Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think I'll ever be able to resist getting a negative joker. I guess it's similar to buying another voucher but jokers tend to be better ime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

I really think there should be a voucher that lets you destroy cards in the shop for a small fee.
I kindof wish card removal was a more common mechanic in general so there could be more emphasis on pruning your deck into something that can produce good hands. Seems like the better strategy is usually to just amass a constant combination of +chips/+mult/*mult on jokers so you don't care too much about what hand you're playing.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 6, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blueprint + Marble Joker + DNA + heavily upgraded pants + Hologram was a pretty amazing combo, it's fun being able to triple-dip on Blueprint. Still only made it to Ante 12 though, I guess because even my quadratic scaling couldn't keep up with the geometric scaling of the Blinds.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

:same:

Even in a Hack deck the wee joker is going to be about double the benefit on average, and the bonus applies to all cards including new ones (which is important if you get a cool card from a playing card booster.) Even for a rare vs. uncommon it seems like a big gap.
Wee Joker is stronger in general but Hiker does fill a slightly different space since you can sell it and continue to enjoy the benefits it gave you previously.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think having it count all cards played, not just scored would be the best fix
I'd like that for an initial upgrade, might make it somewhat consistent for a High Card build at least

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe it could be introduced as a feature at higher stake levels where the playerbase will be less casual?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 13, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Missing my favourite thing about four finger straight flushes (the 4 cards that make it a flush don't have to be the same 4 cards that make it a straight)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm not expecting deep story/gameplay integration but it does seem like the game could use some kind of payoff involving Jimbo or a more exciting final boss than just the ante 8 crew. Might be like Slay the Spire where a 'true' boss is added later.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I could believe the gold deck is better on lower ante. You'd probably put Blue Deck above it at higher antes though since it's just so critical to not whiff at the first couple of shops, and getting a guaranteed 20% more points per round (or +$1 if you don't need that) gives you more breathing room.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The stone tarot cards were decent on a Ride the Bus/Square Joker/High Card run I had, since I could use them to eliminate the face cards I would never want to play anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It remembers the 'base card', yeah - it will also reappear if you apply another enhancement to the stone card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Getting a whole extra ante to try and find a joker that will let you transition to ante 11/12 is very valuable

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine it could also start to get quite complex for the game to score a hand with multiple rank wildcards. For the suit wildcards you're only checking for flushes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thinking about it while brute forcing it would be hard you could probably adjust the score checker to account for numerical wildcards fairly easily. Like if you have x wildcards and 5-x non-wildcards then all you have to do (barring making sure to treat Ace as both 1 and 14) to check for a straight is to make sure that the non-wildcards 1) are all different and 2) the highest card is a maximum of 4 greater than the lowest card. And any given set can just be upgraded by one rank for each wildcard you have (IE High Card -> Pair -> Three -> Four -> Five) while 2 Pair becomes a Full House.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 21, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The wild thing is that a Vampire + Blueprint setup is still only quadratic scaling (or quartic scaling on the Plasma Deck, I guess) and will rapidly fall behind the greater-than-exponential-growth of the blinds. One of the "in-hand" multiplication builds seems like the only real way to stack multiplications repeatedly and get a long way into Endless - I had one just now which got me to Ante 14 and probably could've got me further if I managed my deck better/I didn't get really unlucky on one of the blinds and fail to get a hand full of Kings for the first time in ages.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 21, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's good as long as you can get more value than +1 hands during an extra ante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There should be a Joker that gives +2 Joker slots with a big downside imo