Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I have to wonder how many accidents have been caused by UI engineers randomly moving poo poo around in music apps. I have YT premium since YT Music actually randomly has a great algorithm for finding new music (and it's nice not having youtube ads generally) and once every couple of months they'll just move buttons to other places or nest them in drop-down menus and it completely messes with my muscle memory while I'm driving. I know I shouldn't even be touching my phone, but it shouldn't be a struggle just to hit "shuffle" while I'm still watching the road 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Aside from Discord being awful for finding useful information, it also serves to make social forums actively worse.

There's a forum I've been going to for going on 20 years and ever since Discord has become popular it has driven the vast majority of toxic drama on there. You get these splinter groups of cliquey posters who gossip with and about each other and then bring that pettiness back to the main board.

The mods have actually done a good job this past year in reigning in a lot of that through bans on particularly offensive people who still posted like it was 2004, but there's still issues where their friends will relay information back to their Discord groups so those banned users still have an influence on the discourse. On top of that even the "good" posters get into their own groups so a lot of topics end up being filled with incomprehensible in-jokes that clog up the boards.

It's part of the reason I've moved over to SA more and more even though that place still has a place in my heart.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Wait, you weren't talking about SA?

Lol no, but I'm sure someone who goes there will know what site I'm talking about since there's a lot of crossover between user bases. The nice thing with SA is that it's much larger so I can just read the megathreads about random interests and not run into a ton of drama most of the time. There, if poo poo goes down it's literally all anyone is talking about.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
The engine auto shutoff is so annoying for my commute. I usually take a back route to work that includes about 6 4-way stops out in the boonies. Unless there's a bunch of traffic, most people do slightly rolling stops since you can see traffic from a mile away as you're pulling to the intersections and I can't tell you how many times the sudden loss of acceleration causes confusion because people think you're letting them take right of way before your car suddenly decides to turn back on.

Probably more of an infrastructure problem but still a gripe I have.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You guys wanna hear something loving gross?

So my dad died almost a year ago. It was very sad and I'm still upset about it. My nephew and sister are living with my mom (and dad previously) due to financial troubles. My nephew never had a dad. He skipped town immediately when he was born. My dad was like a dad to him.

Last week my nephew told me that a while back, right after my dad died, someone came to their door and said "We're aware that someone just died here and we were wondering if you want to sell the house to us?" My nephew, about 6'3 220lbs and very polite and soft spoken was like "What?" The guy asked again and my nephew just said "Leave now."

I couldn't believe the loving gall of that snake. What prompted my nephew to tell me is that I sent him this text I got two weeks ago.

I looked up the company and they have no online presence and have been around for less than 2 years.

:capitalism:

I get texts like this probably once a month because I bought my house for cheap (67k back in 2017) and these property management companies apparently go through and just mass text people who could make a significant profit on their property now that the market is insane.

Yes, I realize I can make 60+ grand if I sell my house, but then I'm stuck paying over double my mortgage renting from these same slimy corporations that bought me out.

I usually just block their number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I have on two separate occasions had an accident where I got cut down to the artery and chose to do a makeshift tourniquet and drive myself to the hospital to avoid paying thousands for an ambulance.

The second time I even poured a bunch of vodka on the wound before leaving and the er doctor said that was badass lmbo