Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
huh, this game looks pretty fun. may as well get it and try it out. made it the way to ante 8 only to get stopped by the violet thing. anyway why is it 2 am now-- :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm left feeling something like how noita works [/i]("person who has only played modern roguelike noita: sure get a lot of noita vibes from this")[/i], where it gives plenty of information about how your wands and spells work (stats, mostly) but doesn't actually provide information on how they resolve until you fire/cast it; similarly, balatro gives you the basic information, but not the outcome, until you choose.

that's a fun concept of risk, and removing it would make the game a lot more boring. not much excitement in seeing the numbers tick up when you already know where it's going

i'd like to see a mod (or option :haw: ) that just gives you more everything (slots, limits, whatever) and (maybe) easier difficulty. not necessarily a pure sandbox, but just something intentionally broken -- in the player's favor

also i got my first win today. got lucky with "spades/clubs and hearts/diamonds are treated as the same suit" with a deck consisting of 90% diamonds/hearts and a bunch of xMult from vampire and card sharp

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

the holy poopacy posted:

Hmm, no jokers for sale, I guess I might as well open a tarot--can get a head start on boosting my deck, maybe pull a random joker or get some extra money...

that happened to me with spectral cards. i forget what they were but both wanted jokers and i had none.

Darke GBF posted:

holds R fug dis

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i was actually quite relieved that this game has no story or other poo poo and you can Just Play It or watch people without worrying about spoilers

i do wish jimbo had more lines and appearances, though. they should put in an option like old Hoyle Card Games that let you turn up how talkative he is, from "shows up at the end only" to "clowns on every single hand you play"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
🃏 Looks like you should've dropped that Deuce!

(e: q!e)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"Looks like The House always wins!"

"That's The Wall, brother!"

"A bag of Doritos has more chips than you!"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Vagabong posted:

Feel like I end up chasing flushes as my strategy every game; it feels like it's both the easiest high scoring hand to create and the hand that you get the most options to build your deck towards.

that's what i ended up doing and it's helped me win a few times on the default difficulty. it seems like the most consistent method so far

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it would be pretty cool if you could make a custom difficulty that was just a checkbox of different stake effects you've unlocked :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm sure it will stop working at some point but so far i have beaten all of the color decks (red, blue, yellow, green, black) and a flush more or less carried all of the runs to the end

in related news "ehhh i'll just play one more game" three games later and it's one in the morning :sludgepal:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Fully wild wild cards are a solved problem in actual video poker, as any Deuces Wild player could attest to. :v:

The main problem is as described; it's hard to target a specific hand, which is important in this game, and you'd quickly devolve into trying to score Five Wilds

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's red stakes down, green deck pulls through again. Got lucky with the credit card joker and then wraith spectral card, so I went from $-16 to $0 and got a rare joker out of it.

I also just skipped a lot of blinds in general that time, the tags worked out pretty well.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I finally beat green stakes with the green deck, and this was by far my best hand:

I wanted to record this but ShareX didn't record it properly :argh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
adding normal playing cards to the shop works out when you get things like the joker that gains whatever every time a card is added to your deck

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sirtommygunn posted:

my cavendish went extinct after 2 loving blinds are you kidding me

peeled out and slipped away

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
green deck is simultaneously one that you'll see ridiculed in this thread as "one of the worse ones" but it's gotten me almost all of my wins so far

it's a wonderful substitute for interest early on and if you don't need to blow all your discards or hands you can rake in the cash

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Phenotype posted:

BTW, one run I had the Joker that says it'll prevent you from dying as long as you get 25% of the way to the blind's total. Does that let you beat the round, or do you still have to beat that blind somehow? I had it for the final boss blind and won anyway, but I wondered if I'd still get credit for the win even if I lost.

from what i recall reading it deletes itself and then you move onto the next round

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the spectral cards that ding you with -1 hand size feel a little too brutal to ever be worth taking, especially for how random they can be.

LifeLynx posted:

Damnit, had the legendary that copies a consumable and blueprint from very early. Got three of a kind to level 50, twelve aces in my deck, and on ante 11 the game put all of them on the bottom of my deck. I was copying three of a kind, would probably have gone much higher if it was high card.

i had a run die like that. direly needed a full house, needed three aces, had 15 left in the deck and not a single one decided to show up.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that's an exciting list of changes, though the change to the sinful set going from +4 to +3 seems like it only serves to make those even worse. +20 mult for a flush was already kinda weak, +15 is even less.

a few of these seem like they'll make the really wild scaling hands a lot harder just by reducing the rate of growth

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
makes economy important even late if you get stuck rerolling for replacements

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Do more jokers unlock at some point or. I just having awful luck? I feel like I'm stalling out a lot. I barely see anything with multiplicative scaling and the stuff I see with additive scaling seems super specific. Is the voucher to increase the rate of planet or tarot cards in the shop a trap?

you can check the collection for all of the requirements to unlock jokers. legendaries will just say "?????" (but those are Soul exclusive anyway)

a handful of useful ones are gated but a lot of it is just that there's 150 of those fuckers and the overwhelming majority of them are not useful at the point in time they appear for you

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Since the discard / hand count decreases for higher stakes were removed, does that make the green deck less awful there?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
doesn't the "no repeat hand types" boss work the same way? the hand just doesn't get scored at all in that case either

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it should put a button to let you do it after you buy it in the shop

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
before and after :haw:

i had an :aaa: moment when i learned that they don't have to be next to each other.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm interested in seeing where future updates take the meta, especially as it seems to be congealing around a very specific type of build (high card red seal face cards) due to the joker support

RBA Starblade posted:

My wife's interested in trying the game out, other than just reusing the seed is there a way to re-enable the whole tutorial?

the seed doesn't work (source: tried myself, steam forums).

1. make a new folder somewhere to store your save file
2. go to C:\Users\(YOU)\AppData\Roaming\Balatro
3. move everything from this folder into the new folder you made
4. steam -> balatro -> properties -> disable steam cloud
5. the balatro folder should be empty; start balatro and enjoy the tutorial

to restore:

1. delete everything in the balatro folder
2. copy everything out of the backup folder back into the balatro folder
2. turn on cloud saves in balatro's steam options again
3. launch -- it will tell you there's a conflict, pick the local files (since you just restored them)

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 17, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i confirmed it myself before i posted it, creating a new profile doesn't show you the tutorial, it just drops you into a new game like normal.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PoundSand posted:

Does the tutorial even really show you anything? Admittedly I think I saw a streamer play the game once before I picked it up but the mechanics are fairly self explanatory. IIRC it forces you to play specific hands during ante 1, makes you buy the basic joker first shop, and then fucks off.

that's pretty much it, but at the same time it's short, simple, and explains the game's limited mechanics well enough that it's worth being seen, imo. it's a very natural introduction to the game's basic mechanics

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
buffoon packs showing up in jokerless is kinda funny

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
flushes are the easy path for beating ante 8 since they're easy to make and offer good scoring with five cards

part of it is just getting good enough to recognize that it's less slamming your face into a wall and more bouncing around like a rubber ball through runs

also the "sets your money to $0 if you play a pair" uses whatever hand you played the most, not just pairs.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
finish your drink any time you run into a boss blind that completely dunks your current run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Detheros posted:

Take a tiny sip anytime wheel of fortune fails, thousands still dead.

do i stay sober this run?

Nope!