Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Aces can be low, I did a A2345 entirely out of curiosity. They still give ten chips, too.

Note that they don't loop around, though; QKA23 doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Northernlion streamed the game today.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Demo going on pause at the end of the week:

Discord announcement posted:

Demo Pause & Playtest channel
Hello @everyone , I want to announce 2 big updates:

The demo will be paused at the end of the week (Friday or Saturday). It will be available again before Steam Next Fest in October - with a ton of new updates. I am pausing the demo because the release for Balatro is still many months away and focusing on playtesting and content is more important at this stage than getting it out there for everyone to play.

I understand this is frustrating because the release doesn't line up with when many of you want to start playing, but know that I have my game's best interest in mind and I am in it for the long haul.

With the upcoming release of 0.8.8 - a fairly major update - I am making a playtester-only channel for future announcements that pertain to the playtest.
If you are a playtester, please click on the button below to join the channel
If you are a demo player, you can join but you will be just be getting notifications about content updates for the playtest.

I appreciate all the support and the kind words, thank you all for your understanding and patience. Know that I am working around the clock to get this game ready for release ❤️🃏

And also, mysterious GIFs:

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 20, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

Update 0.8.8

Changes:
-Added new Arcana Pack to replace tarot reading, with 3 different versions
Arcana Pack (default) gives 1 of 2 random tarot cards to be used immediately
Jumbo Arcana Pack gives 1 of 3 random tarot cards to be used immediately
Mega Arcana Pack gives 1 of 4 random tarot cards to be used immediately
The charm tag now gives a Mega Arcana Pack
Crystal ball now upgrades Arcana pack to Jumbo Arcana Pack
Omen Globe now upgrades Jumbo Arcana Pack to Mega Arcana Pack
-Added new Celestial Pack to replace planetarium, with 3 different versions
Celestial Pack (default) gives 1 of 2 random planet cards to be used immediately
Jumbo Celestial Pack gives 1 of 3 random planet cards to be used immediately
Mega Celestial Pack gives 1 of 4 random planet cards to be used immediately
The meteor tag now gives a Mega Celestial Pack
Telescope now upgrades Celestial pack to Jumbo Celestial Pack
Observatory now upgrades Jumbo Celestial Pack to Mega Celestial Pack
-All normal packs have 4 unique pack arts (4 for celestial and 4 for arcana)
-All Jumbo and mega packs each have 2 unique pack arts (2 for celestial and arcana jumbo, another 2 each for mega)
-Updated tutorial
-Added new separate area for consumeable cards only (tarots and planets), up to 2 cards
-reduced base Joker slots to 5 for base game
-Changed Steel cards - now they give +5 mult when held in hand. No longer gives any xmult (same as old Glass cards)
-Changed Glass Cards - now they give +10 mult with a 1 in 5 chance to be destroyed when played
-Changed Steel Joker - now gives extra +10 mult for steel cards held in hand
-Changed Glass Joker - now gains X0.5 for every glass card that is destroyed (starts at X1)
-Changed Joker Stencil - now gives X1 mult per empty joker slot (Stencil counts as empty)
-Changed Marble Joker - now gives 1 Stone card per round
-Changed Certificate - now swaps running tally of Chips and Mult when gold seal card is playe and scores
-Changed Throwback - now it gives X1 Mult + X0.25 Mult for every skipped blind
-Wee joker now gains 10 chips per 2 instead of 20 chips
-Hit the Road now gives 0.5X mult per discarded jack instead of 1X
-Satellite now give $3 per planet used instead of $4
-Updated all Joker rarities to be more representative of their quality
84% chance for common
12% chance for Uncommon
4% chance per rare
-Buffed level up bonus for most planet cards
-Nerfed many Tarot cards
Emperor spawns 2 instead of 3 cards
Hermit doubles money up to $20 from $25
Wheel of fortune now 1 in 6 instead of 1 in 4
Strength now improves 2 instead of 3 card ranks
Hanged man now destroys up to 2 instead of 3 cards
Death now only converts 1 card into a rightmost card instead of 2
The star, moon, sun and world cards all convert 2 instead of 3 cards to their respective suggestions
-Changed ability of the fool card - it now gives you a copy of the most recent planet or tarot card used in the current run, The Fool excluded
-Buffed various Tags
Increased odds of negative, foil, holo, polychrom by 1
Increased handy tag from 2 to 3 hands
Increased garbage tag from 2 to 3 discards
Gold seal tag and enhanced tag both now create $1 cards in shop
-Increased game difficulty (Ante scales chips more)
-Modified Glass Joker to be unlocked when you have 8 or more glass cards in your deck
-Modified Steel Joker to be unlocked by default
-Modified smeared joker to be unlocked when your deck has 3 wild cards instead of 8
-Added description text to show the playing card enhancement for debuffed cards
-Adjusted cost of tarot cards from 5 to 4
-Adjusted cost of planet cards from 3 to 4
Bugfixes:
-Cloud saving should work
-Fixed a bug where defeating a final boss was not discovering it in your collection
-Fixed a bug where vouchers were showing up in the shop multiple times with the Voucher Tag
-Fixed a bug where debuffed jacks being discarded were still giving Hit the Road bonus Xmult
-Fixed a bug where duplicated wee joker and duplicated half jokers were very long
-Fixed a bug where resetting profile was still causing many unlocks to occur
-Fixed a bug where resetting profile was not also resetting the deck selection memory
-Potentially fixed a bug where some shop cards were showing up twice even without ring master
-Fixed a bug where wee joker was sliding all the way to the right of the joker area with 28+ jokers
-Fixed a bug where boss can still be selected before reroll tag applies
-Fixed a bug where card was randomly floating in the middle of screen - debuffed gold seal

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

This game rocks. I've seen people say it could be a new Slay the Spire in terms of longevity and based on how often I find myself going "goddamn I wish I was playing Balatro right now", I'm kinda coming around to it.

One small gripe I have is that I feel like Royal Flush is really underpowered relative to how much effort you have to put in to get it. I feel like it almost takes less effort to produce a deck that can consistently play Flush Houses and that hands VOMITS out points relatively.

Showing me cool looking pictures of Jokers and not even telling me what they do so I can't even fantasize about possible builds is cancel culture, in my opinion.

Royal flush is literally no different from any other straight flush mechanically, the dev basically had to be bullied into even acknowledging it with the label instead of just saying “straight flush”. But straight flushes in general are underpowered, I’d agree with that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Disappointed if wheel isn't your #1

Guess how many times its triggered for me: literally only once

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 23, 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Got the face card dream team, love how it can pump the score up to super fire even without any mult mult jokers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

localthunk posted:

Hello everyone, I have the first version of 1.0.1 ready to test. There are a lot of changes included in here so I wanted to have an extended public test to ensure everything is working smoothly before pushing it live for real, probably in about a week! This experimental version of the game is English only and will be available on Mac, PC and Steam Deck. Please let me know if Steam Deck/Windows performance is improved from the previous version

To access, click on the gear icon on the Balatro Steam library entry, then Properties > Betas > Beta Participation and select public_experimental

Please test this version and let me know if there are any issues, feedback or regression from earlier versions. Please try and keep discussion within the thread below if possible so I can follow along easier!

Thanks Balapals

1.0.1c (experimental) patchnotes are attached

code:
- Updated version of Love2D - this fixed an issue on Windows and Steam Deck causing poor/stuttery performance for some players
- Added toggle for 'Reduced Motion', removing the swirly background and gyrating card motion
- Changed default fallback tarot from Fool to Strength (when all tarots are on screen)
- Changed Gold Stake random seeds - now ensures that the first Legendary Joker on that seed is a Joker that you have not won with on Gold Stake (For Completionist++ hunting)
- Changed ante scaling in white stake: 
    - Ante 3: 2800 -> 2000
    - Ante 4: 6000 -> 5000
- Changed ante scaling in green stake: 
    - Ante 2: 1000 -> 900
    - Ante 3: 3200 -> 2400
    - Ante 4: 9000 -> 7000
- Changed ante scaling in purple stake: 
    - Ante 2: 1200 -> 1000
    - Ante 3: 3600 -> 3000
    - Ante 4: 10000 -> 8000
    - Ante 5: 25000 -> 22000
- Changed Orange Stake
    - Scrapped increasing pack cost
    - Added new 'Perishable' mechanic, Jokers have a 30% chance to have a 'Perishable' sticker, disabling them after 5 rounds
- Changed Gold Stake
    - Scrapped -1 hand size
    - Added new 'Rental' mechanic, Jokers have a 30% chance to have a 'Rental' sticker (stacks with eternal/perishable), making them cost $1 up front and $3 every round
- Changed eternal to apply to Jokers in Buffoon packs
- Changed the first shop in every run to always include a normal Buffoon pack as one of the pack options
- Upcoming blinds/tags can now be seen in the shop immediately after defeating a boss blind/cashing out
- Some Blinds are now be banned on challenge runs
        - banned Crimson Heart, Verdant Leaf and Amber Acorn on 'Jokerless'
        - banned Verdant Leaf on 'Typecast'
        - banned Verdant Leaf on 'Non-Perishable'
        - banned The Plant on 'Mad World'
- Buffed Saturn
    - Now gives +3 mult instead of +2 mult for Straights
- Buffed Neptune
    - Now gives +4 mult instead of +3 mult for Straight Flush
- Buffed Eris
    - Now gives +50 chips instead of +40 chips for Flush Five
- Buffed Ceres
    - Now gives +4 mult instead of +3 mult for Flush House

- Changed Uncommon tag - Now makes the uncommon joker free
- Changed Rare tag - Now makes the rare joker free
- Negative, Polychrome, Holo, Foil tags all make their respective joker free
- Changed Investment to give $25 instead of $15
- Changed 8 Ball - scrapped old effect, new effect -> 1 in 4 chance to spawn a tarot when any played 8 is scored
- Changed Blue Seal - now creates the planet card of the final poker hand played during the round
- Changed both Mad and Clever Joker - scrapped 'contains 4 of a kind' effect, now applies instead to any hand that contains a 'Two Pair'
- Changed Yorick - scrapped old effect, new effect -> gains X1 mult every 23 cards discarded (starts at X1)
- Changed Magician Tarot - now applies lucky to 2 cards instead of 1
- Changed Midas Mask - now only applies Gold enhancement to scoring face cards, costs $7 was $6
- Changed Vampire 
    - now only removes enhancement from scoring cards
    - gives X0.1 mult per enhancement instead of X0.2 mult
    - Rare instead of Uncommon
- Changed Madness - now only applies on small/big blinds, not on boss blind selection
- Changed To Do list - poker hand no longer changes on payout, always changes at end of round (won't get stuck on Straight Flush)
- Changed description of Shortcut to include a more apt example (10 8 6 5 3)
- Changed Ancient Joker - the selected suit is no longer able to repeat between rounds
- Changed Swashbuckler - Now adds sell value of all other Jokers to Mult, not just the Jokers to the left
- Changed Hanging Chad - Now retriggers the first played card 2 times instead of once
- Changed Flower Pot - Now includes the base suit of debuffed cards when determining if it will trigger
- Changed Bootstraps to include current mult bonus in description
- Changed all 4 Sinful Jokers (one for each suit) - they now each give +3 mult per suit instead of +4 mult
- Changed Banner - now gives +30 chips per remaining discard instead of +40 chips
- Changed Fibonacci - costs $8 instead of $7, because Fibonacci
- Changed Steel Joker - Now gives X0.2 mult per Steel card in full deck instead of X0.25 mult
- Changed Odd Todd - Now gives +31 chips per odd ranked card instead of +30 chips
- Changed Sixth Sense - Now uncommon and $6, was rare
- Changed Hiker - Now gives +5 chips to every scoring card played instead of +4 chips
- Changed Gros Michel - Now has a 1 in 6 chance to go extinct instead of 1 in 4
- Changed Seance - Now uncommon and $6, was rare and $7
- Changed Riff-Raff - Now $6, was $4
- Changed Vagabond
    - Rare, was uncommon
    - $8, was $6
    - Applies when you have $4 or less, was $3 or less
- Changed Cloud 9 - Now $7, was $6
- Changed Mail-In Rebate - Now $5 was $3
- Changed Reserved Parking - Now common, was uncommon
- Changed Lucky Cat - Now gains X0.25 per lucky proc, was X0.2
- Changed Trading card - Now costs $6, was $5
- Changed Campfire - Now gains X0.25 per card sold, was X0.5
- Changed Smily Face - Now give +5 mult per face card, was +4 mult
- Changed Golden Ticket - Now payes out $4 per gold card played, was $3
- Changed Bloodstone - Now has a 1 in 2 chance to proc, was 1 in 3
- Changed Onyx Agate - Now gives +7 mult per club card, was +8 mult
- Changed Glass Joker - Now gives X0.75 mult per glass card destroyed, was X0.5 mult
- Changed Stuntman - Now gives +250 Chips, was +300
- Changed Invisible Joker - Now requires 2 rounds and costs $8, was 3 rounds and $10
- Changed Burnt Joker - Now is rare, was uncommon
- Changed wording on most scaling jokers to refer to 'this joker'

- Fixed bug where opening a booster pack with hand size of 0 was unskippable
- Fixed bug where the card generated by 'Certificate' was not being debuffed by the boss