Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Livo posted:

Is this kind of thing the norm, or not really a standard thing for vet prescriptions in other countries? Not that it'll prevent AI screw-ups with names from happening , but at least a "Prescription clearly states it's for Bear Surname, not Kathryn Surname!" is easier to explain than putting all vet prescriptions under your own name, surely?

No idea if it's standard with scripts, but when I was young we always found it funny and endearing the way both the vet and the council paperwork would refer to our cat as 'Misty [Our Surname]". Oz too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh, Google's been slowly rolling out a version of their image search page without an 'advanced search' option, you can still go directly to it but I expect when they finish it'll go away. You only get the limited toolbar options.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I learned to drive in my mom's Previa. The dash was like a ST TNG set piece

I dunno, when it comes to driving controls TNG were unfortunately pretty prescient.

All touch all the time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 28, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I hate options that makes the service better, good

I assume the idea is 'advanced search shouldn't be necessary, it should be good enough to give you what you want!' and that demand has overruled the many reasons why that won't work and also the fact that you can't reach that state just by taking away the advanced search.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Convex posted:

I always wonder how they kept the carpets so clean, you never saw anyone with a vacuum cleaner.

There's a line about the ship cleaning itself at one point.

There's a bit in Discovery where someone has the cliche angry public breakdown and knocks over a bunch of tables and then later on when they've calmed down and are talking it out we see a bunch of lil drones popping out and picking up the tables and chairs and neatly putting them all back in place.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 29, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sometimes they'll be using the moment of your mouse and the timings of your scrolling to figure out how your attention moved across the page so they know when you got grabbed anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Did a shrimp-like species member of the Federation design these chairs? This doesn't look like a good time for Brent and Levar's spines.

They started out heavily reclined like that. It might've been to give better clearance to the viewscreen. Or maybe it was meant to be more ergonomic using those controls. Anyway they changed it after the first few seasons for something more normal.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 31, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of the time the captcha has already decided you're human, they're just using you as free labour to train a vision AI. There'll be squares it's sure about, and those validate that you're actually trying to be accurate, and then some that are edge cases, and you confirm it one way or the other for the AI to learn.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cat botherer posted:

The screens are tilted so far away from the chair angle, how can they read poo poo? Data and Geordi probably can, but I'm pretty sure everyone else just has regular eyes.

In the future we have evolved beyond poor eyesight, everyone has 20/10 vision.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dear UI designers STOP ADDING TOO MUCH PADDING TO EVERYTHING

I am using a computer I do not need things to be all spread out so you can touch them on your tablet why are you making me use tablet-size menus

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's fair but I'm still grumpy about the latest chrome UI refresh. Not sure it actually does any accessibile improvements so much as just cargo cults the design styles.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 1, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BigHead posted:

In Seattle they have little reflective road bumps like every three feet for every lane marker. They honestly make driving in the rain - which is even more always than your always - not bad at all. Florida should spend an extra $0.14 /mile and significantly improve the road infrastructure.

Retroreflective panels. They're very common, I'm surprised their use is limited enough in the US you identify them with Seattle.

In the original form in the UK they were made of aluminium with two beads facing each direction, giving you extra directionality. The part with the fragile reflectors was on a flexible base so it could push down into the road when something too heavy went over the top, so it didn't break as easily. And a little static rubber wiper meant every time they got pushed down they got wiped clean. Very durable, simple, well designed, low maintenance.

The upfront cost was a little bit more though so you don't see them in a lot of countries and instead they just use the plastic ones and replace them when they break.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Outrail posted:

They can't use reflectors anywhere it snows because the plow would wreck it. When I first moved up I wondered why they dont use them in Canada.

The English style cat's eyes handle them fine, they depress into the ground.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I design and build desktop software. Specifically, I work on production-class software which informs a lot of my opinions about how UI should be built. I have so much to say about this, and I would love to turn this into a talk at some make believe software design conference.

[rant here]

Also, if you have trouble with smaller elements, we have DPI settings nowadays. (Admittedly kinda poo poo on old things but the new stuff that loves to put padding everywhere is usually capable of properly dealing with DPI settings)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Croccers posted:

The whole 'WOKE AI won't say Racist things to save the world!11!!' was hilarious to me because even ChatGPT will has no issue generating that, it's the human moderation that stops you from seeing it. Maaaaybe a word filter but I feel that all it does it highlight it to the human mods.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/aug/02/ai-chatbot-training-human-toll-content-moderator-meta-openai

I'm sure it does but that article isn't about moderation of the outputs, it's about moderation of the input data sets.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Celsius is as good as Fahrenheit for everyday use though. Better, even. :colbert:

He's just trying to start the interminable argument again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

base 12 is inferior to base 60, the ultimate gigachad number system

Sexagesimal. The Sumerians used it back in 3500 BC and passed it to the Babylonians and that's why there's 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute and all that poo poo with coordinates and angles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I used to have a Nokia phone with S60 on it and decent 3G and browsed the internet with Opera Mini which was a browser that proxes everything through a filter that converted pages to be readable on mobile phones and that worked surprisingly well for me for a few years.

My family had a RAZR as a backup phone for some reason and every other phone we had was Nokia and it was astonishing to me at the time just how much worse every single part of using the RAZR was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 6, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My main use of incognito mode is avoiding youtube making this topic a thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah when I started on the computer I started with caps-lock, shift doesn't really work well until you have the hang of where most letters are instinctively

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But why.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

POSIWID. The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

Is this an existing concept? Or did you just invent it?

It's a pretty well known dictum in systems planning.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've noticeably tried to get voter fraud to take off as a hot-button issue in Australia a few times and completely failed. But Australia's an extremely different environment to most of the western world when it comes to voting and perceptions of it due to compulsory voting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 14, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Vocode is just electron garbage that shouldn't exist in the first place. Why they made it at all I've no idea instead of just making a lite version of VS without all the IDE tools

VSCode is great. The fact it's electron shouldn't be held against it when it's actually a good electron app, although they've had to write a whole bunch of custom code into the electron framework itself to make it as snappy as it is.

VS is so overwrought and huge that it would be impossible to strip it back to something light and responsive, so you'd need to start from scratch anyway. And using electron has been a strong enabler of the extreme extensibility that is a major pro of VS Code.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 15, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My parents tried to have me hook up their sound system and we wanted to make it so that we could have it so that things went to the sound outside but amps these days being designed to stop splitting and encrypted audio streams and all that made it near impossible and all this digital lockdown of audio just making it impossible to have a slightly custom sound system without spending a billion dollars made me so angry. It's blatantly these days more about wanting to lock you into buying all compatible systems since nobody is going to be pirating things like this.

In the end I could've maybe done something with the final speaker outputs but then I would've needed more knowledge about electrical engineering and mechanics of amplification and resistances and some secondary amplifiers and I kinda just gave up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

What kind of poo poo are you using? Schiit for one still makes dumb power amps in the three figure range and I am sure there are others too.

I was working mostly with what I had.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

euphronius posted:

Google wasn’t even good in terms of accuracy it was easy to use, looked nice and had no or minor ads (lol)

That's some revisionism, Google obliterated all the other search engines when came out in terms of useful results. It wasn't the UI that gave it near 100% market share overnight. It was genuinely revolutionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Original_Z posted:

I wonder how much longer until hardware becomes locked at a subscription. Buy that new microwave and washing machine for only $30 a month! Now everyone can own appliances, sure you'll spend more in the long run, but in the short term it's so affordable! Once you subscription lapses the machine stops working and bills you a huge cancellation fee and you also have to pay for the cost of courier to come pick it up!

They just do this by locking 90% of the features behind a subscription and making it not worth running without paying.