Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

credburn posted:

Your Costco has a self-checkout? That sounds horrible. How does that even work? Doesn't one go to Costco to buy hundreds of things at a time?

No you go to Costco to buy a dozen packages of 100 things apiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Triikan posted:

Also, this isn't the Costco thread, which is a thing that exists for some reason

On topic for both threads is that Costco got rid of the diced onions for the $1.50 hot dogs

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Please tell me where to find the grocery store where the cashiers aren't required to pretend they care how my day is going, so that I can shop there.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
59 oz half gallon, also gently caress the poor

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Triikan posted:

They're not redefining anything. They just now sell a carton of milk that is 59 ounces. As long as it's labelled as such, perfectly legal. lovely for no good reason, but legal.

I haven't seen it in milk, but most of the ice cream containers are now slightly less than the typical size. "Pint" ice cream is normally 15 ounces for example.

"Half gallons" of ice cream have been 1.5 qt for a while

I've been to bars that have 12 and 14 oz "pints" and they actually call them pints instead of relying on the historical/colloquial understanding of size to mislead without technically lying to you.

"It's just a term for a glass of beer" --an actual thing said to me with a straight face

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

teen witch posted:

If there are any for iOS Safari I’m all ears

I don't know anything about iPhone but if you install a pihole at home it will at least block everything while you're connected to wifi

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

credburn posted:

I hate when I go to select my country and can't loving find it because I was looking in the Us and for my convenience they put USA at the very top instead

Nah this is awesome. Why would you look in the Us if it was already up there at the top?

British Airways has UK first, USA second, followed by Afghanistan Algeria Andorra etc, which I find amusing. Suck it, continental Europe.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

holefoods posted:

A lot of kirkland stuff sucks but costco diehards are so committed they won’t admit it

Kirkland is rarely the best stuff you can get but it's usually 80th percentile quality for 40th percentile price

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Hitlertunes gets a bad rap but they technically re-christened the service so that it's named after Dr. Gay Hitler now, and they no longer have the partnership with Stormfront.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Perfect way to make money as a time traveler though, start subscription services. There was absolutely enough technology in the 1890's to start a subscription service for men's shirts, it's just no one was lovely enough to come up with the idea.

Subscription services only work because of electronic banking with automatically recurring charges. Nobody's going to forget to cancel their shirt subscription when they have to consciously go pay for it every month.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

fishing with the fam posted:

You can fill an entire thread with all the ways in which air travel loving sucks.

Air travel sucks because no one will pay a price premium to fly on airlines that prioritize customer experience.

For decades, every time an airline has done something customer-hostile in order to reduce ticket price, the end result has been selling more tickets. When Virgin America or whoever tries to buck the trend and sell a premium experience, they go bankrupt instead.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Preoptopus posted:

I dno Ryanair in Europe is basically like riding on an uncomfortable city bus but tickets are like legit 20 bucks and you can literally take a 3 day weekend vacation anywhere within the eu and spend money on comfy hotels and nice restaurants instead of air travel so it's totally worth it.

This is sort of what I'm getting at. Airlines have succeeded in meeting the desires of their customers, which is to have the cheapest ticket possible regardless of how lovely the experience is. This is reflected in the fact that air travel is cheaper and more accessible than it has ever been, if you're flying economy. And they have also succeeded in meeting the desires of people who are willing to pay for the experience to not suck, because first/business/premium economy classes are all generally much more comfortable and come with more amenities than they ever have. There is a very limited customer pool for airlines that try to service a middle-road customer that is willing to pay a little bit more for a little bit better experience.

Using the 787 as an example since I'm posting from one right now. When the 787 was first introduced, most airlines configured their economy cabins with 8 seats per row, letting them fit the widest (~18.5") economy seats in the industry. Pretty shortly afterward a few airlines figured out that they could instead put a 17 inch seat in the plane and fit one more seat per row. So they increased the number of seats by 12%, undercut everybody that was still in an 8-across configuration, and ended up with basically all the bookings despite the terrible uncomfortable seats because anybody that's booking economy doesn't give a poo poo how awful the experience is, they just want the cheapest flight possible. Over the next few years, every other airline followed suit because nobody would pay the higher ticket prices on the airlines with the better economy product. So economy has gotten more unpleasant, but it's not for no reason, and it arguably hasn't "gotten worse" since the #1 factor that customers desire is cheaper tickets, and the tickets have gotten cheaper.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
USB-C is awesome for moving the laptop between docks, dock compatibility with multiple laptops, and not having to carry a charger in your laptop bag

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

euphronius posted:

That’s how o would interpret it

I would also interpret it to mean “within the expected lifetime of the product” . But not “we will place it once”. That’s basically buy one get one free.

Basically every company that has ever had a customer-friendly return policy has had to change it because of jackasses abusing the poo poo out of it. My favorites were people picking up piles of LL Bean stuff at thrift stores and then swapping it in bulk for brand new stuff, and Costco telling people they will no longer accept live Christmas tree returns after Christmas.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

You Are A Elf posted:

I just checked and:

Imagine being the largest retailer in the US with thousands of locations across the map for decades and being reduced to 11 stores in 2023 instead of just… going out of business for good.

Their partner Kmart isn’t any better:

Just… why?

Fun fact, Kmart absolutely dominates the retail market in Guam. They have this gigantic superstore that is THE place to get anything and is packed all the time.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

tbh I'm not sure I believe the idea that suddenly abuse of the policy spiked and it got taken away bc 'people can't have nice things'.

Social media and the increased speed of information sharing have definitely created an environment that makes it easier for a few abusers to rapidly turn into lots and lots of abusers

Like when the $1 coin was introduced, the mint would sell you coins at actual value with no shipping fee and no credit card fee. A handful of people turned it into a money printing machine using credit card points, but not that many, and it lasted a couple years before being shut down. If that happened now, it would get posted on /r/churning 5 minutes after it went live and have 100,000 people buying coins on their Amex on the same day.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Not sure what response would have been any more useful given the missing information regarding what OS or browser are being used.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

evobatman posted:

I tried the "new" Outlook. My task list went from 5-8 lines of 12 pt font to taking up my entire vertical screen height.

I actually really like the new outlook if and only if you have a portrait-orientation monitor to put it on

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The fact that the prepaid debit card is an Amex is irrelevant to the anecdote; Visa prepaid debit cards are just as janky to try to cash out. This is why scammers are always asking people to pay with iTunes gift cards instead of debit cards with actual money on them.

The random stores that don't take Amex at all are rare at this point, largely because all the small businesses that used to refuse to take it use Square now. I have a Visa in my wallet for Costco, but I only use it for something else like once a year.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
For a while I worked adjacent to some people whose corporate card was Diner's Club, which, lmao

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I'm sure there's legitimate examples of Airbnbs with absurd rules but I've stayed in probably 100+ different ones and never been asked to do more than wash the dishes that I use, take the trash out, and start a load in the washing machine. So yeah "chores", but a small price to pay for having a full kitchen and in-unit laundry.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Podcasts are a scourge. Yeah let me waste a whole hour listening to some dipshit instead of reading for 5 minutes. Their only redeeming characteristic is that you have to deliberately seek them out, unlike when you're trying to read an article and instead there's a loving video.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Laserface posted:

would be nice if Apple (because Google/Android never will) forced devs to include granularity in their notification settings. sick of delivery apps and Uber spamming me because they noticed I havent used the app in the last 24hrs. Just tell me when my food/ride is arriving and nothing else.

now I have to have notifications entirely disabled on those apps and constantly check them for updates when Im actually using them.

Android does this. Long-press the notification and then press the gear icon.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Beartaco posted:

Anyone who gives a poo poo about Elon Musk deserves to be trolled by the mods. These forums got shittier because of the weird celebrity worship that surrounds him.

Every God drat thread for like a year there was just "where's Elon Musk?" "what's elon musk up to?" "You won't believe what Elon Musk posted today!"

It makes sense that goons love Musk since he's basically what you'd get if Lowtax was alive and a billionaire.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Steam updated itself and now the window can't be moved from the center of my primary monitor, and it's displaying a big banner that it will refuse to run on Windows 7 after January 1.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Time_pants posted:

Every major sport in the entire country, year-round.

The only league that blacks out based on stadium attendance is the NFL, and only when the game is on over-the-air TV. The other leagues' blackouts are because they have sold exclusive broadcast rights to some other broadcaster; e.g. you can't watch the Mariners on MLB.tv if you live in Washington, because the Root Sports cable channel carries all the games exclusively in the state.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
This is as good a time as any to remind people that AccuWeather's business model is to take the freely available National Weather Service forecasts, repackage them, and charge for them, and that they have repeatedly lobbied Congress to make it illegal for the National Weather Service to provide free forecasts to the public.

Don't use AccuWeather

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I once worked for a company where the marketing director refused to believe that around half of the customers in our database had opted out of marketing information. He demanded that I 'accidentally' opt everyone in and if there was any backlash then to blame it on a computer glitch. I refused, because not only is that illegal in the UK but I was the registered data protection officer for the company, meaning I personally would be on the hook.

I quit a few months later, then found out they made my replacement do it. They received absolutely fuckloads of complaints, primarily because their customer base is entirely retirees, and it turns out people get very upset when they receive marketing addressed to their dead spouse when they specifically asked you to stop.

It's absolutely blowing my mind that fully half of the people receiving marketing emails continue to receive them when they have the option to stop.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

teen witch posted:

I am buying plane tickets and so help me god, first up against the wall

Not even the costs! Though what the gently caress!

In what world is a computer recommending a 40m layover as anything remotely possible outside of a regional puddle jumper type flight.

In short:
https://youtu.be/PNqS8ZPvthQ

Airlines publish minimum connection times at each airport they have connections in, they assume on-time arrival, worst-case arrival gate and departure gate without an airline change, and an able-bodied adult that can walk briskly but doesn't have to run. They're generally pretty accurate since the airline doesn't want to fly your flight with your seat empty--I've been within 10 minutes of MCT at least 50 times and never missed a connection when I arrived on time. Most big hubs have a 35 or 40 minute MCT.

Anyway, if it's the best itinerary for you, you should get it unless you have kids or mobility issues. It doesn't take nearly as long to empty a plane out as it feels like, and the published arrival/departure times are when the boarding door opens/closes, not when the plane lands or takes off. The only airports I can think of that I wouldn't do a 40 minute connection are Dulles and Heathrow.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 18, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I think I'd prefer 2019 to 1999 if I was anything other than a straight male

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LividLiquid posted:

I change my wallpaper to a new piece of scenery every month, corresponding to the weather and season.

I used to use Google image search for this, but now most of the results are loving licensable stock photos.

The enshittification of everything reaches all things eventually and always, always, always stems from some rich rear end in a top hat with more money than god never being satisfied.

They will burn this world to the ground if it means they get the high score on this Galaga machine so they can smile for one fifth of one second before realizing they're still not happy.

Flickr is has been dead for as long as this forum but has lots of great high res landscape photos (if you wade through the dreck) and lets you specifically search for results that are released under a creative commons license

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

maxwellhill posted:

Assumes you have Windows. On Ubuntu, even when you pick the trust notification, the phone will never mount at all if it's your first attempt at plugging it in, until you unplug it and start over :downs: Good luck figuring that one out when you're in a hurry

Nobody running Linux is going to be unable to figure out how to get files off of a phone.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Wifi Toilet posted:

Probably, but they figured out how to make money playing video games which my generation wasn’t able to crack.

Gen Z is making money playing video games. The oldest Gen Alphers are preteens.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Intuit: "Hey we're making TurboTax suck even worse poo poo than before. Deal with it or spend 12 hours filling out paper forms, you stupid gently caress."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

withak posted:

Use freetaxusa.com (not a scam) instead.

That site only works if your taxes are pretty straightforward unfortunately.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

DicktheCat posted:

The default calendar app on android has started making GBS threads the bed and I'm not here for it. I already wasn't happy with it- I take a shot every 5 days instead of once a week, and the app simply doesn't have the option to set a recurring reminder like that. It's a computer, why should it have this limitation, I don't know.

Create new event or task -> click where it says "do not repeat" -> custom -> every 5 days

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
It's unreasonable to expect YouTube to provide its services at a loss, but there's also nothing on YouTube worth watching an ad for. Hopefully the whole site falls into the Myspace-Digg Memorial Hole of Obscurity.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Sentient Data posted:

Weekly grocery ad called out the butter sale as being valid on 16oz and 13oz sizes, so that's apparently next as they run through stock

This is going to be so annoying for baking.

"Add two and 6/13ths sticks of softened butter"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Cars reached their apogee in like 2009 where they had all the modern safety features and ease of use but they didn't have touch screen entertainment systems, just bluetooth and an aux port

Cars in 2009 had basically none of the modern safety or ease of use features. Blind spot monitor, cross-traffic warning, pedestrian detection, all no. Lane keeping and auto braking, also no. Lane departure warning and obstacle detection, maybe, barely, on high end luxury cars only, and it was dogshit. No android auto/car play, no voice commands. Suction cup a TomTom to your windshield and plug it into the cigarette lighter to navigate anywhere.

Old cars suck poo poo. Get something that drives itself and you will never go back. If you hate cars that don't have physical buttons for important stuff, get a Mazda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrQwerty posted:

cars can't drive themselves and this is magical thinking that leads to dangerous complacency hth

Sorry about your old lovely car, try not to kill anyone while you operate it without the benefit of sensors that can see beyond the limits of human perception and control systems that can react a million timea faster than a person.