Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Got my first win on play #5 or #6! Didn't really think the deck was coming together, but I got an early Telescope and after a while I felt locked in to constantly increasing my flush score, and it ended up working out. I had a Joker that gave +4 mult to spades, and kept trying to use Tarot cards that turned more cards into spades until I was basically just going for spade flushes toward the end. I accidentally got a straight flush once and almost lost a round lmao, feels weird once your deck starts going from "poker" to "get your broken poo poo out there".

What's the deck people gravitate to? I think my win was with the one that gives you extra cash for leftover hands and discards.

e: thought I was gonna win on my third try, actually, got the Fibonacci Joker and one that added mult for face cards and another that made every card a face card... and then I ran into the boss blind that debuffs all face cards. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I just won my first run with the abandoned deck too! This one came down to the wire the whole way through. I got very little useful except the joker that makes two more jokers each blind, who popped out two common +4 mult for spades and clubs, and I couldn't find anything better, especially because one of them turned holographic somehow. And I was constantly broke because I got nothing useful for money except the Egg (which I couldn't even get because my hand was full of common jokers that my teetering-on-the-edge flush deck relied on.) I convinced myself into swapping out the 4-card flush joker for the one that gives x3 mult if you play a hand you've played before, and I think I only pulled it out because of that.

Also drew the final Boss Blind that picks a card that you HAVE to use, and omg that is so painful when it just won't pull the right thing

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't get it :(

I'm starting to get the hang of this game though, I've won both my runs today! Once with the extra $10 deck, once with the spooky deck that gives you a hex card. That's kinda cool, lets you supercharge your first joker so you can at least get through the early blinds no matter what the store gives you.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay I am officially Mad About Video Games. I had an aggravating run that got nothing useful early for scoring except the joker that gives +4 mult for hearts, and then I got a joker that copied it and destroyed my no other jokers, so I figured okay, build for hearts, right? Even with the joker that gave me a free tarot card on opening boosters, I never got a single opportunity to add more hearts to the deck. Even when I'd get tarot cards in packs that would buff other cards, there wouldn't be any hearts in the spread to use them on, so I ended up with a suite of buffed spades that I figured I could eventually convert. But still, I struggled through til ante 4 by wasting hands and discards until I could drop a big heart flush. I beat the big blind and finally, FINALLY got a really good mega tarot pack with the one that converts three cards to hearts (none of the cool buffed ones, though) and a Fool, so I could swap some more during the hand.

And then I closed the shop and noticed the Boss Blind was the Head, which debuffs all hearts.

I got about 3/4 of the way there on the strength of the spades but I just didn't have enough to get the job done. :(

got loving owned lmao

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BTW, one run I had the Joker that says it'll prevent you from dying as long as you get 25% of the way to the blind's total. Does that let you beat the round, or do you still have to beat that blind somehow? I had it for the final boss blind and won anyway, but I wondered if I'd still get credit for the win even if I lost.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ok math is breaking my brain here

Disclaimer I am not super good at math

But one of the things I thought I knew was that multiplication was the same either way -- 2x6 = 12, and 6x2 = 12 also. So if I have 2x2 and I have the option to add 4 chips or 4 mult, it'd be the same either way. But then if I've got 100x2 and I have the option to add 4 chips or 4 mult, then 100x6 gets me 600 and 104x2 gets me 208.

what is happening?? does it always get you more money if you add to the smaller side?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Thank you so much that makes perfect sense

It's just one of those things that I thought I "learned" in grade school and have never really had reason to examine again except in the context of this game, so finding out it wasn't working the way I thought it would made the world go off its axis for a minute.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What does a high card deck look like? It feels like the only things I can really go for are flushes and four-of-a-kinds. I had a decent straight deck that got past rank 8, but it feels a lot harder to get a straight than a flush, and it feels really restrictive in that I don't want to turn every card into an ace or get extra cards that throw off the proportion of ranks. How does high card work, when even the scaling on it seems to be pretty crap.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I beat green stake with the checkered deck! It was a ridiculous setup I had towards the end, with 30-odd enhanced cards in the deck, a negative Golden Joker, Fortune Teller at 30-40, and then Blueprint, Driver's License, Cavendish Banana, and Card Sharp for three consecutive x3s on the first flush and four for each one afterwards.

And I still couldn't beat Ante 11! How are people getting these wild "e" numbers when even that setup was only getting me numbers in the 7-digits? I haven't been playing too long but I dunno what's gonna beat 4 x3 jokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

If I have two jokers and one of them is eternal, and I use one of those spectral cards that gives one joker a bonus and kills all your other jokers, does that always end up with your eternal joker getting the bonus, or is there a 50% chance that your other joker gets the bonus and the kill effect bounces harmlessly off the eternal joker?