Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been winning repeatedly by going for Flush decks and Straight decks every time but have no idea how to consistently win with other hands as my focus :argh:

Flush is just easy as hell if you prioritize tarot cards and get the ones that let you change the suit of 3 cards. Pretty easy to switch your entire deck over to two suits at which point it's virtually impossible to not get a Flush every hand. Straight also seems easy to discard for and get a straight every hand. And they both have some really absurd Jokers like the one that makes Flushes/Straights doable with 4 cards and the one that lets you skip numbers in Straights.

Game is good and I'm gonna buy it when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

err posted:

Do the bosses hard force you into certain strategies? It seems like slay the spire was good because you could freestyle stuff. If I don't get a certain joker for my build, I may know before I even get there that I have no chance.

There's one boss that only allows you to play one hand type. Whatever hand you play first is the only hand that will score against them for the entire blind. It's my least favorite boss because it forces you to build your entire deck around one specific hand in case it comes up late enough to be a difficult round, and it discourages having more all-purpose decks that don't focus around playing the same hand over and over. Hard to say how that will change with the full game though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think I'm having as much fun with the full version of this game as I did in the demo, because the wider pool of jokers makes it way harder to get jokers that synergize well and it means I just always end up taking the most generic unspecialized jokers I can, and occasionally losing runs purely because it didn't offer me any useful ones.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I get a lot of downtime at work and I'm working from home today, pretty sure the release of a mobile version is going to cause an irl recession with how ideal this game is to play at work

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The early hands in this game really suck, I'm getting kind of sick of having to restart over and over or fail runs in the low antes just because it never offers me any worthwhile jokers. There needs to be some kind of weighting towards getting a good joker offered early on, or maybe increase the base mult of level 1 hands, or lower the early blinds or something. I'm not sure how to do it without screwing up later game scaling but even on base difficulty some decks just get hosed over and over by having zero relevant jokers appear.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 6, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

The nice little bonus in Balatro's case should be the Coupon Tag offered in the first blind. That's the one I hold R for every time. I'll at least attempt a run if I get free jokers and packs after I play the first big blind.

That seems like it would be a good compromise :hai: having early jokers that aren't relevant to your deck would work as a crutch to get through early antes if you didn't have to spend your limited cash on them. Or maybe just give a couple random common jokers with $0 sale value at the start of a new run if you reached ante 3 in your last run, or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Relyssa posted:

I'm unsure what number you're referring to but it flips all your jokers upside down and shuffles the position. It's meant to screw you if you relied very heavily on positional based jokers (blueprint, brainstorm, xMult, etc)

It's worth noting that it only shuffles them one time. If you watch your jokers after your first hand you can figure out where they are based on what they do and move them back into position.