Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Popete posted:

10 days until GOTY 2024 releases
and the dev still won't let me throw money at them now even though I'm okay waiting to play until then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
edit hell of a time one time on this game when I was trying to give them their own Old Women Crutches number eight I guess they updated it this time no, because I was given the whole night night

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have a double tag and my two options are:

- Buffon Tag: Free Mega Buffoon Pack (pick 2 out of 4 Jokers)
- Coupon Tag: Initial Tags and Boosters in next shop are free.

gently caress me, that's a hard choice.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I havent actually played this myself, but I think there should be a mechanic that combines Odd Todd and Even Steven into a single card. I mean they are clearly two halves of the same whole, I just wish to them to become their true ultimate self.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Oven Stodd

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MJeff posted:

I have a double tag and my two options are:

- Buffon Tag: Free Mega Buffoon Pack (pick 2 out of 4 Jokers)
- Coupon Tag: Initial Tags and Boosters in next shop are free.

gently caress me, that's a hard choice.

My best run was getting the money one followed by the negative jokers one.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thanks to frytechnician for pointing out in the February Chat Thread that we now have a definitive price for the release: $14.99

Pretty happy to see, that's about as cheap as could be expected without banking on sale-by-volume.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jossar posted:

Thanks to frytechnician for pointing out in the February Chat Thread that we now have a definitive price for the release: $14.99

Pretty happy to see, that's about as cheap as could be expected without banking on sale-by-volume.
Oh poo poo, that price is right.

The developer also mentioned on his personal account that there's an "Unlock Everything" button in the options if you don't give a poo poo about roguelite metaprogression stuff. Which is nice!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
The price honestly feels a little low given how many hours I've gotten out of even just the playtest/demos, though I'm certainly not complaining (except about how I can't play the full game yet)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

The developer also mentioned on his personal account that there's an "Unlock Everything" button in the options if you don't give a poo poo about roguelite metaprogression stuff. Which is nice!

:blessed:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Did we talk about the nerfs from a few days ago? Popcorn is -4 now and costs 5 dollars which is a good change. Credit card got buffed which seems wacky to me but whatever. Idk what else has changed but anaglyph is still op.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

There's some games I like metaprogression in but this isn't one of them. I might like it a little better if in the full release there's more of an indicator when something will unlock something else, but in the demo I sometimes see I've discovered new things at the end of the run but have no idea what I did to unlock them.

In the demo, is there a way to go beyond five ante? I've found some search results with people talking about higher ante, but it might be from an earlier demo and this one is capped at the current demo boss.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

In the demo, is there a way to go beyond five ante? I've found some search results with people talking about higher ante, but it might be from an earlier demo and this one is capped at the current demo boss.
There was an earlier demo that did not limit the ante, but instead limited the number of hands that could be played before you were locked out of the demo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Did we talk about the nerfs from a few days ago? Popcorn is -4 now and costs 5 dollars which is a good change. Credit card got buffed which seems wacky to me but whatever. Idk what else has changed but anaglyph is still op.

Credit card makes sense to me with the way the game's economy is structured. Using credit card means missing out on a lot of interest, and while in a lot of games it would be worthwhile to forego later rewards in order to frontload your build, Balatro's geometric difficulty progression means that an early credit card spree often translates into overkilling the next several antes for little or no added benefit and then hitting a wall (which might literally be The Wall.) And that's in the demo version; extending the game with higher antes is only going to make the trade-off worse because setting yourself up with a wombo combo that can kill a 60k enemy is no longer going to be enough. It's not especially useful to juice your build with a final shopping spree either because it takes a joker slot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

woke kaczynski posted:

The price honestly feels a little low given how many hours I've gotten out of even just the playtest/demos, though I'm certainly not complaining (except about how I can't play the full game yet)

I would pay $69.99 for this game happily

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Well, that's a new one for me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Well, that's a new one for me.

I was wondering why the collections page had undiscovered planets. I assume you actually have to score a 5 of a kind for this to show up?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

I was wondering why the collections page had undiscovered planets. I assume you actually have to score a 5 of a kind for this to show up?

For that one, you have to score a Flush 5 of a Kind.

There are also special planets for 5 of a Kind and Flush Full House.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Jossar posted:

cheap af, could be a big hit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

How do you think the main game's gonna go? I feel like it'll get stale if you're expected to get to the millions every game because there arent as many strategies that scale that high (even recognizing that a lot of jokers will be added to the game the stuff that gets you to 100 million has to be more limited than stuff that gets you to 60k). Maybe the ante 6 boss counts as a win and gets you a blue chip and you can get different colored chips by going higher?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

How do you think the main game's gonna go? I feel like it'll get stale if you're expected to get to the millions every game because there arent as many strategies that scale that high (even recognizing that a lot of jokers will be added to the game the stuff that gets you to 100 million has to be more limited than stuff that gets you to 60k). Maybe the ante 6 boss counts as a win and gets you a blue chip and you can get different colored chips by going higher?

The ante requirements start getting extremely silly starting around Ante 10, so I wonder if that's not going to be where the "normal" run ends and the higher antes are going to just be endless mode/show off how busted your deck is victory lap stuff.

EDIT: The promo shots on the Steam page show the ante counter being displayed out of 8, so yeah, that would imply that Ante 9 would be the boss (compare to the demo which displays ante out of 5 and then has cerulean bell at 6) and then Ante 10+ is crazy points prestige levels.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

There's been a couple of streams showcasing the full game, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zob73pwbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R-RuhV3NS4

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In the livestream he seems to have it in a mode where hands play (animate) more quickly. Is that a setting you can configure now or specific to the full release?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Popete posted:

In the livestream he seems to have it in a mode where hands play (animate) more quickly. Is that a setting you can configure now or specific to the full release?
There's a speed option in the settings menu. I've had it put up exactly one notch for a while.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

There's a speed option in the settings menu. I've had it put up exactly one notch for a while.

Oh neat, I guess I should have looked there.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Had a really fun run where I got a joker that give you +1 Mult per hand played, -1 for discards, a joker that gave me x2 MULT and didn't go down if I didn't discard, a gift card (makes your jokers more valuable), and a joker that gave me Mult based on the value of my Jokers. I didn't discard a single card the entire run and had a blast. I'm really looking forward to the release of this game!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Never Discard runs with Banner, Green Joker and Ramen are a pretty fun way to play. Forces you to just figure out what you can play and play it.

The thing to keep in mind with Ramen is that you don't have to NEVER discard. Ramen's down-scaling is pretty slow, only .01 per discard. You can discard 10 cards and it'll still be basically the same as when you got it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hack + Odd Todd + Fibonacci + Wrathful + Photograph + Brainstorm

I opened a standard pack with a Lucky Polychrome 5 of Spades and got a Death. So I used Death to duplicate the 5 and played a Flush, then this happened.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am a Balatro fiend, give me the full release

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

lmao

I'm sorry

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Misprint is an awesome joker. can't wait for the full game

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

There's so much variety it can be a bit overwhelming. I had a game earlier where up until the second to last round I didn't need to play more than two hands to win. Suddenly hit a bad streak and couldn't dig myself out.

I'd like to see more dollars handed out for beating blinds on first hand or by a certain amount.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MJeff posted:

Hack + Odd Todd + Fibonacci + Wrathful + Photograph + Brainstorm

I opened a standard pack with a Lucky Polychrome 5 of Spades and got a Death. So I used Death to duplicate the 5 and played a Flush, then this happened.

how'd you get to 7 ante?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

how'd you get to 7 ante?

The game increments ante after you beat the demo boss (which counts as ante 6.)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

faantastic posted:

There's so much variety it can be a bit overwhelming. I had a game earlier where up until the second to last round I didn't need to play more than two hands to win. Suddenly hit a bad streak and couldn't dig myself out.

I'd like to see more dollars handed out for beating blinds on first hand or by a certain amount.

I would also like to see a bonus for beating them by a certain amount, if that can be balanced.

I'd also like to see something other than skipping blinds. The idea of getting a bonus in exchange for missing a shop and a few dollars is a good trade, but it's boring. It's not exciting to not play your deck. Maybe instead of a "skip blind" option, there could be an "all in" option where if you don't win by at least twice the target score, something bad happens. Removing suits/values from cards in your deck at random, losing a big chunk of cash, etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The incentive structure is a little bit weird since it encourages you to sandbag money to gain interest instead of spending it right away to pump up your deck so you can dunk on easy enemies harder (which also gives extra money, but on a much smaller scale.) I guess it does help create tension since it encourages you to push your luck and take risks that might make some early game rounds harder than they would be otherwise? Some kind of double-or-nothing type option might have been a better system for that, though.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

LifeLynx posted:

I would also like to see a bonus for beating them by a certain amount, if that can be balanced.

I'd also like to see this. They could do it with an exponential requirement so you don't get too much extra (which they';d have to balance around). For example, getting 2x the blind would get $1, 4x is $2, 8x is $3, etc. That way even if you get 10x the amount needed, it's not even enough for a single joker. But it's still a nice bonus.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Alkanos posted:

I'd also like to see this. They could do it with an exponential requirement so you don't get too much extra (which they';d have to balance around). For example, getting 2x the blind would get $1, 4x is $2, 8x is $3, etc. That way even if you get 10x the amount needed, it's not even enough for a single joker. But it's still a nice bonus.
I don't think this works with the game design. There's a crazy amount of shop 1/stage 1 variance and this would exacerbate it. That said I just play anaglyph and ignore econ and recoup it all by giga skipping a blind so maybe trading all your econ for power is just how people want to play.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

No Wave posted:

I don't think this works with the game design. There's a crazy amount of shop 1/stage 1 variance and this would exacerbate it. That said I just play anaglyph and ignore econ and recoup it all by giga skipping a blind so maybe trading all your econ for power is just how people want to play.

You're probably right, it just feels like waste when I destroy the goal amount and get nothing for it. :mad: