Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ALL food is worse now. EVERY supplier is using the lovely stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm pretty sure I could fill this thread will the rapidly decaying state of Microsoft Software. Windows, Outlook, loving Excel are all just circling the drain. It makes me laugh that Dynamics is also just seeing stupid changes too.

I would go ahead and say that from a combination of capitalism and covid, ALL software that existed pre-2020 is on its way into the toilet

(due to staffing changes, for-profit mentality, and AI cost-savings)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I would love to hear from developers actually working on stuff like the food delivery apps on how the process unfolds for deciding on UI redesigns

it's called MVP

minimally viable product

it was never meant to be good

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The Grimace posted:

Echoing this, Lays Stax are way better than Pringles and are usually 20 cents cheaper here. The more prominent "snap" they have when breaking in your mouth is heavenly. :allears:

Lays Stax have the flavor on the inside of the concave so you can imbibe with impunity and I have written 14 books about how the way Pringles does the complete opposite is essentially a war crime

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dont worry everyone the metaverse w

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The new Google Home is truly awful. I can no longer use any of the widgets I had set up in its predecessor. D-

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you know im sure god is porbably a pacifist which means i can probably kick their rear end

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i was in the grocery store the other day and every single bag of iceberg or romaine lettuce was wilty, there were like 20 tomatoes total, and the hot dog buns i picked in the insanely crowded aisle turned out to be over 2 weeks out of date and seriously hosed up looking when i got to the cash register

this is a fairly bougie area, and my grocery store is a Kroger offshoot, and it's been like this for like 3 years now. I understood during COVID but what the gently caress is going on that I have to go to whole foods just to buy lettuce reliably

US Agriculture + Trade has spent the last 50+ years building a network of commerce for food. Most of the food you eat is not grown in America. Why? An excuse to trade.
As a result, US farms have dedicated so much of their operations to foreign interests -- Soy Beans, Canola, Castor, Corn, etc. So much so that things such as Lettuce are in basically non-existent growth supply for national markets.

Can we blame covid and globalization? Kind of. Covid forced major every government to start thinking about its own people foremost. It's hardly a mystery why a country might shift its food production so that its o own citizens benefit primarily.

Can we blame capitalism? 100%. As countries production powers for domestic supply weaken (such as the United States' existing obligations to places like China) they are left with the choices: Make less profit, or make less profit AND also restructure your operations to meet a much-less-profitable domestic need.

Capitalism means that no farmer will take EITHER option.

Hence we have no lettuce.
But there are plenty of soy beans if you need those.

edit: Just kidding, you can't buy them, they're earmarked for international markets.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

It's kind of the opposite story of this thread but how the gently caress did Anker become who they are. Feels like they wished it from a genie or something.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Most people both don't use and actively hate keyboard + mouse setups. It is inevitable that any and every UI will continue to trend to tablet-friendly streamlines.
We, the interpret and nerdy pioneers, suffer.

Many of here probably type, like, 100wpm or more. We're practiced and experienced with it.

Kids these days type like your parents did. 40-50wpm disasters. They did not grow up playing Quake.

This will dramatically change everything about how the internet is used. For a lot of people, it'll seem better. For us, it'll suck ridiculous donkey poo poo.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 9, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

erosion posted:

"Report spam and unsubscribe?"

That's a really good idea Gmail, let's make sure this scammer knows they have a live email address.

If it helps at all, your email is probably known to like, hundreds or possibly thousands of scam lists. There are millions of scam messages going out every hour. The people who run these scams are basically full business enterprises, with multiple staff, multiple offices, and multiple redundancies. One positive email ping means nothing.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

A/B testing was a thing people did before covid. Now you just push commit at 4:55pm and go home.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

I've got a lump under the skin on my arm that wasn't there at the beginning of the year. Started out as a soreness and gradually got bigger

That happened to me. It went away eventually. Thank you for mentioning it!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

T-Shirts all suck now. I know I've put on weight, but this isn't about my misguided attempts to still try and fit into a large shirt when I almost certainly need an XL and then getting mad it doesn't fit around the middle. No, this is about the sleeves.

It seems like ~10 years ago, all the t-shirt manufacturers got together and decided to make the sleeves REALLY short. Like, it doesn't matter if you get a M, L, or XL...the sleeves are all going to be the same length, and that length is "your armpit hair pokes out if you raise your arms."

WTF? I don't want ones that go to my elbow, or anything, but it seems any new shirt I buy, the sleeves are just too drat short (especially the inner seem , so you get shirts where the hem line is at a very odd angle.)

buy 'athletic' t-shirts instead they have long sleeves still also they are usually moisture-wicking so they dry sweat quickly
you are welcome :)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

helps if you spell February correctly

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hmm maybe it's easier to just get rid of February.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

They deliberately pick the bad produce and expiring items for curbside + delivery orders because even if only half of people claim a refund it's a lot cheaper than throwing it out.

Grocery Store Profits.txt

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

huh

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

we grew up with sailor MOON and the power of FRIENDSHIP

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Private Equity is one of the worst things that can happen to a business.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Buce posted:

this been said before but it's infuriating how youtube recommends rightwing/fascist bullshit no matter how often you block the channels and try in vain to coach the algorithm. just a loving joke

Mine definitely does not do this and is mostly filled with David Letterman episodes from the 1980s

could be either:
1) Regional settings for Americans
2) If you watch any 'news' on youtube it probably assumes you have brainworms and starts showing other political crap

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

thats cause theyre losing market share to slack, which now has video conferencing and is better than zoom in pretty much every single way for internal meetings

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

One time someone in production screwed up and the entire game had no announcers, commercials, or graphics and was just baseball + the sound of the stadium and it was the best game I have ever watched in my life.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ISPs don't give a gently caress about ad revenue. Follow the money.

edit: AOL might, I guess.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hearing aids got really really really really really really really really really really good over the last 30 years

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dentistry, being a scam, has not

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

love my immigrant coworkers explaining that dentistry in their home country costs like $15 and uses medically-standard painkillers that western medicine has pretty much outright banned because of the opioid crisis

and here it costs $1500 and still leaves you in pain

no idea where the truth is but gently caress dentists

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

When there is a still-a-stranger outdoor car being friendly I have found that it is almost always a power thing, insofar as there is usually a second cat around too. Watching.

Is the friendly cat posturing over the second cat by claiming the human? Is it showing off its bravado and guile? Is it emboldened by the fact it has overwatch? Does it just want lasagna?
I don't know the answer -- but I do know that my 2-cat theory has proven itself more than it hasn't.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

they call me 3.5mm jack cause of my

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is basically what I live my life by.

People will make it sound like it's some super hard forbidden art or some poo poo, but with modest computer literacy and a willingness to click on the second result in a google search will go a long, long ways to this end. It's not that hard unless you are willing to trade away literally everything at the door for 'convenience'.

today I didn't have my phone and I needed to find a post office. my loving god it was like being in the dark age.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The volume differential on YouTube between ads and video is like 2:1, goddamn

ahh just like tv.

at what point do people who willingly go into advertising get treated for the scumsucking human poo poo that they really are?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

retro bowl rules

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Welp, YouTube seems to have finally defeated my ad blocker. I'm seeing commercials for the first time in forever.

They're starting to directly stream ads packaged with videos. Ad blockers could theoretically detect this and "fast forward" you or something but for all intents and purposes it'll appear the same as any other video and will be unblockable.

Youtube is rolling this out slowly so they avoid too much backlash about it.

ergo we need a new youtube.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*mom from the waterboy voice*

internet ads are the devil!!!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

You can make your own tv. Buy a caseless screen, speakers, all the components. Hook it up to a raspberry pi or something.

Surely some artisan is making and selling these already.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Do not loving blockchain / NFT image hosting websites, jesus christ.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

I would love to have a daily physical media product delivered to my house in the morning with an easy to read and edited summary of the previous days sports and political events along with curated listings of upcoming local events

same but just milk, fresh milk

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hotels all suck, shouldn't they want my business? $300/night rooms and $24 glasses of milk, get the gently caress out of here.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Koburn posted:

If the poors don't have any money to spend how do companies that sell goods and services not go under?

They will.
Some will shift to international markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

people really hate time pressure even though i have yet to see one where the pressure / time is actually short.

Half Minute Hero O_o