Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This game rocks. I've seen people say it could be a new Slay the Spire in terms of longevity and based on how often I find myself going "goddamn I wish I was playing Balatro right now", I'm kinda coming around to it.

One small gripe I have is that I feel like Royal Flush is really underpowered relative to how much effort you have to put in to get it. I feel like it almost takes less effort to produce a deck that can consistently play Flush Houses and that hands VOMITS out points relatively.

grate deceiver posted:

I've clocked 9 hours already and I hate it. I hate that it keeps teasing me with cool new jokers that I don't get to play. Just let me give you money already goddamnit

Showing me cool looking pictures of Jokers and not even telling me what they do so I can't even fantasize about possible builds is cancel culture, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Malf is a bozo, FrostPrime will dominate.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Top score is currently 145 mil. I think this one might be over. :laffo:

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh that twitch thing is going on.

wonder how the key giveaway thing would work, could i time it to just jump in the twitch of whoever is in the lead in the last second and get lucky and grab a key? i dunno how twitch works.

I assume it's up to each streamer how they distribute the keys.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We have a winner.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:siren: Release date and new demo is out :siren:

https://twitter.com/BalatroGame/status/1750580542804795836

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm not particularly impressed. I never skip, so the double skip bonus doesn't move me, and the magic deck, yeah, I dunno. Extra tarot cards are fine, I guess?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is why I really hate the Cerulean Bell boss. Feels like the game is designed to encourage you to excel at playing one hand and then that boss just fucks that with no counterplay.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anybody watch the stream yesterday? Anything cool? It was supposed to be the first look at the full game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I took your guys' advice and tried to focus on a hand that played low card hands like High Card, Pair and Two Pair and got my first win of this demo.

Anaglyph to double up on the "Get $5 for every time you've skipped" blind twice + the Bull Joker is very very funny. The "+1 mult for every hand played, -1 for every discard" is very different from what I usually play, but it worked out really well here and the "+1 mult for every tarot card used" gets real good after you have enough money to use every tarot card you see.

But mainly I think the Bull Joker is loving hilarious.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

And this is how my next run starts. Let's see how this goes.

Edit:

It went well.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 9, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have a double tag and my two options are:

- Buffon Tag: Free Mega Buffoon Pack (pick 2 out of 4 Jokers)
- Coupon Tag: Initial Tags and Boosters in next shop are free.

gently caress me, that's a hard choice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Never Discard runs with Banner, Green Joker and Ramen are a pretty fun way to play. Forces you to just figure out what you can play and play it.

The thing to keep in mind with Ramen is that you don't have to NEVER discard. Ramen's down-scaling is pretty slow, only .01 per discard. You can discard 10 cards and it'll still be basically the same as when you got it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hack + Odd Todd + Fibonacci + Wrathful + Photograph + Brainstorm

I opened a standard pack with a Lucky Polychrome 5 of Spades and got a Death. So I used Death to duplicate the 5 and played a Flush, then this happened.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah we know the first two additional stakes already, they're "no money reward from small blinds" and "required score scales faster for each ante".

Having said that, I do agree that the game could and maybe should have more comprehensive rewards. Something for holding onto discards or overkill would be nice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mozi posted:

The game should be out today instead of in a few days, IMO.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Snooze Cruise posted:

just checked, the game is out

gently caress yes. Let's go. LET'S GO.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Snooze Cruise posted:

not. u got trolled. bitches.

What the gently caress. What the.

I can't loving believe this. How the gently caress could we let this happen.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One thing I've started doing is just devouring as many Celestial Packs as I can, slightly less emphasis on Arcana Packs, but I grab them too. I'm always playing on Anaglyph, so if I see a Mega Celestial/Buffoon/Arcana pack reward for skipping a blind, I always slam that reward, because getting to pick up four Planet cards in one go can represent such an insane boost in power. My favorite skip reward by far is "increase [this hand]'s level by 3." Adding 6 levels to a particular hand is INSANE. And it gives you something to immediately lean into.

Try and get those mid-level hands like Flush, Straight and Full House leveled up as much as possible, try to make your deck as versatile as possible to make any of those hands if need be. The "first hand face down" boss basically tests how quickly your deck can scale by stealing a mix of a couple hands and discards from you right off the bat. If that's the choke point for your runs, your decks are likely operating on too much of a razor thin margin to be able to consistently take down Cerulean Bell anyway and there's likely something wrong with the way you're approaching deckbuilding.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, okay, yeah, The Fish is a giant rear end in a top hat, moreso than the House. Same basic principle applies, but I can understand that being a kill point for a lot of runs for sure. There's a lot more careful timing involved with the Fish, you have to know exactly when the optimal time to use your discards is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Your avatars look like they're facing each other and having an argument, it's funny.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DaveWoo posted:

This is the most ridiculous run I've ever done lol

How the.

The planet card doesn't even show up until you play one! How did you do this?!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DaveWoo posted:

Yup - got an "Increase Flush Five by 3 levels" skip blind bonus with 4 Double Tags.

Also, I lucked out and got a Hobo Joker early on, and used all the Tarot cards I got to make this deck:

I'm so loving angry at you that you got to do this.

Gosh, what is that like 6 Deaths?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

There's a lot going on here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Elman posted:

One day to go. Get your affairs in order, it's almost time.

I have to go into the office tomorrow so the game better not come out until 5 PM. :mad:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jossar posted:

Alas and alack, the official release time for tomorrow is 10 AM EST/7 AM PST/3 PM GMT on PC, and an hour later on consoles, unless you're playing on a Switch in the Asia region, in which case *shrug*.

Nobody post about how much fun they're having until I get home!!!!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/LocalThunk/status/1759624336887914892

I dunno if this is just social media bubble at work but I feel like Balatro might be set for a really big launch. Everybody who touches it seems to absolutely love it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I gotta say, Localthunk's decision to not do early access was probably a good one because I can't think of the last time I anticipated a game's release this much. Maybe Metroid Dread?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow I sure do like my Straight deck where I have Straights at level 5 and I can make Straights with only 4 cards and I get 100 extra chips if I play a straight, man, it's just the best, I love straights

Balatro:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
ahahahahahahah oh man the game won't let you pick Hex if you only have one Joker.

Edit: Or two!

You have to have at least three!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good lord, I just made the biggest own goal of all time.

My deck was based on Four Fingers and Smeared Joker to make big hands like Straight Flush and Flush House really consistently. I had used a bunch of Moon and World cards to convert most of my deck into Clubs and Spades, and I had Gluttonous for mult, and all my Spades counted as Clubs, so it basically went off for +20 and every hand. I was using Throwback and Blueprint copying it for scaling. So I was really incentivized to skip blinds, even if it wasn't necessarily a really good rewards. One of the tags was "re-roll the boss blind". I don't remember what the boss even was, but I was like, it's scaling and I can probably do better, so yeah, re-roll it.

I re-rolled into The Club. :negative:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

We've got more Queens than....!

Uh.....

I dunno, somebody finish this one for me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, I'm at a crossroads and need some advice.

My Jokers are:
Business Card - Face Cards have a 50% chance to give $2 when scored.
Spare Trousers - Gives +2 mult if playued hands contains a two pair (Currently +70 mult) (Holographic - +10 mult)
Abstract Joker - +3 mult for each Joker card (Currently +15 mult) (Polychrome - x1.5 mult)
THE BULL - +2 chips for every dollar you have (Currently +506 chips) (Polychrome - X1.5 mult)
Card Sharp - X3 Mult if played poker hand has already been played this round.

And the one in the shop is "+13 mult for each Queen in hand".

As implied in my last post, I have FOURTEEN QUEENS in my deck (as well as 7 Kings and 9 Jacks). So this is really tempting! But I dunno who I sell to make it happen. Do I sell Abstract, giving up one of my Polychromes? Do I sell Business Card, giving up my money scaling and slowing down THE BULL? Or do I just not pick up the Queen at all?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I sold Business Card and picked up Shoot the Moon. I think it was the right call because the next boss was 1.1 mil Serpent (only draw 3 cards after play/discard) and I barely squeaked by him with the extra mult I was able to scrape together. Pretty sure I would've lost with Business Card.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/BalatroGame/status/1761055772065010040

Pretty pretty good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This has gotta be my closest loss. Oh my god.

I even had the Joker that disables the boss blind but Amber Acorn shuffles your jokers, so I had to play two hands before I could figure out where it was. :negative:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ha ha you're so funny game you're sooooooooo funny and charming

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Any advice on beating Black Stake? I've been slamming my head against it for a couple days now on Ghost Deck and not really getting anywhere.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My advice for getting a full house is to get two pairs in your hand, discard everything else, get three pairs in hand, use your last discard on everything else, get four pairs in hand, get frustrated, carefully examine your remaining cards in deck to determine the best odds you have to get a third copy of one of your cards in hand to show up, play a two pair for almost no points to make room in your hand, immediately draw a third copy of one of the pairs you got rid of and die.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It would be nice if some of your levels on lesser hands fed into the level of their greater versions, like if my levels on flush and full house contributed a couple levels to flush house to make it easier to transition into that in the late game.

Maybe the dev can make a deck like that. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What happens if you take it on Ante 1?