Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
For some reason the main google.com page now has a bunch of news articles at the bottom of the search window. Whatever, I don't care either way normally, but I've noticed a lot of those news stories are not good. I've been linked to parody news sites which gave me an article title that surprised me so I clicked through (I guess they got me) and it was obviously satire, and scaremongering "if you're a parent you NEED to know about these new iPhone features to protect your kid's safety!!!" nonsense. Like, if it was normal news reports about current events of the day then I could see some value, but what is this poo poo? I even checked news.google.com to see if somehow the algorithm would normally feed me that nonsense and that's where it came from, but no, I just get normal relevant daily news on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Gmail has updated their chat interface yet again for some reason, it had been a few months since the last one. Instead of individual chats and groups being separated, they're now in the same tab which opens up an overcrowded menu and requires scrolling. It's not like the left side of the screen was so cluttered that this was necessary!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every time I think about food delivery apps I remember a Reddit post from 4-5 years ago where someone tallied up their orders at the end of the year and realized they spent $16,000 in food deliveries for one year

Yeah, I remember some thread where someone was making good 6-figure USD and complaining they didn't have any savings, people asked them for budget and they were spending $50-100 daily on Uber Eats.

I don't want to sound like the Avocado Toast meme, but I often see people who complain about how things are rigged and it's impossible to save up anymore and mention elsewhere that they use these food delivery and other services where you pay a disgusting premium. I just don't get it, like it's not hard to just not use these apps, although sometimes I feel like people take pride in that they don't know how to do basic skills anymore.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I was looking at cars the other day, I've always liked Toyota Camries but now apparently a bunch of the functionality is locked behind a stupid app subscription? Are you kidding? Apparently Lexus is the same way, maybe other manufactures too but I didn't check. Things like remote start or using GPS maps you don't just pay a set price now but have to pay a monthly fee. Insanity, and cars are more expensive than ever now!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

skooma512 posted:

App stuff has proven to be pretty ephemeral as it is too. I had a Fitbit in 2015 because work was just giving them out, and by 2021 the hardware was all poo poo and Google bought them and they are being imploded. Less than 7 years and all that poo poo is e-waste now, and usually within 3 years of purchase anyway. There will be weeks when an app just doesn't work. The Taco Bell app was that way for me, just immediate crash, and they didn't fix it for a week. I tried to get my mom a fitness band that was comparable to fitbit, and the biggest brand is Huawei, which is lol is now under embargo in the west and you can't get their app for a product from a year or two ago.

Like nothing about the app store ecosystem is about longevity. Products go in and out all the time, updates just break poo poo, they abandon apps. At least something hardcoded can't have all functionality shaved away when they feel like revenue is lagging.

Yeah, my mate bought some coffee maker with an app and you could only do the most basic of things on the machine itself, setting a timer or whatever required the app. It worked fine until one day the app stopped connecting and it was removed from the app store, the company said they took it down to make 'improvements'. Some other pissed off owners looked into it more and apparently the app developer got fired at some point and then some new OS updates broke something in the app which I guess they didn't know how to fix. I can only imagine the company calling the dev up and asking them to come in and fix it, if it was an old style phone they probably would have been able to hear it slamming down on them. No idea what happened and if a working app came out, my friend gave up and just bought another machine, I think he might have mentioned that they eventually went out of business.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

StormDrain posted:

Doesn't it have a button on the keyfob? Where did you get this info? Looks like older models just click lock twice then hold it and it'll remote start. We just bought at Hyundai with app capable of remote start but the keyfob does the same job.

According to people talking about it online, the keyfob remote start is disabled when the subscription lapses. I'm sure the next step will require a subscription just to do remote door lock/unlock.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Chrome's spellcheck seems so much worse now. Half of the time it just won't underline the word, sometimes it'll show up after a few words have passed but there have been times where it just isn't detected at all. Also, often it doesn't even work right, it'll just not show a word that's close enough (if I'm annoyed, there are times where if I copy and paste the misspelled word into google search it'll immediately fix it for me), or it'll suggest the plural version of a word but not the singular one despite not ending in s. Awful, it worked fine up until like a year ago far as I can remember.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently whenever I search for something on Google I get an annoying popup telling me to give them my location data for better results or some poo poo. It happens almost every time I search for something no matter how many times I deny it. It's very irritating.

Also Chrome updates too drat often, seems like every few days there's a new update. Yeah it's good they're probably getting rid of security flaws and whatever but to log into my work account there's like 5 different steps with different login screens to get all of my pages open so I like to just keep the browser open so it doesn't log me off, it's so annoying when the browser updates and I have to do it all again.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

redshirt posted:

There was a real story some years ago when Amazon pulled legally purchased copies of 1984 from people's Kindles due to a dispute with the publisher. Everyone was refunded, but the idea of a megacorp taking back a book that I had purchased without consent convinced me that I'll never consider an electronic purchase an actual purchase, but just a form of rental.

If I really want to own it, I buy the physical copy.

Also, ask me about my giant library!

To be fair this was a one-off thing that got Amazon such bad press that it's never happened before with their Kindle books as far as I can tell.

Emphasis being on as far as I can tell.

I dunno about Kindle books but it seems to be a problem with their Audible service. It hasn't happened to me, but I've read stories of people noticing a book they bought on Audible is just gone now with no warning or refund. If they ask customer service about it then they'll confirm it was some rights bullshit and give a refund. I guess they just hope you don't notice and if you do it's just a 'whoopsie, sorry about that, here's your money back!'

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Zamujasa posted:

Maybe you should've read the pins first :jerkbag:

(oh, you mean there's 50 pins and none of them actually answer anything and the search doesn't work? well, that's still your fault)

Also, 45 of the most recent pins are stupid-rear end in-jokes and memes that probably should have been unpinned long ago.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I do find it interesting how much delivery food culture has changed us. Just a few years ago we somehow managed without things like Uber Eats, but now people look at you like you're crazy when you suggest that maybe you shouldn't spend your entire paycheck on overpriced food delivery.

Cerekk posted:

No, status has gotten shittier for no reason. Between covid waivers and the premium credit card explosion and airlines getting better at predicting the perfect price point to maximize monetization of first class, the only thing status gets you now is a spot at #38 on the upgrade list for one open seat.

They've also become super stingy with airport lounge access too unless you pay up for the highest level credit card which keeps having its fees increased every few years. The funny thing is that if you're on a different airline alliance you're allowed to use them if you have status due to alliance rules, it's only for the people who have status on USA-based airlines that get screwed with lounge access.

Along with miles become worthless, they also keep making it harder and harder to get status. I'm a longtime Delta flyer and now they only care about how much money you spend on the airline, you can't get it by just taking flights anymore.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently all of the Youtube embeds on websites have been autoplaying for me and it's absolutely awful. I'll go to a new page on a thread here and immediately the video plays and I hear the sound. The video isn't even in view, if it's anywhere on the page it will autoplay. This is happening on other sites too so it's not an issue with the forums. I can't figure out how to disable it and it's driving me mad, the only thing I can do is disable embeds on the forum but that doesn't help for other sites.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
For refrigerators, Sharp makes some good ones that'll last awhile. They also make good-quality professional TVs that don't have the kind of bloat poo poo that everyone here keeps complaining about.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I always assume any product hawked by youtubers/podcasters/influencer is of mediocre or poor quality. For as much as they talk about "cutting out the middleman and giving you the high quality without markup!" they sure spend a lot of money on advertising.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I wonder how much longer until hardware becomes locked at a subscription. Buy that new microwave and washing machine for only $30 a month! Now everyone can own appliances, sure you'll spend more in the long run, but in the short term it's so affordable! Once you subscription lapses the machine stops working and bills you a huge cancellation fee and you also have to pay for the cost of courier to come pick it up!

You all know it's gonna happen eventually, we keep paying for subscriptions, even when they raise prices and make them worse companies continue to report growth and record profits. You know every industry wants to get a piece of the action.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's called rent-to-own and it's been around for decades.

Yes, but in the future the 'own' part will be taken away! Pay forever or they'll disable the functionality or take it away at your expense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

The Moon Monster posted:

I could afford to buy a house now. Not sure if it's a worse move to do it or not to do it. That said I was legitimately a lot better positioned to buy one 12 years ago when I had less than 1/3 the income and no savings.

Yeah, I'm very conflicted. Prices keep going up and surely they have to crash, but I thought they were expensive before and the neighborhoods we're looking at have like doubled in the past few years, what the hell. Then when they raised the mortgate rates I was like well ok now it should go down and this will be the time to buy, but somehow prices are going even higher.

Oh, I'm sure the answer is that I'll buy right before the bubble bursts and I overpay for 4x for it, although who knows, maybe in a few years the current price will be a bargain.