your parents didn't pay for the frogs module so you can't learn about frogs today, please sit outside class while we finish.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

The problem with this is that technical education (computer touching doesn't count) is for acting on the real world and the laws of physics don't give a gently caress about intellectual property. Even capitalism cannot defeat nature.

Wrong! At Amazon University you can do anything you set your mind to, if you work hard enough. So, first of all base 10 math is out. The superior Bezos Math® is base 8. Metric system is also out and replaced by the Amazon Great Customer Satisfaction customary units. Let's see who wants to poach an engineer that can't calculate 9x9 in their head or what 20% of 100 is or how many millimeters are in a meter.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I don’t smoke weed but I do have the occasional edible and as someone with a pilot’s license I would admit to several crimes I didn’t commit before I told a doctor that and had it in my medical records

Hell, same. If cops ever get evidence of you having been involved with anything weed related here they can(and do) report that to the German DMV, which will get your license revoked and block you for applying for a new one for a couple months, years or even forever. After/if the block ends you have to go through a psychological evaluation, prove long term drug abstinence and do driving school again. This basically means losing your job for a lot of people who need the license for work.

Imagine this poo poo happening to you because cops caught you smoking a joint in the park or some random drug hair test showed that you smoked something 2 months ago. I have zero doubts if there is ever a leak of medical records, cops will use that information with zero hesitation. And IT security at your average doctor's office is a joke.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

When I was a kid you could get a whole nickel for a nickel and a fart cost you only 2 cents and it was the good kind not the cheap mass produced stuff you get now

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

At a restaurant you ask people to transport, cook and serve food for you and then clean up afterwards. Why did you think it could ever be cheap enough to do that all the time(instead of something special you do once a week or so). You can only do it all the time if the workers get an unfair wage for all the labor they provide to you or if machines do it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

It's gotten to where the take and bake stuff at the grocery store is cheaper than buying the ingredients and an onion costs more than a pork chop. Food pricing is all arbitrary asspulls.

IIRC a supermarket usually calculates some total margin they need to reach on all sold products, but they don't really care that much about margins on individual products. Like, it's fine to make a big loss on the pork chops if you can also sell 3¢ organic onions for $1. In the end it all goes to the same place, the sum function in the excel sheet

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Today I got a new gaming mouse. You know, one of those fancy ones with lots of extra buttons.

I wanted to know which button changed the sensitivity. The mouse came with a little piece of paper. In the past, this paper would have an image of the mouse with labels pointing to the buttons explaining their function. That is way too old fashioned.

This mouse came with a QR code that I could scan with my phone. Then it lets me register the mouse online. Then it texts my phone with a confirmation number. Then I get to choose my region. Then I get to start again because it timed me out. Then I can search on their website for the mouse I bought by name, even though I scanned the QR code already.

Then I got to view a PDF on my phone depicting the mouse and explaining the buttons. It was a big file so we could have about 40 languages on there.

This is so much better than that old primitive piece of paper. They saved so much of Earth's resources by still including the piece of paper but then adding several electronic steps to the task of finding "What mouse button do"

The mouse manual of the future is not just a document, it is an immersive experience and a community. You've just read the warranty section? Great, tell your friends on Twitter and Facebook about it with one easy click or talk about it on the mouse manual community forum with other mouse enthusiasts!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some grocery store self checkouts here are really great and well thought out. Take your stuff out of the shopping cart, scan it and put it down on the provided shelf. Weight only the fruits/vegetables. No bullshit, no waste of time. You are in and out of the shop, like a demon's whisper. But some are insane contraptions where you have to weight everything, use special bags or go to some separate machines to weight and print labels for your produce before you can use them.

I really don't get the thought process behind the lovely self-chekouts. Very few people use them because they are annoying and slower and more work than going through the regular cashier line. But labor cost for 3 cashiers is probably something like 80€ per hour and you can't tell me people steal more than that in an hour if you design your self-checkout to not suck. But yeah, I don't have an MBA, so what do I know. You do you.

Saganlives posted:

I mean that's definitely the case but communism didn't try to pretend you were getting choice. I'd be perfectly happy with one kind of government branded pasta sauce in exchange for a managed economy.

There was no pasta sauce in planned economies. They just weren't productive enough to provide something like that and probably still aren't. You're gonna have to make it yourself. There also wasn't a lot of meat or cheese, but I think those ones we could probably pull off by now thanks to technological improvements.

e: well, maybe there was pasta sauce in Moscow for the party elites in the special party elite shops, I dunno. Don't think I know anyone who has ever been in one.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 17, 2024

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

They had the pasta with the beef ready to go in a jar, comrade.

I asked around and nobody remembers seeing that in shops for the regular lowly plebs. It was either vaporware, no longer available by the 70s/80s or something that only party member elites got in their exclusive shops, where you could get almost anything, including imported stuff.

Moscow plebs also often got stuff you couldn't get anywhere in the imperial periphery, so maybe it was a Moscow thing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

wash bucket posted:

Nvidia Wants to Replace Nurses With AI for $9 an Hour: Your health could soon be in the hands of Nvidia-powered AI nurses, and they cost your healthcare provider next to nothing.

While the above is of course just a performance art project trying to kill someone with an overdose of penicillin, GPT has actually been quite useful medical tool for me. It helps with checking medication/supplements interactions. It has also diagnosed a skin condition for someone I know which their lovely dermatologist couldn't(or didn't want) to figure out. You of course need to have an ironclad rule to never follow any medical advice/diagnosis it gives you unless it can provide a credible source for it. Only ever do what the credible source says.

It's an order of magnitude better than Dr. Google and used correctly it could cut down on doctor visits(but of course it's just gonna be used by hypochondriacs to self-diagnose with the bubonic plague and lupus and clog up the emergency rooms even more)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna be brutally honest here: most Western countries(and China) are gonna reach a 1:1 ratio of retired and working people by ~2055. Unless you are rich there is just not going to be anyone around anymore to provide medical care for most people. So you either deal with the iPad chat bot doctor or you pick out a nice place at the garbage dump to lay down and die

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The trick is to never look into a mirror again. This way 20y olds will always seem the same age

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo, I just got a pop-up on my phone asking if I want to continue to use Google as my "Internet app" or switch to something else. I can now use duckduckgo to do an internet search from anywhere on my phone and don't have to copypaste urls into Firefox mobile like a cave man. Small de-enshititfications do happen sometimes. Thank you EU, thank yEU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Slotducks posted:

The most surprising thing about that is how long it's taken for that detail to finally come out.

years and years of this, not one major substantial leak or anonymous post of "oh yeah it's not that, it's actually just:" that gained any traction.

I mean, the one liner twitter reposts of the story are mostly a misrepresentation of what really happened. It's not such a huge story. The shops did really use machine learning to track the purchases and then human labor to review/correct cases where it wasn't sure and to generate new training data. I don't think there were a lot of people who weren't aware of that. If you use machine learning technology like Alexa, Siri, Midjourney, autopilot, ChatGPT, etc. you have to assume real people will look at the data to correct it or to add edge cases to the training data. There was nothing to leak.

The big revelation is that they never got the technology to work well enough that it could deal with even a majority of purchases. Most of the receipts still had to be reviewed by humans up until the very end. It's a story about the failure of the technology, not a story about Amazon trying to outsource cashiers to India(cause that's just ridiculous).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I tried to google how long it takes for a hard boiled egg to go bad and the first page results looked completely useless. I clicked on the most promising one and it was 4 paragraphs of insane "From ancient Romans to Norman Kings, people have been enjoying a good egg for thousands of years" filler and then all the way down a video with the actual information I was supposed to watch. Instead I just cracked it open, took some good sniffs and hoped for the best.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

carrionman posted:

Because I'm in a mood, I swear loving autocorrect is getting worse. Every time I write "home" it changes it to "hone"
Yet if I write "hellp" well that's clearly what I wanted, no one would ever start a message with any other word.

"Hellp, I'll be hone late today" just the dumbest poo poo.

Autocorrect peaked some time around ~2015 and has been getting progressively worse since. I could basically type twice as fast back then cause I'd just hit the auto complete/suggest button all the time.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

We've complained to the council but the owners are very rich so this goes completely ignored. Why he won't just get the loving thing fixed is beyond me.

You don't get rich by wasting money on car alarm repairs every time some pleb complains about the noise.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Croccers posted:

They shrinkflated them in Aus. We don't have 'fresh stacks', it was just straight up a smaller box, I believe it was almost one third smaller.
It pissed me off to the point that I don't buy them now unless they're on sale.

Htbh, but shrinkflation for junk food is a public health service. Most people eat a whole pack in one sitting, so a smaller package size means less damage to your body and the experience of eating just 125g of chips instead of 150g is not substantially different

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Technocrat posted:

I tutor kids in IT (programming through game design), and the caps-lock typing thing really threw me. Given how consistent it was, I wondered if it was something they were being taught in schools

Am I missing something here? That's just how capitalization on touchscreen works. You hit the shift key to get into single letter capitalization mode and then the letter. You don't have to hold the shift key like on a keyboard. That's where they learn it.

I guess it takes some coordination to hit two keys at the same time with one hand so without putting some effort into developing the muscle memory you just keep doing the caps lock thing forever and ever, like hunt and peck.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bad times create good ten finger typers
Good typers create good times
Good times create bad typers/capslocker
Capslockers create bad times

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Houle posted:

I'd blame city infrastructure more so. Cars and bikes should never share the road. Bikes should be on a raised path next to the pedestrian path. People who are waiting for a bike going 15mph in a 40mph will eventually force their way through as their patience runs out. Putting a slow moving person on a thin frame next to a bunch of death machines is stupid. As a car driver I will even say it's 80% the fault of the person driving the car. But good god .stop biking up hill you slow gently caress I need to take a dump already and you're going a third the speed limit. No don't slow down to coast with your feet off the pedals. loving fuckity gently caress

Oh and I keep my condiments in the fridge.

I don't know why it isn't more of a thing for Americans to openly bike with a gun. If car dicks had to expect the possibility of gun shots every time they try to intimidate a cyclist it would be a lot safer for bikes. I mean, yeah, an SUV can totally win a fight with a bike, but there is no way to know how many shots the cyclist will be able to give off in the driver's direction before they are under the wheels and dead. You see an SUV creeping up behind you on the bike lane, you put your hand on the gun and get ready to start blasting.

I mean, it's not really a solution for us Europeans here due to sane gun laws. We would have to actually get some decent bike infrastructure built to address the problems. But Americans have other options.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Guns are expensive and there's a whole chunk of society not legally allowed to buy a gun the normal way, think like a trucker who just caught a felony for drunken domestic violence. If they see a dweeb like me carrying heat openly, I'd get run down so they could get a new toy for the cost of a car wash

E: lol at the exact opposite perspective, but it might also have to do with how rough your area already is

Hmmm, I see. And what about a grenade then? You pull the pin when you see an SUV coming and show them the armed grenade if they get too close

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

in the uk they call it a "brake test"

I think you mean a braky testy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

All you older posters itt could ask your kids or nephews to help you with your TVs. Young people are really good with tech