Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Binding of Isaac had a bloat problem in later expansions. (Not the boss The Bloat, he was a POS too.) The amount of damage upgrades stayed the same more or less, but the number of ~zany~ items that were only good when combined with other lucky pickups increased. You could go an entire run not finding anything that actually helped you, and doing base damage on the key boss fights wasn't even your fault. That's sort of the problem Balatro has. It's incredible how much one of the common "SUIT cards give +mult" cards can matter, but sometimes you get stuck with the poo poo jokers and it's not your fault. The difference is a failed Balatro run is four minutes and an Isaac run is forty of trying your hardest to survive long enough to get the upgrades you'll never see.

But I'm still looking forward to that RNG-fixing patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I aborted my lovely BoI runs as much as Balatro then they made that game Worse so I aborted the game.

Balatro remains mvp

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Changing the game speed to 4X helps when playing through the first ante on a high stake to quickly rush through and see if it's a viable run or not. Not an ideal solution, but a solution nonetheless.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Changing the game speed to 4X helps when playing through the first ante on a high stake to quickly rush through and see if it's a viable run or not. Not an ideal solution, but a solution nonetheless.

Does everyone not just play at 4x speed all the time regardless?

I just finished purple stake, so it doesn’t quite sting as much that I killed my run in endless mode by accidentally killing my Blueprint with the Ceremonial Dagger, but you can bet I’ll never do that again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think about changing it lower than 4x only when I'm up against the face-down-joker boss, but I'm too lazy to go into the settings menu.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

I think about changing it lower than 4x only when I'm up against the face-down-joker boss, but I'm too lazy to go into the settings menu.

Yeah I bump it down to 2X for that guy

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't get it :(

I'm starting to get the hang of this game though, I've won both my runs today! Once with the extra $10 deck, once with the spooky deck that gives you a hex card. That's kinda cool, lets you supercharge your first joker so you can at least get through the early blinds no matter what the store gives you.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Phenotype posted:

I don't get it :(

The egg gains $3 sell value every completed blind, the knife eats the joker to the right of it and gains double the jokers' sell value as +mult when you select a blind.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm new to the game and have only won once.

I had an amazing set up built around playing flushes and got to The Mouth boss blind on ante 8 where you can only play the same hand every turn.

I didn't realise until the microsecond before I clicked 'play hand' that my first hand was a royal flush, locking me into needing a straight flush to score anything after that :negative:

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Turns out that 'play only one hand' means one hand in total, not one *type* of hand. Wasn't going to win anyway because no x-mult was coming up, but still an annoying way to lose. And I had a joker to disable the boss blind.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turns out the thing it says is what it says :darksouls:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I've made it to red stake on all decks I have unlocked so far so I'm just starting from the beginning again with red deck/red stake. I've noticed that the score requirement to advance antes doesn't seem to have changed, at least not for ante level 1. Does the score scale increase at higher stakes? Been having a heck of a time managing the money shortage this time around and wondering if I should be skipping early small blinds by default, especially if it's for a money tag.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes it increases

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dick Bastardly posted:

I've made it to red stake on all decks I have unlocked so far so I'm just starting from the beginning again with red deck/red stake. I've noticed that the score requirement to advance antes doesn't seem to have changed, at least not for ante level 1. Does the score scale increase at higher stakes? Been having a heck of a time managing the money shortage this time around and wondering if I should be skipping early small blinds by default, especially if it's for a money tag.

Yes, there's a bump at the next stake up and another bump several stakes higher. The Ante 1 blinds never change though, the increased stake modifiers ramp up the higher you go.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I don’t know how many runs it’s killed necessarily, but god drat I hate The Arm more than anything. If you’ve been focused on one hand type it’s just completely demoralizing to watch it chip away all your hard work.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Necronomicon posted:

I don’t know how many runs it’s killed necessarily, but god drat I hate The Arm more than anything. If you’ve been focused on one hand type it’s just completely demoralizing to watch it chip away all your hard work.

Just beat it with one hand so it's not that big of a deal

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
simply do not upgrade your hands and you will never have to worry about the arm

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

yeah once you hit the "pack prices increase every blind" stake level it becomes really hard to justify opening celestial packs unless you have fantastic econ

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

TBH even before then I've never hated the Arm, I don't think its ever made an impact on my run

A little annoying maybe, but I've never lost a run from my best hand going from 5 to 4

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

pisshead posted:

Turns out that 'play only one hand' means one hand in total, not one *type* of hand. Wasn't going to win anyway because no x-mult was coming up, but still an annoying way to lose. And I had a joker to disable the boss blind.

Do note that there is one that is "play only one TYPE of hand" also, don't get them confused like I do.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
After a few wins at white stake, decided to try red stake. It's a lot harder even though it doesn't seem so, can't quite manage to get the economy going. How do I work out where the best place to put Blueprint is? And how do I play if I can't get any x-mult?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I’ve been trying my hand at just unlocking stuntman by going for steel/red mark cards but I am just not getting lucky enough. Can’t believe some people were using that card on the first fuckin day of release

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

pisshead posted:

After a few wins at white stake, decided to try red stake. It's a lot harder even though it doesn't seem so, can't quite manage to get the economy going. How do I work out where the best place to put Blueprint is? And how do I play if I can't get any x-mult?

You pretty much always want Blueprint on your highest xMult card. If you don’t have xMult, then use it for your highest +Mult especially it triggers on every card played. If you have a kickass card like Unburnt Joker, DNA, Cartomancer, etc — you can always start with Blueprint on that card and move it over after.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Won first run at abandoned deck. A joker that deletes the first discarded card, half joker, and just built up a load of 7s and 9s, spammed three of a kind planet cards.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Just cleared purple on checkered, now I need to clear orange and I have all unlocks. Oof was purple hard and now I gotta deal with scaling costs?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay I am officially Mad About Video Games. I had an aggravating run that got nothing useful early for scoring except the joker that gives +4 mult for hearts, and then I got a joker that copied it and destroyed my no other jokers, so I figured okay, build for hearts, right? Even with the joker that gave me a free tarot card on opening boosters, I never got a single opportunity to add more hearts to the deck. Even when I'd get tarot cards in packs that would buff other cards, there wouldn't be any hearts in the spread to use them on, so I ended up with a suite of buffed spades that I figured I could eventually convert. But still, I struggled through til ante 4 by wasting hands and discards until I could drop a big heart flush. I beat the big blind and finally, FINALLY got a really good mega tarot pack with the one that converts three cards to hearts (none of the cool buffed ones, though) and a Fool, so I could swap some more during the hand.

And then I closed the shop and noticed the Boss Blind was the Head, which debuffs all hearts.

I got about 3/4 of the way there on the strength of the spades but I just didn't have enough to get the job done. :(

got loving owned lmao

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Aggro posted:

You pretty much always want Blueprint on your highest xMult card. If you don’t have xMult, then use it for your highest +Mult especially it triggers on every card played. If you have a kickass card like Unburnt Joker, DNA, Cartomancer, etc — you can always start with Blueprint on that card and move it over after.

Wild thing I learned from that BU livestream: since jokers that give you more score activate when your hand starts scoring, and jokers that give you extra money at the end of the round activate after your winning hand is finished scoring, you can use Blueprint to duplicate a scoring joker, move it next to a money joker while the hand is scoring, and it'll duplicate the money joker too 🤯

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BTW, one run I had the Joker that says it'll prevent you from dying as long as you get 25% of the way to the blind's total. Does that let you beat the round, or do you still have to beat that blind somehow? I had it for the final boss blind and won anyway, but I wondered if I'd still get credit for the win even if I lost.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tinstaach posted:

Wild thing I learned from that BU livestream: since jokers that give you more score activate when your hand starts scoring, and jokers that give you extra money at the end of the round activate after your winning hand is finished scoring, you can use Blueprint to duplicate a scoring joker, move it next to a money joker while the hand is scoring, and it'll duplicate the money joker too 🤯

I had asked that much earlier in the thread and was told it was locked when you played your hand. That's ripe for new builds if so.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Phenotype posted:

BTW, one run I had the Joker that says it'll prevent you from dying as long as you get 25% of the way to the blind's total. Does that let you beat the round, or do you still have to beat that blind somehow? I had it for the final boss blind and won anyway, but I wondered if I'd still get credit for the win even if I lost.

from what i recall reading it deletes itself and then you move onto the next round

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TraderStav posted:

I had asked that much earlier in the thread and was told it was locked when you played your hand. That's ripe for new builds if so.

It's because if you move jokers it counts for the next round, and after the clearing the blind score the next round is "the blind is over now, time for money scoring".

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Phenotype posted:

I lost on 8/8 boss, but had that Joker, and thus had a winning run. So that was extremely to handy to have/learn: I thought I’d have to just re-do the battle and hope for better luck, but I didn’t mind that result instead.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

TraderStav posted:

This is a very specific edge case that allows the Blueprint to work multiple times. The only cards that allow this are Cloud 9, Rocket, Reserved Parking, Golden Joker, and Satellite.

You can’t use Blueprint to get like, extra chips then extra +mult then extra xMult

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aggro posted:

This is a very specific edge case that allows the Blueprint to work multiple times. The only cards that allow this are Cloud 9, Rocket, Reserved Parking, Golden Joker, and Satellite.

You can’t use Blueprint to get like, extra chips then extra +mult then extra xMult

Last I checked Golden Joker is not compatible with Blueprint at all. Same with a lot of other between-round econ jokers, probably for this exact reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Aggro posted:

Ah, I misunderstood what was being said then. Makes sense now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Finally beat orange stake on checkered deck by building a perfect face deck from sheer luck:

At the start of ante 8 I knew that my deck up until that point wasn't going to be enough to take me over the top, so I skipped to get a spectral pack, picked the one that gives negative to a checker, lucked out on shop rerolls to get another x multiplier card (blackboard), and essentially had to get lucky on discards to get the optimal hand. Also rear end puckering and hoping I didn't run into the "all face cards disabled" boss blind.

Jesus, I don't even want to know what it takes to beat gold stake. :stare:

Anyways, I've moved on to trying the Plasma deck now. What's the catch? It seems like it rocks early antes easily, but the further up you go the more it holds you back from beating blinds due to evening out chips/mult.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The evening out chips/mult is literally always an upside, but keep in mind that at some point stacking xmult is gonna be more beneficial than stacking +chips and you'll have to figure out how to make that switch.

But overall its a pretty busted deck, go nuts.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah the early game is good but the switch to mult can get real rough.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Additionally, antis scale much quicker with the plasma deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What is the deal with Tiny Joker? The one that gives +chips for every 2 scored
It's of rarity Rare which seems ... way the gently caress overblown?

Like, it sucks, right?
Am I missing something?