Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Didn't notice the thread here earlier, pasting my post from the steam thread:

sirtommygunn posted:

Found an easy busted build in Balatro:

Midas Mask on the left so it triggers first, Vampire then sucks the gold out of all your face cards for up to an extra 1.0 multiplier every hand you play. Blueprint is to the left of Vampire, and it copies the full multiplier, so at 10x my score grows to 100x. Getting millions of points off a pair of twos.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think the black deck needs an extra dollar or two added at the start to get the ball rolling. I've tried to get it running about 6 times and I'm always getting killed in the first 3 antes. I'm not playing greedy either - if the game offers me anything that will help me immediately, I take it. It's so difficult to reach a point where its advantage even does anything and it's really late before that extra joker slot is better than a 4th hand.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Had a very good run with an all-face flush build thanks to a legendary joker that gave an extra 1x multiplier every time a face card was destroyed. Could have made it to ante 13 with a little more luck in the shop, only made it to 14 cards burned by the end of the run even taking every tarot and spectral pack opportunity presented as well as glass or purple stamp cards. Never seemed to get the right tarot cards and the glass only broke 3x out of 20 or so uses.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would like there to be more space between the reroll and next round buttons, and also a "go back to shop" button. Accidentally walked into the Arm without spending my $100 bux.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

I went from not winning any games to whatever the heck this was (my 2nd ever win).

This was the real star of the show:

Blueprint doubling a 9.5x Canio just murdered blinds left and right, and I had 2 Pair at level 11 (and most other hands above 5 or 6) thanks to all the free planets I was getting.

I should have ditched the 8 ball, but I got greedy trying to level up more hands.

Put your your xmultiplier jokers to the right so they're applied last, it will make a big difference in your score.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kin posted:

Am I right on thinking that to begin with I should just be buying as many new cards as possible to then unlock more features that make it easier to progress?

Nah, the locked cards aren't strictly better or anything, in fact they're usually aimed at making very niche builds viable and thus make your overall pool of jokers worse.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

hosed up a run with ante 13/14 potential by forgetting to move my blueprint off of my DNA and onto my holographic. RIP my 100 steel/gold stamp aces.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Double Bloodstone (1 out of 3 chance to X2 your multiplier every time a heart card is scored) is very strong, but also terrifying to run. Every hand has the potential to lap the goal a hundred fold or fail to get even a 10th of the way there.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Skipped to get a polychrome joker, it turns out to be Vampire (consumes enhancements to get xmultiplier) which would be great if I didn't have an eternal Driver's License (x3 if you have at least 16 enhanced cards). Not sure if I should still take it, like its clearly a lot stronger than the license and works with my current deck but it would effectively be taking 2 slots.

(Balatro: Vampire would be great but I have an Eternal Driver's License)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't have any issues the first few days playing this but it's crashed on me over 5 times today, anybody else having issues?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Got to ante 14 on the big money challenge with a red stamp/steel/Baron build. I really like the challenges that just let you play out the fantasy of starting with a joker or voucher that snowballs through a run.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Am I right in that there is no real way to modify the deck with standard cards (non holo/etc) to benefit a strategy focused on straights? Like for flushes you can change suits, remove/add cards, etc. I had a run where I got a good lineup of straight based jokers and couldn't really see a reason to buy standard packs or tarots.

I guess if you could reduce your deck to just 5 cards, that would be something.

You want to settle on a target range for your straight based on what other jokers you've got and delete cards that are outside that range. If you're going for low straights destroy face cards, if you're going for high straights then destroy low cards. If you don't have jokers to support a specific range then go for high straights as they give more chips. If you don't care at all about that then you should delete Aces, Kings, and 2s because they're harder to get a straight with as they can only go in one direction.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would say the -1 ante is worth getting anytime that you're running a build that isn't complete enough to win the run or that scales with hands played. 3 hands after an extra ante to improve your poo poo should be stronger than 4 without it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

smoobles posted:

whenever I am not playing Balatro I am thinking about Balatro or sleeping

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

After 30 hours I'm getting kind of tired. I hope they keep adding stuff.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just got a Perkeo (create a negative copy of a consumable in your inventory) off the first pack I opened, along with a uranus in the shop. This has gotta be the run I finally beat the gold stake.

e: nope. somehow can't draw a loving 2 pair consistently even after deleting half the goddamn deck.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 28, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

my cavendish went extinct after 2 loving blinds are you kidding me

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Finally won plasma deck gold stake off of a square/castle build that had both of them built up to 200+ chips. Also had Odd Todd, who has been a common factor in almost all of my deep runs with the plasma deck. It happened so often that I think you should be prioritizing making odd numbered cards over face cards in high stake plasma attempts. Almost lost against the boss that forces you to sell a joker because I had planned on selling my negative +1 discard joker, forgetting that it was permanent. A lot of close moments throughout as I had to kneecap my plays to feed the square and castle.

Can't wait to go back to playing at a difficulty level that is actually fun.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, when multiplying, balancing out the numbers will give you a higher number than if the numbers were extremely favored on one side. Multiplication is just adding a number to itself. If you were paid $100 and you could either get paid $100 again or change that payment to $101, you'd obviously take the second $100 right?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

That feels tremendously specific for a balance change

I don't think it's for balance reasons. Odd Todd giving an even amount of chips just seemed a bit silly.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Alternatively just go all in on chips. If you get 1-2 that scale and can feed them or get Stuntman + a couple of foil jokers, you can clear ante 8 even on gold stake.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah that's why I just don't take those skip tags anymore.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah now you can get even angrier when it doesn't proc a single time in 3 flush hands, killing your run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Straights are harder than others to get going but far from impossible. Their planet card is getting buffed in the next patch to make it more worth the trouble. Best way to improve your odds on them is to clip the ends of your number set (A 2 3 4 K Q) so more cards fall in the range you want.