Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok the third deck is AWESOME. I've played a few rounds and for every deck it feels like you live or die on whether you get a joker that can carry you through the stage 2 boss while getting to greed (by skipping blinds or by building econ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
yooooo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
...I don't think i'm allowed to play any other hands any more.

Anaglyph deck is ridiculous.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So having several polychrome jokers goes pretty hard.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

drat, the baseball card is insane. I had 4 uncommons + baseball so I was getting a minimum of x6 to my multiplier every round. Beat the final boss by scoring 184k in the first turn.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

some runs are hard
some runs give you 3x Polychrome Photographs, a Ramen, Four Fingers, and 100+ cash to enable absolute nonsense
(Note: 3x Polychrome Photographs achieved via Aura(Hex?) for Polychrome, Ankh +selling every other Joker for a second polychrome photograph, and an Invisible Joker for the third.)
anaglyph is usually famine, but when its a feast its a feast.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 30, 2024

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Nice!
I got a royal flush by absolute chance against one of the face down card blinds. I couldn't believe it and just clicked through before screenshotting because my brain just went, "oh yeah, of course, I planned that".

Hook this game to my veins

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty good trick to have up your sleeve

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So popcorn is just broken right? I can't think of a single turn in the game where I wouldn't buy it immediately (outside of clowny already-won-the-game combos).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
It's definitely a case where it's a must buy unless you already have something better, yeah. At least in the demo.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I love this demo so far but I'm interested to see how easy it will be to effectively make an all flush deck or something in the full game. So far I've mainly won by going all in on straights or flushes which seems incredibly easy if you get either to level 3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've just been playing Anaglyph over and over. If you buy whatever jokers make you strong enough for the first two antes you can very often just go straight to 50 gold by ante 3 or 4 with an econ blind. It's certainly fun it just seems a bit easy.

EDIT:

This isn't even very uncommon with anaglyph..

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 5, 2024

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
how do I counter face down draws? the 32,000 blind just messed me up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

err posted:

how do I counter face down draws? the 32,000 blind just messed me up.
The easiest way is have an op deck and use a discard after each draw - the Fish only gives you face down cards after you play a hand. You can also re-arrange your hand by suit/rank to still be able to hit flushes. Imo 32k is the worst time to hit the fish he's less bad at most other blinds.

I lost my first run of Balatro to the Fish too and I was pissed but I haven't lost to it since (i've lost to other stuff instead)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 6, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I just had a funny "I don't care what the cards are" run with jokers that just added a bunch of base chips and multiplier and would get almost 10k just from a high card hand, which is one way of dealing with the face down cards.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been winning repeatedly by going for Flush decks and Straight decks every time but have no idea how to consistently win with other hands as my focus :argh:

Flush is just easy as hell if you prioritize tarot cards and get the ones that let you change the suit of 3 cards. Pretty easy to switch your entire deck over to two suits at which point it's virtually impossible to not get a Flush every hand. Straight also seems easy to discard for and get a straight every hand. And they both have some really absurd Jokers like the one that makes Flushes/Straights doable with 4 cards and the one that lets you skip numbers in Straights.

Game is good and I'm gonna buy it when it comes out.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

This game is the only thing that has gotten me to exclaim "gently caress, my banana rotted!"

GOTY 10/10

No really though, I am jonesing hard for this release. 2 more weeks!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been winning repeatedly by going for Flush decks and Straight decks every time but have no idea how to consistently win with other hands as my focus :argh:

Flush is just easy as hell if you prioritize tarot cards and get the ones that let you change the suit of 3 cards. Pretty easy to switch your entire deck over to two suits at which point it's virtually impossible to not get a Flush every hand. Straight also seems easy to discard for and get a straight every hand. And they both have some really absurd Jokers like the one that makes Flushes/Straights doable with 4 cards and the one that lets you skip numbers in Straights.

I have bad luck trying to reconfigure my deck to force flushes, it seems the only times I see a second one of those tarots in the right suit is when it's clubs and I haven't run into the anti-club boss yet. The jokers that give you easy straights are bonkers though.

The pants joker that gains permanent +2 multiplier every time you play two pair is very nice, although I guess technically towards the end of the game there's not much incentive to keep playing two pairs unless you managed to level the hell out of it and skipped everything else.

Low-cards builds with Hack + Fibonacci have some potential, although half the time they turn into straight builds anyhow since skipped number straights are a great way to trigger multiple 2/3/5s consistently.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 6, 2024

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The things people have done with just the demo is mind boggling. I just hope people don't burn themselves out before the full game releases.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Had all the good jokers that worked with straights and just lost to the Bell boss because it kept auto-selecting cards that didn't work with straights. I won almost every round before that with royal flushes.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Do the bosses hard force you into certain strategies? It seems like slay the spire was good because you could freestyle stuff. If I don't get a certain joker for my build, I may know before I even get there that I have no chance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I do think they need to nerf straight/flush decks, it's just the easiest build to win with and even when I deliberately try to build a different deck certain joker cards make it way too appealing to build a straight/flush deck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

err posted:

Do the bosses hard force you into certain strategies? It seems like slay the spire was good because you could freestyle stuff. If I don't get a certain joker for my build, I may know before I even get there that I will lose.

In my experience most boss abilities are pretty generalized. Of the demo bosses the only one that really has a huge impact on me for deckbuilding is the one that dumpsters club card values, which makes specializing in clubs terrible if it hasn't come up yet.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anybody watch the stream yesterday? Anything cool? It was supposed to be the first look at the full game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

err posted:

Do the bosses hard force you into certain strategies? It seems like slay the spire was good because you could freestyle stuff. If I don't get a certain joker for my build, I may know before I even get there that I have no chance.

There's one boss that only allows you to play one hand type. Whatever hand you play first is the only hand that will score against them for the entire blind. It's my least favorite boss because it forces you to build your entire deck around one specific hand in case it comes up late enough to be a difficult round, and it discourages having more all-purpose decks that don't focus around playing the same hand over and over. Hard to say how that will change with the full game though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

There's one boss that only allows you to play one hand type. Whatever hand you play first is the only hand that will score against them for the entire blind. It's my least favorite boss because it forces you to build your entire deck around one specific hand in case it comes up late enough to be a difficult round, and it discourages having more all-purpose decks that don't focus around playing the same hand over and over. Hard to say how that will change with the full game though.

In the full release with a wider variety of bosses, it'll probably become harder to build around maybe seeing them. I avoid club flush decks because of The Club, but I imagine there'll be one for the other suits in the full version.

There's a few UI updates they should make. Give us the option to go back to a shop once clicking out of it; at least once every three runs I have to yell at myself for not buying something. I almost always go into the last boss with way too much money. I always hated when I went into the Mom boss fight in The Binding of Isaac not parsing that it was the Depths II and couldn't go back to the main floor to get the shop/item room I skipped.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah being able to re-enter shops would be nice. I too usually forget what round I'm in and then end up fighting Curelean Blue with a bunch of spare cash.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Yeah being able to re-enter shops would be nice. I too usually forget what round I'm in and then end up fighting Curelean Blue with a bunch of spare cash.

You can check what the blinds are from the shop screen (it's one of the tabs under Run Info), but there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to go back to the shop after leaving. I guess maybe they didn't want to gently caress with setting up a special UI case for closing the shop after you skip a blind? But yeah, it would be a great QOL feature.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I compare most bosses to The Wall. I dont think most decks I've played have more trouble with The Mouth than the Wall. The exception is decks that both a.) are built to play a specific hand and b.) are leaning on that 40 chips per remaining discard card because that situation can get pretty awkward because you cant play out a trash hand for the redraws.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I compare most bosses to The Wall. I dont think most decks I've played have more trouble with The Mouth than the Wall. The exception is decks that both a.) are built to play a specific hand and b.) are leaning on that 40 chips per remaining discard card because that situation can get pretty awkward because you cant play out a trash hand for the redraws.

If I'm not mistaken you can still play whatever random 5 cards against The Mouth, it will just score 0. But if I'm building around the 40 chips per discard joker then I'm going to be hunting for flat multiplier bonuses that don't care what hand I play so I can just play pairs (or even high card) and rack up decent damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If the first hand you play is high card your only scoring hand will be high card (ask me how I know!!!)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

If the first hand you play is high card your only scoring hand will be high card (ask me how I know!!!)

Sure, but when your plays start out at a base of 120 chips then you can hook that up with jokers that provide flat multiplier and do decent damage even if you're just playing high card.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I took your guys' advice and tried to focus on a hand that played low card hands like High Card, Pair and Two Pair and got my first win of this demo.

Anaglyph to double up on the "Get $5 for every time you've skipped" blind twice + the Bull Joker is very very funny. The "+1 mult for every hand played, -1 for every discard" is very different from what I usually play, but it worked out really well here and the "+1 mult for every tarot card used" gets real good after you have enough money to use every tarot card you see.

But mainly I think the Bull Joker is loving hilarious.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bull is fun but it kind of feels like for this game to be balanced $100+ should usually mean a won run anyways. Which makes me wonder about it being so easy to do with anaglyph. If it's the kind of game like Isaac where some decks are just way stronger than others and collecting chips on every different deck is the challenge then I guess it's not a big deal.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

And this is how my next run starts. Let's see how this goes.

Edit:

It went well.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 9, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

drat, that was an OP as hell set of jokers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
10 days until GOTY 2024 releases

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally got a win with a not flush/straight deck. Playing Anaglyph and I used the double tag to boost two pair with a blind skip that tripled the level each time for a +6 level bonus ending up at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My least favorite demo deck is the one that starts with 2x The Fool. Somehow no matter what tarot I copy my deck is bad. You'd think changing nine cards to one suit would guarantee a victory given how broken flushes are, but no.