Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You can still play other hands, it'll just refuse to give you any points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

What do other people think of the decks available in this demo? Obviously none of them are as good as the Abandoned deck was, but Magic and Anaglyph just seem really gimmicky, while the other one is just generically above average. Sometimes you'll get a really good early tarot card like the random joker one to make Magic take off, but Anaglyph seems even more reliant on good rng to be better than default given how bad it is to skip blinds generally.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've been trying to go up the stakes with ghost deck, and holy poo poo does the game get hard fast. Been stuck on the green stake for a couple hours now, and there's at least 3 more stakes to go it looks like. I cannot imagine what insanely good luck you'd need to win on the 3rd stake or higher.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 21, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've finished all the stakes with ghost deck now and man, the game gets extremely nasty as you get up there. In order you get hit with, 3 -> 0$ reward from small blinds, "required score from antes scales faster for each ante" resulting in ante 8's boss requiring 280k?, "shops can have eternal jokers" which are just jokers that can't be destroyed or sold once you buy them making some lovely throwaway jokers unbuyable, -1 to discards, faster scaling again resulting in 8's boss requiring 360k, booster packs cost $1 more per ante, and lastly -1 to hand size.
It felt like a lot of runs were just flat out dead in the first ante due to not being offered any usable early game jokers, and the 2nd ante small blind is basically impossible without anything above the basic deck.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 22, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Tombot posted:

Does the "Oops all sixes" Joker card work with the Wheel of fortune card? Because that would be a good synergy.

It works with anything that has an X in X result, this includes penalties like the 1 in 7 face down blind.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I've now beaten all the challenges but 20, which I'm unsure of how it's even possible. Removing jokers from the game entirely is certainly questionable, I guess you just have to get a ton of glass/steel cards?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I have now beaten all 20 challenges, the last challenge was just bashing my face into an rng wall until booster packs gave me some god playing cards and having rng cooperate long enough to slowly convert the deck into one suite that was almost entirely glass/steel cards.
Back to playing the normal actually fun game then.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 24, 2024

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I nearly always pick the -ante vouchers, it winds up being a lot of extra opportunities to grow your run, unless you're black deck at which point only having 2 hands is a great way to die to The Water.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The more I play plasma deck going up in ante the more I'm convinced it's actually the worst high ante deck in the game. It has exactly two builds that work after ante 2, and those are "tons of flat chip jokers" and "tons of multi multi jokers". Winning the first two blinds for free does not make up for the fact that the vast majority of jokers are completely unusable. Normal decks can make use of flat multi in the midgame to get a proper engine going, or just have enough planet levels + enough flat multi to brute force through ante 8, plasma deck just dies in ante 3 most of the time I find.
This doesn't really apply to low/no stakes runs because you don't need to scale quite as fast.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Photograph can be okay in retrigger decks as well, if you play that king 3 times it suddenly starts being a bit more meaningful.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Madness doesn't care if it eats anything, the dagger does.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Lemon posted:

I got Madness on the first shop and thought I'd give it a try. I knew it wouldn't go far in endless, but figured it would be neat to see if I could win a game with it. Concentrated on enhancing as many cards and upgrading hands as possible.

Made it to the last ante and...

lol oh well

Yeah that's easy to solve, if you even need the cards themselves, a 12x madness is probably enough to just brute force 100k. Alternatively just pick up 2 jokers in the shop before the boss blind.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Cards have three possible upgrades and can have up to one of each. Standard pack cards can have 0 to 3 of them pre-applied.
Enhancements which just come from tarot cards, multi/bonus/lucky/steel/glass/stone.
Editions which are holo/foil/polychrome and come from spectral packs.
Seals which are gold/purple/red/blue and also just come from spectral packs.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Plasma isn't really that complicated in the end, you either stack as many flat chips as you can or as much multiplier multiplier as you can. The more balanced your chips & multi are to begin with, the less value the deck gives you which you need with the doubled blind requirements.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

It's not great, you basically just have to get god cards from standard packs and also a bunch of glass cards & useful planets, and also not have the glass cards break and also get them all early. My winning run got a holo gold seal multi card that I duped a few times and then managed to turn most of the rest of the deck into glass cards by the end.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Elman posted:

How many attempts did it take? It just seems completely bonkers. If it's gonna ask you to do something like this it should at least give you some kind of advantage like other challenges do.

Hundreds, with the vast majority of them being hard resets after not getting anything game winningly useful after the first two shops. Just me spamming one or two shops, opening the occasional standard pack that showed up and hoping to find a god card to even attempt a run with, I had one previous run that had a chance that got hard countered by a boss blind disabling that run's god card. My recommendation if you're not a completionist is simply "don't."

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

None of the challenges are really that bad until the last three, since all the ones before that point are mostly just weird gimmick runs, while the last three are genuinely just there to make the game harder with basically no real upsides, or literally none for 20.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The food jokers and jokers that have to be sold to do anything, other than the egg for some reason, can't have an eternal sticker.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Looking at it briefly, it doesn't appear to correctly acknowledge "held in hand" abilities or steel.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

More messing about to try and find things that are broken, it seems like it's copying the edition from source jokers for brainstorm/blueprint, which isn't how it works in actual Balatro.

You can reorder your hand to change the order of "held in hand" ability triggers but I think the only way that ever matters is if you have shoot the moon + steel cards.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Ride The Bus, Supernova and Green Joker are all S tier high stakes jokers if you get them in ante 1/2, maybe 3 if your other jokers can pull their weight for a bit as they get going, you just pivot into playing "a pair" and then win. Then you run into the needle and die but that's Balatro.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Spare trousers is better but it's also an uncommon vs a common so it's much rarer to see in a given run.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Retriggers stack additively.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I believe 1 in 4 to mean that it should work 99% of the time.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

We've got Jimbo the Joker, what more do people want???

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Space joker can be good on runs where you're just going to wind up spamming pair/high card, but you'd generally prefer to just have burnt joker.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Vagabond is a joker that will probably win you a gold stakes run on its own, it also will make your run take like 3x as long.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services hands, discards, chips and multi.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I don't really like Plasma deck, all you can do is stack chips from jokers, or xmult. On a normal run there's a lot of combinations of things that can wind up working, while plasma is solely concerned with stacking raw chips which is hard due to how few jokers actually do that, or xmult which is also generally fairly limited/non compatible with eachother.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

MJeff posted:

Who do you want first, Baseball Card or Constellation?

Baseball card triggers its effect on the location of the uncommon jokers, so it can be placed anywhere.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Only time I've managed to make obelisk work was on a Vagabond run, where I just went "okay good enough" and stopped generating high card tarots and just finished the run, but it probably would've won anyways because Vagabond.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Golden needle is mostly just getting the right jokers for some form of niche hand that will oneshot every blind, since you get to many discards you pretty much guarantee you can draw into your one good hand. Very RNG like all 3 of the last challenges, but it's the most reasonable of them I think.
Jokerless is just bad, you constantly clear ante 1 small blind, look for standard packs, open them and look for some sort of god card, holo/poly +gold or red seal mostly, and then actually draw it in the proceeding blinds and also get enough deaths to turn your deck into that card, and then not get "card type is debuffed" or the final blind which disables cards until you sell a joker, etc etc etc. Also you have to pray that not too many of your glass cards break before you win, because they're 100% required for it to be beatable.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

On high antes you just simply lose a significant portion of your runs without any decisions you make having an impact, quite often in like ante 2 or 3 due to just not getting shops that have anything actually useful in them.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Anaglyph feels like it exists to get a giant pile of negative jokers when trying to do E scoring nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Square joker is good because you can just play 3 garbage cards and high card or 2 & pair, and just use the excess cards as free discards.