Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Been playing through the challenges in order, only 2 left to go. Most haven't been too bad, but golden needle and blast off were tough. I got lucky on needle pivoting to a 4/5 of a kind build with some spectral card draws. It's by far the most RNG dependent challenge I've experienced so far.

The last one looks tricky but I think the strat may be to just throw a lot of glass cards and red seals at it with a flush build. I still have a fair bit to unlock, but too bad you can't trigger those while playing challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Finished the last two challenges. Golden needle was still the toughest imo. Jokerless was mostly about getting the right tarots to hit (justice, world, hermit) to build a reliable flush deck. You learn a lot about strategy doing the challenges, but more for surviving blinds than stacking huge numbers for ante 12+. I had neglected maximizing glass/mult cards, and they make a big difference. Glass cards offer a lot more utility than steel, given the choice.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Was going for the unlock for a 12 round win, but miscounted and finished with 13 :negative:

The panel for current run info doesn't show # rounds played so far, but just realized it shows the blinds and tags for the current ante lol. Probably should use that more.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Aggro posted:

I didn’t think it was THAT bad to finish all of the stakes, particularly with some of the gimmicky decks like Abandoned, Checkered, Anaglyph.

But guys, seriously, what fuckin’ black magic do you have to pull off to finish the final 3 challenges!? More than half my runs don’t even make it past the first boss.

Golden needle was the toughest. You start with the credit card, so it shouldn't be too bad finding a joker or planet that gets you through ante 1. It was helpful to max out the card and then get a spectral that sets money to 0. Some bosses like water can end the run, and there's not much you can do.

Cruelty wasn't too bad. You should be able to get through ante 1 with no jokers using a reliable hand type like flush.

Jokerless pretty much requires building a deck with enough glass cards to win, so tarot cards become the most important resource. Once you can clear 100k reliably, skip all the blinds to conserve glass cards and hope for some good tags.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Aggro posted:

My strategy has been to refresh the first antes until I get a free shop and $15 for beating the boss, or a double of either of those. The only planets I buy are Earth, Mars, and maybe a Jupiter in the first 2 or 3 antes. From there, the goal is to convert every card into 2 or 3 numbers. If I get a Spectral pack, amazing. Otherwise it’s using Strength and Death as much as possible. If those aren’t available, then I’ll make Glass or Steel cards. Ideally, I end up with like, 10 of each of my desired cards and a super high multiplier for 4 of a kind, with all the cards left in hand providing 1.5x.

Even then, I played 3 Four of a Kinds in a row and still couldn’t win. What the gently caress

It’s also bullshit that packs still include Judgment, Wheel of Fortune, and Temperance
Yeah, it's one of the rare cases where rerolling for good tags in ante 1 is a necessity, like high stakes black deck.

Tarot cards are the key resource. Get the tarot merchant and overstock vouchers and open as many packs as possible. Planet cards fall off by the mid-antes, so don't get the voucher or overspend on them.

Glass cards are the best and should always be prioritized over steel unless you're somehow running pair/high card. Bonus cards and esp mult cards via hierophant/empress are extremely useful in the early antes. Red seals are godly, but I wasn't lucky enough to get them onto glass cards on my winning run. Pretty sure I ran a flush build and was able to turn nearly the whole deck to one suit by the end.

If you've glassed a bunch of cards and are hitting 100-200k in one hand, skip all the remaining blinds to avoid breaking them. I guess the one exception is if there's a boss reroll tag in ante 8 and you don't want to risk facing violet vessel.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

And that's black deck cleared on gold stake. That was harder than any of the challenges. I'm finding on high stakes that rerolling for tags in ante 1 is a waste of time and also boring. Every skip is a missed chance at the shop and finding a decent joker to start a build. It's worse on black deck because you've got to get a decent base early, and even clearing ante 1 big blind can be tough without a joker.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

But... how? You only start with $4, get zero reward for the small blind, and I don't think $4 is enough for a Joker.
With money from spare hands, you're looking at $4-7 in the first shop depending on luck. Commons go for 4-5, and uncommons or even some cheaper rares are still affordable. All you need is decent a scoring joker. Then by beating the big blind you get $4 + remaining hands for the next shop. If you're lucky a joker like riffraff appears, which is both cheap and extremely high utility.

The problem with at least one skip is you're now very dependent on something good appearing in the shop, because it's extremely tough to win on ante 2 without a joker. If the shop only has tarots and planets you're backed into a corner. Also on black deck, there's no guarantee you can skip the small blind and win the next round.

I don't think my win rate was any better skipping early blinds. Most of my wins came from a good enough joker appearing in the first shop and keeping my run going long enough to get better cards. It's definitely more efficient for me to try every time on ante 1 instead of constantly rerolling tags and swinging for the fences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Abandoned deck is the only one where straight builds are viable without a lot of tarot cards and utility jokers, which makes it a nice change of pace.

Chadzok posted:

nah skipping for free packs/cards is clearly, clearly the best way of kicking off with a good chance, especially those last two or three stakes. I've made my peace with the minutes spent rerolling (and tossing mid first shop selections) because landing in that first shop to a banquet is hella fun. quite often you immediately feel like you've got it in the bag and the tension then becomes not loving it up

that being said if the next patch fixes things so reroll mashing is not optimal play, good
If you like splurging at a shop for the fun of it after 10 rerolls that's cool, but calling it optimal over learning how to carry through ante 1/2 with a common shop joker or two doesn't make a whole lot of sense.