Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Popete posted:

I am Balatro pilled

how much mult is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

how the hell can you get a deck down to 20 cards, I think the best I've ever gotten is 34. Need more jokers that kill cards.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well always feels great to try my first challenge and pick up the Swashbuckler in Ante 1 and then accidently sell it in ante 7 and click to next round because you're on autopilot

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Both my good attempts to finish this first challenge have ended with ante 8 and the arm

I check my most played jokers and the egg now has 10x more plays than anything else

gently caress you egg

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just had a Gros Michel last from ante 1 all the way to ante 9. Shine on you lil' banana

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For the Jack and 7s ai got lucky on spectral cards and then a few tarots to get the same suits.

Took a long time trying with the abandoned deck but I got down to 20 cards by getting a super early Trading card to get there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

the holy poopacy posted:

Can confirm, I took a glass joker and had one single break in over a dozen plays

I had to play a five a kind glass hand while keeping the Oops! All 6s joker to finally get two to break at one time to get that trophy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MJeff posted:

This is low-key one of the biggest flaws in the game.

When you beat the boss, you advance to the next blind. On higher stakes, this means Booster Packs will start costing more. But you can't see the next set of blind, including the next boss blind. So you get the punishment of being on the next blind without getting the benefit. Pretty cringe!

Yes it would be nice if after beating a boss blind you could then check what the next blind scores are going to be in the store to prepare better.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:george:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Finally broke into ante 12 with the anaglyph deck. I was saving up double tags to get the 400 dollar trophy and I didn't see it until ante 11. How many tags is it all the way up to the top of the screen?

But even with all of that I couldn't break 50 million, capped out at 49. I think if I found more of my red seal steel cards I coulda made it over 100,000,000.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

i'm now double dipping balatro on switch so i have portable balatro

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arzaac posted:

Your options are legitimately "build up a weak hand at low antes and then just never play that hand again" or "have a build where you can easily pivot off your current hand".

I've done a couple obelisk runs with the second, if you're building for like, two pair or 3 of a kind its usually pretty easy to transition to pair, full house, 4 of a kind, etc.

Yeah I had built up a run using two pair because I skipped a blind to upgrade two pair super early. By the time Obelisk showed up in ante 5, two pair had about15 more hands than anything else so I just transitioned into full houses and flushes for the rest of the run.

edit: really one of the harder things to learn and make choices on is when to pivot to something else. Part of that choice is about if you are just trying to beat ante 8 or go far in endless. There is a huge risk/reward on getting rid of something that you feel like you need to keep winning hands now vs. something that will dominate 3 antes up if you can make it there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

More shop chances, more time to improve your scaling jokers. Or if you want to avoid a harder boss for a bit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

it's only worth it if you can get the leveled up version, but that is pretty rare.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

so rude to work for a week on trying to break 100,000,000 on PS4 and failing then just casually get it on switch (seemingly the easiest way, get a mine, baron, get a buncha steel kings)

I wanted a trophy for this

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is an interesting build around. I got one in the first shop and a Hack in the next and built my deck around it, I ended up close to 800 chips by ante 10 when I lost.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Finally passed orange stake with checkered deck, took a foiled pants and vagabond to get through the early antes and then from the tarots got a free baseball card and blackboard to breeze through. I got to ante 7 for gold stake next running vagabond and bonfire but the small blinds got too big to build up bonfire enough to win there.

orange stake was such a wall, don't know how long it'll take me to finally beat gold.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

orange stake was such a wall, don't know how long it'll take me to finally beat gold.

Well not that long, lol. Took an early Throwback, Bloodstone and Cavendish all the way.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It may only work when something is "debuffed" in scoring.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Aggro posted:

Speaking of dud cards, has anyone ever had a winning run that utilizes Stone cards? Even in my high card/pair runs, it seems better to just remove cards from the deck instead of replacing them with Stone.

The obvious exception is if you have the joker that adds a stone card every round and the joker that increases your xMult for every card added to the deck.

Having a lot of stone cards in a high card or pair build means you don't need a chip joker wasting space and can get more degenerate.

And when you do get the stone generator and multiplier then :discourse:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Aggro posted:

So many of those buffs make the game easier and I am now SO MAD that I spent uhhhh 160 hours already on this game

Debuffing Midas Mask, Vampire and Campfire (and making a few easier uncommon build arounds like Vagabond and Burnt Joker to rare) are pretty big tradoffs imo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quiggy posted:

I've never been able to make Campfire work, are y'all running tarot engines to get cards to sell or what?

Yeah it works best if you can play with 4 jokers and spare money to buy cheap common jokers to buy/sell/re-roll to boost it up.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Finally broke a hundred million (and then some.)

Now I just need to will Stuntman into the shop and I've got all the jokers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

Finally broke a hundred million (and then some.)

Now I just need to will Stuntman into the shop and I've got all the jokers.

gently caress you stuntman

where the gently caress are you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress you stuntman

where the gently caress are you

loving finally

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Running Baron needs a few other cards that keep the engine going. Everything about xMult is about how many times you can trigger it. Turn your kings into steel cards so they trigger 1.5x twice. Put a red seal on them and they trigger two more times. Find a Mime that triggers all of your cards in hand and the whole process starts over again. Find a Blueprint/Brainstorm and then it starts over again. Find a Burned Joker or Telescope voucher to consistently level up high card or pair. Then any supplementary jokers could be chip based or have an extra xMult (Steel Joker would be good) and you can go off.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pisshead posted:

I had a blueprint, but didn't have that many steel cards, no kings anyway. How do I get all these steel cards and red seals? Couldn't afford to open that many packs because my +mult joker only went up on rerolls. I think my problem with that run is there were three different ideas pulling me in different directions.

I mean... that's the RNG. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Early in a run if I see Chariots and Death cards I try to hit my kings and queens because it works very well with Baron and Shoot the Moon, which I always found to be a consistent winning strategy. But sometimes you don't see those and get a Hack instead and you're hosed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheDK posted:

Hey nice I got the achievement for playing a Royal Flush!

On a boss blind... for The Mouth. "Play only 1 hand type this round"

:negative:

I really wish they would allow you to do a straight flush for the mouth if you made flush/straight your first hand. I've hosed myself over twice this way.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

More planets in the shop just means it is harder to find the jokers/tarots you need for a typical higher ante run. Wasting rerolls because you have a shop full of Neptunes when all you want is a Death sucks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of course as soon as I get the legendary Joker that disables all boss blind effects I faceplant on a random blind

good, that is the worst one anyway

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chadzok posted:

Your top used jokers really surprise me, a lot of them are most often low priority/easily replaced for me (Supernova, Blackboard, Square, Bus, Abstract is a last resort but probably I do take it a fair bit, Baseball I've worked with a few times but not leaning into it as a priority). Fortune Teller for instance I would definitely have used in winning runs more than possibly most of yours combined (I've got a few decks left to Gold and just over 40% joker stickers).

Supernova is one that I dislike because it could get screwed over in some ways (if you're planning on pivoting into another hand or moving from flush to flush fives, for example) but if you get it early it can be really good in a long run.

Baseball Card is almost always an auto-pickup for me. If you've got at least 2 uncommons I would say it is worth it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaffle posted:

Yeah challenges dont let you unlock anything. Gotta do it in the normal game

this includes seeing jokers for the first time, btw. It will still say undiscovered in a regular run.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

To eventually get Stuntman was I just playing white stake, forcing my deck to be full of Kings and Queens and then get a huge amount of money (Anaglyph deck was the best for me) to reroll for a Baron, Mine, and/or Shoot the Moon. Get a DNA or use are many Death cards as possible. Then get jokers/tags to make your hand size bigger so you can trigger more of them.

Forcing this did gently caress up several runs but ai eventually got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Popete posted:

This was a nice pull during the Medusa challenge.

I got that in the first store in that challenge as well, I think it was around 1000 when I beat it.

About half the challenges down, when do they start getting hard?