Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
At higher stakes, I'd say if you want a better chance of winning, reroll until you can skip for one of the following tags:

Holographic
Coupon
Foil
Investment (Depending on your luck)

+10 mult or +50 chips can really help in the first blind or two which can get you going. Free items in the shop helps as does $15 if you can beat the boss with no/minimal jokers.

If Top-Up or Mega Buffoon were available Ante 1 I'd also suggest those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just won my first run with the Abandoned Deck because I got the joker that accumulates multiplier for not playing face cards in the first shop. Then I lost a run immediately afterwards because I had the Boss Blind modifier where you can only play one hand type, and accidentally played a straight flush in stead of just a flush.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just won my first run with the abandoned deck too! This one came down to the wire the whole way through. I got very little useful except the joker that makes two more jokers each blind, who popped out two common +4 mult for spades and clubs, and I couldn't find anything better, especially because one of them turned holographic somehow. And I was constantly broke because I got nothing useful for money except the Egg (which I couldn't even get because my hand was full of common jokers that my teetering-on-the-edge flush deck relied on.) I convinced myself into swapping out the 4-card flush joker for the one that gives x3 mult if you play a hand you've played before, and I think I only pulled it out because of that.

Also drew the final Boss Blind that picks a card that you HAVE to use, and omg that is so painful when it just won't pull the right thing

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
abandoned deck is secretly incredibly powerful because making your deck give you certain cards more consistently is a very subtle but incredibly strong improvement for it and abandoned already starts off at -12

it's like the checkered deck for non-flush builds

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I’ve only just started doing the higher stakes runs and the abandoned deck has given me the most success so far. It’s just way easier to get a consistent build going when you take out a huge chunk of the deck first. It’s pretty easy to get straights to get through the early antes until you can get some good jokers going.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Abandoned deck is the only one where straight builds are viable without a lot of tarot cards and utility jokers, which makes it a nice change of pace.

Chadzok posted:

nah skipping for free packs/cards is clearly, clearly the best way of kicking off with a good chance, especially those last two or three stakes. I've made my peace with the minutes spent rerolling (and tossing mid first shop selections) because landing in that first shop to a banquet is hella fun. quite often you immediately feel like you've got it in the bag and the tension then becomes not loving it up

that being said if the next patch fixes things so reroll mashing is not optimal play, good
If you like splurging at a shop for the fun of it after 10 rerolls that's cool, but calling it optimal over learning how to carry through ante 1/2 with a common shop joker or two doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Purchase joker that scales +3 mult with skipped packs shop 1 (nothing else offered y not)

Shop two pack offers me legendary joker

Lose to boss 1 because no mult

I've skipped legendaries before I refuse to do it again on principle

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Everyone loves checkered deck and abandoned deck but don't sleep on the erratic deck. Occasionally you get a mostly vanilla dud deck but you routinely wind up with 8-10+ of the same number, it's a blast being able to shoot for 3-4 of a kind right out of the gate.

Of course, straights might as well not exist, that's all abandoned deck.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

Everyone loves checkered deck and abandoned deck but don't sleep on the erratic deck. Occasionally you get a mostly vanilla dud deck but you routinely wind up with 8-10+ of the same number, it's a blast being able to shoot for 3-4 of a kind right out of the gate.

Objectively it's powerful but I hate it cause keeping track of what's in your deck and what you should play or discard becomes way more annoying.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

the holy poopacy posted:

I want the erratic deck, but purple stake hates me, so I can't even fail at orange stake yet.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

As I do more and more high stakes, I begin to wish for some form of slight control to the start of the deck. So many restarts.....especially if I RNG doesn't generate any kind of scoring Joker/Tarot

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The more I play higher stakes the more I really like foil/holo at the first skip. I’d obviously prefer a free shop, but near guaranteed 10 mult/50 chips lets you build up some cash and get a run going instead of resetting constantly for a good shop in ante 1.

At the very least I’m getting way more runs past ante 4 and having fun instead of fishing for good shops.

E: what this dude said

Kuros posted:

At higher stakes, I'd say if you want a better chance of winning, reroll until you can skip for one of the following tags:

Holographic
Coupon
Foil
Investment (Depending on your luck)

+10 mult or +50 chips can really help in the first blind or two which can get you going. Free items in the shop helps as does $15 if you can beat the boss with no/minimal jokers.

If Top-Up or Mega Buffoon were available Ante 1 I'd also suggest those.

uPen fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 29, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For some reason even if I get past early to mid antes at orange stake, my deck crashes and burns around ante 6/7. What gives?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Still not reached some of the ludicrous scores I've seen but this is maybe the best draw I've had yet.

Using Blueprint and DNA together to stack a hand with glass and polychrome kings then swapping Blueprint to Yorick and playing flush fives. Tapped out at ante 12 just after picking up Baron but I didn't have enough kings in hand to make it work.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Finally won plasma deck gold stake off of a square/castle build that had both of them built up to 200+ chips. Also had Odd Todd, who has been a common factor in almost all of my deep runs with the plasma deck. It happened so often that I think you should be prioritizing making odd numbered cards over face cards in high stake plasma attempts. Almost lost against the boss that forces you to sell a joker because I had planned on selling my negative +1 discard joker, forgetting that it was permanent. A lot of close moments throughout as I had to kneecap my plays to feed the square and castle.

Can't wait to go back to playing at a difficulty level that is actually fun.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2024

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Captain_Person posted:

then swapping Blueprint to Yorick

you can move the loving jokers?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Phssthpok posted:

you can move the loving jokers?

lol

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wow I thought my blueprint-an-ID-card for 6x mult with level 10 flushes with +4 mult for each heart on a half-heart deck was good but it just did not get past ante 10. I cannot imagine what sort of decks would be able to.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Hellioning posted:

Wow I thought my blueprint-an-ID-card for 6x mult with level 10 flushes with +4 mult for each heart on a half-heart deck was good but it just did not get past ante 10. I cannot imagine what sort of decks would be able to.

Do you want an answer or do you want to puzzle over it?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Do you want an answer or do you want to puzzle over it?

I'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure. If we're getting into scientific notation for some of these scores there has to be a massive multiplier thing somewhere.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It won't be around forever, but here's a Twitch stream of the Youtuber Balatro University cleaning up a tournament where each round you were given a seed and had an hour to get the highest score possible. He got e19, e19, e23, and e24 to win all four rounds. Absolutely disgusting play.

Basically the two general tips for really high scores seem to be 1) Apply x-mult as many times as possible, and 2) build a huge money-making engine to cycle through rerolls to get the jokers you want for 1). Easier said than done, of course, and it really highlights how even moving from white to red stakes can seriously slow you down.

e: he uploaded the whole thing to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJHcgS9jHU

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 29, 2024

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

tinstaach posted:

It won't be around forever, but here's a Twitch stream of the Youtuber Balatro University cleaning up a tournament where each round you were given a seed and had an hour to get the highest score possible. He got e19, e19, e23, and e24 to win all four rounds. Absolutely disgusting play.

Basically the two general tips for really high scores seem to be 1) Apply x-mult as many times as possible, and 2) build a huge money-making engine to cycle through rerolls to get the jokers you want for 1). Easier said than done, of course, and it really highlights how even moving from white to red stakes can seriously slow you down.

https://twitch.tv/videos/2104090530

I've been watching his stuff, great player. Also apparently he has a PhD in math.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

the holy poopacy posted:

What got me through Gold Stake on Erratic Deck was opening a deck with seven of one number and eight of another, then finding Spare Trousers and Square Joker early enough to ride Two Pair all the way to the end.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

so rude to work for a week on trying to break 100,000,000 on PS4 and failing then just casually get it on switch (seemingly the easiest way, get a mine, baron, get a buncha steel kings)

I wanted a trophy for this

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well I finally won a run, and it only took 13 hours. Green deck, got lucky with early jokers (fibonacci, odd cards, and hack), plus jokers that added X-mult every time you added a card to deck or played an enhanced card. Used ice cream for a while until I replaced it. Bought and sold flower pot because it was too niche. Was hand/suit independent, and only had to skip one boss blind (the 300k ante 8 blind, although I probably would have beaten it anyway). Got to ante 11 in the end. This game turned from demoralising to exciting instantly, I don't even want to rage uninstall it anymore.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

gently caress YOU BALATRO GODDAMN JOKERLESS BULLSHIT

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Skip blind and pray to god you get the boss blind reroll?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

pisshead posted:

Well I finally won a run, and it only took 13 hours. Green deck, got lucky with early jokers (fibonacci, odd cards, and hack), plus jokers that added X-mult every time you added a card to deck or played an enhanced card. Used ice cream for a while until I replaced it. Bought and sold flower pot because it was too niche. Was hand/suit independent, and only had to skip one boss blind (the 300k ante 8 blind, although I probably would have beaten it anyway). Got to ante 11 in the end. This game turned from demoralising to exciting instantly, I don't even want to rage uninstall it anymore.

Won my second run in a row, game seems to be clicking with me now. Got to ante 12. 300 million, are they joking? How do you even do that?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:unsmigghh:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Scholtz posted:

Skip blind and pray to god you get the boss blind reroll?

I tried that. Didn’t work.

Also my flush multi was so high that I played 6 flushes in a row and even with every card being debuffed, I got to 80000. Fuckity loving gently caress

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I was like "what's wrong?"

And then I remembered the click the emoji

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I had a run last night with an early negative egg and midgame swashbuckler that later offered me a holo knife. I ended up declining it but that was not an easy choice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pisshead posted:

Won my second run in a row, game seems to be clicking with me now. Got to ante 12. 300 million, are they joking? How do you even do that?

You’ll clear that one soon enough and wonder how the hell you do the next one (47 billion).

That’s where I’m currently at.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/clr4Qhb.mp4

That's probably enough Balatro for me for a while.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm mostly impressed none of those cards broke.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Aggro posted:

https://i.imgur.com/clr4Qhb.mp4

That's probably enough Balatro for me for a while.

"Diamonds are debuffed"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And here I am thinking "what will I do about Typecast"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Comparing this to the other roguelikes I have played it feels like more runs die early to bad luck. Not much you can do when you face the 'no discards' boss when you only have one or two jokers.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I've had 2 gold stake erratic deck runs die to violet vessel when they would have cleared otherwise.

Whatever, I'll still keep playing that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

Comparing this to the other roguelikes I have played it feels like more runs die early to bad luck. Not much you can do when you face the 'no discards' boss when you only have one or two jokers.

It's definitely got a higher percentage of utter garbage options than most roguelikes