Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Sorry, Copy/Paste is now enhanced with AI and powered by The Cloud (And requires a subscription of $9.95 / month)

AI prediction for copy/paste formatting is a loving incredible idea right out of my personal hell. Amazing that we haven't seen it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried to recycle a power supply at staples and they told me its free but only if I install the staples app. I said forget it and threw the power supply into the trash outside. Sorry earth maybe next time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh this is a great thread to mention that my landlord got rid of the payment website and now all payments must be made through the landlord-app on your phone.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I hope the staples app has a data breach so I can call all those dumb motherfuckers one at a time and ask them what they were thinking when the installed the staples app.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Atopian posted:

So since it's a common topic, question:

Can anyone offer / link to a guide to keeping an android app separated from your actual data when it's installed?
I know they typically won't run / will crash if denied permission to access stuff, so I'm hoping for a guide to setting up a sandbox for them.

They absolutely need this on android, just a sandbox that sends the app fake names, fake phone details, fake locations, etc. I don't have to wonder very hard to figure out why the pixel doesn't have anything like that, but it's a really good idea.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When LEDs were first getting put onto skyscrapers as massive decorations someone here posted that this was a great example of why technology won't save us from global warming. Here is a breakthrough in lighting that is 10x more efficient, and all people are going to do is use 10x more of them, netting zero actual energy savings.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Trucks are getting big enough now that the headlights can go over my entire car and therefore stop blinding me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
strong support for core download journeys

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cerekk posted:

me setting up a VPN, finding a reliable tracker, downloading 4 copies of what I want hoping only 3 will be Hong Kong specials, clearing space off my hard drive, connecting my TV to the network, restarting the movie 4 times trying to turn off Czech closed captions: "wow, this is so much more convenient than inserting a disk and pressing play."

You have to:

1) Get your car keys
2) Get your wallet
3) Get into the car
4) open the garage door
5) turn the car on
6) drive to the store
24) Buy the DVD
25) Get back into your car
98) extend your first finger
99) extend your thumb
100) pick up the bluray disc
125) finally watch the movie

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
On my mazda3 you can press the gas down a little and instead of accelerating it overrides the range finder. That lets you avoid the issue where the car slams on the brakes because someone merged in.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm making a change.org petition to get rid of cars RIGHT NOW!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think I get 2 email every week that are like "We're updating our privacy policy! If you use our service you agree to it".

I wonder if I can send them an email that I'm updating my privacy policy and they agree to it if they continue providing services to me. (no)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In the year 2050 all intersections are toll intersections. Each intersection is owned by one of several companies and the free market determines the optimal routes to take through any given area. Of course it can be difficult to run all of toll apps on your phone. Luckily, major advances in cellphone technology allow thousands of mandatory apps to run while still providing nearly the same performance as today.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nobody has ever talked through a show I've gone to, mostly because its metal bands playing so loud your bones get turned into powder.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cerekk posted:

we should be celebrating the elimination of menial labor jobs

boo hoo, there's no longer an underclass getting paid minimum wage to serve me at the grocery store

I bet you're one of the people whining on nextdoor about the lazy garbage collectors that don't get out of their trucks anymore, too

Automation is good but only if you still pay the people who's jobs you eliminated. If we had UBI people wouldn't get sad when a car factory fires 8000 people after buying a billion dollars worth of robots.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cactus Ghost posted:

also they're pretty low on the ranking of vpns most likely to be a cia front, purely based on the fact that they advertise hardly at all, unlike the three that just popped into your head on account of them throwing money at every podcaster and youtuber with more than 10,000 views

The CIA isn't going to snitch on you for torrenting Breaking Bad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Talorat posted:

They have it at T-Mobile park (the baseball stadium here in Seattle) and it’s unironically really great. You scan your credit card, walk in, grab whatever hot dogs or snacks or beer you want, and walk out. I’ve used it like 5 times and it’s never over or under charged me, even with dozens of people milling about in there.

And you can't think of any downsides or other applications for this technology that might not be worth skipping the checkout?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kit Walker posted:

Can they even track direct downloads? Like, in Germany torrenting is potentially a huge risk because there are some law firms that camp public trackers and if they see your IP downloading something they'll send you a fine for like 3000 euros or whatever. However, they don't do poo poo if you illegally stream something or just directly download it, and I assumed that was simply because it's harder to determine if you're doing that. Surely they'd be able to get the ISP to fork over that information if it was readily available, but I don't know if that's how it works

This is a consequence of how torrents work. If someone adds their computer to the swarm they can see your computer connect to them for uploading/downloading. In contrast if you directly download content from a server only you and the server operator have a direct simple record of what you downloaded.

Security is a sliding scale not an absolute. If the CIA wants to know what you're doing on the internet they're going to find out; it doesn't matter what VPN you use. However, if the MPAA wants to find out what you're downloading their toolset is a lot more limited. Torrenting on a public tracker is so insecure that even the MPAA can figure it out, but the direct download would require the police/warrent/etc in advance of you getting in trouble, and whos going to bother with that?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't know why but I was thinking "I wonder if any alt-right redditors have issued redubbed Rick and Morty season 7 episodes using an AI Justin Roiland voice" and I googled it and yes they have.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Discord is the uncontested king of "new feature" pop ups. Thank you for logging in, please acknowledge this week's sprint by clicking 8 times.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just lol if you don't have a active condenser mic on a giant boom arm with a custom microphone flag that has your name and logo on it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Moon Monster posted:

Like 90% of all software development since, I dunno, 2006 seems to be directed entirely at a tiny sliver of power users and even then it's like 50/50 on whether they appreciate it or are annoyed by it. Programs are using 1000x the resources for 1.17x the functionality.

LividLiquid posted:

My last partner was a developer and confirmed something I'd long-suspected: your job is dependent on a thing *never* being finished. So, you either keep trying to fix what isn't broken and ruin the app, website, or software, or you start adding poo poo that 99% of people will never use and hope your bosses still get excited about it.

To add to this, if you stop adding features while you're revenue negative your product is instantly dead.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

theflyingexecutive posted:

Discord doesn't have ads, so there's no revenue to be gained for loving around with the ui so much

Right, there is no money in running it either. The idea is you keep working on it until you hit a critical mass of people, and then sell it to a another company that will monetize it. But if you're not making money and you're not selling, you have to be working on it. If you don't do any of those 3 your company is over.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You ever notice that people that use the self-checkout checkout like this: "bluh bluh bluh bluh" but people who use the normal checkout checkout like this: "duuuh uhhh duuuuh uh? Uh?

Hahaha

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yes as mentioned on my resume, I have 20 years experience with Kobold.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

is pepsi ok posted:

We're using this new project management software at work. If you want to change the status of a task you just click a button to move it to the next status, except every time you do it opens a loving popup directly over the button to inform you that you just clicked the button.

So when I want to complete a task I have to click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to In Progress!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Under Review!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Customer Review!" popup to disappear.....

I run into one of these daily which is a box that pops up and says "Are you sure you want to acknowledge this page?" The use case for this is if you wanted to work on the issue while your pager keeps going off? Yes, please keep beeping, I'm going to go make a sandwich and I don't want to forget? It's insane.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

credburn posted:

Enshittification is kind of a dumb word.

We used to come up with better words, but everything is cheaper these days.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sentient Data posted:

Some remote starts are cell phone network powered, so there's a actual cost associated. The real reason for the car update subscriptions is to force let the driver to pay for the features of a higher trim package but only be able to resell the base model, not any of the paid-for "upgrades"

And this shifting of costs to premium consumers makes the base models less expensive? Okay that makes sense.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FalconImpala posted:

It is a greenscreen of James Gandolfini simply walking around.

You clicked it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Deflation sounds great until you realize your wages would get slashed to match the prices and then your debts would be gaining value faster than you're paying them off.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Hey which one is the one where workers benefit and rich people don't; inflation or deflation?"

I got some bad news for you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Every ad I get is for deodorant but I don't even wear it, so I feel like internet ad targeting has completely failed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nice obelisk idiot posted:

In the case of Warheads I feel like adults usually have enough sense to not eat something so acidic that it causes tissues in your mouth to slough off

The fate of all skin cells.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Suspect A posted:

2 x 4s are now 1.5 x 3.5 in actual dimension.

Why.

I was curious about this, and sure enough two by four is a name that means 1.5 x 3.5" and its because historically they could cut them 2"x4" and then when the boards dried out they would shrink down to about 1.5x3.5" and eventually it was formalized like this to make building more consistent.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wegmans is what snooty east coasters think a great grocery store looks like but they've never been to horrocks.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Your Operating System is a Piece of poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cerekk posted:

I'd get rid of prime but their cloud storage for photography is still really cheap, presumably because so few people use it that it's not worth Amazon's time to get rid of. Does anybody know of an alternative cloud storage provider that allows 50+ TB of .cr2s for $10/mo?

Good luck migrating 50Tb of anything between 2 cloud providers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Duck and Cover posted:

AI is a tool, complaining about it instead of the garbage created using AI is kind of dumb. Does it steal? No/yes, except when it does/doesn't. Can it generate cool poo poo? Yeah. Can it generate garbage? Yeah. Is it here to stay? Yeah this isn't bitcoins, this is a useful tool that's already pretty impressive. Anyway people shouldn't be fighting to secure their work and should be fighting for not having to work.

:wrong:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm not even going to get into the rest of it but to start with, there's a reason every STEM degree includes humanities and its to try to avoid people inventing super-smallpox because "its just technology, it's always morally neutral." Just like guns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What would be an example of content that AI didn't steal, and how did it come about producing it besides (I assume) actual sentience?