Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I'm joining the club. Just had my absolute most CRACKED OUT run ever ruined because of The Mouth.

Negative Hiker, Holo Hack (+Blueprint), Wee Joker, and DNA. The Trio coming along for fun.

I nabbed a Polychrome Red Seal 2, and had it duped to the point I was reliably pulling it 5x in any given round. Red Seals make them play twice, Hack retriggered them, Blueprint doubled the Hack. This both juiced the gently caress out of the two's via Hiker, but also juiced the gently caress out of wee joker, up to 1.2k by the time I tripped over The Mouth. GREEDY FOR MORE RED SEAL POLYCHROMES.

I really wanted to see how far into Endless this one was going to take me. Ante 11 I guess. Best hand at run death was 747 Million.

E: Cursed snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
54 hours in and I finally saw my last legendary, Canio. Cripes. And of course I never saw a way to destroy cards the entire run.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are some tarot and spectral cards that let you destroy cards.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah and I opened every pack I saw. Not a single Hanged Man, Emperors didn't help me out, and not one more Spectral pack.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/video-games/2024/best-video-games-2024/

Balatro got the lead mention in an article in the Washington Post about the games of 2024

(other games mentioned: FF VII Rebirth, Palworld, Helldivers 2, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, Tekken 8, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Unicorn Overlord, and Dragon's Dogma 2)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 26, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ugh, lost a round in ante 7 by literally 75 chips

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Game just had an update, anybody know what it was?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
So far the only thing I've noticed is Runner, Square Joker and Wee Joker all start at 0 now, with the first two getting a slight increase in scaling as well (Runner from 10 to 15, Square from 4 to 5)

e: Bloodstone was nerfed to 1.5x. Vampire is uncommon again

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 27, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I did notice Square was at 5 now, but wasn't sure if that was in the last patch or not.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1ce3gmu/101e_beta_patch_notes_via_thunk_on_discord/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
making endgame square joker ~10-20% better isn't worth killing the theme :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

the holy poopacy posted:

making endgame square joker ~10-20% better isn't worth killing the theme :colbert:

Look what they did to my boy

Also Runner is even shittier I guess

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Post-change Square Joker takes 18 procs to start being better than pre-change Square Joker. At 4 hands per blind, that's really not very long.

Runner takes 6 procs, which............pretty sure it's still garbage, I dunno.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What's puzzling me is the nerf to Wee Joker, which is quite minuscule.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Games been out like 2 months, just push the loving patch already

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tbh I've had some success with runner. If you can pick it up early enough it's usually not too bad to just win some easy blinds with straights and then just coast with your +100 or so chips.

It's probably still worse than most other chip jokers, but also chip jokers are uncommon and sometimes you just gotta take what you get.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
New high score baby!

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

They nerfed bloodstone???

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man, Glass Joker and glass cards in general do not want to show up. Zodiac worked for Stone Joker, but I think I'm going back to ghost deck and trying to get early spectral packs for early enhanced cards/glass

MJeff posted:

Post-change Square Joker takes 18 procs to start being better than pre-change Square Joker. At 4 hands per blind, that's really not very long.

Runner takes 6 procs, which............pretty sure it's still garbage, I dunno.

The main problem is that almost every time I've picked up a Runner it's because I have zero chip cards for the base 20. New Runner I probably don't touch unless I have an early Short Cut.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Down to the final 5! Ancient Joker and The Tribe are such dead weight, I tried the Checkered Deck thing and didn't realize that Ancient Joker can roll suits you don't have. Even on the flush deck, I found myself trying to hide The Tribe in a Baseball Card comp

For the legendaries my thought is go Anaglyph and cash in on spectral tags, that's got to be the most bites at the apple

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tea Party Crasher posted:

They nerfed bloodstone???

I haven't played the beta branch but I believe they upped the proc chance from 1/3 to 2/3. So compared to the main branch this means it'll be more consistent but won't have the same blowout potential.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Bloodstone on main is 1/3 for 2x mult

Bloodstone was 1/2 for 2x mult on beta

Now it's 1/2 for 1.5x mult.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Kuros posted:

Bloodstone on main is 1/3 for 2x mult

Bloodstone was 1/2 for 2x mult on beta

Now it's 1/2 for 1.5x mult.

I'm not that good at math, but common sense tells me this is an improvement

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm not that good at math, but common sense tells me this is an improvement
I think it's technically a little worse, because 3 triggers with live version is 8x and it takes 5 triggers with the new beta version to get about that much. You get 50% more triggers but 5 > 3 * 1.5.

So in absolute terms I think it's a small nerf, but you could argue more consistency makes it stronger.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What would be some fun drinking rules for a Balatro party? I'm having some fellow Jokerheads over next weekend.

So far I've come up with

When the Boss Blind is defeated
When someone scores 5-of-a-Kind
When a Rare Joker is purchased

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

smoobles posted:

What would be some fun drinking rules for a Balatro party? I'm having some fellow Jokerheads over next weekend.

So far I've come up with

When the Boss Blind is defeated
When someone scores 5-of-a-Kind
When a Rare Joker is purchased
When Seance produces a spectral card
When someone forgets to play 5 cards against psychic
When lucky card gives you $20

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
finish your drink any time you run into a boss blind that completely dunks your current run

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zamujasa posted:

finish your drink any time you run into a boss blind that completely dunks your current run

at hobspital getting stomach punped

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

canyoneer posted:

at hobspital getting stomach punped

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Take a tiny sip anytime wheel of fortune fails, thousands still dead.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I’m pretty sure it hasn’t worked for me ever in ~10 tries. Meanwhile I was watching the Remap folks and they hit 3 straight wheel of fortunes. definitely rigged

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I have heard from reliable sources that the developer logs in and personally activates the Wheel of Fortune cards, and it only triggers if he likes you.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
i KNEW it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Detheros posted:

Take a tiny sip anytime wheel of fortune fails, thousands still dead.

do i stay sober this run?

Nope!

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

wait, wheel of fortune does something?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Also that bloodstone change actually doesn't sound to bad. I would rather have consistency over a chance to pop off that doesn't come

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm slightly miffed by the nerf because hours earlier I had a run get to e23 off the back of two bloodstones, blueprinted hack, and oops all 6s to trigger the bloodstones 100%

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Trying out plasma deck and I have to say, I just don't get it. Using all my willpower to not go back to my comfort zone of green deck

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Trying out plasma deck and I have to say, I just don't get it. Using all my willpower to not go back to my comfort zone of green deck

Focus chips and xMult. Since it balances out chips and mult each hand, the amount you get from +mult isn't as impactful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I just had a brief glimmer of hope when I got a double tag and was able to open two mega buffoon packs and got hiker along with hack and mystic summit. I was quickly humbled by the wall