Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh hey, I didn't notice this thread before, because it was stickied. I have a few things that might be worth adding, perhaps.

Here is a post on medium.com that contains a list of every lapidary supply shop in the world.

Here is a pair of web sites that go together:
Timetested Tools' dating hand planes is a starting point for figuring out what brand of old hand plane you have and maybe what date it was made
The wood and shop identify stanley hand plane age type study site is a linked sequence of questions you click the answers to, to figure out exactly what model and year range of Stanley hand plane you have

A plane life is a research library of over 4000 scanned images of ads and instructions and exploded diagrams of hand planes (and some other related woodworking tools)

The cut list optimizer is a web site where you put in the dimensions of all the pieces of stock (wood, steel, whatever) you need, and it calculates the minimum number of sheets or planks or whatever that you need to buy, and also shows you a visual diagram of your cuts to make, labeled with the labels you provide.

Ken Rockwell is a giant nerd about cameras and his website is a massive hyperlinked resource about every single camera and lens he's ever touched, and there's thousands. I've only explored parts of the nikon pages but it features such absolutely essential gems as this no-nonsense easy to reference list of lens:camera compatibilities complete with tables and visual guides and so on.

Caltopo is an online interactive set of the USGS topographic trail/hiking maps for the US, including overlays with data about geology, fires, cell phone coverage, sun exposure, and avalanche warnings.

Here is a hyperlinked, annotated, free online complete set of the Lewis and Clark expedition journals published by University of Nebraska, with maps, footnotes, and all kinds of nerdery. It includes the available journals from expedition members Ordway, Gass, Whitehouse, and Floyd, which are usually not included in typical publications of the journals.

Fixing FireWire (IEEE 1394) Problems With Windows 11, 10, 8 and 7

Medieval fantasy city generator

I hope some of this is helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

do not put ken fuckin rockwell in any kind of directory, unless it's a directory of turds

oh I didn't know? Is he a chud or something? I do not know the lore

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

check the yciapos thread if you want to see me go from "hm this guy says some interesting stuff for new photographers" to "lmao dude sucks" over the course of a few days.

i don't remember him being a particularly bad person with respect to politics (other than some weird but ultimately very minor comments wrt. chinese products, iirc), he is just rather bad at the one thing he's supposed to be good at, which is providing good photography advice.

oh OK. I mostly use his site to help me know if a given lens will work with my camera, and in that aspect it's been flawless, but if he's telling people how to take pictures wrong somewhere I wouldn't have noticed, so that's good to know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and then there's numbers stations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's That Bug is a web site for helping to identify bugs. You can browse of course but you can also take a picture of your bug, alive or smashed on your windscreen etc., and they will probably identify it for you. You send it to them with an email and the photos as attachments.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dunno if a straight up web store is allowed, but: https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/ is a store that sells every single kind of canned fish (and cephalopod etc., just think seafood in a can). It has tools for sorting through the 700+ different tins of fish, and by "tools" I mean a Google Sheets spreadsheet linked directly from the site page. So without buying anything you can actually use this site as a tool for figuring out which eighteen brands sell gristling sardines packed in tomato and spice, and how big each can is and what it costs etc.

It also has tagging with filters, so you can click the "SARDINE SIZE BIG (CHONKERS)" tag to get this page https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/large/ or "tin level: advanced" to get https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/advanced-tin/ which lists some cans of fish that cost $45
or

how about all the stuff talked about by instagram/tiktok canned fish influencer "daywithmei"? https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/daywithmei/

it's loving amazing

e. oh and they also sell over 300 kinds of tomatoes, hence the name, but sardines > tomatoes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I loaded the page, searched for granny smith, found it at 57, closed this absolute trash of a page

the site is awesome actually

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

You want an easily searchable database of crowdsourced critter pics???

https://www.inaturalist.org/

iNaturalist also has an app, and when you take pictures of animals plants fungi moss etc. and upload them, real actual scientists and experts will identify them for you and/or confirm your identification. You can also look at a map of wherever you are to see what other users have tagged there, which can help a lot with identifying what that little brown bird you're looking at might be.