Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Riot Bimbo posted:

Reddit being a DoD project is telling here:

Where did you hear this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I am dreading the day my TV dies, it was the last generation of dumb TV and I know when I seek a replacement it’ll have to be a smart TV with smart features like data mining and ads that play between screen modes and rear end firmware apps that don’t work and

Just use a monitor.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hah, and they laughed and laughed.

Smart monitors are now a thing you have to watch out for.

Look on Samsung’s works, ye mighty, and despair:

So it has all this poo poo but as far as I can tell it still doesn't have a speaker lol

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hah, I just went and checked the specs on that:

A ringing endorsement of its audio fidelity, I’m sure.

The reviews on Samsung’s own site include negative comments about the sound.

Hmm so what exactly is the difference between a monitor and a TV these days anyhow?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

They're desperate attempt at trying to be some kind of actual social media site is killing it.

You can't upload images to it on mobile without the app, AFAIK. I even tried clicking the "Use Desktop Site" option in Chrome mobile, and it worked until the actual upload then it failed.

This is the bananas workaround I use:
The Awful App. It has a direct "Imgur" upload button, so make a post you never intend to post, use that to upload the image, then copy the actual Imgur link and paste it where you need it.

There are third party websites built specifically for users to upload to imgur without the app, which is kind of hilarious.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Today I tried to use an American Express gift card (prepaid debit) I've had laying around for a while. I found out pretty quickly that online stores basically won't touch it, and some brick and mortar places might not either! Neato!

"Lots of places don't take American Express" has been a thing since at least the 80s.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

CaptainCrunch posted:

I just opened Photoshop (I know, it's at work, it's what we use.)

Is there an obvious superior alternative to Photoshop?

You Are A Elf posted:

Went to Peter Piper Pizza (and I’m sure this applies to other pizza chains with big birthday party vibes) to celebrate my nephew’s birthday and all the games were just bullshit trick, chance, and skill games to win tickets (which are now on a tap card that also doubles for tokens). I mean, the latter is easier than physical tokens and tickets, but there were no arcade games to play, the air hockey tables were gone, the carousel was gone, and even skeeball, the most ubiquitous game at joints like this was a single lane in a forgotten area.

I don't know myself, but I've heard restaurant/arcades started skimping on "real" arcade games because they don't like the kind of customer they attract.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I honestly would just be like "whatever idc" about youtube shorts but there's no volume control, it's just mute or not mute, which is really stupid.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

pencilhands posted:

Why are like 95% of online ads now related to treatments etc for having a small dick?

They have algorithms to target personalized ads that they believe are relevant to you.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

BigHead posted:

Amazon has suddenly decided to endlessly advertise twitch titty streams to me?? Like I'm some 18 year old straight kid instead of a middle aged married gay man? I've started clicking "not interested" to at least thirty of these loving things and every day somehow there is another girl in a bikini doing a "stretching stream." It also somehow thinks I have a dog and speaks Spanish! What on Earth.

Your husband is cheating on you with a Spanish-speaking physical therapist chick with like five dogs.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i would argue this is because we have a world where designers legit designed towards this idealized future because they liked the look of it. like how tablet technology was inspired by the touchscreen poo poo in TNG.

I'm 10,000% sure Alexa exists entirely because somebody wanted to finally make "Computer, do {such and such thing}" a reality.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Apparently in the 70s you could pay for your flight while ON the flight

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Original_Z posted:

I wonder how much longer until hardware becomes locked at a subscription. Buy that new microwave and washing machine for only $30 a month! Now everyone can own appliances, sure you'll spend more in the long run, but in the short term it's so affordable! Once you subscription lapses the machine stops working and bills you a huge cancellation fee and you also have to pay for the cost of courier to come pick it up!

You all know it's gonna happen eventually, we keep paying for subscriptions, even when they raise prices and make them worse companies continue to report growth and record profits. You know every industry wants to get a piece of the action.

It's called rent-to-own and it's been around for decades.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why do old people struggle so hard to comprehend the idea of a "podcast"?? It's just a drat radio show. They can get the idea of steaming video but not podcasts for some reason.

It's the name. "Podcast" is outdated and misleading, and the fact that it even has a special term in the first place implies it must be something more specific than it actually is.

And when that term is a portmanteau of two misleadingly specific technologies as iPods and broadcasting, people naturally assume it MUST be some tedious nerd bullshit, because no reasonable person would willingly adopt a made-up esoteric and oblique new gag term like "podcast" (that focuses on the drat equipment) if they could've instead simply used existing familiar words like "audio show" that accurately describe its content and purpose (entertainment!).

Online video doesn't have these difficulties because nobody decided to make a jokey Frankenstein combo-term into the official new bullshit name for this concept that already exists like "telestream," or "phonecast," or "instagram," it's still just video.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 29, 2024

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Like “reels”, you mean? Facebook “stories”? Or “tiktoks”? Sure, none of those are bullshit.

At least YouTube Shorts is correct and descriptive but it certainly assumes you know what YouTube usually is for.

I think I've only heard someone actually speak those terms out loud to refer to particular videos maybe once each, and it stuck out how lame it sounded. It's pretty much always "I saw a video on youtube/tiktok/facebook/online"etc.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

thathonkey posted:

im listening to my favorite audio show

Yeah see how easy that is? If you want you could try compound-wording it like "audiobook".

We could probably also get away with "radio show" even if it isn't technically correct - since it's a pre-existing term already understood first and foremost as a presentation format rather than a piece of tech (and it's analogous to a series on Netflix being a "TV show" even if you don't necessarily watch it on TV). "Online radio show" would probably cover all the bases for most folks.

Hell, we could've just called them "iPod shows" and it probably would've clicked with most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah too bad your credit card chip sends them your first name, last name, middle initial and zip code. They take that data and cross reference purchased data from, for example, the secretary of state, bundle it with everything you've ever purchased and then sell it to other companies. The card terms of service still apply even if you don't make those details explicit to them.

If this is true why do I never see any relevant ads or receieve any junk mail in the past year