Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm at Orange Stake and sheesh, the run is decided by my third trip to the Shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Wake up honey a new update is coming soon

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bpq1bp/update_from_thunk/

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Update from Thunk posted:

Hey people! Thought I’d maybe start sharing some periodic updates in the sub.

I’ve been working on a few different things, but I wanted to share that a 1.0.1 patch is almost ready for testing and will probably be available on PC in a week or two (barring changes). Console updates would follow as fast as they can get approved.

This is a pretty meaty balance update. Some Jokers have totally new effects, some stakes have been entirely reworked, blue seals are much better, and I’ve made some changes that will make early antes slightly more engaging/forgiving without removing the RNG that I love in this game. My list of 1.0.1 changes has probably 50 items at this point. My hope is that difficulty remains the same level but overall player experience is improved across the board.

I don’t want to get into too many specifics but I’m swapping 2 of the Stake effects with 2 new Jokers stickers akin to the ‘eternal’ idea, since I adore that design so much. I really think you’ll all love it!

This will be the first update of its kind since launch, but those of you that have played the demos will know these kinds of updates are a regular and really fundamental part of my design process. Iteration/change is how Balatro becomes a better game for everyone. I don’t think it’s perfect in current state and I want it to be fun for me and all of you. I’m sure some will be frustrated that they had to play and grind the game when it was in a worse state but it was and continues to be representative of what I’m capable of as a solo dev. I don’t think that should preclude me from improving the game for the future even if it takes time! I may be slow but watch me go 🐢

Just for fun here is a specific leak - 8 ball will have a totally new effect: 1 in 4 chance for a played 8 to create a Tarot card when scored

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mea Tulpa posted:

And that's black deck cleared on gold stake. That was harder than any of the challenges. I'm finding on high stakes that rerolling for tags in ante 1 is a waste of time and also boring. Every skip is a missed chance at the shop and finding a decent joker to start a build. It's worse on black deck because you've got to get a decent base early, and even clearing ante 1 big blind can be tough without a joker.

But... how? You only start with $4, get zero reward for the small blind, and I don't think $4 is enough for a Joker.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

But... how? You only start with $4, get zero reward for the small blind, and I don't think $4 is enough for a Joker.

You get some from spare hands so it's more like $3. But yeah I agree $7 isn't enough for a lot of jokers so I'd rather skip that first round if possible. It really sucks to end up with a good joker in the shop but no money to buy it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Also the PS5 version got an update yesterday if anyone's wondering. I presume it stops that boss blind putting you at level 0 for hands

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

With money from spare hands, you're looking at $4-7 in the first shop depending on luck. Commons go for 4-5, and uncommons or even some cheaper rares are still affordable. All you need is decent a scoring joker. Then by beating the big blind you get $4 + remaining hands for the next shop. If you're lucky a joker like riffraff appears, which is both cheap and extremely high utility.

The problem with at least one skip is you're now very dependent on something good appearing in the shop, because it's extremely tough to win on ante 2 without a joker. If the shop only has tarots and planets you're backed into a corner. Also on black deck, there's no guarantee you can skip the small blind and win the next round.

I don't think my win rate was any better skipping early blinds. Most of my wins came from a good enough joker appearing in the first shop and keeping my run going long enough to get better cards. It's definitely more efficient for me to try every time on ante 1 instead of constantly rerolling tags and swinging for the fences.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just got a Perkeo (create a negative copy of a consumable in your inventory) off the first pack I opened, along with a uranus in the shop. This has gotta be the run I finally beat the gold stake.

e: nope. somehow can't draw a loving 2 pair consistently even after deleting half the goddamn deck.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 28, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the thread title is very good but my brain keeps misreading it as "you can gently caress the jokers?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hell yeah more joker stickers! This is exactly what I would have wanted for more interesting stake modifiers, glad the dev is on the ball(atro)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 28, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aipsh posted:

Also the PS5 version got an update yesterday if anyone's wondering. I presume it stops that boss blind putting you at level 0 for hands

That update came out a few weeks ago

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
why would anyone buy the Magic Trick voucher???! it's $10 and all it does is add regular cards to the roster of cards you can buy directly from the shop. buy default, there's only 2 "direct buy" slots, so why in god's name would you want to fill up one of the spots with a regular card vs a planet, tarot, spectral, joker, etc. seems like the most useless voucher in the game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

why would anyone buy the Magic Trick voucher???! it's $10 and all it does is add regular cards to the roster of cards you can buy directly from the shop. buy default, there's only 2 "direct buy" slots, so why in god's name would you want to fill up one of the spots with a regular card vs a planet, tarot, spectral, joker, etc. seems like the most useless voucher in the game

Depending on what you're doing you can stack your deck easier, but I don't usually go for it

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah it sucks.

TBH I wish those "add cards to shop" vouchers would just have a chance to add them to a third, voucher only shop slot. Most runs I really don't wanna reduce my chances of getting a joker, you know?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That update came out a few weeks ago

Not for PS5 I don't think - it was stuck because of translation or something. I got down to flush 0 just three days ago on the PS5

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
adding normal playing cards to the shop works out when you get things like the joker that gains whatever every time a card is added to your deck

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

it's only worth it if you can get the leveled up version, but that is pretty rare.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I've said it before but the upgraded version should be the base voucher and the upgrade should let cards have two bonuses - a seal + enhancement, foil/holo + seal, etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

Yeah it sucks.

TBH I wish those "add cards to shop" vouchers would just have a chance to add them to a third, voucher only shop slot. Most runs I really don't wanna reduce my chances of getting a joker, you know?

I like the extra tarot voucher for late in the run when I've got a good joker loadout and want to refine my deck. The extra planets voucher is occasionally OK with specific planet card support. The deck that starts with both of them is pure punishment though.

And yeah, the plain playing cards voucher suuuucks. For the longest time I assumed that it was the same pool as the standard booster packs and I still never got around to buying it until it came up on a hologram-centric run and I learned just how bad it was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aipsh posted:

Not for PS5 I don't think - it was stuck because of translation or something. I got down to flush 0 just three days ago on the PS5

Ah right. What build is PS5 now? Switch is 1.00 M

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

the holy poopacy posted:

I like the extra tarot voucher for late in the run when I've got a good joker loadout and want to refine my deck. The extra planets voucher is occasionally OK with specific planet card support. The deck that starts with both of them is pure punishment though.

The way the math works out on this is better than it looks because of the Overstock voucher. In practice you can think of it as seeing the same amount of jokers but with a third slot dedicated to a tarot or planet.

Deck's still mid but not punishment tier like Black/Green/maybe Nebula

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

the thread title is very good but my brain keeps misreading it as "you can gently caress the jokers?"

Buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the jokers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

Just for fun here is a specific leak - 8 ball will have a totally new effect: 1 in 4 chance for a played 8 to create a Tarot card when scored

Oh yeah, I like that way better than the current version. Plus it makes the Oops All 6s card slightly more useful.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tonfa posted:

The way the math works out on this is better than it looks because of the Overstock voucher. In practice you can think of it as seeing the same amount of jokers but with a third slot dedicated to a tarot or planet.

Deck's still mid but not punishment tier like Black/Green/maybe Nebula

Even with the 3rd slot the odds of getting a joker are a bit worse, not by a huge amount but you're still getting a net negative disguised as a bonus.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Relyssa posted:

I've said it before but the upgraded version should be the base voucher and the upgrade should let cards have two bonuses - a seal + enhancement, foil/holo + seal, etc.

I like this, I'd set it as the first upgrade allows cards to have one of a seal, enhancement or edition. The upgraded you could potentially have all three on a playing card. (I think it works like this already?)

However, make the playing cards show up at about 50%-75% the rate that they currently appear after buying Magic Trick.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 28, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

my cavendish went extinct after 2 loving blinds are you kidding me

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

sirtommygunn posted:

lmao

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's just a banana, how much could it have possibly cost?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sirtommygunn posted:

peeled out and slipped away

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gaius Marius posted:

Looks like modders already got two new suits into the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zFBwbpyMyU

All the scripting is based on lua so they can do weird and wild stuff.

The problem is lua can do weird and wild stuff and can do ANSI C level type of stuff

:3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

black stake loving sucks!!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

We need 3rd banana: Plantain

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Got my first win on play #5 or #6! Didn't really think the deck was coming together, but I got an early Telescope and after a while I felt locked in to constantly increasing my flush score, and it ended up working out. I had a Joker that gave +4 mult to spades, and kept trying to use Tarot cards that turned more cards into spades until I was basically just going for spade flushes toward the end. I accidentally got a straight flush once and almost lost a round lmao, feels weird once your deck starts going from "poker" to "get your broken poo poo out there".

What's the deck people gravitate to? I think my win was with the one that gives you extra cash for leftover hands and discards.

e: thought I was gonna win on my third try, actually, got the Fibonacci Joker and one that added mult for face cards and another that made every card a face card... and then I ran into the boss blind that debuffs all face cards. :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
green deck is simultaneously one that you'll see ridiculed in this thread as "one of the worse ones" but it's gotten me almost all of my wins so far

it's a wonderful substitute for interest early on and if you don't need to blow all your discards or hands you can rake in the cash

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

green deck is simultaneously one that you'll see ridiculed in this thread as "one of the worse ones" but it's gotten me almost all of my wins so far

it's a wonderful substitute for interest early on and if you don't need to blow all your discards or hands you can rake in the cash

Green deck is great at low stakes, but it gets worse and worse the higher up you go.

Like, one of the mid-level difficulty modifiers is -1 discard per level. For most decks that's a decent challenge, it makes it that much harder to reliably hit the hands you want. But if you're playing green deck that is also a permanent -$1 per level. And it snowballs: because you are earning less money per round, your deck is weaker, which means it takes you an extra play here and there, so you earn even less money, so your deck is weaker, so it takes more plays to clear rounds...

And that's just one difficulty level, it gets worse from there. It's a testament to how strong green deck is at base that it's actually still decent at the point where you get to the -1 discard, but every stake after that one is a huge difficulty spike that other decks shrug off much more easily.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't think green deck is bad at all tbh. It's great at getting you ahead of the curve early, and considering that's one of the biggest stumbling blocks for gold stake runs, that's a great bonus.

Sure, if your shops are poor you'll start making less and less money, but frankly if your shops are poor on any deck you're liable to crash and burn.

I don't think it's among the best decks but it's a solid above average.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i find chequered deck the easiest. i've only got gold left to finish with it, while my other decks are only up to like green or black. it's easy to survive ante 1 with flushes while finding a decent joker to get going.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I also go for checkered

It's so easy to get straight and pairs with the abandoned deck but having no face cards is painful unless you get an early bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Mea Tulpa posted:

With money from spare hands, you're looking at $4-7 in the first shop depending on luck. Commons go for 4-5, and uncommons or even some cheaper rares are still affordable. All you need is decent a scoring joker. Then by beating the big blind you get $4 + remaining hands for the next shop. If you're lucky a joker like riffraff appears, which is both cheap and extremely high utility.

The problem with at least one skip is you're now very dependent on something good appearing in the shop, because it's extremely tough to win on ante 2 without a joker. If the shop only has tarots and planets you're backed into a corner. Also on black deck, there's no guarantee you can skip the small blind and win the next round.

I don't think my win rate was any better skipping early blinds. Most of my wins came from a good enough joker appearing in the first shop and keeping my run going long enough to get better cards. It's definitely more efficient for me to try every time on ante 1 instead of constantly rerolling tags and swinging for the fences.

nah skipping for free packs/cards is clearly, clearly the best way of kicking off with a good chance, especially those last two or three stakes. I've made my peace with the minutes spent rerolling (and tossing mid first shop selections) because landing in that first shop to a banquet is hella fun. quite often you immediately feel like you've got it in the bag and the tension then becomes not loving it up

that being said if the next patch fixes things so reroll mashing is not optimal play, good

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 28, 2024