Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

haljordan posted:

If you view quotes or trivia or goofs now on imdb they only show you a few entries and make you click a fuckin link to actually show everything and if you minimize your browser or click off the tab it forgets where you were in the list and you have to start all over.

They also added an idiotic floating "Return to top" button that you can't disable and it is supremely aggravating when browsing the site on a mobile device.

Do you know what a Bookmarklet is? Here's one that if you click it will remove sticky elements: https://pastebin.com/xC0zquF1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you search on google for something with 'something before/after:2022-12-31' it will bring you things from months or years before or after. there is a date field in the search results -- some of them clearly misdated, some actually outside the valid range.

also, the syntax on Twitter is different: until/since

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Million Ghosts posted:

i hate to sound like a boomer but man modern vinyl records sound like loving garbage. i dunno what part of the process makes it so, but i remember buying a Gucci Mane LP and it just sounded like absolute poo poo compared to the spotify files, to the point where i had to return it. same experience with some death metal records as well, most weren't that bad but all the modern stuff sounded either the same or slightly to extremely worse than spotify

but anything i had from the 60s or 70s sounded immaculate, even the ones that were beat to poo poo

I thought black metal is supposed to be lofi

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

One thing I will say that HAS gotten better somehow is automotive headlights plastic. I live in the desert where the sun is brutal and relentless, and it seemed like for a good while a brand new car’s headlights would turn hideous yellow and dingy/peeled from UV light after just a couple of years. It was really bad on cars from the ‘90s and ‘00s, and there wasn’t too much you could do about it. It was inevitable even if you bought creams and such to prevent it from happening,

Cars made within the past 10 years seem to have figured out the best material for headlights because every 2013 and up car I see on the road here still has crisp and clear headlights. I have a 2017 that almost never sees shade, and the headlights still look like new. Kudos to car manufacturers for finally figuring it out.

I’d still prefer glass headlights, though.

hmm
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7252168895224679722
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7257677854706535723

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

atomicpile posted:

I thought of making a thread where we listed things that aren’t getting shittier. Then I realized there wouldn’t be any content for it. Business degrees ruin everything.
shrinkflation and skimpflation haven't hit π, yet.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tarkus posted:

It's always been a thing and was worse 20 years ago since so many people smoked. You're just noticing it more for whatever reason.

asthma rates went up and there was some respiratory poo poo going around

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

I don’t use fabric softener in the wash, so I’ve always depended on dryer sheets to soften my clothes and it’s worked out great for decades. Snuggle was my favorite brand of dryer sheets, but ever since the parent company got bought out by Henkel a few years ago, the texture of the sheets changed from an actual fluffy towel sheet to a thin plastic-y paper-like thing with little to no softening agents or scent on it. I think the only thing they’re doing now is preventing my clothes from sticking together in the dryer and nothing else.

I switched to Bounce for a bit, but even Procter & Gamble seems to have jumped on the “gently caress you, consumer” train with similar thin sheets. The scent is actually there in Bounce, but you have to use more sheets to get the same results one or two sheets used to do. I was using like four or five sheets of Snuggle when they changed every load to get the results one sheet used to do.

Now I’m using house brand sheets that seem to have kept the old formula (for now) because the name brand stuff is garbage now.

You can dodge the shittiness by not using dryer sheets, they're like pouring lotion on your clothes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you open your car by any means other than a physical key, the car companies are laughing at you.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does the remote unlock fob count as they key? Mine is built INTO the actual key, if that helps?

My car also still needs an actual physical, metal key inserted and turned to start, no push-button. It's a 2019, so surprised it ISN'T just an RFID (or whatever they are) fob. I'm guessing it'll be the last (new/newish) car I own that still uses one.
It's all a scam, my friend. thankfully, because of all the shortages, you're lucky if you even find a car for sale that has a fob receiver. no joke.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

somewhat related to the letter thing.

you still have to input your country. even though you already inputed your address. my dude you have a city, state and zip. and youre still asking for country and you put it in the depths of the 'U's?

lol at 2023 and input forms are arguably more janky than the 90s.

100% on everything. input forms are like 3 fields to a page where you used to fit 12 perfectly fine. also it does network requests for drop-down autocomplete etc so the input fields are slow and laggy because of that too, and sometimes display spinners.

e: gently caress workday

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 14, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Biplane posted:

Evergreen meme

Although my mom currently has no teeth on the upper right side of her mouth, she had to pull them due to complications with her osteoporosis and it literally would cost north of 200k NOK to get it fixed. She does have a house at least.

Tell her to fly to Turkey. PS if you have any hair loss it can come along and get both taken care of for probably well under 200 kilonoks (> $19K) all included

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

All of my new corporate learning modules are badly formatted web pages you have to click through to get credit for complete
If there are unskippable cutscenes video segments, look for a browser extension that allows you to multiply the playback speed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Outrail posted:

Imgur loving sucks. Give me the goddamn jpg url don't make me click a hundred buttons and gently caress about with editing the url every time. You're an image hosting service, know your place.

Here I made some iOS/macOS shortcuts for catbox.moe. one is for transloading URLs the other uploads
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ae6cf36bb5f746d1a9193a8a773d7688
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b45fe6fb631947cab519e05eab40d142

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

run on sentience posted:

I didn't realize it had the Imgur uploader either. I was way too lazy to deal with uploading them somewhere else. Now I can participate in post pics of your pets derails!

Awful.app on iOS removed Imgur support a month ago because imgur is on its last legs.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is there a good alternative?

Imgur used to be really good and I guess I have no idea how they were paying for stuff, but it seems it's circling the drain.

I use catbox.moe, simple and fast. I posted some iOS shortcuts abovethread for even easier use. It's just a post form so if there's an automation facility on android it should be easy to replicate. look at their api page.

I use it to generate in bbcode the summary and thumbnail of a news article (as you get when posting a tweet of it or embedding in discord/slack)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is there an easy way to upload pictures directly from the awful ios app? Or have people been manually uploading pics to wherever and copying the url? this high friction has spared the forums from a lot of terrible posts in the past few months, and i need to change that

This is the best I got on iOS

mawarannahr posted:

Here I made some iOS/macOS shortcuts for catbox.moe. one is for transloading URLs the other uploads
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ae6cf36bb5f746d1a9193a8a773d7688
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b45fe6fb631947cab519e05eab40d142

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

naem posted:

image hosting websites as a concept might go away here before too long and then, what are forums anymore at that point
you can just leech. if it's from an organization that has ever received public funding, like PPP loans, you paid for that with your tax dollars.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

naem posted:

image hosting websites as a concept might go away here before too long and then, what are forums anymore at that point
let down by absentee owners and coders who never thought to improve or replace an attachment system that has existed for decades, assuming some other chump would pay for hosting.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Biplane posted:

This AMBER alert brought to you by McDonalds! I'm lovin' it!

That would suck

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bossy lady posted:

The screensaver on my roku has ads for mcdonalds and acura sneakily embedded into it.

they used to have an excellent cat screen saver with updating photos. they got rid of it?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here's a recent article about something that got lovely
Google Maps has become an eyesore. 5 examples of how the app has lost its way

www.fastcompany.com posted:

In the perennial battle among mapping services, there are two main competitors: Google Maps and Apple Maps. Google Maps was first out of the gate, in 2005, and has since introduced some truly revolutionary features, such as Street View and real-time business foot traffic. Those types of innovations have enabled Google Maps to become the most-used consumer maps service in the world: In February 2020, The Washington Post estimated that it had an 80% mobile market share.

But part of Google Maps’s success, at least on mobile, was due to Apple. Google Maps was the default mapping provider on iPhones until 2012, when Apple debuted its own mapping solution, Apple Maps. Apple’s offering did not get off to a great start, but in the decade since, Apple Maps has become a stellar mapping service on many fronts.

Google Maps still holds around 80% of the mobile market. But in recent years, I’ve found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the Google Maps experience, especially when it comes to general navigation and exploration of a map area.

Here are the five main reasons Google Maps has become a cluttered, frustrating mess—and why I find myself turning to Apple Maps more often.

## Enough with the hotel and bar pins

Whenever I’m in a major metropolitan area, Google Maps seems to have an obsession with displaying as many hotels, bars, and clubs on the map as it can. This happens even when I haven’t searched for a single hotel or bar. And it happens not only when I’m on vacation in a new city, but when I’m in my home city. Google knows my home address. So, why on Earth does it default to showing me as many hotels as possible in the city where I live?

The same is true of clubs and bars. I see pins for more dance clubs and bars in one small area shown on my smartphone’s display than I’ve ever actually been to in my life. Google knows I’m middle-aged and get up early to work. When I’m just browsing the map, can it really think I might care about the nearest club where patrons normally don’t leave until well past midnight?

By displaying all these irrelevant hotels and bars, Google makes it much harder to browse and navigate the map, since frequently the pins’ labels overlap or obscure more important elements, such as the shape and layout of streets.

## Too many ads clutter the map

The square pins you see in Google Maps are ad pins. They represent a place of business (a hotel, spa, etc.) that is paying Google to make sure it’s displayed on the map, despite the business’s irrelevance to me. Again, ad pins for hotels dominate, but right behind them are ad pins for restaurants with small text underneath them imploring me to “Order Delivery with Uber Eats,” which just further clutters the map.

Google is, of course, first and foremost an advertising company. Data compiled by Oberlo showed that 78.2% of its Q1 2023 total revenue of $69.8 billion came from ads. But its enthusiasm for placing ads in every corner of Google Maps just makes it all the more cluttered and increasingly hard to read. And that’s before we even get to…

## Photo pins signify what, exactly?

Google Maps identifies points of interest primarily by pin color and glyph: Hotels are represented by a pink pin with an image of a person sleeping in a bed, restaurants get an orange pin with a fork and knife, and so forth. Regular pins, denoting businesses or other points of interest, are reverse teardrop-shaped, while ad pins are square-shaped. But, since last year, there is also now a third form: the photo pin.

As best as I can tell, a photo pin is a pin for a business, but instead of a typical category glyph, it shows a large photo ostensibly related to the establishment. These pins don’t appear to signify that the business is notable in any way. (I mean, I’m sure I’ve seen photo pins for muffler repair shops—not exactly a tourist attraction.)

The photo pin might be the ultimate map monopolizer. It’s bigger, and the photo, seemingly pulled from a business’s Google Maps listing, doesn’t always even represent the business well. One photo pin I came across, oddly, seemed to show a photo of the dumpsters behind a restaurant. This just adds to user confusion and more clutter. It isn’t helping the business, either.

## I have no interest in someone’s work-from-home business

Another major contributor to Google Maps being an eyesore these days is a holdover from the pandemic when so many people were stuck working from home—or decided to begin offering their services from home. It is not uncommon to be browsing a residential area on Google Maps and be faced with a sea of work-from-home business pins.

The number of “consultant” businesses I’ve seen in residential areas on Google Maps has been shocking. The same goes for web designers, app programmers, and handymen—all of whom operate out of their residential homes. These may all be legitimate businesses run by self-employed people, but why on earth does Google Maps surface their listings on maps if they never have a single client enter their doors and, more important, if I’ve not searched for a provider of any of these services?

Clutter, clutter, clutter.

## Why won’t you show me the street name?

Finally, Google Maps seems more intent today on showing bars, restaurants, ads, and work-from-home businesses than useful map-related features. Sometimes it doesn’t even show the most basic information anymore, including street names.

Many times I just want to see the name of the street I’m standing on. So, I open Google Maps and zoom in on my current location. Yet no matter how far in I zoom in, Google Maps doesn’t always apply a label to the street I’m standing on. It just remains blank. Of course, business pins I have no interest in are still prominently displayed. 

A workaround I’ve stumbled upon whenever this happens is to select a business pin on the next street over. When Google Maps centers on that, it for some reason will label the street I’m standing on.

Among all the gripes on this list, I think this one is my biggest. If my ad-hoc workaround doesn’t work, I often have to open Apple Maps just to look up the name of the street I’m on.

## But for now, I’m stuck with Google Maps

All of the clutter that gets in the way of using the actual map makes me want to quit Google Maps for good. At the very least, Google should give users the option of hiding certain types of pins—say, hotels, for example.

But as much as I’d like to abandon Google Maps for the increasingly more user-friendly Apple Maps, I can’t. Despite Apple Maps making huge gains in usability, navigation, and user interface each year, Apple’s mapping solution still lacks when it comes to point-of-interest information. And as annoyed as I am by all those unwanted pins on my screen, I still often need some of those points of interest, such as popular times, live foot traffic data, reviews, photos, and other useful data that help me plan an outing. It’s nice to know peak wait times for a restaurant and how long customers typically spend there.

Only Google Maps offers all that, so they still have me for now. But please, Google, I’ll let you know when I’m looking for hotels.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Woolie Wool posted:

I don't really use Apple stuff but from my casual acquaintance Apple enshittifies the internals of their products rather than the UX amd their rich customers are happy to throw their Apple products away and buy new ones. It's an enshittification you don't notice if you make $400k and don't give a gently caress about the environment.

Oh they enshittify the UX like the best of them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The UX of Apple products is generally pretty great until you actually need the device to do something. As long as you keep your relationship with Apple firmly in the camp of 'toy' and not 'tool', they generally do OK.
I disagree. The UX is not generally pretty great, but it is also not a toy and there is some powerful stuff you can do on mobile with eg shortcuts. if you like to took around the terminal is right there on macOS.

However, the UX is still better than most things out there you can buy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

"powerful stuff" compared to a phone. Completely pathetic compared to any other computer. I have a pile of examples of how MacOS just doesn't let you flip or turn a knob from when I was forced to use that trashfire of an OS for development, but my favorite is probably asking people to turn off Mouse Acceleration on MacOS. You can gently caress with .GlobalPreferences, but it won't persist between restarts :P. Just a quintessential MacOS experience, that one.
you should look into the powerful technique of a script that runs at login, power developer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Yep - and you sure could just do a bunch of patchwork jank to get everything just so. And if you are really lucky, Apple won't ship an update that just bricks your stack of 'fixes' for at least 6 months.

I'd rather just use an operating system that has graduated from 'pretty toy' to 'actual tool'.
Arch Linux ftw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

So my big epiphany the other day was that smart TV UI's exhibit an insane amount of overlap with mobile touchscreen UI's despite former almost invariably using a button-based layout. If I am navigating your UI with a remote, and not my fingers, why are you expecting me to:

1. "Swipe" through every category/genre
2. "Swipe" all the way back to the beginning of the category because you never wrap anything (also I'm not gonna do that anyway because you only have a pool of like 40 movies despite having 700 categories)
3. Discover basic functions through random clicking and holding and/or mashing directional buttons until I finally find the hidden menu that lets me adjust subtitles or audio
4. Use a "keyboard" that is a single line of alphabetical characters that, once again, do not wrap
5. Figure out where the gently caress my cursor even is because you fuckers are terrible at loving highlighting things properly
6. Scrub/scan in fixed 10ms increments because your sliders can't actually be used as sliders
7. Navigate through like three submenus or straight up delete my history because you don't have/can't properly code/don't display a "start from beginning" button and I'm not sitting around for 40 minutes waiting for the episode to rewind.

Literally all of these problems are solved with a touch-based interface. Why the gently caress is our remote-controlled television interface I distinguishable from a 2006 Play Store app?

Anyway I started a Plex server last week and it's pretty nice. Strongly recommend.

The Apple Remote brings a touchscreen-like control that works with this. (Should it be necessary and should UX be designed like this? No.)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It for sure makes way more sense than what most devs are doing, but I still lose my cursor/position pretty regularly and if a vagabond eyelash/dust mote lands on the touchpad then RIP whatever the gently caress I was just watching. The remote is also tiny and not ergonomic in any way, so it's very easy to pick up incorrectly and turn off whatever you were viewing.

But yeah, still leagues above most of the competition. I just don't understand why.

mobile, the institutionalization of "UX" as a profession (I think it used to be more UI/HCI/ergonomics focused, and from memory I first remember hearing), and partly the necessity of justifying your job (not that this prevented Gnome developers)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

agreed. it's lovely.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Peggy Edson posted:

I just checked Amazon and they collapsed the star ratings. So it shows a single star with the average rating next to it, making the star completely loving worthless.
don't you get more precision looking at the decimal point than the star coverage?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Peggy Edson posted:

I don't really care about a 4.2 vs 4.3 rating. The star was a quick way to get an indication of how the reviews generally are. Grain of salt and all since there's so many fake reviews on Amazon, but yes I think the old way is easier at a glance.
you have a different but valid perspective than mine, thank you for sharing :)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Outrail posted:

The only really useful measure of Amazon ratings is to sort by recent, quickly scroll through and see how many 1 start reviews there have been in the last six months.
this is the only way to use Amazon, if you must.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cerekk posted:

Air travel sucks because no one will pay a price premium to fly on airlines that prioritize customer experience.

For decades, every time an airline has done something customer-hostile in order to reduce ticket price, the end result has been selling more tickets. When Virgin America or whoever tries to buck the trend and sell a premium experience, they go bankrupt instead.

It's those loving customers fault again!!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tunicate posted:

The problem is apparently that images are currently stored directly in the database
well then. sounds like they're gonna have to bring John Carmack in.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I used one AirBnB ever, and was chased out of the house by roaches in the middle of the night. You can have my spot in the reservation queue, I’ll be at a real hotel.

Real hotel is hardly a guarantee against roaches or other things like bedbugs. gently caress Airbnb though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm no expert but I do possess a handy chart.

The abbreviation key is here
https://imgur.io/ZUIdSmi

Pretty cool!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I like downcast the most and it's not a subscription but it has no audio processing to make poorly recorded podcasts sound ok :( Overcast has the best processing but one of the worst UI imo. Pocket Casts has such a feature but it pales in comparison to Overcast.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DrPossum posted:

Spotify started showing an alert nag if there's newly released podcasts for channels you follow. I have (had) a bunch I was following so it was coming up every hour without any way to turn it off. Just had unsubscribe to all of them. gently caress you spotify. Hire some competent designers

It's so loving annoying in general

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

doctorfrog posted:

Same here. For quick news, I also use text.npr.org. Anyone else got some decent text based sites?

not sure what you consider "decent" but I'm surprised https://lite.cnn.com still exists.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

My nephew a little over a year ago bought himself a nice used low miles Hyundai Sonata. This week, his insurance was dropped without explanation and after some investigating and calling the insurance company, he found out why: Hyundais and Kias have a high theft rate in this area.

So because he owns a car that has the potential to be stolen (as ALL cars do) but has never actually been stolen in the year that he’s owned it or even before he owned it, his insurance company can just say “lol NAH BRAH” and drop him like that? Horseshit.

His investigating even found his model year isn’t even on the list, but it’s a Hyundai so see ya! Luckily he was able to insure his car with someone else.

It's just a matter of time before it gets stolen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, my nephew’s is a 2011 with a physical laser cut key and ignition, not push-to-start or USB. It’s not even on the list of most stolen, but it’s still a Hyundai and that’s a red flag to insurance companies.

I thought it was some stupid computer poo poo having to do with USB but apparently it's not. The issue affects models with physical keys going back through 2011.
This low-tech hack specifically targets the Korean cars that use a physical key.

quote:

Videos—many of which have since been removed—reveal exactly how they're going about it, and it involves peeling back the steering column cover and dismantling the key slot. A USB cable can then be used to turn the ignition tumbler, start the vehicle, and release the steering lock. In turn, this allows the Hyundai or Kia to be driven away and started again at any time using the same cable. The thieves specifically target Korean vehicles with a physical key slot as push-button start models can't be bypassed as easily.

Vehicles that utilize a physical key fall victim to this method because they reportedly aren't equipped with a factory-installed anti-theft device called an immobilizer. These immobilizers use a chip (called a transponder) to authenticate a key against a vehicle's ECU. This means that even if a thief has copied the physical cuts on a key, the vehicle can't be started unless the transponder has been paired with the vehicle. Because the susceptible Hyundai and Kia vehicles allegedly do not have an immobilizer, the thieves are able to simply force the ignition cylinder as if they were using a screwdriver to perform the same trick on a car from the 1980s.