Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It won't be around forever, but here's a Twitch stream of the Youtuber Balatro University cleaning up a tournament where each round you were given a seed and had an hour to get the highest score possible. He got e19, e19, e23, and e24 to win all four rounds. Absolutely disgusting play.

Basically the two general tips for really high scores seem to be 1) Apply x-mult as many times as possible, and 2) build a huge money-making engine to cycle through rerolls to get the jokers you want for 1). Easier said than done, of course, and it really highlights how even moving from white to red stakes can seriously slow you down.

e: he uploaded the whole thing to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJHcgS9jHU

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Aggro posted:

You pretty much always want Blueprint on your highest xMult card. If you don’t have xMult, then use it for your highest +Mult especially it triggers on every card played. If you have a kickass card like Unburnt Joker, DNA, Cartomancer, etc — you can always start with Blueprint on that card and move it over after.

Wild thing I learned from that BU livestream: since jokers that give you more score activate when your hand starts scoring, and jokers that give you extra money at the end of the round activate after your winning hand is finished scoring, you can use Blueprint to duplicate a scoring joker, move it next to a money joker while the hand is scoring, and it'll duplicate the money joker too 🤯

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Wouldn't it hit the same cards as old odd Todd?

Aces and 9s are odd but not prime, and 2s are prime but not odd.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

pumpinglemma posted:

I disagree, most of those are usable when you just need literally any source of chips/mult. Mostly that’s in ante 1 or 2, admittedly, and you sell them the moment something better comes along, but there are still situations where you’re genuinely relieved to see them in a store. Square joker and red card don’t fall into that niche because they don’t give you anything valuable either long-term or short-term.

I'll fight for Red Card because I'll be forever indebted to a joker if it helped me pass one of the later challenges, and I had a Castle/Red Card build that made Five Card Draw a cakewalk. Among the +mult scaling jokers I think the only one with the potential to scale as quickly and consistently is Flash Card (+2 mult per reroll), the tradeoff there is potentially infinite scaling at a higher cost for the extra mult.

My personal favourite builds are the ones where you can play whatever you're dealt in your opening hand(s) and be able to get by, they won't get your score into the e's, but the right ones can get you past ante 8 just fine.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

But they don't have Showman.

e: oh I thought this was in response to how the poster above had copied Baron, reading is hard

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 8, 2024

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah now you can get even angrier when it doesn't proc a single time in 3 flush hands, killing your run.

or you can finds Oops all 6s and get a guaranteed x32 mult on heart flushes (and then run into the boss blind that disables hearts before the boss blind reroll voucher shows up)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm no expert, but as I understand it if you want hands of 100 million+ the only thing that matters is stacking x-mult as many times as possible, and any joker that isn't helping you do that (directly or indirectly, like increasing your hand size if you have a lot of steel cards, or giving you a lot of money to reroll for those x-mult jokers or helpful tarots) is irrelevant.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It annoys me too but the hands page in the run info explicitly specifies "2 pairs of cards with different ranks".

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Power of Pecota posted:

I can tell you it's been 84 complete gold stake runs (75 base, 9 experimental) and I kept a big spreadsheet with the jokers on each clear so I can do a breakdown of how many times each was part of a successful run.

I suppose the new perishable and rental tags would make it crowded, but I don't know why it's not at least an option to show the sticker you've got on each joker in the game itself, so Completionist++ hunters don't have to resort to spreadsheets.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Power of Pecota posted:

Glad to answer any questions~

Were you using yellow deck for all of your runs or were there any other decks you thought were consistently strong at gold stake?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

y'all been had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

My underestimated joker is Mime, it's been rocking my socks off today. All my gold, steel, and blue seal cards are twice as effective now? Yes please!

And it's not the dumbest thing you can do in the game, but man, completely handicapping yourself trying to support a joker structure that no longer exists really stings. I think I just played two whole antes leaving all my discards on the table because I forgot that I had sold my Banner.