Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
What's the best way to get my first win? I'm 8 hours in and haven't been past round 21. It's rare I get jokers good enough to get near winning, and one bad round wrecks me. The last game I had a boss blind with no discards and all my cards are terrible. According to Steam achievements, 75% of players have beaten the game so I'm obviously doing something seriously wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
The problem I have with this game, is I don't seem to be able to learn anything from run to run, because every run throws up totally different cards.

edit: Also I'm just bad at games.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I read somewhere that High Card is a good hand to boost, but when I try it it doesn't give any chips because I don't have the joker that makes all the other cards count. Is there a way around this? I just had a run with the joker that makes clubs/spades and hearts/diamonds count the same, and levelled up flush, but still couldn't get past ante 3 because I couldn't get the scores up without any X-mult jokers dropping. No idea how I'm supposed to win at this game.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

When people talk about a "high card" build, they mean one or more of three things:

1) They have a way to level up high card to ridiculous levels (basically Burned Joker)
2) They have a joker loadout that provides a high scoring chips+mult base regardless of what hand they play, so it doesn't really matter what they play and high card is as good as anything
3) They have a deck full of copied cards that give them a boost for being held in hand (red seal + steel cards, kings or queens with the Baron or Black Queen jokers) and they get a better score by playing as few cards as possible in order to rack up as many held-in-hand bonuses as they can

The value from cards played tends to be fairly low in the long run, barring glass/foil/holographic/polychrome cards or specific jokers that give you x-mult from cards played.

The long run doesn't apply to me, I'm losing on ante 2-4. I used to be able to get to 6-7 but seem to be going backwards.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I just had a run where I had several mult-x jokers, and one bad round where nothing came up wrecked it. It's pretty demoralising because I have to get through ten garbage runs to get one where there's a chance of winning, then I lose on ante 5 or something. How do I get better jokers more consistently?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well I finally won a run, and it only took 13 hours. Green deck, got lucky with early jokers (fibonacci, odd cards, and hack), plus jokers that added X-mult every time you added a card to deck or played an enhanced card. Used ice cream for a while until I replaced it. Bought and sold flower pot because it was too niche. Was hand/suit independent, and only had to skip one boss blind (the 300k ante 8 blind, although I probably would have beaten it anyway). Got to ante 11 in the end. This game turned from demoralising to exciting instantly, I don't even want to rage uninstall it anymore.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

pisshead posted:

Well I finally won a run, and it only took 13 hours. Green deck, got lucky with early jokers (fibonacci, odd cards, and hack), plus jokers that added X-mult every time you added a card to deck or played an enhanced card. Used ice cream for a while until I replaced it. Bought and sold flower pot because it was too niche. Was hand/suit independent, and only had to skip one boss blind (the 300k ante 8 blind, although I probably would have beaten it anyway). Got to ante 11 in the end. This game turned from demoralising to exciting instantly, I don't even want to rage uninstall it anymore.

Won my second run in a row, game seems to be clicking with me now. Got to ante 12. 300 million, are they joking? How do you even do that?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Turns out that 'play only one hand' means one hand in total, not one *type* of hand. Wasn't going to win anyway because no x-mult was coming up, but still an annoying way to lose. And I had a joker to disable the boss blind.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
After a few wins at white stake, decided to try red stake. It's a lot harder even though it doesn't seem so, can't quite manage to get the economy going. How do I work out where the best place to put Blueprint is? And how do I play if I can't get any x-mult?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Won first run at abandoned deck. A joker that deletes the first discarded card, half joker, and just built up a load of 7s and 9s, spammed three of a kind planet cards.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I wonder why red deck is the starting deck when green and abandoned are easier to win with.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I mean, typically starter options are well rounded and/or give newbies some leeway to make mistakes. As such, red deck is a great idea for a starter deck, because +1 discard is a great way to allow someone new to Balatro make suboptimal moves while fishing for a hand they need. Starting off with Green or Abandoned is kind of insane, because as good as they are they gently caress with the status quo of the game in dramatic ways.

I find green easier to start with because the early game economy means you can buy things before you lose. Red means you have to survive long enough for interest to start kicking in.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Struggling on red stake but don't know why because I'm not struggling for money, just keep losing for seemingly no reason even when I have good jokers and am getting good scores. Extra large blind killed me.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I never build for flushes because I worry about them being disabled or being unlucky, but just got my first win on red stake with them. Blue joker, supernova, blue print, card sharp and the tribe. Amber acorn on last boss nearly killed me but I got lucky. Also just realised that the boss that decreases your hand level, it's permanent not just for that hand.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
So I got 'Baron' for the first time, as well as a Blueprint to go with it. But I still couldn't get the numbers up (green deck green stake). I got a few kings in my deck with the joker that duplicates the first played card, but it seems all these card mults apply before the plus mult instead of after. How do I play this joker? I was going mainly for high cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Running Baron needs a few other cards that keep the engine going. Everything about xMult is about how many times you can trigger it. Turn your kings into steel cards so they trigger 1.5x twice. Put a red seal on them and they trigger two more times. Find a Mime that triggers all of your cards in hand and the whole process starts over again. Find a Blueprint/Brainstorm and then it starts over again. Find a Burned Joker or Telescope voucher to consistently level up high card or pair. Then any supplementary jokers could be chip based or have an extra xMult (Steel Joker would be good) and you can go off.

I had a blueprint, but didn't have that many steel cards, no kings anyway. How do I get all these steel cards and red seals? Couldn't afford to open that many packs because my +mult joker only went up on rerolls. I think my problem with that run is there were three different ideas pulling me in different directions.