Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My kvetch: thrift stores and the existence of Shein and the like. Holy poo poo, thrift stores are riddled with Shein poo poo and you can tell before even reading the label, usually by touch. Garbage quality from a heinous company.

Like I’ll find H&M tier clothing in thrift stores in solid shape, and they’re usually pretty good to buy and will typically last for a long time if you know how to take care of it. Shein however feels like poo poo Halloween costume fabric or like, something off, not to mention the durability (but that’s what happens with clothing like that…or most these days).

Sucks that unless you’re paying for bespoke or RTW, clothing quality is inconsistent (and with some bonkers ideas of sizing)

Khanstant posted:

I'm starting to wonder if it's a genetic taste thing, like how black coffee tastes like chocolate, how a grapefruit could be edible, or cilantro tasting like soap to some people but not others. I assume artificial sweeteners are the same thing, because the disgusting chemical tastes that come with them are not something anyone would choose to ingest on purpose, let alone consider at all comfortable to sugar. Salt has more in common with the flavour of sugar and sweetness than loving aspartame/stevia/etc

I grew up with a perpetually dieting parent so artificial sweeteners taste…normal to me? Rarely is there a diet version that I truly find abysmal, maybe sweet n low back in the day? Occasionally there’s an oddball stevia brand that tastes off.

I definitely will have hyper tumors from all the diet alternatives in 20 years, on top of the other issues of having a perpetually dieting parent as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
has google search like, poo poo the bed even more so lately? For a ton of different searches I’ve been getting something along the lines of the below:

Like garbled rear end URL with descriptors that kind of match what I’m looking for, but rarely precise.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

sorry about your hair

what you need is some bear grease

not for this 4C mop

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Spotify,

I used to have the ability to block a band from playing. Now I don’t. Maybe, just maybe, if you’re going to platform certain bands, give me the option to not have them come up on my recommendations or whatever.

Like let me literally tell your algorithm what I, undeniably, do NOT want to listen to. You can cater your recommendations far better if I tell you “I explicitly never want to hear anything from this band, ever, fullstop.”

How is this hard I am giving you data, why do this

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

I haven’t subscribed to Spotify in a minute, but I reinstalled it to check something. If you navigate to an artist you loathe and click the “…” next to the Follow button, does it give you the option “Don’t play this artist”? Awful isn’t letting me embed the screengrab I took on my phone, but it has worked for me before. God, I hate when they move poo poo.

It exists on mobile…and not on desktop. Let’s see if I keep getting loving Death in June regardless!!!!!!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The issue is is that my tastes are loving scattershot and no one service manages to have them all, or at least most, or even consistently.

I’m a big fan of Big Black and Albini does NOT make this easy. Half of the albums were on Spotify for years and now they’re totally gone. I love having vinyl but I can’t take it with me on a train.

gently caress, it took years for Olivia Newton John’s Magic to be on Spotify while the rest of the Xanadu album was on there.

And I know once I visit family in the states, I’ll hear songs I haven’t heard in years purely because the rights don’t exist in Sweden so whoops guess we won’t be hearing that!!!!!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

not to say he wasn't right for delisting his poo poo from Spotify in protest of how they gently caress over artists but

c'mon

it's fuckin Steve Albini. the guy was calling CDs the 'rich person's 8 track' back in the 80s and yelling about how disc rot will make everything unplayable in ten years
it's a miracle his crotchety rear end didn't immediately hate streaming right out the gate

Oh no I’m fully aware of the irony

Just sucks because it’s a tough time actually finding BB vinyls unless if I’m back in the states

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I’ve had this issue with Spotify where it’ll auto generate mixes based on genres I like except holy poo poo they’re all hideously mismatched.

Example: I wanted to listen to Daily Mix 1. Instead it started playing the song Laid by James:

https://youtu.be/0trh9Y598fM

instead of, for instance, Profanatica.

https://youtu.be/iAX5F7_Z2tc

Now I love the song Laid, it’s cute!!! But Spotify…you made the mix stating that there would be Profanatica, who I have seen live, and let me tell you this key, foundational fact: they have very few threads in common with the song Laid by James. I’m no maestro but there is a distinct difference.

Never fret, I found said metal mix…under Daily Mix 2, which states would it have Bowie and Kate Bush. It does not.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like just a few years ago, you could pretty easily find popular scenes of a lot of TV shows and movies on Youtube or maybe Daily Motion if you had to resort to that.

But now, it seems like a lot of studios have been a LOT more serious about DMCA takedowns and scouring those places, so I'll try to Google for a scene and I'll get unrelated ones, or, worst of all...that God-awful loving "GetYarn" site that, seemingly, has almost entire episodes of TV shows on one to two second clips at a time. So their tagging/SEO will make it look like the given clip you're loading is the entire scene...but it's like part 1 of 20 for that scene because of how short all the clips are. And they DOMINATE all the video searches now.

Holy poo poo my world for a platform to hide all getyarn, it’s up there with Pinterest in wrecking any useful google results

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anybody else in here wear Accuvue Oasys contacts? Have yours become just utter garbage? I can barely get my 2-weeks out if a pair when they used to go a month if I was careful. Just shredding around the edges, little chunks floating in my eye. Fuckin bullshit. They're in a class action lawsuit for price fixing over a few year period right now, I wonder if they're losing big money for Bausch and Lomb.

I don’t think I ever had a pair of monthlies work for the entire month, three weeks in and they feel like cornflakes.

Thankfully with WFH I switched to dailies and using glasses. Far cheaper and a 30 pack lasts for loving ever

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

microsoft, my dude...

why on

ILLUSTRATOR?

I’m too baffled for words.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Despite this place’s problems I would much rather my kids be goons than anything else on the internet.

Legacy posters? Nepo goons?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Children of goons should have their goon parent's username in little letters above their reg date. Maybe a coat of arms of some type involving their parents profile pic.

We can do it Icelandic style. For instance, if I have a kid their username is [username] teen witchsdóttir/-sson/-bur.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t have any kids so no ponies in this race, but apparently trying to get daycare for kids is REALLY insane these days. Super expensive and very few slots.

I’m wondering if it’s similar to nursing and teaching: no one wants to be paid peanuts for one of the hardest professions. I also wonder* if it’s due to the “women do these jobs a lot so pay them less lol”

*im not wondering, let’s be real.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I know more people who are mega fans of something and are totally normal, than those who make it every fiber of their being.

Nothing to do with franchises or whatever but I do find it weird that sports fans are seen as normal but, and I can’t believe I’m doing this, Swifties are seen as out of control. Are there some far gone Swifties? Totally, I can absolute attest to it. But there are sports fans who are just as bad, and you don’t associate hooliganism with Taylor Swift

Some people don’t want to fly their freak flag alone, some do. Let each person embrace it their own way, and as long as it doesn’t cause significant, irreversible harm*, who cares?

*Being annoyed, irritated, bored, clash of personality isn’t harm.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see what a mob of Taylor Swift fans rioting would do now.

Go to Anthropologie on Black Friday

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Where the hell do you work

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Google Maps works either decently or utterly shits the bed in certain parts of Sweden, and boy it is not great to figure out this en route!! Like even within the same drat city.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tythas posted:

White LED Headlights have been getting brighter and brighter as well as being placed higher on cars while also having their distance alignment further out. The combination of those things makes it impossible to see while driving at night if vehicles with these lights are behind you are or are in oncoming traffic

Holy poo poo I despise new headlights. I feel like blinding other motorists is not conductive to driving safety??? And yet???

Maybe if you can’t see with regular loving brights on you shouldn’t be driving

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Went to go see Oppenheimer and wow people have just unlearned how to be in a loving theater. I’ve seen a few in the past year or so and like half, have been dogshit experiences.

What I’ve noticed most are:
- people on their phones in the middle of the film like, loving LEAVE. Why pay to see a film if you’re doing this. gently caress you.

- people taking off their shoes, and occasionally, their socks as well. They sat next to me during a three hour movie. I wanted to jump out of my skin. gently caress you SF Bio, this screening had like five people why the gently caress did you only have a few seats open to book?? What am I being punished for??

Like the cost of the ticket alone wasn’t great, why are people paying to be on their phone during a film? and take their shoes off and behave like a loving child?? You can just stay the gently caress home for free.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Why not move seats once it started?

At least movies aren't like concerts yet where everyone has to have their phone in the air recording it.

Sometimes you get a real picky usher that’ll get in your face for moving seats here.

Also lol, I saw that during Barbie. Like I love posting to my IG stories but I know the loving line

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

A ton of wax nowadays is paraffin wax, i.e. it's made from fossil fuels, is not biodegradable, and is generally not great for the environment. This includes waxes used for cheeses (much to my chagrin), and also candles (which is great because paraffin wax gives off toxic fumes when burned)

THANK YOU, as you can imagine I’m very much a candle person and paraffin wax is in loving everything and some companies will pull this “oh it’s a blend” when it’s majority paraffin. It’s worth spending the extra money on soy wax a thousand times over.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can’t even get energy drinks on self checkout without an employee to let it through here, but that’s due to law (kids under sixteen can’t buy them).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

holefoods posted:

Most of the cars around here that have borderline hentai stickers seem to overwhelmingly be driven by decent looking early 20s guys. Not that this is an excuse, but it doesn’t seem to be the neckbeard crowd.

Yeah, I’ve seen a few hentaimobiles in the states and it’s 99% average looking men.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Squatch Ambassador posted:

the Croup Cough Clan

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Biplane posted:

This constantly happens with me in Norway even though all I watch is videos about math and multiple-hour long videos on old videogames. Doesn't matter how often I press "do not recommend this channel" it always comes back.
Edit: what's extra cool is when I have my 9 year old kid here and he's watched a video about zelda or fortnite my entire feed is all alt-right bullshit, small ben, joe rogan and loving jordan peterson.

Same! I’m in Sweden and I get local and US RW dogshit despite having several indicators that I am very much not interested in that poo poo

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Spotify has a new side panel when you click the arrow near album art and why can it just be a larger image of the album art like before??? How is this an improvement???

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

humpthewind posted:

Please for the love of god install an adblocker.

If there are any for iOS Safari I’m all ears

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Same in Sweden for the most part. I had to white lie and say I was prescribed from a doctor a weak muscle relaxer for my TMJ and I managed to get a prescription from a doctor, otherwise it would be 1000kr+ for a dentist.

Not sure why we’re loving doing this

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Apple Podcast has just stopped remembering where I left off in a podcast? After a decade of using it without issue suddenly this is a problem?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://files.catbox.moe/383c6y.mp4

E: yes!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t know why Disney+ and Chromecast seem to never work with one another but boy, am I not thrilled having to pay for a streaming service that freezes up the two devices I use them on! We hit the correct button to cast aaaaaand nothing, time to reset the Chromecast manually.

Normally I’d think “oh my iPhone is having a real one”, but my partner has an Android and it’s the same issue, over the two Chromecasts we have, which I’m certain are two different generations

All other streaming services work fine on all devices, but Disney+ is like HBO Nordic bad

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

Chromecasts are a perfect example for this thread. The first one I got worked perfectly when I bought it. Then it steadily got worse with each update to the point where it was crashing every time I tried to use it.

Then I got a TV with a Chromecast built in and it somehow was even worse.

I’ve had a few and usually it’s “work fine until WHOOPS NOW NOTHING WORKS FINE”, no degrade, just a sudden drop off.

My partner and I are holding on to his 10+ year old Sony until we can find a bloat-free alternative. I’m perfectly fine with Chromecast (until it implodes) or even trying to convince him for an Apple TV. I don’t need a TV with random poo poo in it.

Anything beyond the time and the ability to nix soap opera mode is a waste and a turn off in a TV. I’m hardly a Luddite but I’ll turn straight Uncle Ted* if my TV is advertising within its UI/UX.

*within the law

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My mom clung to her JVC SD CRT until it literally popped and now after seeing her accursed Samsung bloatware TV, I regret not somehow finding her another CRT.

Why the gently caress does it need to take goddamn ten seconds to press a button and get a response. What. Why. No one wants this.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My boys are so friendly that they’d let someone rob the place blind so long as they get a few good skritches. They’re almost assertively friendly.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My work MBA uses USBC and every so often decides that it prefers one port to another. Why? gently caress you.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When Plex inevitably gets shittier for no good reason it's all over. I give up on tv

Buddy

I got a lot of MKVs that refuse to convert correctly I’d like to show you

(why can’t it just work why we gotta do this song and dance)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Still.the most deceptive movie marketing so far

Y’all not read the book? It was popular when I was a kid, I mean it’s been out since 77.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
We’ve been getting walloped with a ton of rain here and the mosquitos have just tripled in amount. Like you can see them swarming, it’s awful, I’ve never gotten bitten so much since living here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If you want to see basically Fallout IRL the movie, Albert Pyuns “Radioactive Dreams” is worth a watch and then some. It is the inspiration for a few things in Wasteland as well.