Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

do not put ken fuckin rockwell in any kind of directory, unless it's a directory of turds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a few years ago, my mom was trying to find a website like that to identify some poop she found in the front yard. but she didn't have The Directory. instead, she googled "scat"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

check the yciapos thread if you want to see me go from "hm this guy says some interesting stuff for new photographers" to "lmao dude sucks" over the course of a few days.

i don't remember him being a particularly bad person with respect to politics (other than some weird but ultimately very minor comments wrt. chinese products, iirc), he is just rather bad at the one thing he's supposed to be good at, which is providing good photography advice.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

defector.com is where the deadspin writers went. it's a pay site ostensibly about sports; they also do other journalism. it's the best journalism i've found on the internet.

rotor it's kind of lame if people can't discuss the links getting posted though. i agree with you on the shitposts, but discussing the content of the directory to make sure it's generally high quality seems important to me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

https://cr.yp.to/djb.html

djb is a cryptographer who has written a lot of things about the sort of data structures, numerical computation, safe programming in the UNIX environment, etc, things that you'd expect a cryptographer to care about

seconding this. and in this vein:

cryptopals.com

is great for teaching the fundamentals of cryptography by walking you through breaking various algorithms and implementations. it's super fun and also vital to be an actually-good security engineer. despite that, most security engineers' eyes will glaze over as soon as you talk about this stuff, and they will think you're brilliant.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

YES and also nethack.alt.org, which runs a multi-user server and high score list (and accompanying bones file), adds in some nice quality of life patches, allows spectating, etc. it's fun!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

RF line of site calculator: https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/rf-line-of-sight/

you can tell it where antennas are gonna be, of what height, and it figures out if there's line of sight between the two. useful for telling if you're gonna be able to hit a repeater from a certain place, what kind of mast you'd need, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use jekyll for my site, but as a ruby thing it breaks and requires janitoring every thirty seconds. so i am highly disincentivized from making new posts etc.

it's a dead simple site, so migrating it to some other static site generator (including a dumb shell script) wouldn't be hard, but it's also greater than zero effort. which is too much.