Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I just did my first run and I didn't read the boss text so I got stuck (I have to do two-pairs only but can't):

Is there a way to give up the run or do I just quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

drat, the baseball card is insane. I had 4 uncommons + baseball so I was getting a minimum of x6 to my multiplier every round. Beat the final boss by scoring 184k in the first turn.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

There's been a couple of streams showcasing the full game, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zob73pwbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R-RuhV3NS4

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

If its any consolation you do get a gold per remaining hand so you get a pretty substantial reward for being above the power curve. But I agree there's definitely a gulf between what the game wants out of you and what players actually like doing (taking screenshots of complete overkill).

That's because it's a demo. The antes are gonna get insane once the game's finally out, and the higher difficulties will make it so we won't steamroll the earlier levels quite that hard.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Philman posted:

sort by suit, discard the right half then sort by suit again and the play the left 5 hoping for a flush.

I thought cards showed up after the discard? That gives you a lot of information, but if you have bad hands you might run out of discards before you can make something happen.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

One day to go. Get your affairs in order, it's almost time.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This is madness.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The game seems to score your hands using your highest ranked hand type instead of your highest scoring one. I had a deck with an insanely leveled flush but a low level flush house, and I had to actively avoid getting a flush house or else it'd lose me points cause it'd take preference over the normal flush.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Popete posted:

Yeah same. I'm sure Obelisk is quite powerful but managing it feels like a pain.

How does it work anyway? Is it possible to have 2 "main" hands and juggle them or do you have to spam a specific hand and then spread around so it lasts for a while?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

This game is rad. Seems pretty well balanced, and gives you the ability to start the roguelike steamroll without stopping you which is cool. In some cases it seems like you're expected to know how to do it!

My first game after the tutorial. I had Space Joker for most of it. A massively leveled two pair of even hearts with Lusty Joker (why) got me the best hand there.

This thing saved my rear end twice. 1.5x mult and +50 chips together. Sticking a Hierophant on it made a Bonus Card totaling +100 chips nearly beat my best hand.

Best combo of seals/editions/foils you've seen? It's so fun to just gobble up new weird card combinations and see if they help.

I wish it was more clear which card effects are compatible with each other. Yeah I know editions are different from card types but it's a bit ambiguous sometimes. Glass and stone cards look like card editions but they're not.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 22, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The telescope deck is so much worse than the black deck. Having only 1 card slot really sucks since it nerfs your tarot cards a lot, and the bonus to your most used deck takes a while to get going and isn't as big of a deal as other deck bonuses.

Elman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 22, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Lost to the wall by 27 chips. Wanted to throw something.

Then I lost to the Violet Vessel (the final boss version) by...a good deal more. Still pissed.

I had the jokers that give you +14 mult from each queen and x1.5 from each king in your hand. I placed my queens on the left of my hand and my kings on the right, but after every hand the game would autosort my hand by rank and I'd have to do it again. Then in my last hand against the Wall I forgot to do that and I lost by ~500 chips :downs:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

New dumb trick I learned: you can move Blueprint around while the score is being tallied to have it trigger on multiple cards.

Mostly I've been using this to bring Blueprint back over to Mime after the scoring so I can double up on Gold cards, etc. I might try dropping my speed next time I get it just to see what stupid stuff I can do with it at .5x speed.

What? I think that kind of stuff gets locked in the instant you hit play. I really don't think you can move it as things are getting scored, that would let you duplicate all of your other jokers if you do it fast enough, it'd be incredibly OP.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Lemon posted:

Anyone know if The Wheel of Fortune can overwrite an edition on a Joker that already has one, or will it go for empty ones first?

I'm figuring it's the former, but would be nice to know for sure.

You can't use it when all of your jokers have one so I assume it can't overwrite them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jossar posted:

Do unlocks count in Challenges? I feel like they don't: Tried to get a Steam achievement/my last 3 Jokers and they didn't seem to take. It's not that big of a deal (and I did want to beat some more Challenges for their own sake anyway), but it would be good to know so I don't waste time trying for the 3 non-automatic progression based Steam achievements I've got left.

Nope.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah I won gold stake with the green deck, it was rough. The opportunity cost of skipping early on becomes way higher, you really want to play each match out so you can check the shops for useful jokers that will let you build an engine right away. That -1 hand size really is a slap in the face.

I got lucky and got the mad queens joker + blueprint + DNA so I was able to make 2 queens per match and get a great build going that way.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

By the way, this doesn't work.

Don't ask how I found out.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

Red seal doesn't care where the card is and will trigger it twice regardless, but most jokers specify held or played cards only.

Yeah I thought it might work like a red seal so I tried it anyway. It was the "all jokers are eternal" challenge so I had to reset.

In other news, vampire + vagabond is absurd. Sadly I got this combo in the Typecast challenge so I can't buy the blueprint:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jesus the 20th challenge looks ridiculous and unfun. Not sure I'll bother with it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Einwand posted:

It's not great, you basically just have to get god cards from standard packs and also a bunch of glass cards & useful planets, and also not have the glass cards break and also get them all early. My winning run got a holo gold seal multi card that I duped a few times and then managed to turn most of the rest of the deck into glass cards by the end.

How many attempts did it take? It just seems completely bonkers. If it's gonna ask you to do something like this it should at least give you some kind of advantage like other challenges do.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

mystes posted:

The problem with sacrificial dagger is that you can't put anything you want to keep to the right of it which means you can't use x multipliers

It would be much better if it destroyed the joker to the left of it

At higher stakes you can at least block it with an eternal joker.

Einwand posted:

Hundreds, with the vast majority of them being hard resets after not getting anything game winningly useful after the first two shops. Just me spamming one or two shops, opening the occasional standard pack that showed up and hoping to find a god card to even attempt a run with, I had one previous run that had a chance that got hard countered by a boss blind disabling that run's god card. My recommendation if you're not a completionist is simply "don't."

Yeah, I think I'll pass. It's a shame cause I liked the rest of the challenges but it just doesn't seem worth the effort when it's so RNG dependent and it removes every fun mechanic.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Okay, this is pretty nuts lol

Also, I'm playing the Plasma deck, so extra chips are crazy good

I had this combo in the stone card challenge, it was basically a free win.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, while seeing final builds like that is cool my real question is how do you get to that point in the first place? Is there a lot of luck involved or are you actively rerolling and fishing for the right combos?

I should watch people stream this game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

If you want to build a deck that goes to as high an ante as possible, you basically have to figure out a strategy that both constantly earns money and replaces cards in your deck so that eventually every card is the same with red seals. Keep in mind no one tarot or spectral effect is going to do this, it's always a combination of many things, like destroying cards, copying cards, fishing for new cards, etc. Knowing joker combos is pretty important, but the first thing you want to do is definitely get into a good position financially. That might be the hardest part of the game for relatively new players to figure out.

Thanks for the advice, by the way. I think I'm getting better at that kind of long term thinking but I'm still not even close:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

:negative:

edit: I took the risk and dumped my +34 Ride the bus hoping I'd make up for it with other multipliers. It didn't work out.

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 2, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I finally came up with a really strong deck for endless!

I got another duplicate right after this pic so that's 6 cards with steel and red stamp which also get retriggered by the negative Mime. At the same time all of my J's (many of them glass) get retriggered too which means a lot of base mult before the steel kicks in (and very high chip value from the +chips joker). If I can get more glass/steel and hand size and a good multiplier joker to replace my +chips joker, then we'll really be in business!

Anyway I just started endless let's see what's ne--

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

YES

https://i.imgur.com/RMtkXGm.mp4

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

Am I wrong in thinking blueprint should be on mime?

I tried that and it seemed worse but now that I actually did the math, you're absolutely right :negative:

Either way, my goal was to go above 100 million so I'm okay with this. I'm finally free to keep climbing antes instead of playing on white stakes.

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 3, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

FPyat posted:

If your jokers and hand levels are very good you can ignore it no sweat.

It depends. I posted earlier about a really strong setup I had which became completely worthless with debuffed faces. Fives of a kind didn't cut it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The amount of resets it takes to get a viable run going at higher stakes really makes the game feel grindy and luck-based in a way it really isn't.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How many bananas do I need to eat before the Cavendish gets unlocked?

It's unlocked from the start but you need to buy the Gros Michel and have it go extinct each run before it can show up. Good news is that it's a common!

In other news,

I swear I always get the worst possible legendary for my deck.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Gold stake abandoned deck beaten. This one was surprisingly annoying, the lack of face cards makes it harder to win the early rounds (which are always the worst part of higher stakes). It also means a lot of face-based jokers become useless, like Sock and Buskin, Shoot the Moon or Baron. Overall it's not as powerful as I though it'd be.

I'll probably do checkered next just to get the easy ones out of the way.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tafferling posted:

But honestly, this doesn't hurt the game as much as it could because it's such a condensed experience compared to other card builders.

Honestly, it gets pretty bad at higher stakes. I still have fun but it's hard to get a viable run going cause sometimes you don't get decent jokers to get started (and even if you do you might not get enough to beat the high scaling). Maybe I'm bad but a lot of runs at the highest stakes seem doomed from the start.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I can't seem to complete my collection cause the "cards can appear at the shop" voucher's upgrade never shows up in the shop after unlocking it. It doesn't help that it's a voucher that actively makes your runs harder, so I don't want to buy it unless my run is already going great.

I even restarted a bunch of times to get the first one to spawn in the first ante, but that seems too tedious. At least I got the "buy 5 vouchers by the end of ante 4" achievement.

Hopefully that voucher will get a buff.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kuros posted:

Honestly, run Anaglyph deck white stake. The ability to dupe a ton of money or voucher tags and fish for the upgrade.

Hah that's a good idea, I wonder how many vouchers I could get in a single shop.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Squinky v2.0 posted:

the stake that i would change is the one that takes away the small blind rewards. Not because it's imbalanced or anything, it's just the biggest thing responsible for the run restart spam, at least for me.

If I have no reason at all to play the very first blind of the game, there's no reason to not reset until I get a nice reward for skipping. If you got the usual few bucks for the first blind, you're at least more inclined to play it out a bit and see if something pops in the first couple shops.

Yeah it basically forces you to restart your run if you have bad skips but it isn't all that bad later on once you gain a bunch of interest from each round.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

In theory I love an early Hiker. The idea of slowly bumping the chip potential of your entire deck is really fun in concept. But I think overall impact of it is really low.

I prefer the wee joker. But Hiker can do work if you focus on a few specific cards and make it activate twice using Hack or Sock and Buskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Hiker's bonus does stick around after you get rid of it, though.

Yeah this part is important. You can just dump it later on and you'll keep your higher base chips but get an extra joker.