Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
When I watch YouTube through a chromecast it likes to put a banner ad on the bottom for YT Premium that requires me to dig through the phone app to get to where I can click the 'dismiss' button. Then it reappears on the next video, just in case I changed my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Peggy Edson posted:

YT premium is actually pretty baller though

That’s fine but I’m not changing my mind on it between 10-15 minute videos and if I want to pull the trigger on it I’d be able to find a way.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Amazon shipping has become sub-poo poo-tier for us in the last year. Stuff just goes missing now, I ordered a replacement vacuum cleaner hose and they sent some stevia based chocolate sauce instead (??). They always want me to run the return out to them and these days I refuse - you hosed it up, you come pick your poo poo up. 99% of the time they just tell me to keep it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I am dreading the day my TV dies, it was the last generation of dumb TV and I know when I seek a replacement it’ll have to be a smart TV with smart features like data mining and ads that play between screen modes and rear end firmware apps that don’t work and

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Microscopic complaint, but I just saw the back panel on a bag of tortilla chips and under DIP IDEAS it lists the following, in its entirety:

Bean dip, sour cream, or your favorite salsa, just dip & eat.

That's it, that's their entire statement on DIP IDEAS for this product. They chose to use ink to print that on the bag.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I can't remember the last time Amazon Prime managed to ship something on time, I get the "unfortunately there is a very rare and unexpected delay in shipping" notice on every single item. There's a big blue-and-white tumor looking Amazon Prime warehouse thing like 10 blocks from my house.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I made the mistake of updating the Google Home app on my phone and they managed to replace 99% of the screen space with one of those Google clipart drawings of a person, and hide all of the functions behind a tiny strip of inscrutable hieroglyph buttons along the bottom edge.

GitHub revamped its desktop interface and decided to also hide half of the stuff I need behind drop- or slide-out menus that used to just be there. The search function now also sucks and tries to anticipate what I'm going to search for and in which repository, with a success rate of less than 1%.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I only ever use Google Home to put a virtual pillow over the face of one of my chromecasts when it starts bugging out. There is a message on the app's front page that says "Add your favorite devices and actions for quick access." Alright! So at least I understand why they created this clipart filled void in the middle of the app. I just have to now manually add all of my chromecasts to a favorite list so they will populate the space. I never had to do this before, but seems simple enough.

Click "+ Add favorites"

Nothing. The Google Home app is unaware of the existence of the chromecasts. I can reach them if I thumb-sniper the excruciatingly tiny "Devices" button at the bottom. Can I add them to favorites from there? Also no. gently caress you Google, goddamn.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Tried to use the Zoom app on an iPad, and the option to view gallery mode either simply doesn't exist anymore or it is buried in some secret haptic spell. Googled around and found instructions for the desktop, and then for the app, but it turns out the phone app has a completely different configuration from the iPad app so after exhausting all options on the original search I had to search again but specifically for iPad, which revealed new instructions which also didn't work.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

haljordan posted:

Every website is designed for mobile browsing and even if you view it on a desktop PC, all the content is in a slim column in the middle with huge chunks of totally wasted space on either side.

geocities was ahead of its time

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Probably a one-off, but I got an email/ad from my bank (why is my bank, that I bank at, sending me ads for the bank?) that was extolling the virtues of their HELOC program and telling me NOT to close my HELOC yet. I had no intention of closing my HELOC, but at something like 8% interest I also have no intention of utilizing it unless absolutely necessary. The ad went through all the great things you could do with your HELOC, and other than the obvious ones like home repair or upgrades they mentioned "or just a lil' boost to your budget!" and I thought to myself did my bank just suggest that I draw from a HELOC as a way to supplement my regular expense budget? With that kind of sage advice I'm glad my accounts are FDIC insured.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Powerpoint loves to take up 25% of the screen to suggest different layouts when you paste in an image, and at best will give you the option after the second time to choose "stop suggesting layouts until next time you open Powerpoint". Yes, thank you, I love having to go through this every time I open the program because Powerpoint is convinced I am teetering on the edge of changing my mind about this.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Rockman Reserve posted:

meanwhile literally every time i open something from google drive everything about the interface has gotten slightly worse somehow

I discovered that a pdf opened in drive allows me to drag a rectangle over the page to highlight and add a comment, which is incredibly useful for providing notes to a student whose dissertation I am reviewing. But if you click anywhere on the screen other than the peekaboo taskbar or the confines of the page, you immediately warp out of the reader and have to reopen the pdf and start scrolling from the top to find where you left off.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I've tried the "hang a dishtowel out of the door and close the door to dry everything out" trick and it 100% does not work, so that's something that stayed lovely for no good reason, I guess

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

run on sentience posted:

I've seen the other two but am pleasantly surprised to see there is a gender-neutral suffix (since 2019 it looks like).

that's gróóming

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much ready to drop Amazon Prime, they don't seem to be able to fulfill orders anymore? And they lie on their customer service chat and say escalating to a sup won't get you a refund for something hypothetically in-delivery when they first thing the sup does is issue the refund. So you have to dodge around the first customer service person you run into and get to the supervisor boss-level to actually get your money back, which is good and fun. With the post-COVID rollout and maintenance of delivery options from grocery stores and e.g. Target I think the whole premise of Prime has sort of deteriorated anyway. I don't actually do a lot of shopping on Amazon (it's all handled by my SO), but I hopped on the site for the first time in forever during Prime Day(s?) to get heat-resistant grill gloves and I'm just assaulted with 30 brands I've never heard of all selling essentially the same exact, shittily-reviewed product for the same price. I'd pay 20-50% more for a version that actually does what it is supposed to do, but apparently that's not an option on Amazon. They really pissed the whole business down their leg.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Amazon, the online store, kinda seems like a quaint atavism that's only weighing down Amazon, the surveillance empire.

Yeah it has some "Neflix disk-by-mail service" energy at this point. I don't even pay attention to Prime Day as an event but I managed to hear what a suck-fest it was.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

wash bucket posted:

I just found out if you turn off a new MacBook it will turn right back on if you press any keys or touch the track pad. So if you turn it off to clean the keyboard it will just turn right back on once you hit a key. After a bit of searching around there's no straightforward way to change this behavior and some people have written custom "keyboard cleaning" apps just to capture all keyboard and track pad inputs to get around this problem.

:lol: Apple.

I mean how much attention to detail are you expecting for a laptop that only costs $6000.

Macbooks could be their own sub-thread here. I bought a late 2015 model Macbook Pro in early 2017 for cheap-ish, my first and probably last. I have gotten a tremendous amount of use out of it, and it's still working and functions mostly as a teleconference-device now but I could do some production on it if I wanted, still going strong. Almost immediately after I bought it the next released model had the keyboard redesign that became like a 5-year parade of total dogshit, constant problems and cheap fixes and extended warranties and like, zero plan to actually fix the problem? Macbook went from having the best keyboard to the worst almost overnight but it took years of lovely revamps and pretending there wasn't a problem before they managed to fix it. Just go back to the good keyboard! Pay me as a consultant I'm apparently the only one who can figure that out!

By the point they were moving to M1 --> M2 I figured it might be time to look into replacing my aging laptop, but one look at the price and I decided my Macbook days were over. I spec'd out an ubuntu laptop with twice the RAM and actual SSD space and it was nearly half the price of an entry-level Macbook. gently caress off Apple with this horseshit.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

euphronius posted:

How do you gently caress up “I’m emailing your a file, make changes and email it back to me “

This is what people want to do !! Ahhh

Along those same lines, MS broke the comments and tracked changes feature on Word at some point, at least on osx. It will accommodate an unspecified number of comments and changes, after which the file will no longer save. I found out while editing a student’s thesis.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Apple's "My Photo Stream" is officially shut down according to the email I just received. I don't really know what My Photo Stream was for, but I assume that something on my iPhone will be shittier as a result.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Here's my "old man yells at clouds" moment. Now that I have a family of 4, I generally have enough groceries to warrant the lanes with actual checkers. But the last few months, the people working the checkout can't even muster a single word while I'm in their line. No "hello," "did you find everything okay?" etc. etc. Just nothing. I mean I get it. You work for Kroger and they're rear end, but I try to sort my poo poo out a logical way for bagging and will do my own bagging if enough baggers aren't available.

So I just said "gently caress it. I'll just do the self check out." Except it is such a pain in the rear end. Every 10 or so items it magically decides I didn't bag something that I just bagged. Or just says that I need assistance for no discernible reason whatsoever. Like, the only winning move is not to play.

I used to do a lot of night grocery shopping in grad school, only self-checkouts available. I made rear end for money and relied on the specials/discounts/etc but half of them weren’t programmed into the self checkouts. I just shoplifted to make up the difference and I don’t feel even a little bit bad about it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Elder Postsman posted:

The ones where you have to talk to them are the worst.

“Tell me what you want, you can talk to me like a regular person.”

“customer service.”

(make believe typing sounds)

“Sorry, I didn’t get that.”

gently caress. Off.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Outrail posted:

The weather. Seems like everything is either on fire or under water or blowing away. Stop loving with the controls already.

The growing season was totally derailed by a cold and wet spring followed by a flash drought. I have a share of a community farm and get weekly deliveries and I swear they are a few weeks away from just delivering me a stack of canned veggies from the grocery store with a note that says 'Sorry!'

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Not allowing your employees to use the company's product because management believes it makes them less competitive is a strong move.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

Capitalism loves projection, every accusation is an admission of guilt etc

I'm reminded of the flood of tweets just post-quarantine with pics of empty store shelves and commentary like "life under communist Biden" when the cause was capitalism, and the President was Trump.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Somehow health insurance has gotten shittier. I moved to a new insurance when I switched jobs, and this new one is constantly trying to enroll me in their all-in-one app/IoT/virtual-assistant horseshit thing. I get emails about it on a daily basis. They literally pitched what amounts to a slack channel to chat with other people using the service like it's something I'd ever want to do. Let me in on that action, I need constant updates on what my Lisinobros are up to.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Mr Lanternfly posted:

There's a brand of baby formula we really like but goddamn it's annoying that they force you to sign up for a monthly subscription delivery service in order to buy it. We would've had like a dozen extra unwanted containers of formula by now if we hadn't cancelled the subscription every time.

The service as a subscription model is killing everything, this happened with a company we were buying from for more environmentally friendly washing machine and dishwasher detergents. Why do I need to subscribe to your detergents, why?? Just sell me the detergent when I need more detergent goddamn

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

is pepsi ok posted:

Chromecasts are a perfect example for this thread. The first one I got worked perfectly when I bought it. Then it steadily got worse with each update to the point where it was crashing every time I tried to use it.

Then I got a TV with a Chromecast built in and it somehow was even worse.

I'm still limping along on early-gen chromecasts for as long as possible, I have to do a hard unplug/plug-in reset every few weeks or else they start glitching like crazy. But the smartTV built-ins are such utter poo poo that I won't migrate over until I absolutely have to, and will probably just plug a laptop into an HDMI input and run things directly from there before I have to succumb to smartTV fail-tech.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

teen witch posted:

My mom clung to her JVC SD CRT until it literally popped and now after seeing her accursed Samsung bloatware TV, I regret not somehow finding her another CRT.

Why the gently caress does it need to take goddamn ten seconds to press a button and get a response. What. Why. No one wants this.

Gotta get the userbase used to the delay so they can fill those ten seconds with ads in-between menus

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

euphronius posted:

That’s insane why would they do that

I'm going to guess loss prevention

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, my work Dell has a USB C charger and I've cracked two of those flimsy plastic housings just in the last year. I barely move my computer at all, and never with the cable in!

This is what concerns me about it. I feel like I have to be extremely careful when plugging in or out or when repositioning the laptop while it's plugged in. Sort of robs the laptop of one of its most practical selling points.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

I worked on a board for a couple years that had a SMD USB-C port, and the physical design of the USB-C SMD part is the weakest link in the hardware of the standard. It's so tiny, so complex, very hard to work on/fix, and leaves a lot of room to break pins or traces with minor flex.

Yeah I have a ThinkPad that I really like, but it has a USB-C charging port and I feel like I have to line it up with all of the precision of docking to the International Space Station to prevent it from flexing. There doesn't seem to be any room for error at all. MacBooks seem to have figured this out a long time ago, although I think they also went through a USB-C era in the last few years because reasons.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Just raise the price by 3.5% per entree and nobody would notice, but attach a ridiculous fee for the crime of dining in-restaurant and you will immediately lose customers.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

One of my faves was doing carry-out ordering from Olive Garden (my wife and I are both caucasian, if you couldn't tell). I included a tip on the checkout that was carried through and reflected on the receipt I had to sign on pick-up, but underneath it was a line labeled "Additional Tip: ___________"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

So Doritos suck now I guess. I almost never buy them so today was the first time in over a year, and nah. Chips are off, seasoning is weak, these are either a bad batch or they are making them cheaper and charging more.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

The volume differential on YouTube between ads and video is like 2:1, goddamn

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Pajser posted:

people just refuse to do this for some reason, even dudes who are supposedly master computer touchers

Or I’m not watching YT on their webpage

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I bought a french door refrigerator from Best Buy about a year ago, and today I still get promotional emails from them about french door refrigerators. As if I would not only be in the market for another french door refrigerator in less than a year, but if I were in the market again I would somehow be willing to buy another one from the people who sold me a poo poo french door refrigerator that crapped out after a year.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

wash bucket posted:

It was explained to me that large appliance purchases are usually near impossible to predict from a marketing standpoint. However, when people do buy a large appliance a certain percentage of them won't like it and will be looking to return and replace it with something else. So that segment of people unhappy with their first purchase are who they're trying to market to.

Or maybe that's just a really clever after-the-fact explanation for their brain dead algorithm.

That makes infinitely more sense than the assumption that I collect french-door refrigerators. But it doesn't entirely absolve the seller of responsibility for having sold me a presumed-defunct appliance. If I bought a fridge from Best Buy and it crapped out after a year, I sure as poo poo would not buy a fridge from Best Buy ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

wash bucket posted:

Most people would blame the manufacturer in that case; not Best Buy.

I'd blame both, the former for building the poo poo and the latter for selling it.