Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been winning repeatedly by going for Flush decks and Straight decks every time but have no idea how to consistently win with other hands as my focus :argh:

Flush is just easy as hell if you prioritize tarot cards and get the ones that let you change the suit of 3 cards. Pretty easy to switch your entire deck over to two suits at which point it's virtually impossible to not get a Flush every hand. Straight also seems easy to discard for and get a straight every hand. And they both have some really absurd Jokers like the one that makes Flushes/Straights doable with 4 cards and the one that lets you skip numbers in Straights.

Game is good and I'm gonna buy it when it comes out.

Had all the good jokers that worked with straights and just lost to the Bell boss because it kept auto-selecting cards that didn't work with straights. I won almost every round before that with royal flushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

There's one boss that only allows you to play one hand type. Whatever hand you play first is the only hand that will score against them for the entire blind. It's my least favorite boss because it forces you to build your entire deck around one specific hand in case it comes up late enough to be a difficult round, and it discourages having more all-purpose decks that don't focus around playing the same hand over and over. Hard to say how that will change with the full game though.

In the full release with a wider variety of bosses, it'll probably become harder to build around maybe seeing them. I avoid club flush decks because of The Club, but I imagine there'll be one for the other suits in the full version.

There's a few UI updates they should make. Give us the option to go back to a shop once clicking out of it; at least once every three runs I have to yell at myself for not buying something. I almost always go into the last boss with way too much money. I always hated when I went into the Mom boss fight in The Binding of Isaac not parsing that it was the Depths II and couldn't go back to the main floor to get the shop/item room I skipped.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My least favorite demo deck is the one that starts with 2x The Fool. Somehow no matter what tarot I copy my deck is bad. You'd think changing nine cards to one suit would guarantee a victory given how broken flushes are, but no.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Oh poo poo, that price is right.

The developer also mentioned on his personal account that there's an "Unlock Everything" button in the options if you don't give a poo poo about roguelite metaprogression stuff. Which is nice!

There's some games I like metaprogression in but this isn't one of them. I might like it a little better if in the full release there's more of an indicator when something will unlock something else, but in the demo I sometimes see I've discovered new things at the end of the run but have no idea what I did to unlock them.

In the demo, is there a way to go beyond five ante? I've found some search results with people talking about higher ante, but it might be from an earlier demo and this one is capped at the current demo boss.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

faantastic posted:

There's so much variety it can be a bit overwhelming. I had a game earlier where up until the second to last round I didn't need to play more than two hands to win. Suddenly hit a bad streak and couldn't dig myself out.

I'd like to see more dollars handed out for beating blinds on first hand or by a certain amount.

I would also like to see a bonus for beating them by a certain amount, if that can be balanced.

I'd also like to see something other than skipping blinds. The idea of getting a bonus in exchange for missing a shop and a few dollars is a good trade, but it's boring. It's not exciting to not play your deck. Maybe instead of a "skip blind" option, there could be an "all in" option where if you don't win by at least twice the target score, something bad happens. Removing suits/values from cards in your deck at random, losing a big chunk of cash, etc.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There's no reason The Fool tarot cards don't create Jokers instead of Judgement. That needs to be fixed in the next five days, what the hell

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Loading this up on my Switch and bringing it to work this week. I hope the touch controls are good!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to buy this on the Switch and PC aren't I? And then again when the currently unannounced Android port comes out, so I don't have to lug my Switch around.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Immediately clicked Unlock All and don't regret it. The method this game has for unlocking metaprogression where you need to pick them when they come up even if they brick your run sucks... but everything else about this game owns.

I didn't see it, but is there a "give me a random deck" option? Because that would be endless amounts of entertainment.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I love the supernova joker

I think I am too dumb for obelisk right now, I keep accidentally resetting it

I'm too dumb for any of the jokers that make you do work to not reset their bonuses.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Wheel of Fortune has only ever worked for me like twice. It's crazy how often it doesn't hit for a 1 in 4 chance

It's a 1 in 5 chance on the Switch version which is even worse. I'll keep buying that garbage tho

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Oh then I'm just misremembering

No I have a strong recollection of it being a 1 in 4 on PC. The Switch version is 1.0.0c and PC is 1.0.0j. I knew there'd be a delay in updates as console versions have to go through more approval to go live.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

junan_paalla posted:

I've poured more hours into this over the past two days than is reasonable and won at least one run with all of the decks you unlock at normal difficulty. I still think the game would benefit from representing the different decks with marketable little guys you can root for, and the blinds with bad guys I can get mad at for tanking my run, but that might just be me.
The visual style and direction is really nice, though I did turn off the crt effect and screen shake almost immediately, and I like how it's just all about cards. But maybe just a small neat illustration of a themed king/queen/joker to represent the boss? The symbols don't really do it for me.

I appreciate it for this actually. It'd be so easy to ruin some of the appeal with bad theming. It might have gotten overlooked if it looked like any other fantasy deckbuilder, for instance.

Unlucky7 posted:

Today I realized (or remembered) that I could discard up to 5 cards at a time. And I learned that playing a hand with cards that do not contribute have those non-contributing cards not count as discards.

A big break for me in the demo was realizing I could play hands of less than five cards to score hands such as two pair.

A bigger break for me now would be to reverse that and remember I don't have to play less than five cards, and sometimes playing two pair with a spare 3 is like a scoring hand plus free discard. But that'd be expecting me not to outthink myself.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well deck thinning is just one strategy, a welcoming difference to most deck builders where it's the only strategy. Thinning a deck of 52 isn't easy, but it's good when you've got a full house or four of a kind run like the one I just had. Unfortunately I was playing the black deck and ended up less than 200 chips short of winning.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

He made it into a Magic card

https://scryfall.com/card/pip/71/wild-wasteland

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My daughter who has never played a card game more complex than War watched me play this exactly once. She asked to play, so I gave her the Switch controller and she proceeded to dunk on the game with only minimal tips from me like "that pack lets you modify cards in your deck". I can't stress the low level of help I was giving - felt like I was watching a poker hustler at work. Like "Is this anything?" as she doesn't wait for an answer and plays a straight flush.

Maybe they're playing cards at lunch in 6th grade.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The jokers that change their required suits/values every round should have a little spot on their graphic telling you what it is without having to hover over it. On the Switch touchscreen you have to long press on it and wiggle your finger out of the way to see what it is.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Using one of my Posts on this site to write a message of appreciation to the game for letting us take a victory lap. Every single roguelike I play, if I get a bonkers run I want to keep going to see how far I can push it, but they all end after the last boss or secret last boss. I can't think of another that asks me if I want to keep going after a win.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Played all day at work on small screen. At last, I can come home, relax, and play Balatro on big screen.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I got the joker that levels up the first discarded hand and copied it twice. Ended the final ante with a level 48 flush. I'm sure there's better and it wasn't as high scoring as I'd like due to no multi-mults or whatever you want to call them, but it was fun.

DaveWoo posted:

I just discovered that Blueprint doesn't work with the Joker that doubles all probabilities, that's a bummer :(

I just want the Switch to update so probabilities are 1 in 4 instead of 1 in 5. :(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Black stake checkered deck is harder than it sounds. I restart for something good and still get destroyed when my flush or straight flush decks can't get there.

Eternal Jokers should be part of the main game, maybe with a tarot or spectral card. They can be a benefit sometimes, like with the wild joker that destroys a random one. Do they work the way I want with the Knife Joker?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

once the antes start scaling faster on higher stakes, there are some bosses that if they show up in later antes and they hard counter your deck, you are loving dead the instant you enter the ante. there is no way you can pivot without ridiculous luck. it is so frustrating lmao

Yeah there's no avoiding it. I keep getting the "all cards count as face cards" and build face card synergy that then falls apart against a couple of the bosses. I don't know what solution I'd offer if I was developing the game.

You're the guy who did the Isaac videos aren't you? Those were helpful back when I was playing Flash Isaac.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

I think Black stake is my preferred difficulty level. Eternal jokers open up some really interesting strategies, purple scaling is a motherfucker, and -1 discard really hampers things in general. Orange and gold are just not very fun at all.

Me too. Even then, the balance isn't great. I don't know what the dev can do about it given the constraints of having to work with the rules of the poker deck. Best idea I could come up with is a $20 boss reroll and the ability to disable your own jokers for a round. It's a card in the game so it's supposed to be viable, but Smeared Joker disables half your deck in the best case scenario against four different bosses. Pareidolia enables so many rich strategies that are run-enders against multiple bosses.

It's boring as hell but the best strategies that don't eat poo poo if you get unlucky and pull the wrong boss blind are high card, pair, two pair, and three of a kind. If you want to win with style, it's completely out of your control whether a boss ends your fun.

This is at higher difficulties, I want to point out. At lower ones, depending on the deck, it's well balanced and you can usually power through the bad matchups with good hands and jokers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The early hands in this game really suck, I'm getting kind of sick of having to restart over and over or fail runs in the low antes just because it never offers me any worthwhile jokers. There needs to be some kind of weighting towards getting a good joker offered early on, or maybe increase the base mult of level 1 hands

I keep thinking this too, but there has to be some friction or it'll just be holding R to get what you want. Then when you get what you want right away, there'll just be a new level of the start of a run sucking. Players will always get bored of whatever early game is offered. It's much less noticeable if you aren't trying to chase higher and higher stakes, which as mentioned this game kind of falls apart trying to accomplish.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Arzaac posted:

Genuinely it's why Slay the Spire's Neow bonus is such a good mechanic. It's random each time, gives you a nice little bonus for the run, and disincentivizes restarts because you get a weaker bonus if you don't at least reach the act 1 boss.

Here though, yeah, sometimes I just hit the R button even if I'm not losing, just because my ante 1/2 was a little weak and I could try for something better.

The nice little bonus in Balatro's case should be the Coupon Tag offered in the first blind. That's the one I hold R for every time. I'll at least attempt a run if I get free jokers and packs after I play the first big blind.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

My new run is starting with "everythings a face card" "turn your face cards gold when played' "$5 for discarding 3 faces."

Then I got the -1ante. So I guess I'm rushing big money. Auspicious!

I keep getting this with Vampire. Turn them gold, then Vampire bleeds them for mult. It's so good except it summons The Plant.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The joker that gets 0.5x mult and eats a joker makes higher stakes much easier. I nearly expect them to nerf it so it only gets a bonus if it actually destroys a joker. I just cleared Checkered gold with it in my first shop, just throwing out high cards for 750k chips.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Northernlion's the best. I'm happy for him that people are discovering him through Balatro.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I swear one of these days I'm going to lose, then break out the hypergeometic calculator, see that I had a 99.899999999% chance to draw one of the sixteen aces left in my deck after using all my discards and throw-away hands, and uninstall.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Starting to bang my head against the wall in black stakes and find it not fun. Too much rng where a bad boss or very unlucky start can end an otherwise good run. I think red stakes might be my new default until the patch that addresses rng.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
In the AMA on Reddit (there was a good recap posted some pages back), the developer said they know RNG at higher stakes is a problem. Game's good at lower stakes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Binding of Isaac had a bloat problem in later expansions. (Not the boss The Bloat, he was a POS too.) The amount of damage upgrades stayed the same more or less, but the number of ~zany~ items that were only good when combined with other lucky pickups increased. You could go an entire run not finding anything that actually helped you, and doing base damage on the key boss fights wasn't even your fault. That's sort of the problem Balatro has. It's incredible how much one of the common "SUIT cards give +mult" cards can matter, but sometimes you get stuck with the poo poo jokers and it's not your fault. The difference is a failed Balatro run is four minutes and an Isaac run is forty of trying your hardest to survive long enough to get the upgrades you'll never see.

But I'm still looking forward to that RNG-fixing patch.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Changing the game speed to 4X helps when playing through the first ante on a high stake to quickly rush through and see if it's a viable run or not. Not an ideal solution, but a solution nonetheless.

I think about changing it lower than 4x only when I'm up against the face-down-joker boss, but I'm too lazy to go into the settings menu.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, had the legendary that copies a consumable and blueprint from very early. Got three of a kind to level 50, twelve aces in my deck, and on ante 11 the game put all of them on the bottom of my deck. I was copying three of a kind, would probably have gone much higher if it was high card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I swear, this game knows when you want a certain Joker or voucher combo then does everything it can to prevent that from happening.

In other words:

I had both of the clearance sale vouchers and both the extra shop card vouchers. Plus Blueprint on the Joker that adds a sealed card. I rolled over and over but never saw the Joker that adds mult when you add a card. It would have been insane. Instead I lost in ante 11 like usual.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Campfire needed a nerf, though now I wonder if it's just bad. Maybe there should be a way for it to keep some percentage of its scaling, just because there are now other jokers that continue to grow x-mult.

I haven't taken Vampire in a while just because it's easy to win a run with it, but hard to go past ante 8 with, but I suppose that needed a nerf also. Every time Midas or Vampire triggered off a non-scoring card I was surprised anyway.

Burnt Joker and Vagabond are pretty bad rares. Most of the rares offer huge benefits to score. If you don't get Burnt Joker in the first few rounds, it's very hard to scale anything that's not on the bottom tier of hands. And those get small bonuses for leveling up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Still can't make it into the E's despite playing on White stake over and over. Feels bad man. I should watch some videos on strategies.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I just lost a promising run (two Barons, Mime, 13x Canio with room to grow, Perkio with a Death in my consumable area, and about half my deck as red seal steel Kings). I was definitely looking at my first e20+ run.

Why did I lose? I had unlimited rerolls on the boss blind, and simply misclicked Next Round -- when The Plant was the boss. Sigh.

I wish the game had an Undo button.

Similar here. I had red steel kings thanks to DNA. Blueprint on Baron. Had a boss reroll, but decided to buy a Mercury instead of rerolling, telling myself I'd do it next round. But I forgot to reroll.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The hunt is over, I got into high Es. Blueprint and Brainstorm on Baron, which had to be on the left for Brainstorm to work, which aside from a handful of non-red-seal kings was the only thing keeping me from going to whatever the end of Balatro is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
if self.ability.name == 'Space Joker' then {
return false;
}