Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fists Up posted:

Certainly a lot more thinking is done when it comes to what to spend money on and when to take or not take the eternal jokers. So many times I've made a choice only to regret it after another round.

madness + a bunch of eternals got me through a lot of obstacles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

Golden Needle would be a fun challenge if not for the $1 per discard. Jokerless just... sucks. They should have at least made it so Buffoon packs no longer show up in the store, so you at least have a better chance at the other packs.

The only buffoon pack I saw on Jokerless was the one they added to the first shop as part of the patch; unless I missed them showing up on later stores?

Golden Needle though is just too much of everything that sucks the fun out of Balatro. You only get one hand so it fucks your scaling jokers, and discarding fucks your economy. I only beat it when I started aiming for a no-discard strategy based around Banner and Delayed Gratification.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really want to see more jokers and challenges eventually

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think when I did Golden Needle I got an early Rocket that solved all my money problems

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I straight up annihilated Double or Nothing with a sick Erosion/Magic Card/Burnt Joker setup when I beat it

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Okay eternal rule of "complaining on the internet" got Orange Stake down for me. Admittedly easy when you get blessed with Canio.

E: Carried me to Ante 11 but fell off the cliff there. Good run though! It was actually kind of dicey Ante 5-7, wasn't until late 7 and 8 that I finally pulled a few Hanged Man's to juice up Canio. Had to play my econ really conservative to keep juicing up bull, kind of a knifes edge.

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 25, 2024

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Been banging my head against a wall trying to beat orange stakes. Have tried yellow deck mostly and I've gotten to the last boss blind multiple times but keep coming up short.

I assume I should just be restarting any run where I don't get some decent money making potential by ante 2? Are there any other easy decks to do this with?

once I got Ghost Deck, I cleared all stakes using that. getting a guaranteed polychrome joker is nice in the early game and spectral cards popping up from time to time in the shop can be helpful.

for orange & gold stakes, in my experience you really need to reroll until you get the "free cards and boosters" tag in either the 1st or 2nd blind of the 1st ante. it's almost impossible to do it without getting that $30-40 worth of stuff for free

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

tinstaach posted:

It annoys me too but the hands page in the run info explicitly specifies "2 pairs of cards with different ranks".

Spare Pants are already pretty powerful and this would let them scale with 5 of a kind and flush of a kind too.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

DrHammond posted:

Okay eternal rule of "complaining on the internet" got Orange Stake down for me. Admittedly easy when you get blessed with Canio.

E: Carried me to Ante 11 but fell off the cliff there. Good run though! It was actually kind of dicey Ante 5-7, wasn't until late 7 and 8 that I finally pulled a few Hanged Man's to juice up Canio. Had to play my econ really conservative to keep juicing up bull, kind of a knifes edge.

I have never believed in any manner of supernatural boon as much as I have the power of complaining. I swear every time I play Ascension with my friend, once he starts moaning and groaning, the Red Sea parts for him and grants whatever card synergy he needs to whoop me.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Finally beat Gold Stake Black Deck yesterday after a couple dozen attempts. Being down a hand at all times is brutal when it affects your econ so much. I ended up pulling Trib and just went all in on Kings and Queens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

where the gently caress is the switch patch!!!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

where the gently caress is the switch patch!!!

it's not even out on pc yet

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

its so over

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I have never believed in any manner of supernatural boon as much as I have the power of complaining. I swear every time I play Ascension with my friend, once he starts moaning and groaning, the Red Sea parts for him and grants whatever card synergy he needs to whoop me.

In that case, I haven't found Chicot on a gold stake run since taking him killed my Joker Stencil build and I'm feeling pretty certain if the patch doesn't come to Mac soon I'm going to be grinding for his rear end for double digit hours before getting Completionist++

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Hitting a nasty wall at t minus 7 gold joker stickers to go (got in a run on my lunch break) - I had both reroll vouchers and was doing it aggressively and didn't see any of the craplords I still need the entire run (Midas Mask, Stone Joker, Ancient Joker, Glass Joker, The Tribe, Chicot, Perkeo)

Can't wait until the patch hits and that's not an issue. I wonder if you'll still need a stone/glass card in your deck to see them even if they're the only regular jokers you don't have gold stickers for

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You've won gold stake 40 times WITHOUT hitting mask+vampire? Thats insane.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Hitting a nasty wall at t minus 7 gold joker stickers to go (got in a run on my lunch break) - I had both reroll vouchers and was doing it aggressively and didn't see any of the craplords I still need the entire run (Midas Mask, Stone Joker, Ancient Joker, Glass Joker, The Tribe, Chicot, Perkeo)

Can't wait until the patch hits and that's not an issue. I wonder if you'll still need a stone/glass card in your deck to see them even if they're the only regular jokers you don't have gold stickers for

Stone does need a stone card in your deck to show up and Glass needs a broken glass card to show up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I got two brainstorms and a space joker and my hands only upgraded once

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I got two brainstorms and a space joker and my hands only upgraded once

Look at this lucky person getting an upgrade.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

No Wave posted:

You've won gold stake 40 times WITHOUT hitting mask+vampire? Thats insane.

68 clears on gold! 15 of them had a vampire, and my very first one had two Vampires with an Invisible Joker.

I've gotten Midas Mask and Pareidolia without Vampire before in a run that really hurt because I couldn't find any mult. Midas Mask I've definitely played the most rounds with of those cards, it was just before I was working on the stickers and I'd sell out of it when I gave up on a Vampire and saw a different sizable upgrade.

Kuros posted:

Stone does need a stone card in your deck to show up and Glass needs a broken glass card to show up.

Oh, I didn't realize you had to have a broken glass card, I thought you just needed a glass card. That makes sense though

Ghost deck's been my workhorse, but I might switch over to Zodiac just to get early Glass/Stone cards for those two.

Checkered for The Tribe/Ancient Joker was a bust, I got The Tribe and it still made way more sense to play a high card build with the rest of what I had.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kuros posted:

Glass needs a broken glass card to show up.

:negative:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

It might be just having a glass joker in the deck, but I'd have to test. I've only seen it after I had a glass card break.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I played Anaglyph for the first time and holy lol what a wacky ride. I don't think I've ever had a run where I was swapping jokers that often, but I kept on rolling in Polychrome/Rare/Negative tags. That run didn't have a single consistent run through strategy, just constant chaos pumping.

I think I've been underutilizing tags on any given deck, but Anaglyph has shown me the way.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm keeping count of my soul spectral and I'm at 4 chicot and 1 Yorick which tbf could be worse BC perkeo seems almost as bad as chicot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm keeping count of my soul spectral and I'm at 4 chicot and 1 Yorick which tbf could be worse BC perkeo seems almost as bad as chicot

Perkeo lets you snap the game over your leg if you know what to look for

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Perkeo is absolutely busted, I've personally just seen him on one gold stake where I was griefed by Crimson Heart

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So I guess you're just looking for a key tarot card? Duping planets seems ok but a bit weak unless you also had the upgraded telescope voucher? I dunno I'm still struggling with gold stake.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

how do beat endless mode

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Nah dude perkeo is amazing.

Pick your favorite consumable card. You now get one for free every round. Do you want your whole deck to be steel? One death or hanged man every round to stack your deck? Or just free levels in your preferred hand. If you're lucky enough to get a spectral card you can now just repeat it endlessly.

It's not as nutty as the xmult legendaries but like, it's really solid value that can be used in literally every build.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

smoobles posted:

how do beat endless mode

You have to kill cronos. This game is secretly Hades 2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So I guess you're just looking for a key tarot card? Duping planets seems ok but a bit weak unless you also had the upgraded telescope voucher? I dunno I'm still struggling with gold stake.

If you got the other one you could also dupe a ton of spectral cards

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It’s lame that you don’t unlock things during challenges

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

You can also get like a Death every round, or a Steel Card every round, or a Strength every round to get everything to Fibonacci numbers or something

Zodiac deck was the way to go for Stone Joker, what a squeaker after a sick square/green start

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
95% of the time the best thing to copy with perkeo is either Temperance, Hanged Man, Death, or a planet card

temperance with a legendary joker in your hand is pretty much always going to give like 24 dollars
hanged man lets you cut everything that isn't directly to your gameplan which means after doing it for a few antes you'll be drawing perfect hands every time
death helps that, plus it lets you copy seals and enhancements
planets is obvious, but unless you have that one voucher this should be one of the last things you do (or only do if you have nothing better yet) because it's the least impactful

also if you get blueprint or brainstorm you can both copy perkeo's effect to get more copies of whatever card, and then move your jokers so something else gets copied

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 26, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jokerless is determined to make sure I only see one of either a red seal, glass, or steel card, ever.

I'm getting pretty good at flush fives though since the only cards in tarot packs now are the suit changers and Judgement apparently

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Power of Pecota posted:

You can also get like a Death every round, or a Steel Card every round, or a Strength every round to get everything to Fibonacci numbers or something

Zodiac deck was the way to go for Stone Joker, what a squeaker after a sick square/green start

Speaking of Fibonacci I'm curious why people rate it. I get pretty good value out of it early game especially if I'm trying to juice the bus or the joker that adds mult for number of times the hand has been played but when you talk about using a duped strength to get ranks to Fibonacci I don't really get it. Is this in a scenario where you've used the spectral that makes all the cards into one rank? Plus chips and a small amount of mult doesn't seem super strong even in a pair or two pair end game build to me.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 26, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Speaking of Fibonacci I'm curious why people rate it. I get pretty good value out of it early game especially if I'm trying to juice the bus or the joker that adds mult for number of times the hand has been played but when you talk about using a duped strength to get ranks to Fibonacci I don't really get it. Is this in a scenario where you've used the spectral that makes all the cards into one rank? Plus chips and a small amount of mult doesn't seem super strong even in a pair or two pair end game build to me.

Basically any +mult joker combined with any number of x mults is the endless strat that isn't just red seal steels (at some point you do need some minimal amount of either to actually multiply on). It won't take you as far but you'll get a lot of mileage out of it, and fibonacci's more fun to play around than some others, though jokers like Fortune Teller are better. You can get a legendary joker at any stage of the game if you're lucky so if it's early you can use it quickly to build your deck, or if it's mid to late, to skyrocket.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Also fibonnaci triggers on cards scored and not the joker step, which changes a lot of things. Namely it benefits from steel and glass cards, retrievers, and any joker that adds xmult during the "cards in hand" step like baron.

Basically just a bunch of tiny stuff that's gonna make it notably more powerful than like, abstract joker.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah one thing I'm noticing is that a lot of xmult jokers trigger on the card scoring and not on the joker triggers at the end which explains why I've stalled out at ante 12 so often with strats that did me well for the base antes. Campfire and .1 xmult on planet cards played seem to work really well but campfire feels like it wouldn't be able to go endless I assume. I'm currently alternating chequered and 10 gold on start to finish gold, are there any other sleepers I should be trying? Extra hand size seems good I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Fibonacci to me is like low A high B tier. Okay, but you don’t want to commit to it unless poo poo lines up really good