Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pigbuster posted:

Note that they don't loop around, though; QKA23 doesn't work.

That's a standard poker rule, but it's good to know for people not familiar with poker.

e: This game owns and I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can throw money at the dev for the full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Color Printer posted:

Yeah, you can throw stone cards into any hand provided it's less than five cards. You can't, for example, do four diamonds and a stone for a flush, since a stone card is not a diamond card. Unless of course, you have Four Fingers.

Now that I think about it, would you be able to do a hand of nothing but stone cards or would you need to have to at least use a playable high card to get points?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Came back from vacation to find out that the full release of Balatro finally dropped. :shepspends:

Apart from the game itself, I highly recommend buying the music DLC. Not only does it support the developers, but the Balatro theme is clutch for any kind of productivity/reading/chilling. :discourse:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This is so loving sad. Do not be like me and use all of your discards fishing for the perfect flush on The Mouth. Just lock in your hand ASAP otherwise you'll be stuck in a death spiral forced to play only high cards and lose through attrition.

Orrrrrr you could use planet cards to boost your high card score, but you do you. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Which card effects overwrite each other and which do not? I know the chip/mult bonuses are mutually exclusive, not sure about the other ones.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nihilarian posted:

Do ice cream and popcorn have upgraded forms like the banana?

There is an upgraded form? :psyduck: How do you upgrade it?

Also the best single hand payout I’ve gotten so far has been a bit north of 1 mil. How do I deal with higher antes that jump up suddenly to 7 or 12 mil?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

You find and stack X multiplier from as many sources as you can find and try to feed it with other card synergies. You also try to hit your biggest X multipliers last, so keep the highest level of X multiplier on the right side if it's a joker.

What do you mean "feed it"? I've not seen any other cards interact with it, I thought it just gave a flat +15 mult with 1 out of 5 chance of rotting and disappearing. Does Joker placement matter for this? I think I've always kept it on the far left side whenever it shows up.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 28, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Baseball Card + duplicator Joker is stupidly broken if you have multiple uncommon Jokers. :staredog:

Does it count Rare and Legendaries as well or only Uncommon?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How do you deal with Ante 11+ on endless mode? It's a huge jump from like a 1 mil boss blind to 7 mil small blind. The best decks I can make can only score like a mil per hand.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gott in Himmel. :staredog::staredog::staredog:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

What is the infinity sticker on some the Jokers? Never seen that before.

Unrelated, but what special hands do you need to discard or play to get certain Jokers? I just know royal flush and 5 gold cards.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How are you supposed to make use of the Obelisk Joker? By the time you’ve built up your main hand to account for other hands made under that limit, your ante count is likely too high or too invested in planet cards to justify switching to a different hand. :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How do you deal with Purple Stake on upward? The lower stakes I can handle just fine on the checkered deck (the one with only spades and hearts) for reliable flushes, but after that it seems based on RNG whether you can get crucial jokers early enough to counteract the blinds going up exponentially or have to restart the run.

Also, with the whole "small blind does not give money" debuff, do you just skip it for the skip reward or what? I find that, unless you've got a Golden Joker or have enough money for interest to kick in, it's better to just skip. This also factors into the RNG thing I mentioned above since an early ante skip bonus that says "gives money based on number of skips/hands played/etc" seems useless and warrants a new run.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Seriously, why does Balatro keep slapping polychrome or holographic or whatever on these loving expiration cards? :psyduck:

In other words:

e:

I somehow won that Purple Stake after getting super lucky with skip rewards and Joker offerings. I ended up getting two bonus money skips and sold my Popcorns to flip them into the Joker set you see above. Combine that with the voucher that decreases your Ante by one to give me extra time to fish for a good mult card and boom, stake finished. Just the absolute dumbest run with the dumbest luck.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 25, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wait, you can add negative Joker cards even if you are at the Joker limit? :psyduck: I always assumed you had to sell a Joker first to make room for any new Joker, even if they are negative.

How did I not know this until now???? :aaaaa:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Aipsh posted:

But that’s the point of the negative joker?

Oth I do think adding a negative joker that says +1 joker slot makes initially think it should add an extra slot. E.g you have 5/5 jokers, pick up a negative, you should be at 6/7 instead of 6/6. I mean the way it works makes sense I just think it’s worded a bit oddly

No, I mean like if your Joker count is already at 5/5 that you'd have to sell one to get down to 4/5 before being able to add/fit in the negative Joker to make it 5/6 and have the negative trait kick in rather than immediately adding it to a 5/5 set to make 6/6. That was my assumption, anyways.

e: I finally found the Perkeo legendary card. How can I take advantage of its gimmick?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 26, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Argh god drat it, again how did I not think of this before?

For the Spectral card (Ankh?) that says create a copy of a random Joker and destroy all other cards, it can't destroy eternal Jokers so it'll keep those and destroy the non-Jokers. :psyboom:

Basically anything that says "destroy Joker" it won't do that for eternal Jokers, so do with that as you will. Don't just take what it says on the card at face value!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

1) Get the second telescope that gives 1.5x mult for having a planet card in your consumables
2) Get the planet card of your most commonly used hand
3) Stack 1.5x mult bonuses

You can also use it to dupe tarot cards that change suit or add bonuses to cards to supercharge your deck.

Neat! That being said, should you use the original card or the negative tarot card or does it not matter?

e:

I kind of wish there was a tarot card that let you add/manipulate the eternal status of Jokers and not just have it be limited to a Stack gimmick.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 26, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
FYI: If you're really stuck on Boss Blinds where you're given cards face down, you can use Tarot cards like the mult one to temporarily flip them over to see what they are.

E: also God gently caress Orange Stake. Even on 4x speed it's tedious holding R and playing a blind or two with ideal skips on Ante 1 only to find garbage Jokers or non-applicable cards or booster packs. You really need to find a +mult Joker ASAP or you can't keep up with the jump in blinds.

E2: If you're playing the checkered deck or any set where you've got a firm grasp on suits available, just discard a few and sort by suit and rank to figure out which is which. If there's an Ace/King/Queen heart in the middle, chances are the face-down cards to the left are spades and those to the right are hearts.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 27, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mea Tulpa posted:

And that's black deck cleared on gold stake. That was harder than any of the challenges. I'm finding on high stakes that rerolling for tags in ante 1 is a waste of time and also boring. Every skip is a missed chance at the shop and finding a decent joker to start a build. It's worse on black deck because you've got to get a decent base early, and even clearing ante 1 big blind can be tough without a joker.

But... how? You only start with $4, get zero reward for the small blind, and I don't think $4 is enough for a Joker.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For some reason even if I get past early to mid antes at orange stake, my deck crashes and burns around ante 6/7. What gives?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Changing the game speed to 4X helps when playing through the first ante on a high stake to quickly rush through and see if it's a viable run or not. Not an ideal solution, but a solution nonetheless.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Finally beat orange stake on checkered deck by building a perfect face deck from sheer luck:

At the start of ante 8 I knew that my deck up until that point wasn't going to be enough to take me over the top, so I skipped to get a spectral pack, picked the one that gives negative to a checker, lucked out on shop rerolls to get another x multiplier card (blackboard), and essentially had to get lucky on discards to get the optimal hand. Also rear end puckering and hoping I didn't run into the "all face cards disabled" boss blind.

Jesus, I don't even want to know what it takes to beat gold stake. :stare:

Anyways, I've moved on to trying the Plasma deck now. What's the catch? It seems like it rocks early antes easily, but the further up you go the more it holds you back from beating blinds due to evening out chips/mult.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maxy Boy posted:

I get what you mean, but I would kick Sixth Sense, Seance and Obelisk down to Uncommon before I considered demoting my beloved Wee Joker

I feel like Sixth Sense sucks and should not be a Rare card. Anytime it shows up I try to make use of it but it just leads to disappointment.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What is a good deck and strategy to get past $400? I think it's kind of hit-or-miss if you'll get the Jokers that help with money like Roclet/Gold Mask etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

President Ark posted:

get two money jokers asap to start building money. other three jokers are normal score jokers.

that's not where your money is, though. fish for vouchers and try and get the ones that raise the interest cap. if you get the second level one, it's 20$ every round that you put in literally no effort for, which is more than pretty much any money joker except maybe cloud 9 or the uncommon dollar-per-diamond-suit joker. if you get the joker that doubles interest, it's 40$ a round, which is just absurd.

I swear, this game knows when you want a certain Joker or voucher combo then does everything it can to prevent that from happening.

In other words: