Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Isn't the Flail the weapon that does a good chunk of Bleed with its special attack? I seem to recall watching someone chump a bunch of early tough-ish encounters with that, but I also seem to recall that they've nerfed Bleed since then.

And are we allowed to submit more than one character each? :v:

EDIT: Update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Isn't the Flail the weapon that does a good chunk of Bleed with its special attack? I seem to recall watching someone chump a bunch of early tough-ish encounters with that, but I also seem to recall that they've nerfed Bleed since then.

And are we allowed to submit more than one character each? :v:

EDIT: Update on previous page.

The Flail does have it's uses, but my dislike of it comes from it's high initial DEX requirement. It requires 18 DEX whereas the rather free Uchigatana has 15 DEX requirement. And not even far from it is Reduvia, the biggest bleed cheese weapon until Rivers of Blood at the endgame, at only 13 DEX. (Reduvia requires I survive Nerjius, which is, uh...). There's also the Morningstar as another possible get if you're desperate for bleed, but at that point just infuse Bloody Slash on something. The flail's weapon art does help to proc bleeds though.

As a reminder, I'm still playing on a pretty early version as well, like, early enough for Barricade Shield or bleeding Hoarfrost Stomp to still be broken. Meanwhile, I don't know where half the NPCs have gone and normal weapons still take obscene amounts of smithing stones to upgrade. I only haven't updated because I'm lazy though, not for any specific strategic reason.

And yeah, you can submit more than one character each- I'll make that a little clearer in the OP. You can also resubmit variations on characters too. My only ask is that the list doesn't get flooded with too much so that there's a fair chance that their submission will get picked.

If I'm being honest with myself, we'll probably have gone through a ton of characters before I really get anywhere though.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 29, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Name: Robhelm Tell
Appearance: Great big bushy beard!
Starting Class: Samurai
Playstyle: Daredevil
Starting Gifts: Stonesword Key
Desired Ending: Order
Signature Equipment: Bow or crossbow
Extra Details: A master archer who dreams of a better world, Robhelm Tell will never engage anyone with a melee weapon unless he's out of arrows and bolts. Throwing weapons are also acceptable.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Name: Robhelm Tell

I was already gonna start leaning more on ranged damage, but I might actually do good with this. At the very least, staying at range might help me live better.

There's a specific archer build I've been wanting to try (bloodbone arrows + shortbow), but that will probably mean beating the BBH.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, yeah, also another thing, about the wolves that spawn in when you hear a wolf howl. Apparently in at least some cases, they literally drop out of the sky and can end up dropping out of trees they get stuck in. It's very odd.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, also another thing, about the wolves that spawn in when you hear a wolf howl. Apparently in at least some cases, they literally drop out of the sky and can end up dropping out of trees they get stuck in. It's very odd.

In my experience they always drop from the sky in their tornado thing, which is the intended interpretation as well. Getting stuck in trees, somewhat less.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'll throw a corpse on the pile.

Name: Rojo de Rosa
Appearance: Skinny twink prettyboy
Starting Class: Prisoner
Playstyle: Foul Tarnished
Starting Gifts: 3k Runes
Desired Ending: Stars
Signature Equipment: Shield + Great Epee, whetstoned to whatever element you need at the time, plus the sweetest hat you have available at all times. Favour buffs and Carian sorceries over direct damage spells but use what you need to.

Shield and poke, shield and poke! I basically wanted to make a Red Mage.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
New Update: 03- Cessblood

>>Click above or find it here<<

An episode in which we engage in unorthodox strategies.

Nerijus proves a worthy challenge early on, much harder than the boss he guards. Most low level characters need only eat a single L1 and they'll die instantaneously. Needless to say, engaging this little ravine of death is playing with bloodfire.

Patches... well Patches isn't much of a fight. Unfortunately for him.

Will have to edit a few more chunks of my backlog soon. Hopefully when I get back to recording I'll have a solid plan and not just be winging it.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 7, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The link in the update doesn't go to the correct video.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

BraveLittleToaster posted:

The link in the update doesn't go to the correct video.

:doh:

Fixed. Don't know how I managed to do that, but I definitely did.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm surprised Candide made it past one video, so good on him.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wow, Juno truly is a foul tarnished. Poor Patches...

Also first time I bumped into Nejirus, I came there late and blasted him with a single spell or so, before Yura even managed to spawn in, so I had no idea what was going on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Name: The Count
Appearance: Extremely pale, almost pure white skin, stylish facial hair if possible.
Starting Class: Vagabond
Playstyle: Adventurer
Starting Gifts: Fanged Imp Ashes
Desired Ending: Frenzy
Signature Equipment: Heavy armor and spirit bell.
Extra details: Survivability and brazen use of the spirit bell. Should seek out as many, and as powerful as possible, spirit ashes, along with very hefty armor. Also won't kill Patches because he's not a jerk.

The Count is renowned and oft-spoken of, and while many stories of his virtues are repeated, two stand out in every tale: His refusal to surrender even against the greatest of odds, and his ability to surround himself with the right allies and co-conspirators for every situation. It is said he is chasing some great vengeance and will shatter the very world, if need be, to achieve it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Wow, Juno truly is a foul tarnished. Poor Patches...

Also first time I bumped into Nejirus, I came there late and blasted him with a single spell or so, before Yura even managed to spawn in, so I had no idea what was going on.

Juno's spent her time being beaten down by the world already, she has no mercy. He attacked, she fights back.

Unfortunately for Patches, he has a few marks against him that make him a target on Foul Tarnished runs:
- Free +7 Spear (that is, Spear, not Short Spear)
- He drops his bell bearing anyways
- His clothes are decently statted and good looking

The only con is that it means you'll never be able to get the Horned Tragoth armor or the currently useless Castanets later, but in purely pragmatic terms, he's a nice early power boost, compared to say, Edgar who is a rather tough fight. I suppose the other con is that you're a jerk, but oh well.

But Nerjius outside is what makes getting to Patches difficult as a low level character. Reduvia and the +7 Spear are a really alluring reward, and dying to a 2-hit + bleed that comes out in a fraction of a second is very easy. If you are riding by at a high level, then it's probably not that bad to drop by and destroy him. If anything, Nerjius is a reminder that we should probably skip Rivers of Blood later on, purely for the sake of not losing a character that's nearly at the end of the game.

Patches should be safe in any non-Foul Tarnished runs unless I am otherwise explicitly told to not spare him. The same goes for most NPCs.

I did note that Reduvia got an added Arcane requirement in a later patch, which is currently not present here.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

The only con is that it means you'll never be able to get the Horned Tragoth armor or the currently useless Castanets later, but in purely pragmatic terms, he's a nice early power boost, compared to say, Edgar who is a rather tough fight. I suppose the other con is that you're a jerk, but oh well.

There's also the Magma Whip Candlestick which I never used but which is probably important for some niche build, somewhere.

Its also kind of wild to me that the Castanets are still useless, its like that entire quest line was just never finished, and while they puttered with it a bit during patches they eventually just shrugged and left it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

There's also the Magma Whip Candlestick which I never used but which is probably important for some niche build, somewhere.

Its also kind of wild to me that the Castanets are still useless, its like that entire quest line was just never finished, and while they puttered with it a bit during patches they eventually just shrugged and left it.

Yeah, I forgot about the Magma Whip. It does exist! There's probably a sort of pyromancer type build for it.

I feel like the Castanets will probably become relevant to part of the DLC, just like some of the unobtainable gear in the game.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 7, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I feel that the quest being unfinished fits in pretty well with the lack of internal documentation and bleakness of the games, there was a story, but everyone suffered a grim fate and so it ended here.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SIGSEGV posted:

I feel that the quest being unfinished fits in pretty well with the lack of internal documentation and bleakness of the games, there was a story, but everyone suffered a grim fate and so it ended here.

That's an interesting take on it.I suppose in the case of the Castanets, it's none of your business, it's between Patches and Tanith.

Anyways, this isn't dead, I just haven't had time to put together and render the next video yet. Just wanted to say that, I've been swamped enough I almost forgot.

Now, I am about to run up on an issue with my ability to upload these large videos, so I'm gonna have to see where that goes. I don't need more SSLP/Hybrid updates under my belt, so I'm hoping to stick to VLP for this, but time will tell what answer I come to.

On that matter, does anyone have a specific preference for these being completely VLP, or would a hybrid style sometimes be good? If I did any hybrid updates I imagine I'd likely use SSLP to show repeat content or relatively safe content, and use cuts of videos for bosses or particularly dangerous reasons. I'm open to input on that though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like it as a full VLP so far, but once you start getting into some runs that are very similar until they aren't, I could see either just cutting out the similar part or maybe summarizing it with a few screenshots.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

I like it as a full VLP so far, but once you start getting into some runs that are very similar until they aren't, I could see either just cutting out the similar part or maybe summarizing it with a few screenshots.

Cutting out the similar parts (especially the talk to Melina, get horse, backtrack to Renna loop) was something I was gonna start cutting anyways. It's like 7 minutes up front on each new character and it's usually never different. Only change is whether or not I beat Grafted Scion (spoilers: hasn't happened yet)

For those wondering, I am going to return to this, I've just been caught in a catch-up war with my other LPs over the last month. Not at the very least caused by the fact that I've kept getting alternating big update weeks as well. This should start to resolve soon as I'll get a break from Fates for a week and a half to finally get a backlog for Blue Reflection, and I'll use that backlog to get me a backlog for Fates. The schedules are finally going to align in a way where I won't be running late, and I've got a number of smaller updates I can do.

Believe me, I really want to get back to running some of the characters we've got on the list and in the poll, I just have not been able to make the room for it. I am far from giving up on this challenge, and I've definitely got a smarter plan for going about these runs and getting characters to last longer.

(I've still got like 8 hours of backlogged recording for this too. The process of cleaning the audio and rendering is what takes so long.)

I think I'll be able to still get uploading these larger videos to work, the problem wasn't as large as I thought it'd be.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Looking forward to the resumption! These videos have been instant must-watches for me so far.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I've been thinking and I think you should be able to use the sacrificial branch talismans in general, and perhaps prevent-rune-loss-on-death tonic, at least for platforming segments, because gently caress those.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Oh, this looks fun! I'd like to add a character to the wheel. In honor of the pointiest creature I know:

Name: Sasha
Appearance: As hairy as possible
Starting Class: Bandit
Playstyle: Foul Tarnished
Starting Gifts: Fanged Imp Ashes
Desired Ending: Frenzied Flame
Signature Equipment: Beast claw, Vulgar Militia Man armor set
Extra Details: Bleed damage, bleed damage everywhere. Only be nice to NPCs who have food.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Dybael posted:

Oh, this looks fun! I'd like to add a character to the wheel. In honor of the pointiest creature I know:

Name: Sasha

Now, when you say as hairy as possible, you want me to do facial hair too? It is an option- Elden Ring doesn't restrict anything with it's creator.

On that note, I did update to the latest version so there are a few new hairstyles. There's other changes too like weapon rebalancing (Reduvia now requires 13 ARC) and some other changes, but hairstyles.

5 in total.

The last one is this. I can't say I expected anime pigtails, but they are in the game now.

(I suppose DS1 and I think DS2 had some small pigtails? Perhaps it was inevitable.)

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017

Odd Wilson posted:

Now, when you say as hairy as possible, you want me to do facial hair too? It is an option- Elden Ring doesn't restrict anything with it's creator.

Yes, please include facial hair. Make him the closest thing to a tribble the character creation menu can manage.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Characters have been added to the wheel, and I got the itch to make some attempts. I don't want to jinx it, but we've got a real hero this time.

...I've got a big backlog to cut through until we get there to witness their modest success thus far. :negative:

As previously stated, I'll try to get back on this soon sometime next week or so. Making an update buffer for my other work is meeting it's own fair share of obstacles, but I've never let it stop me, and it's not stopping me now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm excited to see how it goes!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did I miss something or why does the Caelid swamp look weird and doesnt play the Caelid theme?

Shouldnt it be like all red skybox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

WaltherFeng posted:

Did I miss something or why does the Caelid swamp look weird and doesnt play the Caelid theme?

Shouldnt it be like all red skybox?

If this is in reference to the last video, I imagine it's because Dragonbarrow, the far northeast section, frequently has stormy rains and it's hard to see the effect at night through it and the clouds. It does get red and hazy, but more so when you look off in the direction towards the swamp. It's just gray and foggy in the horizon otherwise.

I think a lot of the winds, clouds, and such may be minorly related to it's position to Farum Azula, but it's pretty far away still.

Anyways, the arthritis in my hands decided to pick up again, so I need to lay off on typing so much for a day or two.

Seems like a good as time as any to put some work in shaving this down.