Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I remember touring a late 1600s/early 1700s farmhouse once and being shown the utensils made from cow horn, after it was heated and shaped. We were told it was the plastic of colonial times. Can't we just go back to that?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Jelly posted:

It's hilarious that for music in your car it was easier to play music off your CD player using one of those tape deck adapters 20 years ago than it is now

Like they made it so you can put your entire music collection on a device the size of a credit card but then completely hosed up any level of compatibility between that and any vehicle that doesn't have built in bluetooth capability

I have to buy a bluetooth adapter or a USB-C splitter and the sound quality is poo poo either way, the easiest thing to do is just make sure my phone is totally charged when I leave for a hopefully short road trip or just listen on my bluetooth headphones which is not legal in many states

Thumb drive? I've been using one successfully on my last 2 cars.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Atopian posted:

Did someone say "Baltimore traffic" yet?

It was already worse this morning. But not for no reason.

I test drove a new Camaro a few years ago and it was like driving a tank, visibility was awful.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

You know what else is cool? Daycare is $1700 a month for our youngest.

I had 3 in daycare last year. It's ridiculous. Since 2018, for what I've paid in daycare I could've bought a brand new Corvette. The bill last year was close to twice our mortgage payment.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

morothar posted:

When we lived in Denver, we decided not to put our infant into daycare, as the additional $1,700 were so
mething we could technically afford, but it would have eliminated most of our monthly buffer.
Also, daycare was 8am to 3pm only, the place closed for any reason or no reason at all, and we had to bring food.

I’m a VP in a multi-billion company, and we couldn’t comfortably afford two kids in daycare in the US.

Now after relocating to the Midwest? $2,200 for both kids, 7am-6pm, including catering, and the place never closes except in case of nuclear war? Yeah, much more manageable.

In Maryland, last year our bill before discounts would've been $4200 a month, for 3. And that's really not that bad, considering there are other daycares in the area that charge more.

His Divine Shadow posted:

My sister has three kids and her oldest son are getting his first kid this april. I have two kids. We just met a friend who is on her 4th kid.

But I'm in Finland and the rest of the country sure isn't following suit. And we're clamping down on immigration to boot.

Birth rates are dropping despite universal healthcare and daycare being free for the poorest and a few hundred at worst (goes by income).

Or just go to an elementary school during pickup/dropoff time to see all the siblings attending the same school. Or go to a little league practice and you'll run into plenty of people with 2, 3, 4 kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wish automatic lights would become standard trim already. JFC I see a lot of people drive around without lights at night

My last car(s trim) didn't have auto headlights, but it had all the equipment for it and knew when they were supposed to be on, and the car would actually trick you into turning them on. The backlighting on the Instrument panel is tied to the headlights, so when it starts getting dark you wouldn't be able to see how fast you were going unless you turn your lights on.