Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

It exists on mobile…and not on desktop. Let’s see if I keep getting loving Death in June regardless!!!!!!

The preference exists on mobile, but even if you toggle the preference on mobile it doesn't even apply your selection to PC (or anywhere else you listen to it, like a smart TV).

Still better than Pandora, though, gently caress that place. I was an original Pandora subscriber from when they were new and the only game in town. I spent over a decade perfectly curating several stations. Then they enshittified their algorithm. Want to listen to 80s hair metal sometimes, chill out with lowfi hip hop at other times, and play some Stick Figure while you cook dinner? Too bad, here are some some Imagine Dragons and Taylor Swift songs crammed into every piano concerto and Mongolian throat singing station you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Alaska Airlines got rid of their easy check in kiosks where you could check in, change your seat, pay your baggage fee and get the paper receipt my work requires, and print your baggage tag. They replaced those kiosks with kiosks that only print baggage tags. They did this because they want to try to force you to get the app and do your check in and whatnot there, then you beep your phone to get your bag tag.

My old-man-yells-at-clouds thing is putting superfluous apps on my phone. I just refuse to get an app, sign up for an account, sign up for the mailing list, and give away all my data for a one time use of an app. So I had to stand in line like it's 1995 to have a worker check me in. She confirmed it's worse for everyone and everything takes forever now. gently caress you Alaska.

It's just removing all sorts of functionally to make the process worse.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

naem posted:

earbuds fall out of my ear and with no wires i’d lose them instantly

and no quality waterproof headphones with an actual headband exist that I could jog with those don’t exist anymore

I've tried several different types of over-ear exercise headphones over the years. I have zero shame buying and returning lovely electronics, so I shop around, and headphones was something I actually spent time on. I have a weird ear shape apparently, plus I sweat like crazy when I run, any in-ear headphones were a non-starter. After trying probably a dozen different brands, JBL Endurance Peak 3 work the best for me.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Shithouse Dave posted:

Not that I’ve ever heard someone playing good music on their phone speaker in public, but even great tunes I really like sound lovely through phone speakers

It’s always some slurry auto tuned poo poo though. Many, many genres, always horrendous autotune.

I was on the train yesterday and this couple were watching some sitcom on their phone via loudspeakers. Guy was holding the phone, lady was standing behind him eagerly watching over his shoulder. Super eagerly, in this weird creepy way like she's watching him set up the heroin needle. The show was the one with Erkle in it maybe? Something annoying from the 90s with a super annoying laugh track. The whole thing sounded horrible and I have no idea why the people treated it like crack. That was one of the most bizarre things.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
90 percent of podcasts are the modern equivalent of godawful 90s zany drivetime jock radio personalities. Just gotta find the good ones.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

Disney subtitles are so bad. And they take up like, one fifth of the screen. Amazon prime is the only one that does subtitles well, you can make them really loving small if you want, and change fonts and background.

Prime's subtitles are totally disassociated with the episode if you watch on Firefox. That bug has been around for ages. Like, the subtitles play either ten minutes ahead of visuals of the episode or they're for a totally different episode. For me, makes watching anything on Prime impossible in Firefox.

Peacock also sucks at subtitles. Theirs is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper teeny tiny if you're watching on a smart TV with no way to increase the font.

mawarannahr posted:

It's so loving annoying in general

Spotify started throwing these popups at me when it enters drive mode. Which is a mode that your map app automatically forces Spotify to enter if the car starts moving, that you can't turn off. It's three or four huge popups that hide the controls, and the only way to get rid of them is to gently caress around on your phone trying to find the tiny (x) button while driving. Just making the whole experience actively hostile to life at that point.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
What the gently caress since when did Hulu stop showing Monday Night Football with the ESPN+ addon? I actually have Monday Night free-ish so I can watch most of the game but that's disappeared now :mad:.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Beastie posted:

I hadn't realized the ads on Youtube were so unhinged.

Epoch times "documentary" (yet somehow its presented as a Lifetime Oringinal Movie" about gender conversion.
Weird Scottish man ranting about FREE ELECTRICITY that is underground and the power companies totes don't want you to know about.
SUPPLEMENTS
That weird jacked dude that talks about dieting not working but this time Dr. Drew is here!

I got an ad on youtube that was a 45 minute long episode of some Evander Holyfield or Mike Tyson boxing reality show. A whole rear end episode, played as an ad during an ad break in whatever recipe thing I was trying to watch on someone else's phone. It was the weirdest thing.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 16, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I was driving home today and Google maps asked me to turn left. Except it didn't say "turn left in 1000 feet" it said "turn left in 1000 feet at the Papa Johns, home of the fresh baked pizza!"

That's the first time I've ever heard an advertisement in my Google maps directions. I can't say I enjoyed it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Cabal Ties posted:

The best thing about switching to Firefox is having the feeling that Google knows your doing it

When you use Bing to Google Firefox, as the first thing one does with a new PC, Bing will throw up a bunch of "but wait you haven't even seen all of it cool features yet!" messages. They were good messages, they actually made me feel a tinge of sympathy for Bing and how everyone craps on their dev team lol.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

They made Chrome worse. I haven't looked at all the ways it's worse, I just know it is.

I feel like you could empty quote this every three weeks and be pretty accurate.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

Here's a list of stuff Google got rid of last year. Wonder what 2024 will take from us.
Here’s what Google killed in 2023

Speaking of which, what's a relatively not lovely podcast playing app? Google Podcast was actually good, so it's understandable they'd kill it for no reason, but April 1 they're shutting down and I need a new podcast home.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I'm at Monster Jam and they just did the whole 'murica thing of honoring the first responders and military and some stupid country song and blah blah blah. Then they played the national anthem, except they specifically limited the anthem as applicable to "all the great Americans born in this country."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

WTFBEES posted:

I'm pretty undemanding of podcast apps. I don't play at accelerated speeds, auto-skip dead air or any of that fancy stuff. So I gave Google Podcasts a try when it came out and stuck with it because it checked the boxes I wanted:

• Has Android Auto
  • Shows me new episodes
  • Plays those new episodes
  • Doesn't have ads

Big freaking surprise, Google is discontinuing Google Podcasts. Yes I should have seen this coming but there's an easy migration to YouTube Music so let's give that a try. As it turns out, I have a requirement I didn't previously realize.

I know a lot of people get mad about decreasing information density. I'm generally indifferent and don't mind padding things to look nice. That said, what the gently caress is this trash? Sure these episodes don't need their name in the title but even that doesn't fit.

Google you suck poo poo at everything.

YouTube music first hosed up the transition from podcasts to itself, then it started playing loving imagine dragons at me when I paused the podcast I was trying to listen to. So I uninstalled that. Amazon Music's podcast section is decent but the loving app autoplays when you switch devices. So after turning off my car it stopped playing in my car and started full volume blasting out of my phone in my bag. So gently caress that app.

I'm currently trying Pocket Casts free version. So far it doesn't suck and has the same UI on Android Auto as Google podcasts. We'll see though it'll probably try to hijack my Roomba or something.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Love my work rolodex. That thing has saved my bacon so many times.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My default Android contact list does the bullshit thing where the list loads, then exactly one second later some bullshit banner loads that pushes all the contacts down one spot. Every single loving time I have clicked on a contact the last several weeks I clicked on the contact one up the list because of this. gently caress yoooouuuuuuuuu default Android contact list! As far as I can tell the banner thing that loads is just a line that says "<email address> has 170 contacts!" I know my own freaking email address and I never asked you to freaking count my contacts and load a banner ad telling me how many freaking contacts I have you psycho developers who thought this was a good idea?! Argh.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Amazon has suddenly decided to endlessly advertise twitch titty streams to me?? Like I'm some 18 year old straight kid instead of a middle aged married gay man? I've started clicking "not interested" to at least thirty of these loving things and every day somehow there is another girl in a bikini doing a "stretching stream." It also somehow thinks I have a dog and speaks Spanish! What on Earth.

I thought these mega corporations were supposed to know everything about us.

This is how I find out my neighbors are stealing my WiFi isn't it?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MrTargetPractice posted:

Here in Florida the road paint dissappears when it rains at night which is all the time.

In Seattle they have little reflective road bumps like every three feet for every lane marker. They honestly make driving in the rain - which is even more always than your always - not bad at all. Florida should spend an extra $0.14 /mile and significantly improve the road infrastructure.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The big bags of Kingsford charcoal got rid of their super nifty string zip top opener. Now they're glued together and it takes an act of God to even start opening one. They kept the tear away bit of butcher paper that used to be the string zip opener except now it just tears away like a limp loving fart. I had to bust out the kitchen shears I use to spatchcock chicken to get the drat bag open what the gently caress it's such a significantly worse design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CodfishCartographer posted:

Back when they were just words, it was to help digitize books.

Those also spawned one of my favorite mspaint threads: Draw things from randomly generated reCAPTCHA text!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3140362

The Responsibility Scallop :backtowork: still pops up in my brain from time to time.