Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Elden Ring is FromSoftware's most recent large release and the game outsizes any of the "Soulsborne" games they put out before it. Featuring a massive open world and similarly punishing difficulty to what it succeeds, there's chance to die basically everywhere. For the most part, you're an unwanted rando who showed up one day to attempt to usurp the right to rule and 99% of the world wants you dead.

So I'm playing the game by deleting my character when they die.

Also I'm not that good at the game.

Why?

I like ironman runs sometimes. Also my favorite part with this game was just the emergent experience of the first playthrough, so this is the closest I can get to that again on console. Will we witness anyone get even a whiff of Leyndell? Will a character ever be within reach of becoming Elden Lord?

Hopefully there will be fun uncovered in just taking things slow and preparing carefully as well. That is, rather than playing in the usual method of berserking in with infinite lives at your disposal.

Also it's just plain ridiculous to do this for such a hard game, so it's kinda funny anyways.

How?

With your help! Because I like votes.

...Namely to make me characters to play, and also to define how to play them. That keeps it kinda fun, and makes each attempt at least a little different.

This will be done in commentated VLP, (usually during, sometimes post), with a casual update schedule. "Casual" meaning "whenever I feel like it." I might get experimental later, who knows?
I already do too many other LPs, this idea was just stuck on my brain and wouldn't go away. It's not nearly as serious a project as my SSLP work, but it's a little something I've wanted to do for a while. So heck with it, :justpost:

I probably won't beat the game anyways, this'll just be fun to see how far I can get before our inevitable death and eventual burn out. If I do somehow beat the game, then I guess the LP's over? I'll likely burn out some point before then.

I've beaten the game before, and spoilers are open territory. I'll try to keep my commentary focused and not too spoilery myself, but I will be planning ahead and mostly running off of knowledge gained in my first full playthrough and other characters. As I expect that many lives will end prematurely, I won't be spending a lot of time combing the map like a normal LP might, but I won't be speedrunning the game either.

The thread itself is open for spoiler talk, but you don't have to know anything about Elden Ring to vote.

Rules for the Run?

Outside of this, the rules are pretty simple. If the game says YOU DIED, then that's it.
(So the Church of Anticipation doesn't count, basically. The Volcano Manor teleport to be ruled on later, though being there is a death sentence anyways.)

Quit-outs: No
Glitches: No
Horse: Yes
Ashes & Summons: Yes, unless "Honorable" playstyle)
Memory of Grace (Darksign): Not while in combat, unless "Foul Tarnished" playstyle

Voting

You can be serious with this, or somewhat silly. We'll get attached and inevitably heartbroken anyways if they get far, or they might die an early, ignominious death.

Optional details with ** indicate the default. It helps me if you bold your vote or make it clear. Also, you can submit multiple characters , just don't put too many in at once. I want everyone to have a bit of chance at seeing their character die to me being bad getting a valiant end.

You can also resubmit variations of characters if they have failed, but you want them to get another chance.

Name: (Their name)
Appearance: (General details, or something specific)
Starting Class: (Astrologer, Bandit, Confessor, Hero, Prisoner, Prophet, Samurai, Vagabond, Warrior, Wretch)
(See second post for details.)

-Optional Details-
Playstyle: (Survivor, *Adventurer*, Honorable, Daredevil, Foul Tarnished)(See second post for details.)
Starting Gifts: (See second post for list.)
Desired Ending: (*Fracture*, Duskborn, Order, Despair, Frenzied Flame, Stars)
Signature Equipment: (Specific items you want me to get/use, if you know any)

Provided for you are these, just to make voting easier.

Template 1:
-------------------
Name:
Appearance:
Starting Class:
-------------------

Template 2:
-------------------
Name:
Appearance:
Starting Class:
Playstyle:
Starting Gifts:
Desired Ending:
Signature Equipment:
Extra Details:
-------------------

You can also vote with the >>> GOOGLE FORM HERE <<<

...But either is fine.

* U P D A T E S *

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Info Lists

Classes (Alphabetical) posted:

1. Astrologer-
Stat Focus: High Intelligence
Weapons: Shortsword, Basic Attack Sorceries
Armor: Robes

2. Bandit-
Stat Focus: Dexterity, Arcane
Weapons: Dagger, Parrying Shield, Shortbow
Armor: Light Leather

3. Confessor-
Stat Focus: Average w/ Faith lean
Weapons: Longsword, Good Shield, Utility Incantations
Armor: Heavy Leather

4. Hero-
Stat Focus: High Strength
Weapons: Battle Axe, Decent Shield
Armor: Medium Leather

5. Prisoner-
Stat Focus: Dexterity + Intelligence
Weapons: Thrusting Sword, Magic Dagger Spell
Armor: Clothes + Funny Helmet

6. Prophet-
Stat Focus: High Faith
Weapons: Spear, Heal Utility + Fire Attack Incantations
Armor: Robes

7. Samurai-
Stat Focus: Physical lean, Dexterity Focus
Weapons: Katana, Longbow
Armor: Samurai Armor

8. Vagabond-
Stat Focus: Physical lean, Vigor (HP) focus.
Weapons: Longsword, Good Shield, Halberd
Armor: Light Plate Armor

9. Warrior-
Stat Focus: High Dexterity
Weapons: Dual-wielded Scimitars
Armor: Medium Leather

10. Wretch-
Stat Focus: 10 in everything, level 1.
Weapons: Club
Armor: What's armor?

Starting Gifts posted:

1: None - I don't need help

2: Crimson Amber Medallion - + %6 Max HP will surely save my life

3: 3k Rune - money money money

4: Golden Seed - +1 Flask charge

5: Fanged Imp Ashes - It's a summonable

6: Cracked Pot - Make bombs, become Atelier protagonist

7: Stoneword Key - Get rare items or get played for a fool

8: Bewitching Branch - 5 uses, charms enemies for 3 minutes, situational

9: Boiled Prawn - 5 defense shrimp lunch meals

10: Shabriri's Woe - draws aggro, no idea if this works outside of co-op/mimic tear

Playstyle Description posted:

Survivor - Play the game very safely, stick to intended progression.
(Will die to be being bad at some point.)

Adventurer (Default) - Safe gameplay, but no restriction in intended progression.
(Might die due to dumb mistakes.)

Honorable - Do not back down, avoid skulking about.
(This character will die, quickly, but they might be cool doing it. Honor is shown only to humanoids though.)

Daredevil - No fear, take risks to hunt down best gear early
(Attempt to go full power immediately, risk death in the setup.)

Foul Tarnished - Cheesy gameplay, no honor.
(Might frequently apply boringly effective strategies and weapons)

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 7, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
:rip: * G R A V E Y A R D * :rip:

"Here lies many an unfortunate tarnished, and how they perished. May those who succeed them learn from their follies."

(Updated on the episode after they die.)

ARIES -
Died to [Mad Pumpkin Head Miniboss] due to [a bad roll and a lack of planning].
Accomplishments: ...Was the first character?

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 29, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
This sounds like a fun time, I'll suggest something.

Name: Aries
Appearance: Young, wizardly-looking male
Starting Class: Astrologer
Playstyle: Daredevil
Starting Gifts: 3K Rune
Desired Ending: Stars

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think self harm posts are bannable though?

A steady stream of Prisoners named variations on Juno, beyond merely Foul Tarnished.

Name: Juno
Appearance: The poor woman not only was an underfed prisoner but apparently hadn't has sleep in years.
Starting Class: Prisoner
Playstyle: Foul Tarnished
Starting Gifts: None
Signature Equipment: Probably the stealth armor?
Extra Details: N/A

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 16, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

BraveLittleToaster posted:

This sounds like a fun time, I'll suggest something.

Playstyle: Daredevil

SIGSEGV posted:

A steady stream of Prisoners named variations on Juno, beyond merely Foul Tarnished.

INT magic isn't necessarily my most experienced field in this game, so these two should be fun. I know where some of the good stuff is though, and between a Daredevil and a Foul Tarnished I can put together some good plans of where to go and what to hit up.

I will say that I'll be looking to avoid running too many duplicates of the same character concept unless the pool is getting dry. I'll stick Juno and a few variations in for now, and I'll see if I end up needing more- it's just to keep things varied.

Stealth armor will be tricky as they decided to stick it in a really late-game area, but it'll be a fun challenge. There will be some stealth related stuff I can pick up along the way too.

SIGSEGV posted:

I think self harm posts are bannable though?

I've seen some of the games we LP here, I don't know if that's true :v:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
To pay respects to Kentaro Miura,

Name: Guts
Appearance: Guts from Berserk
Starting Class: Vagabond
Playstyle: Rip things apart with your GIANT SWORD
Signature Equipment: A GIANT SWORD

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How about someone who was actually hard to kill?

Name: Rasputin
Appearance: biggest beard you can put on
Starting Class: Prophet
Playstyle: Survivor/Russia's Greatest Love Machine
Signature Equipment: Smite them with un/holy might! Maybe blood magic.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Name: The Wizard
Appearance: Doesn't matter, because they will always don the biggest hat they can find and so their face will be inexorably obscured
Playstyle: Foul Tarnished
Starting Gifts: Stonesword Key
Desired Ending: Frenzied Flame
Signature Equipment: Biggest hat/helmet you can find.
Extra Details: As a wizard, they have no sense of right or wrong, so everything is on the table.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I know nothing about this game except that it's one of those super hard Souls games and it was a big thing a year or whatever ago. And also that I am probably never playing a second of this game because the Souls franchise has existed for 15 years and I've never even cared enough to even click a link on Steam, much less buy or play one. BUT I'm curious to see what all the hype was about, so I'll watch an LP of it.

Therefore, I am going to add my name to the character pool of failure, in lieu of actually playing the game.

Name: Magus
Starting Class: Hero
Appearance: The most generic looking male Hollywood action hero you can craft

-Optional Details-
Playstyle: Default/Adventurer
Starting Gifts: Crimson Medallion
Signature Equipment: gently caress if I know. I like the color red, if that helps.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The hard description is mostly undeserved, it's just that it will kill you if you come unprepared, don't respect it, and don't adapt, once you are decently good as a player you don't really need to adapt anymore and you don't need to respect it once you know it well enough.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I mean they absolutely are hard relative to other action games on the recommended/medium/"balanced story and action" difficulty level, but you know how people love hyperbole.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SIGSEGV posted:

The hard description is mostly undeserved, it's just that it will kill you if you come unprepared, don't respect it, and don't adapt, once you are decently good as a player you don't really need to adapt anymore and you don't need to respect it once you know it well enough.

I think this game is a similar case to XCOM higher difficulties. The game isn't hard, it's just ruthlessly fair. What some people think of as unfair difficulty is really just a lack of the game fudging stuff in your favour.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

anilEhilated posted:

How about someone who was actually hard to kill?

Name: Rasputin
Appearance: biggest beard you can put on
Starting Class: Prophet
Playstyle: Survivor/Russia's Greatest Love Machine
Signature Equipment: Smite them with un/holy might! Maybe blood magic.

Yeah, this sounds fun. Please note the beard is by far the most important part of this build. Also starting gift Bewitching Branch, because charming people is very on brand.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Name: Ryougi
Appearance: Small woman with short black hair and sharp looking eyes, yet also lithe like a cat
Starting Class: Samurai
Playstyle: Heavy armor will only slow you down, cut your enemies to shreds with high speed and knowledge of where to cut to make them bleed. :black101:
Signature Equipment: While starting with a katana, any weapon designed for the dexterous and can slice and dice (read: Inflict Bleed) suits her well. For gift, she carries three Cracked Pots that may serve well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Black Robe posted:

Also starting gift Bewitching Branch, because charming people is very on brand.
Yeah, that's just perfect.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I think this game is a similar case to XCOM higher difficulties. The game isn't hard, it's just ruthlessly fair. What some people think of as unfair difficulty is really just a lack of the game fudging stuff in your favour.

That's true if you're playing regularly, if you're inflicting an ironman upon yourself you're gonna suffer from dogs and shrimp. Also I am imagining the endless joy that a frenzied ending will be, with that platforming bit. I personally think platforming deaths shouldn't count because they are a design defect with the game.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I don't know if saying this is spoilers, or something to be expected given the challenge, but...

I did a decently long recording session last night. It was a bloodbath, and not for the enemy.

Some of it was rust, some of it was bad decisions, but we lost a lot regardless. I expected it to be a lot like this early on, particularly before I find my footing with this challenge. My current pitfall is being hungry for progress, making me less serious about a character unless they actually get somewhere. Then overconfidence sets in if I do make it somewhere. It's probably because I had two very unsatisfying deaths. Hopefully that last session humbled me enough and I start being more careful on every character, (playstyle aside.)

Well, I'll have to get better. And smarter.

Ryougi added to the wheel. Many characters... off the wheel.

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, this sounds fun. Please note the beard is by far the most important part of this build. Also starting gift Bewitching Branch, because charming people is very on brand.

Rasputin enough for ya?

SIGSEGV posted:

That's true if you're playing regularly, if you're inflicting an ironman upon yourself you're gonna suffer from dogs and shrimp. Also I am imagining the endless joy that a frenzied ending will be, with that platforming bit. I personally think platforming deaths shouldn't count because they are a design defect with the game.

Dogs have been a pain so far, but in closed scenarios a guard counter usually kills them... provided they don't immediately go for the second bite.

As for shrimp, they bring a whole new meaning to pistol shrimp.

I might rule platforming deaths to be permitted if I've got a Sacrificial Twig on, but we'll see. I'm actually happy to give Frenzied Flame a shot as it means I get to skip Azula and Ash Capital completely, even if I still have to fight the giant baby with a dinner plate (fire giant).

As for difficulty discussion the main thing is that Elden Ring, like FromSoft's other 3rd person action RPGs, asks you for trial and error. Things have patterns and movesets, although this game is definitely way faster than say, Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls. This gets tricky when you only get 1 life, so I'll either need to scout ahead or get really good at reading the enemy.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 17, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Odd Wilson posted:

I might rule platforming deaths to be permitted if I've got a Sacrificial Twig on, but we'll see. I'm actually happy to give Frenzied Flame a shot as it means I get to skip Azula and Ash Capital completely, even if I still have to fight the giant baby with a dinner plate (fire giant).
*insert patented FromSoft NPC hyena laughter here*

You're going to love it.

Odd Wilson posted:

As for difficulty discussion the main thing is that Elden Ring, like FromSoft's other 3rd person action RPGs, asks you for trial and error. Things have patterns and movesets, although this game is definitely way faster than say, Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls. This gets tricky when you only get 1 life, so I'll either need to scout ahead or get really good at reading the enemy.

Getting good at reading with only one life is hard but experience will help, keep in mind the speedrun training maxim that even if you mess up early, complete the run to train for the late bits as well. Rare enemies in particular are going to be a pain to train for, I think there's a couple boss and miniboss respawner mods you might want to have around to train up a bit.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SIGSEGV posted:

*insert patented FromSoft NPC hyena laughter here*

You're going to love it.

Getting good at reading with only one life is hard but experience will help, keep in mind the speedrun training maxim that even if you mess up early, complete the run to train for the late bits as well. Rare enemies in particular are going to be a pain to train for, I think there's a couple boss and miniboss respawner mods you might want to have around to train up a bit.

If that ending skipped Fire Giant, I'd do it every time, no matter the platforming challenge. I really dislike Fire Giant that much.

I'm on console, so, my form of training will have to be making a scout character and quitting out of the arena before they die. Gonna have to go oldschool with it.

Anyone who actually dies to a boss or something, I'll probably keep around to train with a bit before putting them in the grave.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah yeah, that's gonna be the console tax then.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Character name; Chuck.
Appearance: No hair, round body, grey skin
Class: Astrologer
Playstyle: foul tarnished (Rock Sling spam)
Starting Gift: Runes
Signature equipment : Meteorite staff.

Meet Chuck
They chuck rocks at things. They may or may not be a rock themselves. It was good enough to help me limp through this game so it's good enough for you, if you don't get killed by shrimp first.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Octatonic posted:

They chuck rocks at things. They may or may not be a rock themselves. It was good enough to help me limp through this game so it's good enough for you, if you don't get killed by shrimp first.

You'll be happy to know that this is my usual go-to for any INT caster I'm allowed to roam dangerous regions with.

I'll see how long it takes me to put out the first video. These aren't gonna be high on editing or anything.

I recorded some more today with a more safer approach. They're still alive (somehow) although it's not like they've made that much progress.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Getting to work on the first video soon, although I've definitely built up quite the backlog of footage by this point. I don't meant to sit here and keep teasing it or anything, I just had a lot of time to record recently and I took it. Later on, I'll have much less of a backlog I imagine.

I've finally gotten a character to a point that somewhat matches our furthest progress. And now I'm ready to go full paranoia mode, I'm not losing this character carelessly like some of the last.

It's all been a rollercoaster of emotions, at least.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
New Update: 01- Mettle to Endure

>>Click above or find it here<<

The Elden Wheel chose a surprisingly apt first character. Unfortunately, I am rusty and bad.

This is the only episode I let cutscenes and dialogue play out, after this I just start skipping it (except for bosses). If you want me to change that let me know, but as always, this run is more focused on the ironman thing rather than examining the story or anything.

If there's any changes I should make in general, let me know.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That was a pretty quick death, not that I expected much out of him. RIP first character, though. There's still more for the grinder to come, at least.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
The Meteorite Staff was actually one of my biggest annoyances with Elden Ring. It's an insanely huge boost over the starting staff, and I would venture to say it's the third-strongest staff once all upgrades are counted, second-strongest or strongest at base values(at least back on the patch where I played), and it's just... in a loving swamp. Not guarded by anything tough. Not after any sort of challenge. Not hinted or clued towards. In fact most dungeons will get you, as a primary spellcaster, much worse things and be far more irrelevant.

So to me it just exemplified the utter disdain the game had for players who wanted to explore, accomplish things and test out all of its content, by putting good stuff not anywhere players would be likely to intentionally look, but instead just in a pile of meat swamp slop in the middle of nowhere that they might accidentally wander past.

EDIT: For Astrologer players it also feels real cruel to lock your first spell merchant behind a boss that's really hard to kill with spells and who sells the early spell that's ideal for fighting him.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 20, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

BraveLittleToaster posted:

That was a pretty quick death, not that I expected much out of him. RIP first character, though. There's still more for the grinder to come, at least.

I was hoping he'd live longer too, though this is at least a far less foolish death than we'll see for a while. This was just a short but fatal combination of misplays.

His legacy will live on though, he will not be our last rock slinger.

PurpleXVI posted:

The Meteorite Staff was actually one of my biggest annoyances with Elden Ring. It's an insanely huge boost over the starting staff, and I would venture to say it's the third-strongest staff once all upgrades are counted, second-strongest or strongest at base values(at least back on the patch where I played), and it's just... in a loving swamp. Not guarded by anything tough. Not after any sort of challenge. Not hinted or clued towards. In fact most dungeons will get you, as a primary spellcaster, much worse things and be far more irrelevant.

So to me it just exemplified the utter disdain the game had for players who wanted to explore, accomplish things and test out all of its content, by putting good stuff not anywhere players would be likely to intentionally look, but instead just in a pile of meat swamp slop in the middle of nowhere that they might accidentally wander past.

EDIT: For Astrologer players it also feels real cruel to lock your first spell merchant behind a boss that's really hard to kill with spells and who sells the early spell that's ideal for fighting him.

As it so happens, the Meteorite Staff is mostly a crutch weapon from what I gather. It's stats are better than most staves in the early game, yeah, but it can't be upgraded and it falls behind over time. At 80 INT, it's apparently the weakest staff in the game. Still doesn't stop it from being effective for quite a long while.

Still, I'll agree with your point in regards to how easy it feels to get. You only get it early provided you take the time to explore said hellswamp instead of bailing immediately, but there's not a lot of effort involved to get it at the end of the day. Even escaping Sellia Crystal Tunnel isn't that hard and blindly sprinting to the exit without ever stealthing works most of the time. It doesn't feel like that significant of a find. Some kind of puzzle involving burning some rot plants covering the staircase to the ruin chest would have been cool- something easily hinted at in a ground message or a merchant note. Once you've seen ruins and know there's always something underground, you'd be looking for it anyways.

Then again, my first playthrough was a weird STR/DEX/FTH mix, so I only bothered with this after I already knew it was there and picked it up as a generally useless trinket.

I wholly agree on regards to sticking the first spell merchant behind a boss that counters spells hard. It's exceptionally cruel in such a small room. Sometimes I feel the duelist would have even been better. I imagine it's meant to be a learning exercise of "oh, hey, lock-on spam spell isn't going to work," but your melee capabilities are really rough early on. This would be more doable if, say, Magic Weapon was on a corpse outside and not being sold by the merchant past the boss. Honestly, this boss is part of one of my personal grievances with the game: how this whole little area is plastered with more dangerous stuff than the rest of Limgrave itself.

I'm not sure who thought it'd be a nice welcoming party to have Tree Sentinel, Dragon Agheel, Night's Cavalry, Bell-Bearing Hunter, Mad Pumpkin Head (if you're a caster), and Bloody Crow of Cainhurst Finger Nerjius all camping the areas in the opposite direction of curbstomper Margit. If you're a new player getting beaten up by one thing, there's a whole lot of other things around waiting to do the same. (In fairness, both NC and BBH aren't that hard to avoid, but the game also makes it nighttime when you first meet Melina so...)

I do still like the game, but I feel like the early game design is kinda confused. I still question the existence of the smithing table, why level ups are locked behind such a minor task, and how inconsistent and sudden Melina is about punting you into Roundtable Hold unceremoniously. We didn't talk to Varre, so I didn't show it, but he kinda makes it sound like a big deal.

I'm sure this is all something that a more serious LP could evaluate though, I'm just dying to stupid mistakes in a permadeath nightmare of my own design. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

As it so happens, the Meteorite Staff is mostly a crutch weapon from what I gather. It's stats are better than most staves in the early game, yeah, but it can't be upgraded and it falls behind over time. At 80 INT, it's apparently the weakest staff in the game. Still doesn't stop it from being effective for quite a long while.

Yeah, once you're upgrading it falls behind, but... in my case, I literally hadn't found a single staff upgrade by the time I happened on it, and it did insane things for my wizardly damage output.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, once you're upgrading it falls behind, but... in my case, I literally hadn't found a single staff upgrade by the time I happened on it, and it did insane things for my wizardly damage output.

I just fell into the Sellia Tunnel warp early on in my playthrough so I knew how to get it easy, but I I can imagine how frustrating that'd be, yeah.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, the meteorite staff is 100% a crutch, it's good at two things, early game and mid game in its specialty. For what it's worth I found it basically one hour after starting up the game, old structures sticking out of the ebola swamp? Sign me up. There's a lot of stuff that's hidden in really lovely ways though, and things you downright have to farm for.

I also did insane things for sorcery damage output, and one of those things was to get good with a rapier.

Also there was a minor kerfuffle when it came out about the UI design and somehow it was all about how wrong and bad and terrible some of the game's major strengths were and not about how the inventory system is kind of a piece of poo poo that requires thorough janitoring.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SIGSEGV posted:

Yeah, the meteorite staff is 100% a crutch, it's good at two things, early game and mid game in its specialty. For what it's worth I found it basically one hour after starting up the game, old structures sticking out of the ebola swamp? Sign me up. There's a lot of stuff that's hidden in really lovely ways though, and things you downright have to farm for.

To this day, I still haven't gotten a Kaiden helmet. I had to farm for 5 hours to get a Noble's Slender Sword on a DEX character. There are a lot of items I've never seen, and my favorite helmet, the unmodified Banished Knight helm, is an utter pain to farm.

In terms of the ironman, I'm currently looking at farming an item for our succeeding character that one of the fallen got lucky enough to get, but never had a chance to use: Lordsworn Greatshield. I still haven't decided on doing it though as there is a lesser replacement not entirely out of reach, and I have to be honest that I don't have faith we'll make it the entire rest of the game in one go.

edit: I'll see how long it takes me to quickly put together another episode, (there's a handful of tragedies to go before we catch up with where I am now,) but I'll be directing my attention towards my other LPs first.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 21, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I farmed myself a couple ultraheavy holy maces in a very late game area and let me tell you that sucked. I am now even more a devotee of completely fixed drops. Also because it means I don't have to sell or discard a half billion trash weapons and armor pieces.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Haha this seems like a fun challenge. I'd pull my hair out the first time I died by doing a 180 too fast and getting into that stupid skid animation.

Name: Belinda
Appearance: Give her the same hair as Rya. Anything else serpentine beyond that is a plus.
Starting Class: Warrior
Playstyle: Foul Tarnished. A snake does whatever it can to survive.
Signature Equipment: Any combination of the following: Serpentbone Blade, Coil Shield, Venomous Fang, Serpent Bow, any of the gladiator armors with snakes on them. Really anything snake-themed is fair game. Except, of course...
Extra Details: Belinda was abandoned as a young girl, but was adopted and raised by a family of snakes. As a result she would *never* use something as disgusting to her people as the Serpent-Hunter great spear.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Blue Labrador posted:

Haha this seems like a fun challenge. I'd pull my hair out the first time I died by doing a 180 too fast and getting into that stupid skid animation.

Skid death has not happened yet, but it probably will at some point. I am currently finding new and inventive ways to die.

I'm sitting on a lot of footage that I really just need to make into videos. It's definitely getting to a point where I can cut a decent chunk out of any new start.

I would be more specific, but then I'd be spoiling how many characters have perished thus far.

2nd phase Margit's quick 2-hit with longsword to staff stab is just aggravatingly lethal. Really any of his moves with the longsword are a pain. It's proving to be quite a roadblock in practice. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just pick up a bow and spam arrows.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Awww you fell for one of the meaner shenanigans that got me many times coming off of other From Soft titles, the delayed attack.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

DreadUnknown posted:

Awww you fell for one of the meaner shenanigans that got me many times coming off of other From Soft titles, the delayed attack.

They're in every game since DS1 (arguably the BKs have it in their optional 4th swing), but they put more in with every entry it seems. My roll was honestly just an early panic roll here, this swing just always comes out kinda slow.

Next episode will hopefully be uploaded by tomorrow. I somehow didn't notice how crusty the compression on the first one is, so it should be fixed from here on out. Fixing that has been the cause for delay on this so far- the 3rd episode is edited but not exported and the 4th wont ask for much editing from me.

I've stopped playing ahead so much given I have around 11 hours of content to cut through, most of which I'm figuring will get cut from redundancy. Most characters last longer than Aries, at least, but once you've seen one run of Deathtouched Catacombs, you've basically seen it all. I will also note that resubmitting a character idea is allowed, as definitely not every character I've played thus far gets a glorious death.

Given what I've played through so far, I'm building myself a bit of a route to follow to hopefully push characters to last longer and see real progress. And also to curb my more... dangerous habits that seem to arise on the fly.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Demons' Souls also had some vicious, vicious delayed swings, the high tier knights seemed to always strike at the right speed at the right moment, I never managed to fully and completely trivialize them.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SIGSEGV posted:

Demons' Souls also had some vicious, vicious delayed swings, the high tier knights seemed to always strike at the right speed at the right moment, I never managed to fully and completely trivialize them.

Well, I guess it's been in every game then!

I frankly don't remember a ton about Demon's Souls, I only ever played it on a friend's console back in early high school. I've never owned the game, or a PS3 to play it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
New Update: 02- Tarnished, Just Like You

>>Click above or find it here<<

Our adventure continues in a far less garbage compression ratio than last time.

We get to see some actual progress here, and even a boss fight. A good number of the little places I like to hit up are shown off here as we get a better run about Limgrave instead of trying to unlock a merchant.

For anyone wondering, this character came in over the Google form. I hope I pronounced their name correctly, otherwise this will be embarrassing.