Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Salami Surgeon posted:

They changed an intersection near where I live to add a turn lane that no one actually uses, but many people mistake for the lane they want. There are no signs to indicate which lanes are for what.

The city did that to a busy intersection in town years ago when the Walmart moved, in a clumsy manner in which it isn't obvious at all which way goes forward and which ways turn until you're about ten feet from the intersection proper. And their road painting schedule is "whenever we feel like it" so most of the time this path is just a big blank sheet of asphalt where people go pretty much wherever the hell they feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My TCL Roku TV has a clock on the main screen and I can pick several clock themes for the screen saver, but I can't ever recall having a TV with a permanent clock display built in. Maybe a really fancy old 50s-60s wooden cabinet model?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Black Mirror eerily prescient once again. The only real difference between this and the appliance-running cookies in White Christmas is how captive the workers are.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Outrail posted:

We're gonna get the dystopia where everyone is so media saturated they stop being functional people.

The first generation to grow up on smartphones and omnipresent internet hasn't yet reached maturity so yes, technically it's still a future development.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

It's actually wrong in the opposite direction. The Motorola Razr released in 2004 and was the first real "smartphone" most people were exposed to, and it was cheap enough that some people bought them for their kids. Everyone? No, but that's not what's being claimed.

The first people who have had a phone as their main Internet device their whole lives aren't turning 20, they're turning 30.

Yes, and the world's first television station began operating in 1928, but the first generation to grow up with television as a common social experience is widely regarded as the baby boomers. There's always early adopters, but they aren't the ones who define the zeitgeist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Time_pants posted:

That's true, and there was still a surprising amount of flip phones there, also, well into 2013 when I first moved back there. I mean, there were some models you could get that had a little fuckin pull-out TV antenna and tilt the flip part sideways. tap-to-pay RFID technology that was shockingly abundant in terms of places it could be used, such as vending machines. A... passable browser if you didn't mind navigating with a crosspad and the call button. It was nuts the amount of features built into this little fucker I had in 2010. Yeah, you heard what I called you, SoftBank flip phtone, you little bitch. I miss the hell out of you. Return to me, my love. My darling.

Oh my god, me too. A phone with a touchscreen face that I could also flip sideways for access to a physical keyboard and stereo sound whenever I wanted, and a TV antenna that used some kind of crazy parallel analog broadcast from cell towers to get free video on demand? That poo poo was fire.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Houle posted:

Coke started using corn syrup as their sweetener since 1984. New coke was likely a way to make the switch more palatable than it otherwise would have been by giving a really awful product then going back to classic formula.

If you want good coke check out Mexican coke. Still uses cane sugar.

And it still comes in glass bottles! No wonder it tastes so good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's the inevitable trend of anything that gets commercialized and streamlined for broad consumption. Early cars used to come with home repair kits and require aircraft-like starting sequences, now you literally push a button and they don't even have spare tires.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Outrail posted:

Using a spell check isn't giving up to the machines anymore than letting auto pilot drive a plane.

Funny you mentioned autopilot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When fraudulent voting is outlawed only outlaws will be able to fraudulently vote.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Abandon modernity, return to personally-curated website lists

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

That's just not workable for something like a food tracking app. It needs constant labor and infrastructure to stay functional. New Android/Apple update broke something? Engineers have to get up in the morning and fix that. A company added a new product with a new SKU? Someone has to put that into the database. Every food search is backed by a data center that has technicians and engineers and janitors and accountants. So does the chip foundry that's making chips for the data center or the city hospital that provides healthcare for them , etc.

Like, even completely offline software will not stay functional forever. Every Windows update has the potential to break it. Microsoft is dropping support for Windows 10 althougher in 2025, so someone needs to get up and update your bought software to be compatible with Win 11.

This is the kind of poo poo AI should be programmed for, not ruining the concept of search engines.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's called rent-to-own and it's been around for decades.

Tech is going to reinvent it with the internet of things, combining everyone's favorite feature of videogames -- live service/24-7 connectivity -- with everyone's favorite feature of capitalism -- rent seeking*.

*I know that term doesn't typically mean rent in the literal sense, but in this case they're one and the same.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm getting much angrier about the whole situation. Rent and house prices are just insane. I lucked out when I got my house in 2015 and now the price has doubled. But if I sell my house, uh, every other property has doubled as well. And the interest rate is about 5%+ higher than what I'm paying. Renters are hosed. I feel so bad for them. :(

This is my first house and I will die here. If I don't get eminent domained or something. Then I fill it with combustibles, light a match, and go down in a blaze of glory while doing as much damage to the land as possible.

Well, I guess the end result of me dying here is the same.

No way, burning it down just makes their job easier for them. If you get eminent domain'd, poison the gently caress out of it. Find the vilest, most mutagenic, teratogenic and carcinogenic chemicals you can get your hands on and soak the place to the floorboards. All the soil, too. Turn it into a loving superfund site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

Your perspective of what "communism" is seems to be all hosed up on Cold War propaganda.

op: I know people who personally experienced communism and they say it sucks

you: stop falling for propaganda!

lol

Now pull the No True Scotsman Communist State chain

e: this isn't a defense of "no wait landlording is actually hard :qq:" dude, everyone's a sucklord here

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 20, 2024