Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The "reward" of getting to suffer Orange stake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Can you unlock stuff from challenge runs? If so I might just try to get $400 on Rich Get Richer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

El Jeffe posted:

Can you unlock stuff from challenge runs?

Nope

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ugh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Papes posted:

On 1.0 yes. High stakes are way more fun post patch.

Blue Stake still sucks rear end. This game just doesn't work with only 2 discards.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I think the only times I've passed blue stake or up were when I was lucky enough to get a Wasteful voucher.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

discards only really matter with the green deck, imo

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
$400 should eventually come naturally; at some point you'll have Rocket and Bull become a self-sustaining engine if you can feed it mult and xmult in the other three slots plus hand level, and if everything comes together by round 6 or so you can get even from $0 to $400 by the time it taps out. I think mine ended up with Baseball Card, Ramen, and Constellation on Nebula, with real basic stuff like Green Joker and Odd Todd filling in in the early game before I saw enough Plutos and Mercuries.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mandoric posted:

$400 should eventually come naturally; at some point you'll have Rocket and Bull become a self-sustaining engine if you can feed it mult and xmult in the other three slots plus hand level, and if everything comes together by round 6 or so you can get even from $0 to $400 by the time it taps out. I think mine ended up with Baseball Card, Ramen, and Constellation on Nebula, with real basic stuff like Green Joker and Odd Todd filling in in the early game before I saw enough Plutos and Mercuries.

Also Anaglyph deck until you can cash in on a mega cash tag is how I got it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, I got Triboulet after cutting half my Kings and Queens out of my deck. There were still 4 kings. I drew my entire deck. Only 3 were in there. The last one was the last card that it didn't draw because it didn't fill the hand

Ok Balatro, thanks a lot

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 28, 2024

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MJeff posted:

Blue Stake still sucks rear end. This game just doesn't work with only 2 discards.

Disagree. You just have to play less risky hands and use high card/ pair plays to effectively discard 3/4 cards if you are fishing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How rare are Legendary Jokers? I feel like I saw my first one about 15 hours ago, and it's been 30 hours total and I haven't seen them since. I'm not sure if that's just how rare they are or if there's a way to influence them. Pretty sure I got my single one from a Tarot too so the only way I can think of is just relentlessly opening tarot packs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty rare in my experience

I have only gotten them from spectral cards

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There's a 0.3% chance per card in spectral and tarot boosters to see the soul.

So yeah if you're really looking for it just start digging through packs

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If I was gonna Legendary Joker hunt, I would probably do it with Anaglyph Deck and stock up double tags to open bunch of Mega Arcana or Spectral packs at once.

Could also do it on one of the decks with good econ like Green or Yellow to make sure you have enough money to buy packs.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Are people mostly playing on the beta patch? I just got my first gold stake win but it was still the -1 hand size instead of rental jokers that I see other people doing.

I also think the game's better at white stake, it seems like winning past purple stake is a pure rng fest but I hear the experimental is going to be better about it?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

WarpedLichen posted:

Are people mostly playing on the beta patch? I just got my first gold stake win but it was still the -1 hand size instead of rental jokers that I see other people doing.

I also think the game's better at white stake, it seems like winning past purple stake is a pure rng fest but I hear the experimental is going to be better about it?

Yeah the -1 hand size is brutal, particularly with the orange stake scaling cost in packs that makes it substantially harder to fill out your deck and up kind of pidgeonholing you down certain paths for most runs to have a reasonable shot. The experimental stuff is there to still add penalties at higher levels, but make it feel less like the winning strategy is just play high cards/pairs with a ride the bus and as much flat chips as you can scrounge.

I recall there was a bunch of people really struggling with the higher stakes that posted victory screenshots when the beta for that patch opened so it seems like it's fairly effective towards that end. From what I've heard it sounds like it may have brought about other frustrations tho (with 30% each of eternal, perishable, rental it can be hard to just find normal jokers you want to use).

I'm on switch so I'm really looking forward to trying it, I hit about a third of the decks on gold and was kind of getting bored of doing the same thing for those wins so I've been waiting to see it to start filling out the rest of them. In the meantime I've just been grinding up the stakes on other decks that didn't feel as strong as the ones I originally hit gold on.

I think around black is probably my favorite tier in a general sense, the difficulty level has a good balance of being fair without being too easy and the eternal sticker feels interesting to play around.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pre-patch my favorite stake would be purple, it's quite difficult while not feeling like bullshit.

Post-patch I just play on gold stake, the new stickers and lack of booster pack scaling just makes it super fun

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Purple is good too for sure, I feel like the ante ramps up a little too fast to be a chill session but on decks I've completed gold with it and black are probably my two most common places to revisit. I'm glad that's viable at gold now too I think they said when the patch drops for real for real it'll be shooting out across platforms quickly so hopefully I wont have to wait too long.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao I got a run with Oops All Sixes and Lucky Cat and it just loving died. God daaaaaaamiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I'm not gonna see that combo again for a long fuckin' time.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Another new micropatch.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

WarpedLichen posted:

I just switched because I don't want to get a legendary joker I don't need, and I'd recommend doing all of the Ghost Deck unlocks before updating - all of the new lovely tags make it way harder to use the Hex effectively.

So far I've just done a few runs - Anaglyph feels way better (especially when you hit a negative tag) and Yellow feels slightly better since it's harder to get economy going.

I've been having a harder time on the new patch because it's so hard to find a non-lovely chip card. Blue Joker was good before, but it feels like with the nerfs to Square Joker/Banner and Stuntman being rarer it's like, A tier now.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

MJeff posted:

Square Joker appears to be back to +4 chips btw. Still starts at 0, so now it's just objectively worse.
it also costs $4 now, down from $5

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Pre-patch my favorite stake would be purple, it's quite difficult while not feeling like bullshit.

Post-patch I just play on gold stake, the new stickers and lack of booster pack scaling just makes it super fun

Pre-patch purple was where the game felt like absolute bullshit for me. The scaling was far too much.

Black stake is best imo, eternal jokers are fun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Relyssa posted:

Pre-patch purple was where the game felt like absolute bullshit for me. The scaling was far too much.

Black stake is best imo, eternal jokers are fun.

I JUST beat purple stake on Switch yesterday after I'd say 20+ hours of trying

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Malloc Voidstar posted:

it also costs $4 now, down from $5

Square joker with the one that lets you play flush and straight hands with just 4 seems like free chips

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I JUST beat purple stake on Switch yesterday after I'd say 20+ hours of trying

Have fun with pre-patch gold! It somehow took less time than purple did but still sucked real hard.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Square joker with the one that lets you play flush and straight hands with just 4 seems like free chips

Four Fingers is generally dookie because that joker space could be xMult on a high card build instead

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ya 3 or 4 card hands don't seem worth building around

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Square Joker is very good if you get it early enough.

Four Fingers just makes certain hands easier to play which kinda tells you everything you need to know about those hands.

Which is unfortunate because Four Fingers and Shortcut are certainly very fun jokers.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I finished all stakes with one deck, so now I'm working on clearing all the mid-level stakes for all the different decks now.

What I'd really love for this game is a Vampire Survivors style "ban" where you can eliminate Jokers from the pool. I guess it would have a big impact on balance, but then again the game is stupidly random on any given run anyway.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MJeff posted:

Four Fingers just makes certain hands easier to play which kinda tells you everything you need to know about those hands.

Which is unfortunate because Four Fingers and Shortcut are certainly very fun jokers.

I did have a fun run with both of those and Buskin, but it wouldn’t have worked on higher stakes due to having 2 dead joker slots.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Four Fingers has a little bit of niche value in Checkered Deck, with it you're guaranteed a flush in any deal and unlike Paintbrush or Juggler it continues working even through an early Ouija to help transition to 5oks and Flush Fives.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
4 fingers makes straight flush waaay easier to get. Shame it's not that great of a hand since there isn't much for it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Power of Pecota posted:

Four Fingers is generally dookie because that joker space could be xMult on a high card build instead
The thing that makes it secretly good is that if you have a flush with four cards and a straight with four different cards then it counts as a five-card straight flush. It makes straight flushes consistently possible on non-checkered decks, which if you have telescope or (especially) blue chips is basically a combination of xmult and +chips considering how well they scale with planets.

I mean if you’re going for e numbers then anything except high card is bad but if you’re just trying to win I think 5-card builds are legitimately good now.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Square joker is good because you can just play 3 garbage cards and high card or 2 & pair, and just use the excess cards as free discards.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There is a lot of crazy poo poo that Four Fingers enables because of the way the game checks for hands like Straight Flush, Flush House, etc. But even that's more of a novelty than anything because those aren't really the strongest or easiest things you can do.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Einwand posted:

Square joker is good because you can just play 3 garbage cards and high card or 2 & pair, and just use the excess cards as free discards.

I'm just making GBS threads on Four Fingers, Square Joker is good (although it took a big hit with the last nerf)

pumpinglemma posted:

The thing that makes it secretly good is that if you have a flush with four cards and a straight with four different cards then it counts as a five-card straight flush. It makes straight flushes consistently possible on non-checkered decks, which if you have telescope or (especially) blue chips is basically a combination of xmult and +chips considering how well they scale with planets.

I mean if you’re going for e numbers then anything except high card is bad but if you’re just trying to win I think 5-card builds are legitimately good now.

The issue's just consistency and a lack of a payoff unless you're doing planet stuff. Short Cut has led to a few fun Straight builds, but I've legitimately never had a gold stake run rely on straight flushes whatsoever.

My gold sticker with Four Fingers was a foil version going along for the ride on a good build, and my Seance one was a negative one that was just there to be sold if I got Verdant Leaf

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally unlocked erratic deck using the checkered one! Certificate of Authenticity with a negative tag, Baseball Card, Vampire, an early Ramen, Odd Todd and Fortune Teller made it a cakewalk.