Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The one thing I really don't get about Amazon is okay, you're going to put your recommended products as the first options in search results. But why do the number of search results change if I change the sort order?!

Search t-shirt, get 5000 results. Change sorting from default to anything else, now there are 487 results. WTF?!

This one kind of makes sense to me - assuming the default behavior is to sort based on their idea of "relevancy," they're happy to just continue to show you products that may be less and less relevant to your search as you go from page to page, but if you want to sort based on anything else, it has to apply some sort of relevancy qualifier to get a concrete set of items to sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU