Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

I made the mistake of connecting my TV to wifi when I got it because I wanted to watch netflix on it instead of using a proper device. Since the last update it now pops up with a huge box on the screen every 5 minutes saying that the wifi connection dropped (I have no idea why, no other devices have a problem). If I turn off wifi by telling it to forget the connection, I get a box popping up every 5 minutes telling me I need to connect it to wifi to receive important updates.

It is two months out of warranty. Gonna try a factory reset and hopefully it'll revert to the original firmware, otherwise I guess I need to buy a new TV (and will do my usual trick of selling electronics that are perfectly functional for a few minutes before becoming unusable to CeX)

My parents got SmartTVs and they're barely computer literate so they struggle with basics like switching inputs or sometimes just turning the thing on. I hate watching TV when I visit them because if I use it and then my dad can't figure out how to turn it on or something I get yelled at for breaking the TV because my dad is a huge immature baby.

Then again, not too long ago they got a brand new TV for the bedroom I was staying in over Thanksgiving and after I used it once it never turned on again and it was in fact broken. It was one of those giant Samsung SmartTVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I had a fail moment with my blu ray player the other night. See I haven't used it in years because physical media is now archaic, but the Internet was out for like a good 12 hours so I thought I'd watch a DVD. Couldn't find the remote, so I thought well I will just put it in and press play. Nope. Needed to set the language because it was unplugged. Impossible without a remote.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

My dad knew just enough to stretch every single thing to fullscreen regardless of the intended aspect ratio. He passed away a couple of years ago, and one night when I stayed with my mum I was watching something and turned off the stretching. She hasn't noticed so far (she calls me about everything technical she doesn't understand, so I know she would've called me if she thought something was wrong with the TV). I loved my dad and miss him immensely, but it drove me nuts watching anything that wasn't 16:9. Dude didn't like the black bars, even though it made everything weirdly fat/thin depending on how it was being stretched.

My dad also does this with this giant 20 year old TV he still has. Doesn't even have an HDMI input. When we watch football, the scores will be cut off depending on the channel and you'll miss anything that occurs off frame and my dad will just act dumbfounded "I CAN'T TELL WHAT'S GOING ON."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Another thing that always irritates me is autodetect. If I turn my TV on before I turn on any of the the devices connected to it, it just slowly goes through every input and there's this annoying lag trying to get it back to the correct one. On some TVs trying to do anything manually when autodetect isn't working is a loving project.

I complain about my dad here, but I'm turning into him, I can see it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

THE PICTURE IS TOO SMALL YOU BROKE THE TV

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Apart from all the instances of it actually not being cheaper to buy the ingredients, the caveat to cheaper to make yourself is you need the time and knowledge to turn those ingredients into several recipes. If you're cooking for a family with children in particular trying to get creative with all kohlrabi and squash you end up with from the CSA isn't practical.

I love cooking and I usually don't waste too many ingredients, but I usually end up having to buy more ingredients to make the next recipe with the leftover ingredients. If you want it to be cheaper, you have to either try hard or limit yourself to mediocre meals. If I want to be cheap, I can make black eyed peas, kale, and pork in the crockpot with enough to eat for like a week but who wants to eat that for a whole week?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Miami Dolphins

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Southern Cassowary posted:

i don't think i remember ever being recommended weird right-wing poo poo and like, i watch a ton of bass fishing videos and guys upgrading cars

I also like bass fishing and cars and I never get anything like that on Youtube. On the other hand, Facebook is always giving me gun nut posts and really really angry right wing posts about hating EVs. I mean these guys are ready to commit a hate crime because people drive Teslas.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Miss the days when you could play a game offline and not have to download the new 8gb update to play it if I didn't want to.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't use Steam although I have a gift card that I need to spend on it. I have GOG and Game Pass. I was actually playing Forza the other day and my Internet went out and the game kicked me out of the race I was in and said nothing would be saved because I was offline. I was like god drat, I'm playing single player.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

It should be straight up illegal for a company to force you to call to cancel a service. Literally everything with a recurring payment should be required to have a one step cancellation button on their site.

One of many reasons I hate Spectrum. I can log on and buy equipment and services with a click, but if I want to cancel something or even ask about a charge on the bill I have to call in and then they make me prove I own the account by asking for my social security number.

It can take up to an hour if you don't just stay firm. If you waffle or give them an inch you're loving up. They never let you just cancel the service up front. If you complain they'll try to talk you out of it, if you say you're getting another service that's another sales pitch, or if you say you just can't afford it they'll try to offer you a deal that will cost more in six months. You just have to be a dick and repeat "I want to cancel. Cancel my service" and not deviate from that and then they usually get pissed at you, but that's just how it has to be.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Online payment systems can suck too. My state DMV has an online system that is almost useless. You have to go into a chat with a bot and type in the correct keywords and 90% of the time it doesn't work because you have to pay for something else first and you have to call to do that, the chatbot can't handle it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the oil/plastics companies marketed recycling just to get us to buy more plastics. remember how captain planet told us to recycle? well he was a tool of the capitalist plunderers.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I visited the Ford website a few months ago because I was checking out Mustangs for the hell of it and ever since then every time I log on to Facebook there's a new post about a Tesla that broke down followed my hundreds of hooting and hollering comments about how awful EVs are, liberals are ruining the world, real men don't drive Teslas, I'll shoot you if you cut me off in an EV, etc.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

i thought that's just how facebook was?

yes it's preferred social media platform of that demographic

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Around the time every airline started to charge for checking bags is when air travel really started to suck. There are probably a lot of factors that go into this, but back before that it seemed like a lot less people carried on and getting on and off the plane was a lot quicker because of that. It's also the only reason I can think of as to why people start swarming around the boarding line instead of just waiting for their zone to be called. There's the line and then the line for the line. I don't know why people are so anxious to get on the plane other than making sure they can get overhead space.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Don't get me started on modern vending machines!!!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I used to think air fryers were a gimmick but I got one for Christmas and it's pretty useful. I don't really cook in it unless you count toasting a sandwich or heating something frozen, but it's great for reheating things. Does wonders for leftover fried chicken.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yes just put some olive oil on the bread and set it to 360. About 5 minutes each side. It's a pretty good quality sandwich. I imagine a toaster oven would be more efficient, though.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

When I was young and first starting to really cook recipes from scratch the main thing that made it more expensive was that I might not have any of the ingredients for the recipe that would be basic things like spices or stock or whatever that once you start cooking you almost always have on hand. If I had to buy every single ingredient required for every recipe I make each time I made something, then yes that would be much more expensive.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think the bigger problem with pitching that it's cheaper to cook from scratch is that it's often unfair to the low income people it's directed at who primarily don't have the time, but also might not have access to the same ingredients and have to navigate between all the conflicting advice that's out there about nutrition, plus dealing with kids who might be picky eaters and not having all the expensive appliances and probably a whole bunch of other things that are easy to take for granted. In theory it can be done consistently but it's not always that easy.

It's also similar to a gripe I have against CSAs. I can only do so many things with bok choi and sweet potatoes and whatever else you might end up with. On the other hand, some people really love trying to figure out what to do with all that poo poo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I went to a grocery store that was out of onions the other day. I never even saw such a thing during the pandemic. Not talking about just one kind of specific onion. No white onions, no yellow onions, no red onions, what the heck?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TrashMammal posted:

what the hell is a super fruit anyway? why does that include apparently every berry in existence?

It's just whatever someone is hawking on their website or youtube. Like a guy has raspberries in his backyard so he starts upselling them and calling them Goku berries.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

Sorry, I had come by a few hours earlier, they hadn't had the chance to restock yet

I like to imagine a bunch of stereotypical mafia guys held up the truck and are giving boxes of onions for their neighbors to hold onto "Oh, they just fell off a truck see."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I mostly shop at this Food Lion that's right around the corner because it's so close and they have the worst deli. Just egregiously bad. I don't knkw how you can gently caress up rotisserie chicken so bad. I was looking at one the other day - $8.99 for a a 2lb bird - and it looked so dry the drumsticks looked like bones with jerky wrapped around it. I couldn't even tell if it had skin. I can't even explain. Never seen anything like it. They just don't give a gently caress.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

food lion in general kinda sucks, real poo poo selection

This one isn't bad. It was removated recently. The deli is just terrible even by food lion standards. Last time I got fried chicken there it was so over cooked the skin was off the meat - like it was a hard shell that just surrounded the meat - and the meat was like jerky. I'll never forget it.

hosed me up too. I was watching the Ken Burns "The West" documentary. Now every time I hear that somber music with the Native American chanting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPloBBTw-Q) I'll think of what happ on that day. It started with a terrible rumble as soon as I stoid up. Just a violent explosion as soon as I hit the toilet.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Knobs are not obsolete!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Remulak posted:

TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES
You can get a subset of their programming other places, like Max, but the full channel the streaming service are ONLY available to cable customers. I pay for YouTubeTV JUST for this goddamn channel.

Oh and to record Quincy, which isn't available anyplace streaming without ads. Mark my words kids, Quincy is the next Colombo, only worse and preachier about dumb poo poo.

Aren't they trying to hamstring Turner Classic, though? I thought they fired a bunch of people and limited the library plus might even start adding commercials. Trying to ruin the only good thing on cable.

So many good movies I might not have bothered to try to watch otherwise. La Strada, Dr. Zhivago, Black Legion, Paths to Glory, Omega Man, Logan's Run, Freaks, Badlands - they have a ton of good movies when they're not doing 1940s gangster movies or Fred Astaire musicals.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

All thr vending machines at work suck. The card readers never work and they want exact change. I'm writing a letter to congress.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't think I've ever encountered an influencer in the wild although back in 2000 I remember some kids were trying to do their own jackass thing in the parking lot of a Publix except all they were doing was shoving shopping carts in the way of cars and filming it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Car and truck communities are so obnoxious. Car guys won't shut the gently caress up about how you need a V8 bro and if you point out a tesla is fsster they loving lose it

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm always late to get things. I remember it was like 2007 and I didn't have text messaging for some reason and this girl I was talking to asked me why I didn't respond to her text the previous night and when I asked what was the text she said something like "oh it was something in the moment, it doesn't matter now" I realized I missed a booty call and that's when I started texting.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If you get cold cuts at my grocery store they fold the zip lock portion over the rest of the bag and put the label over it so it's almost impossible to open without ripping the bag. That is also fairly minor but irritates me every time.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ProperCauldron posted:

that's the goal. You rip open the bag, food spoils faster, you gotta buy more food. Helps them clear inventory and secure future sales. That's the type of poo poo I hate about our era.

Like how many snack foods have the OPEN HERE on the reverse side of the nutrition label. It's by design so the consumer immediately ruins the government-mandated part of the product that explains how unhealthy it is.

Those bastards. I just assumed the deli was incompetent. You should see what their chicken looks like. Rotisserie chicken looks like beef jerky. I've never seen such shameful chickens.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

On the topic of the proliferation of smartphones - has anyone noticed younger people struggle at typing? I imagine it depends on what you learned in school. Do schools still have typing/computer classes?

We used to hire interviewers on a contract basis for projects and I'd have to train them. It was a very easy job and only required a high school degree and getting past some very basic training. One thing I noticed with the younger trainees is that, apart from lacking most basic computer skills, most of them wouldn't use the shift key. They'd hit caps lock, type a letter, then hit caps lock again. I was moderately astonished at the time, but I guess that's because of cell phones?

And the lovely education system and the assumption that kids would just absorb computer skills if left to their own devices. The digital divide is still a thing!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think the idea that we'd reach a point where computer skills would just seem natural and that digital literacy would just be a given is another one of those optimistic takes from 20-30 years ago that seems hopelessly naive in retrospect.

Back then there was also this notion that widespread use of the Internet would also spread knowledge and foster enlightenment and lead to a more ideal democratic society lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I learned to type playing MUDs as well as how to woo an elf

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I've been typing like Kermit the Frog since I was 12 and that's why I got all the elfen ladies

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is also how I roll, but at some point in the last year etiquette on I-95 suddenly changed and now people pass on both the far left and far right. It's goddamn infuriating. The next time I'm going 5 over in the rightmost lane and some foreskin wrinkle in a Dodge Challenger flies up my rear end I'm just gonna tap my brakes and get loving paid.

It's extra dangerous because Maryland is inexplicably horny for comically short dual purpose on/offramps. I'm waiting for the day some dude in a Brodozer pulverizes whatever poor sap is trying to merge onto the highway.

This is prettty typical every morning I drive to work, that is, when I don't just decide to work from home. The far left lane will be a line of cars moving 60-70 and you'll always have someone who aggressively tailgates for a while like that's going to make the 100 cars ahead of them go faster before using an opening in the far right lanes to speed up and continue to pass people because there are less cars in that lane because of an exit or whatever. Then a mile later they're back behind again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

I love paying $2 at a vending machine for an Arizona that says on the loving can exactly the opposite of what I paid

I think I've complained about vending machines here already. Now that no one has cash on them anymore they all have card readers, but the card readers are always broken and then if you do have cash you're probably out of luck because they only accept exact change.

Also at my old workplace the way the vending machine billing appears on your card statement was convoluted. Like it would be a $5 hold then $5 reimbursed then another $2.20 charged. Someone actually put up an angry note on one of them saying not to use it because THEY STOLE $5 FROM ME.