Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hollismason posted:

I've actually been researching non smart tvs and you can get like a 50 inch , no smart tv for like 300 bucks.
Problem is that if you want stuff that’s legit cool like Dolby Vision it’s (nearly?) impossible without a smart tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Bagging your own groceries is scabbing. So is self-checkout.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Armacham posted:

Those freestyle machines are like half the reason I even bother going to the movie theater ever at all anymore
It's funny, I don't use the bar at AMC anymore because smuggling in booze and playing with the freestyle machine is fun. Freestyle machines are the only reason I go INTO a fast food restaurant, ever.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cerekk posted:

It makes sense that goons love Musk since he's basically what you'd get if Lowtax was alive and a billionaire.
Grimes isn’t asian.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Biplane posted:

It also helps if you are literally an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic!
It’s really not nice to clinically diagnose people like that, she could just be a nut.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Since I had Covid all I can drink is IPAs, they have a nice bitterness but everything else is just bland.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The "[generation] doesn't know how to fix cars anymore" thing…
I spent my early 20’s dead-rear end broke in a car-dependent “city” and learned how to fix anything and everything with every car we owned.

Within like an hour of having a job that paid enough to pay an expert I just forgot how.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
TV companies want to move TVs. On TVs the netflix, etc, buttons on the remote exist only to get paid by netflix, etc, allegedly paying Roku a dollar per remote. As the for apps, even the minimal amount of engineering resources is just a money sink and a reason for people NOT to buy a new TV.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GolfHole posted:

it's the original purpose/intention of blockchain technology.
So a database is blockchain technology now?

I thought blockchain was an incredibly expensive to run distributed database where nothing can get corrected. Given the incredibly incorrect poo poo that’s been put in my and my wife’s medical record that I’ve had to spend incredible amounts of time and energy fixing, having a write-only db seems like a bad idea.

Similarly any distributed database is a security nightmare, even worse than the poo poo that can be pulled now if you read the privacy policy every health provider has you sign.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The places that have baggers are usually union in middle America while those that don't aren't. There's an exception in Costco and Aldi, but generally if there's no bagger it's a lovely place to work. You shouldn't support lovely places to work.
Came in to post this. if you use self-checkout or bag your own groceries at a Kroger or whatever, you're a scab.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Laserface posted:

…How did nobody come up with a better format than PDF in the last 30 years?
It turns out that this poo poo is complicated. Who would have guessed?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The_Franz posted:

There's really only two reasons to pay for linear TV service anymore:
  • You want to watch certain sporting events
  • You are a terminally brainwormed cable news addict
TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES
You can get a subset of their programming other places, like Max, but the full channel the streaming service are ONLY available to cable customers. I pay for YouTubeTV JUST for this goddamn channel.

Oh and to record Quincy, which isn't available anyplace streaming without ads. Mark my words kids, Quincy is the next Colombo, only worse and preachier about dumb poo poo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Number_6 posted:

peacefully colonizing
:bigwhat:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The ultimate car is an early 2000's Sienna minivan, you cannot improve on perfection
Too damned big for a ‘minivan’, plus that oil problem they kept denying. Hard pass (Mazda MPV rulez Sienna droolz).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
When I joined Starfleet, that job was my only ambition. Unfortunately I’m right-handed, and was only allowed the other seat, which was much more competitive for some reason, and a much less creative position.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

thathonkey posted:

i find it highly dubious to claim there arent ways around disabling the indicator somehow or using the other face-id related sensors instead of the main cameras etc
usually the activity light on a webcam, like the write-protect switch on SDCards, is just a software control not as tightly coupled to the hardware as one would like. I have seen laptop webcam shutters coupled to a switch that disconnects the camera, which is cool.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sentient Data posted:

Thing that got shittier: didn't normal Lays used to be regular sliced potato chips? I grabbed a bag for the first time in a while, and the texture was the same kind of compressed powder thing as pringles

When I get these from a machine it’s because they are outdated.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't wait till there's a book out about the insane "pivot to video" craze. Just a completely unhinged and counterintuitive case of 21st century capitalism chasing its own tail in the pursuit of a mirage and in the process trampling on people's lives, livelihoods, and creative output
It worked perfectly, now there are damned near no websites with their own ad sales, everything goes through Facebook or Google for ad sales.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm genuinely shocked you can buy a non-HDMI DVD player in tyool 2024.
Leaving off HDMI saves a few bucks, and you don’t need it for SD or DVD playback, I’m not surprised a cheaper one doesn’t have it. Also, you need to pay to put the logo on the box. And the unit. Also, welcome to Sony model numbers, always look at the box.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And if we can talk about cables, connections and such, I hate Displayport.
DP is more capable than any HDMI standard previous to the HDMI 2.1b FRL stuff, and that won’t work with most cheap HDMI cables, wherein even a 10-year-old DP cable will work fine with modern standards.

HDMI is a complex mishmash of capabilities that is mostly mitigated by too much software and a willingness to remove quality at runtime IMO.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It’s not a podcast without an RSS feed, that’s what differentiates it from an audio file on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cerekk posted:

Hard to get mad about this tbh
To avoid paying royalties when ingesting into LLMs.